PDA

View Full Version : Bubble bubble, toil and trouble

ArgoRavi
01-17-2016, 03:01 AM
I thought that this was a good article from the Winnipeg Free Press about the problems that North American pro sports, including the CFL, may be facing in the near future: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/Bubble-bubble-toil-and-trouble-365506561.html

I know that some think that the CFL could have gotten more TV money than they did but the scary thing is that this may end up being the biggest TV deal that they ever get. Will the money still be there in a few years? One can see why they hired Orridge as commissioner to try to find additional revenue streams.

R.J
01-17-2016, 03:07 AM
The freepress is a paywall, so I can't read it.

Double Dare
01-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Bubble bubble, toil and troubleRocketing franchise values, athlete salaries mix with crumbling TV numbers to stir up potentially toxic North American pro sports brewhttp://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/paul_wiecek.jpg By: Paul Wiecek (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/biographies/306293291.html)
Posted: 01/15/2016 9:18 PM | Last Modified: 01/16/2016 11:41 AM | Updates (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/Bubble-bubble-toil-and-trouble-365506561.html#history_popup) | Comments: 20 (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/Bubble-bubble-toil-and-trouble-365506561.html#comments)
<iframe src="http://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-2/html/container.html" style="display: none; visibility: hidden;"></iframe>

Tweet 217
Post 5
Reddit 0
ShareThis 226
Print (javascript:window.print();)
Email 2
<!--endclickprintexclude--> <!-- cxenseparse_start --> The numbers are as absurd as the shaky premise underlying them:
• David Price, a pitcher with a 2-7 lifetime playoff record and a bloated 5.12 earned-run average in the MLB post-season, signs a $217-million (all currency US unless otherwise noted), seven-year contract with the Boston Red Sox.
<figure class="inline photoswipe_slides">http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/333*333/sportscollage.jpg (http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/sportscollage.jpg) <figcaption></figcaption></figure>• The St. Louis Rams announce they’re spending $2.66 billion on a new stadium in a Los Angeles suburb so they can move the NFL franchise back to a city where they failed once before.
• Anze Kopitar, a fine two-way player but a man who might not even be the best player on his NHL team, signs an eight-year, $80-million contract with the Los Angeles Kings.
The only way any of these recent deals make sense is if you believe the professional sports party of the past few decades will never come to an end: franchise valuations will continue to soar, player salaries will continue to skyrocket and fans will continue to pay ever-higher prices to make it all work.
But what if it’s all a house of a cards? What if pro sports is actually an overinflated bubble on the verge of bursting, just as the U.S. housing market did in 2007, the dot-com craze did in 2001 and every other irrational economic boom in history has done, dating to the Dutch tulip bubble of 1637?
Crazy talk, you say? Maybe. But that’s the insidious thing about bubbles — you never know you’re in one until it’s too late.
The warning signs are everywhere, giant red lights flashing that the dubious premise underlying it all — that pro sports is going to save television in the age of the Internet — is a sham.
Consider the evidence:
• Walt Disney Co. stock has plummeted in recent weeks, even as the entertainment conglomerate’s film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, broke box office records to become the fastest movie ever to reach $1 billion in ticket sales.
The problem, says analyst Rich Greenfield, who downgraded Disney to a "sell" last month, is Disney’s sports channel — U.S. broadcasting behemoth ESPN — is killing its bottom line.
"Even the Force cannot protect ESPN," Greenfield wrote in a note to clients. "Disney management made a fundamental mistake by overpaying for sports rights based on overly aggressive multichannel video subscriber projections."
ESPN subscriptions have declined by seven million customers since 2014 as people increasingly abandon cable packages in favour of choosing channels a la carte or simply cutting the cord altogether. Greenfield says ESPN "now appears poised to become Disney’s most troubled business as consumer behaviour shifts rapidly."
• Guess what’s coming to Canada beginning March 1, thanks to new rules put in place by the CRTC? The same a la carte channel ordering that is killing ESPN in the United States is being phased in, meaning millions of Canadians who have been paying for TSN and Sportsnet automatically as part of cable packages will now be able to opt out.
That spells big trouble for TSN and Sportsnet, who are already plagued with ratings declines for sports that they, like ESPN, overpaid to secure the rights.
The C$5.2 billion Rogers paid the NHL in 2013 to secure its broadcast rights is already looking like a disaster: Saturday night’s Hockey Night in Canada ratings are down nine per cent for the early game and 13 per cent for the late game since Rogers took over from the CBC; Sunday night’s Hometown Hockey ratings are down 30 per cent this year over last year; and Sportsnet’s regional ratings are down for the Vancouver Canucks (27 per cent), Toronto Maple Leafs (nine per cent) and Calgary Flames (five per cent), according to Yahoo Sports.
TSN, meanwhile, has had its CFL ratings crater: down 19 per cent in 2015 and 25 per cent overall since the network signed a deal in 2013 that pays the league a record C$40 million a season for its broadcast rights.
One final Canadian parallel with ESPN: like ESPN, TSN also laid off staff in 2015.
• It’s no better outside North America: the Olympic broadcasting rights cash cow is in jeopardy as ever-more reluctant TV networks — with the notable exception of NBC in the U.S. — grow weary of taking a financial bath every two years. Increasingly, the only nations willing to host big international sporting events anymore are dictatorships — we’re looking at you Russia, China and Qatar — whose leaders don’t care how much of the people’s money they lose on a vanity play.
The Daily Beast’s Dave Maney sums it up this way: "The popping and cracking noises emanating from the key support beam in our Temple of Athletics — the TV sports business — foreshadow wild disruptions ahead for the world of sports."
Now, it’s not all bad news. The NFL, for one, continues to deliver monster audiences — an analysis by CNN last month found NFL games account for 22 per cent of the entire viewership of the three main U.S. networks.
And there are regional success stories, including in Winnipeg where — even as Winnipeg Jets tickets are sometimes going unsold this season — TSN3 broadcaster Dennis Beyak has never been more popular.
TSN’s ratings for the first eight weeks of the 2015-16 Jets season were up an astounding 29 per cent year over year, attracting an average audience of 245,000 viewers per game.
Those are huge numbers for a regional broadcast and more good news for an ownership group that has seen the value of its stake in the team more than double in the four-plus seasons the Jets have been in town — to $350 million Forbes magazine says the team was worth in 2015 from the $170 million True North Sports & Entertainment Ltd. paid for the Atlanta Thrashers in 2011.
And that value is poised to soar again: there have been reports the NHL is seeking a $500-million expansion fee as the league considers a return to Quebec City and/or a new franchise in Las Vegas.
True North chairman Mark Chipman and his partner — billionaire David Thomson — are shrewd businessmen, but even they are not triple-your-money-in-five-years shrewd.
The soaring value of the Jets franchise, however, should be more a cause for concern than celebration as this franchise ponders its biggest financial investment to date: what to do about the $152 million in total contracts players Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd and Jacob Trouba are reportedly demanding.
It brings to mind the scene in the movie The Big Short in which a stripper tells the character played by Steve Carell that she owns five homes in Florida because, hey, the price of real estate can only keep going up, right?
It’s funny because we know how it all turned out: sub-prime mortgages very nearly brought down the entire world economy.
Perhaps people shouldn’t own five homes they can’t afford any more than the owner of a hockey team in Winnipeg should let the unsustainable rise in the valuation of his franchise convince him to give a $50-million, long-term contract to an aging defenceman.
It’s interesting that, in some ways, the worldwide sports bubble started at Portage and Main on June 27, 1972 — the day Bobby Hull signed a 10-year, $2.75-million contract the Winnipeg Free Press reported was the richest ever given a North American professional athlete.
The bubble’s been growing ever since, to the point where nothing makes sense anymore.
The question Chipman has to ask himself as he ponders what to do about Byfuglien, Ladd and Trouba isn’t what those three are worth to his franchise; rather, it’s what his franchise is going to be worth when this bubble inevitably pops?
paul.wiecek@freepress.mb.ca
Twitter: @PaulWiecek

ArgoZ
01-17-2016, 09:30 AM
I thought that this was a good article from the Winnipeg Free Press about the problems that North American pro sports, including the CFL, may be facing in the near future: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/Bubble-bubble-toil-and-trouble-365506561.html

I know that some think that the CFL could have gotten more TV money than they did but the scary thing is that this may end up being the biggest TV deal that they ever get. Will the money still be there in a few years? One can see why they hired Orridge as commissioner to try to find additional revenue streams.

Interesting read. Financial problems exist everywhere in the business world. Pro sports takes it to the extreme. In my trade, it costs a company $47/h to pay a union employee to sweep a floor. With this cities housing costs and materialistic lifestyle, it's understandable, but inflation seems out of control. My point is that all society is reaching a financial breaking point, sports with some of the most to lose.

I've always enjoyed the fact that the CFL has had realistic salaries, despite the negative setbacks that come with it. The $90 000+ avg salary today is is still too low for a short career. The 40 million TV deal is on par. It's easy to see that if the league ever lost Toronto's financial tie in, it would eventually be over.

AngeloV
01-17-2016, 09:50 AM
I've always enjoyed the fact that the CFL has had realistic salaries, despite the negative setbacks that come with it. The $90 000+ avg salary today is is still too low for a short career. The 40 million TV deal is on par. It's easy to see that if the league ever lost Toronto's financial tie in, it would eventually be over.

Couldn't agree more. I still watch NHL and NFL, but some of the monies being paid out to these guys is a huge turn off.

Argo57
01-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Couldn't agree more. I still watch NHL and NFL, but some of the monies being paid out to these guys is a huge turn off.

Angelo, the sad part is we have become numb to today's salaries but the numbers are completely stupid and out of whack with what Joe Public makes, IMO the vast majority of this article is dead on, pro sports leagues (NFL,MLB,NBA) and to a slightly lesser extent the NHL conduct themselves like many federal governments, spending like drunken sailors knowing that more cash is on the way.

AngeloV
01-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Angelo, the sad part is we have become numb to today's salaries but the numbers are completely stupid and out of whack with what Joe Public makes, IMO the vast majority of this article is dead on, pro sports leagues (NFL,MLB,NBA) and to a slightly lesser extent the NHL conduct themselves like many federal governments, spending like drunken sailors knowing that more cash is on the way.

Well said.

It's funny, in a warped way, I kind of hope that all the Canadian NHL teams miss the playoffs this year. Rogers would be in huge doo doo if that happens ratings wise.

Argo57
01-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Well said.

It's funny, in a warped way, I kind of hope that all the Canadian NHL teams miss the playoffs this year. Rogers would be in huge doo doo if that happens ratings wise.

You never know, it could happen.
To be honest I don't even follow hockey anymore, the new TV deal is laughable IMO and I'm sure Rogers regrets signing it.

R.J
01-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Thanks Double Dare.
While I'm not a fan of Wiecek, the topic of this piece is very interesting and worth a lot more discussion. I've been saying for the longest time in my inner circle that sports like the Canadian housing market will eventually have to readjust itself. TV has long been used as an excuse as to why fans don't attend games as they did in the past, but even TV is starting to have some issues. All leagues can't continue with the premise that fans will always come and pay their prices, fans should not be taken for granted. As for the CFL, we have no idea what the television landscape will be in 2021, could end up being vastly different, I for one hope that the CFL will finally realize that it needs an over the air presence, I think it could be argued that in 2021 it would be even more important than it is now. After that getting a U.S and international tv deals, along with a streaming service deal are crucial, as I think at least for the near foreseeable future they are the apart of what's to come.

OV Argo
01-17-2016, 02:31 PM
You never know, it could happen.
To be honest I don't even follow hockey anymore, the new TV deal is laughable IMO and I'm sure Rogers regrets signing it.

Interesting 57. I hardly watch much NHL anymore and years ago was a huge fan; now - I still follow my fave team (Red Wings) a bit, but don't watch many complete NHL games and there are so many on TV. Still love the game of hockey, and like to watch international competition (World Juniors, Olympics, IIHF stuff), and get into the Stanley Cup play-offs, but the NHL - led by a total a$$-hat in Bettman and the chicken-$hite wasting away 2 seasons with greedy owners bending over dumb, wimpy players = NHL totally lost me as a big fan. And the salaries there boggle my mind - how the **** can they pay 3rd line average talent big money and even a very good league minimum when their TV deal is not even close to what the NFL or MLB gets ??? - I guess they generate plenty of revenue somehow. But their regular season product it total boring garbage on a lot of nights - IMO.

paulwoods13
01-17-2016, 02:46 PM
As for the CFL, we have no idea what the television landscape will be in 2021, could end up being vastly different, I for one hope that the CFL will finally realize that it needs an over the air presence, I think it could be argued that in 2021 it would be even more important than it is now.

First statement is absolutely true. But re the second point: I think there is a better-than-even chance there will be no such thing as "over-the-air" TV as we currently know it six years from now. There may be nothing resembling the current TV universe in any format -- over-the-air, cable, IP etc. I think a case can definitely be made that an OTA presence now would be a good thing, but trying to guess what the universe will look like in six years is pointless. In the current media landscape, six years is about two lifetimes.

R.J
01-17-2016, 02:48 PM
And the salaries there boggle my mind - how the **** can they pay 3rd line average talent big money and even a very good league minimum when their TV deal is not even close to what the NFL or MLB gets ??? - I guess they generate plenty of revenue somehow.
I've never understood this either. The NHL currently makes about $1 Billion less than the NBA, almost 1/3 of what the MLB generates, just under 1/4 the revenue the NFL makes and yet the NHL's salary cap is above the NBA's (currently until the new tv deal kicks in next season I believe), at about MLB's low range and 1/3 of the high range and half of the NFL's salary cap.

OV Argo
01-17-2016, 08:32 PM
I've never understood this either. The NHL currently makes about $1 Billion less than the NBA, almost 1/3 of what the MLB generates, just under 1/4 the revenue the NFL makes and yet the NHL's salary cap is above the NBA's (currently until the new tv deal kicks in next season I believe), at about MLB's low range and 1/3 of the high range and half of the NFL's salary cap.

Well - NHL teams have a roster of less than half the size of an NFL one to pay; and NHL teams get 42 home dates on the season, compared to 8 for an NFL team (even with much smaller seating capacity compared to football stadiums, the NHL can get more bums in the seats over a season).

However - I had no idea that the NHL's TV revenues were close to a quarter of what the NFL brings in (is this correct?) - I woulda thought/guessed that the NFL had something more like 20 to 50 xs the TV revenue of the NHL - which is huge in Canada, but still has paltry ratings in a lot of the States compared to the NFL. Is there an accurate source out there that lists pro sports teams' revenues ?

R.J
01-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Well - NHL teams have a roster of less than half the size of an NFL one to pay; and NHL teams get 42 home dates on the season, compared to 8 for an NFL team (even with much smaller seating capacity compared to football stadiums, the NHL can get more bums in the seats over a season).

However - I had no idea that the NHL's TV revenues were close to a quarter of what the NFL brings in (is this correct?) - I woulda thought/guessed that the NFL had something more like 20 to 50 xs the TV revenue of the NHL - which is huge in Canada, but still has paltry ratings in a lot of the States compared to the NFL. Is there an accurate source out there that lists pro sports teams' revenues ?
The NHL's overall revenue is around $3.3-3.5 billion and the NFL's is just over $11 Billion, not tv revenue. Media revenue for the NFL is over $6 Billion, not sure what the NHL's is due do all the regional deals. The amount of players and 41 home dates is moot, as the NFL still bring in much larger revenue, even if you take out the media deals, the NFL still makes double the NHL. I brought up the NBA tv deal, because they signed a monster deal with TNT and ABC which will kick in for the 2016-17 season. The NBA also has just over half the roster size of hockey and their salary cap is below the NHL's, again until next season. The NBA and NHL each "share" 50% of the revenue's with the players, so it makes even less sense, seeing as the NBA currently makes about $1 Billion more than the NHL.

Antwon
01-17-2016, 09:10 PM
I think we're in for a partial burst at the least. The NFL in the US seems somewhat immune but the NHL is ripe in Canada for a crash.
I'm a die hard Habs fan in Ontario. Weekday games are not available to me because I don't buy in to the NHL or Rogers packages. So I don't watch and catch the score later in the night. How does that help ratings?? Which in turn affects ratings and $$$.
MLB salaries are beyond stupid! NHL are stupid and heading for unmanageable.

OV Argo
01-17-2016, 09:22 PM
The NHL's overall revenue is around $3.3-3.5 billion and the NFL's is just over $11 Billion, not tv revenue. Media revenue for the NFL is over $6 Billion, not sure what the NHL's is due do all the regional deals. The amount of players and 41 home dates is moot, as the NFL still bring in much larger revenue, even if you take out the media deals, the NFL still makes double the NHL. I brought up the NBA tv deal, because they signed a monster deal with TNT and ABC which will kick in for the 2016-17 season. The NBA also has just over half the roster size of hockey and their salary cap is below the NHL's, again until next season. The NBA and NHL each "share" 50% of the revenue's with the players, so it makes even less sense, seeing as the NBA currently makes about $1 Billion more than the NHL.

Again - is there an accurate (even close) source for these revenues? I guess you are talking yearly figures? Rogers paid 5 bil or so for NHL TV rights (over how many years?), but what does the NFL's TV contracts bring in ?

I still find it very hard to believe the NHL is even within a 10th of what the NFL gets (ALL revenues or TV money) The roster sizes matter in terms of pay-outs to players.

argolio
01-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Again - is there an accurate (even close) source for these revenues? I guess you are talking yearly figures? Rogers paid 5 bil or so for NHL TV rights (over how many years?), but what does the NFL's TV contracts bring in ?According to Forbes:

NFL teams will divvy up nearly $7 billion in media money starting in 2014. That is more than $200 million per team every year before one ticket, beer or jersey is sold.

paulwoods13
01-18-2016, 07:01 AM
$7.24 billion in 2014 -- $226 million per team, to be precise.

OV Argo
01-18-2016, 08:12 PM
According to Forbes:

Thanks for the info. Any idea on what NHL teams get per year in "media money" ?

Tau Ceti
01-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Any idea on what NHL teams get per year in "media money" ?

In the neighbourhood of $15M USD. Given that Canada provides about two-thirds of this the Canadian teams take a somewhat larger share. Not sure how much. And I believe the league passes on one out every two extra dollars to the players via increased cap.

I'm recycling info I recall from the Sportnet deal. There may be more precise figures out there for the current year.

R.J
01-18-2016, 09:03 PM
The NHL media deals are worth a lot more than $15 million USD per team. The Rogers-NHL deal is worth $5.2 Billion CDN over 12 years and the NBC-NHL deal is worth $2 Billion USD over 10. The problem in trying to figure out the total "Media" revenue is that every team has a regional deal and not all those numbers are released, nor is the Sirius Radio and digital deals. The Sens currently receive up to $400 million over 12 years from TSN (deal includes sponsorship IIRC), The Canadiens receive around $60 million from RDS for the French language rights, and Sportnet has the English language deal, but I haven't seen what the deal is worth.

Tau Ceti
01-18-2016, 09:17 PM
The NHL media deals are worth a lot more than $15 million USD per team. The Rogers-NHL deal is worth $5.2 Billion CDN over 12 years and the NBC-NHL deal is worth $2 Billion USD over 10. The problem in trying to figure out the total "Media" revenue is that every team has a regional deal and not all those numbers are released, nor is the Sirius Radio and digital deals. The Sens currently receive up to $400 million over 12 years from TSN (deal includes sponsorship IIRC), The Canadiens receive around $60 million from RDS for the French language rights, and Sportnet has the English language deal, but I haven't seen what the deal is worth.

Do the math. Averaged out over ten years the two figures you just quoted are $21M USD per year per team. Assume the league takes something up front for admin and publicity and $15M USD is about right.

R.J
01-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Do the math. Averaged out over ten years the two figures you just quoted are $21M USD per year per team. Assume the league takes something up front for admin and publicity and $15M USD is about right.
Doesn't include the Regional rights deals, which is tied into the Media rights deals. The NFL is different, because they don't have Regional tv deals, while MLB, NBA and NHL do.

Tau Ceti
01-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Doesn't include the Regional rights deals, which is tied into the Media rights deals. The NFL is different, because they don't have Regional tv deals, while MLB, NBA and NHL do.

Oh sorry, I thought the question at hand was how much the league deals are worth. I think we can safely say that's $15-20M USD. Absolutely, regional deals would add a few tens of millions to the table, particularly for the Leafs and Habs. I'd be especially curious to know what TSN paid for Leaf crumbs but can't find it at the moment.

R.J
01-18-2016, 10:04 PM
I'd be especially curious to know what TSN paid for Leaf crumbs but can't find it at the moment.
That's a good question, seeing as Rogers and Bell own the Leafs, how much are they paying for the Regional rights deals ? Also, are games still airing live on Leafs tv ?

OV Argo
01-19-2016, 01:29 AM
SO - NFL teams get somewhere around 226 million $ per team yearly in media money; and the NHL is around 15 to 20 mil per team ? Is that close?

More like I woulda guessed - NFL teams get more than 10x the media money than NHL teams do; yet the NHL can afford to pay average joe players close to the same as NFL minimum wage ??? I don't get that. Obviously there are other revenue streams involved, but I guess NFL teams make wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more money than NHL teams do?

ArgoRavi
01-19-2016, 02:05 AM
That's a good question, seeing as Rogers and Bell own the Leafs, how much are they paying for the Regional rights deals ? Also, are games still airing live on Leafs tv ?

The only live games on Leafs TV now are the preseason games.

AngeloV
01-19-2016, 09:15 AM
SO - NFL teams get somewhere around 226 million $ per team yearly in media money; and the NHL is around 15 to 20 mil per team ? Is that close?

More like I woulda guessed - NFL teams get more than 10x the media money than NHL teams do; yet the NHL can afford to pay average joe players close to the same as NFL minimum wage ??? I don't get that. Obviously there are other revenue streams involved, but I guess NFL teams make wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more money than NHL teams do?

That is why the NHL ticket prices are so high. Lower bowl ST's for the Leafs will set you back at least 8k per seat--that's about $80M in annual revenue just from lower bowl ticket sales.

I made the decision in the late 90's never to pay for Leafs tickets again. When they moved from the Gardens to the ACC, there was an instant crazy jump in ticket price. I remember going to a game in '92 and bought Red tickets with a face value of $32. Damn...I wish my salary would jump at the same rate as these ticket prices.

1argoholic
01-19-2016, 10:39 AM
GREAT read and basically what I've been chirping about on here for quite a while now. Why I love the CFL and can relate to our league. I can't relate to the stupid money being paid out to the so called major sports league's players. I can't relate to dozens of vehicles parked in their massive garages under their massive homes. Yet kids gobble this crap up and seem to think that anyone who isn't overpaid is nothing.
This is today's society when people all must live in ten bedroom homes with multiple cars. Funny how large families used to live in wee bungalows and do just fine.

I haven't paid to see an NHL game since the 80's. In fact I can't remember exactly it's been so long. Jays lost me way back. Won't pay to watch basketball or soccer. Neither interest me. Been to two or three NFL games in the 80's.

For the longest time I kept saying to my wife who's from Calgary that something has to give. Calgary was getting way to high and mighty with everyone living very high on the hog or should I say beef. All driving fancy new vehicles and living in massive homes. Young guys with garages full of toys and these massive trucks. Well that bubble blew big time. Wonder how easy it is to sell those big assed trucks now that they are hurting.

The CFL just keeps on slugging through.

Double Dare
01-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Calgary was getting way to high and mighty with everyone living very high on the hog or should I say beef. All driving fancy new vehicles and living in massive homes. Young guys with garages full of toys and these massive trucks. Well that bubble blew big time. Wonder how easy it is to sell those big assed trucks now that they are hurting.

They are all being sold down in the States.

R.J
01-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Total NFL revenue was $12 Billion for the 2014-2015 season, this season it's expected to be around $13 Billion. NHL Revenue was $3.7 billion in 2013-2014 and $3.98 Billion in 2014-2015. MLB National tv deals are a combined $12.4 billion over 8 years, there are also regional deals of which MLB takes 34% off each deal, then shares it across the league. MLB made $9 billion in 2014 and around $9.5 billion for 2015.

National tv deals are not the sole media rights in sports, as an example part of the NFL's "media money" is the Directv deal, which pays the NFL $1.5 billion annually, they also have a National radio deal with Westwood One and a digital radio deal with tunein.

Also found this : http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/nba-tv-deal-how-the-new-24b-contract-stacks-up-against-other-leagues-1.2790143
CFL deal seems a bit low.

OV Argo
01-19-2016, 08:03 PM
Total NFL revenue was $12 Billion for the 2014-2015 season, this season it's expected to be around $13 Billion. NHL Revenue was $3.7 billion in 2013-2014 and $3.98 Billion in 2014-2015. MLB National tv deals are a combined $12.4 billion over 8 years, there are also regional deals of which MLB takes 34% off each deal, then shares it across the league. MLB made $9 billion in 2014 and around $9.5 billion for 2015.

National tv deals are not the sole media rights in sports, as an example part of the NFL's "media money" is the Directv deal, which pays the NFL $1.5 billion annually, they also have a National radio deal with Westwood One and a digital radio deal with tunein.

Also found this : http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/nba-tv-deal-how-the-new-24b-contract-stacks-up-against-other-leagues-1.2790143
CFL deal seems a bit low.

Thanks for the info.

I am a bit suspicious of all these mind-numbing numbers however - I'm sure the truth is out there somewhere though Mulder & Scully. I wouldn't trust anything to do with or coming out of the mouth of that little weasel Bettman.

How can the NFL have more than 10x the "media" revenue of the NHL but only be around 3 times ahead in "total revenue" ???; NHL teams might be able to sell a few more tickets/seats on a season with 42 home games, but I would bet the NFL is wayyyy ahead in merchandise sales since they are popular right across the US as opposed to limited / pockets for the NHL; (and i see almost as much NFL gear up here as I do NHL merch.) And the NFL's much higher prestige and presence in the States must mean more/better advertising/partnership revenue too ?

R.J
01-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

I am a bit suspicious of all these mind-numbing numbers however - I'm sure the truth is out there somewhere though Mulder & Scully. I wouldn't trust anything to do with or coming out of the mouth of that little weasel Bettman.

How can the NFL have more than 10x the "media" revenue of the NHL but only be around 3 times ahead in "total revenue" ???; NHL teams might be able to sell a few more tickets/seats on a season with 42 home games, but I would bet the NFL is wayyyy ahead in merchandise sales since they are popular right across the US as opposed to limited / pockets for the NHL; (and i see almost as much NFL gear up here as I do NHL merch.) And the NFL's much higher prestige and presence in the States must mean more/better advertising/partnership revenue too ?
EDIT : The NFL's media money are all pretty much National deals and are controlled by the NFL (even the international deals), IMO it's unfair to compare the NFL media deals and the NHL 2 National deals, as not all of the NHL's regional deals are announced. I've already brought up how the Montreal Canadiens receive $60 million from RDS, no info on their English language Sportnet deal. Ottawa gets up to $400 million over 12 years from TSN, the Pens new regional deal is worth around $32 million per year (The Pens actually have the highest average regional sports network ratings for any U.S.-based MLB, NBA or NHL team). LA Kings 12-year, $250 million deal, Leafs = $41 million per year according to forbes a couple of years ago. The NHL also has the NHL Network, regional and satellite radio deals and a digital deal (worth $1.2 Billion over 10 years and 10% equity in MLBAM). Also, something to keep in mind, sponsorship revenue for the NHL as a league and most individual teams are growing.

argotom
01-19-2016, 09:44 PM
GREAT read and basically what I've been chirping about on here for quite a while now. Why I love the CFL and can relate to our league. I can't relate to the stupid money being paid out to the so called major sports league's players. I can't relate to dozens of vehicles parked in their massive garages under their massive homes. Yet kids gobble this crap up and seem to think that anyone who isn't overpaid is nothing.
This is today's society when people all must live in ten bedroom homes with multiple cars. Funny how large families used to live in wee bungalows and do just fine.

I haven't paid to see an NHL game since the 80's. In fact I can't remember exactly it's been so long. Jays lost me way back. Won't pay to watch basketball or soccer. Neither interest me. Been to two or three NFL games in the 80's.

For the longest time I kept saying to my wife who's from Calgary that something has to give. Calgary was getting way to high and mighty with everyone living very high on the hog or should I say beef. All driving fancy new vehicles and living in massive homes. Young guys with garages full of toys and these massive trucks. Well that bubble blew big time. Wonder how easy it is to sell those big assed trucks now that they are hurting.

The CFL just keeps on slugging through.

Agree with you #1, most of us can relate to the CFL athlete making $100k, definitely not the obscene money made in the other leagues and which for me as well has been a complete turn off.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8