PDA

View Full Version : Canada's Greatest Athlete passes away

Will
01-18-2016, 03:13 PM

"Iron" Mike Sharpe passed in Hamilton over the weekend.

gilthethrill
01-18-2016, 03:17 PM
NO!!! This is terrible.....another of my favourite youth sports figures gone far too soon.....:(

Rocket
01-18-2016, 04:59 PM

"Iron" Mike Sharpe passed in Hamilton over the weekend.

Iron Mike didn't get that many victories as being a jobber but he did give effort in the ring making many wrestlers get over with the crowd and into stardom.
R.i.p iron Mike

Ron
01-19-2016, 03:01 AM
Nobody was ever better outside the ring during a match.

1argoholic
01-19-2016, 10:40 AM
I only watched the midgets.

Double Dare
01-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Not the "sharp"est Mike in the ring.

Will
01-19-2016, 10:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVOsmGnD1o

doubleblue
01-21-2016, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVOsmGnD1o

Lol. Those guys were great actors back then. I use to get a big laugh out of the Bush Whackers from supposedly down under. Also the former Argo and his two by four (can't remember his name).

Will
01-21-2016, 07:02 PM
The former Argo you are referring to is Hacksaw Jim Duggan

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

AngeloV
01-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Iron Mike didn't get that many victories as being a jobber but he did give effort in the ring making many wrestlers get over with the crowd and into stardom.
R.i.p iron Mike

Trust me when I say this, Iron Mike was no jobber. It was late in his career when Vince used him as enhancement talent, but before Vince took over the company from his dad, Iron Mike was a main eventer for many years.

ArgoRavi
01-22-2016, 12:11 AM
Trust me when I say this, Iron Mike was no jobber. It was late in his career when Vince used him as enhancement talent, but before Vince took over the company from his dad, Iron Mike was a main eventer for many years.

Did you wrestle with him, AV?

gilthethrill
01-22-2016, 07:38 AM

Oh for sure...many other wrestlers fall into that same category as Iron Mike....thought I would share my favorite wrestling memory that I posted on Canoe sports years ago... hope people on the forum don't object...

I recall at a live WWF event held in Kitchener in the late 1980's. A group of us had seats above the entrance that the wrestlers used to enter the ring. When Iron Mike walked down the aisle towards the ring, we rose up out of our seats, wearing black forearm bands, making loud "Iron Mike" noises.

Iron Mike (the man was huge by the way), stopped, looked up at us and grinned. It was priceless. He subsequently lost to Hillbilly Jim that evening.....

My Name,

Mount Forest Ont.

Double Dare
01-22-2016, 08:59 AM
NOT PC (Politically Correct).

But I saw midget wresting live once ... Little Hitler (in full Nazi uniform, with a mustache) VS Little Beaver (full Indian garb with a headdress, and reddish make-up).

Will
01-22-2016, 09:03 AM
NOT PC (Politically Correct).

But I saw midget wresting live once ... Little Hitler (in full Nazi uniform, with a mustache) VS Little Beaver (full Indian garb with a headdress, and reddish make-up).

Oh none of those midget wrestlers had PC names. There was the Haiti Kid who Roddy Piper I believe gave a mohawk before the terrible boxing match with Mr. T at Wrestlemania 2. There was also Lord Littlebrook, Little Tokyo and Sky Low Low. Remember when King Kong Bundy bodyslammed and elbow dropped Little Beaver at Wrestlemania 3?

gilthethrill
01-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Oh none of those midget wrestlers had PC names. There was the Haiti Kid who Roddy Piper I believe gave a mohawk before the terrible boxing match with Mr. T at Wrestlemania 2. There was also Lord Littlebrook, Little Tokyo and Sky Low Low. Remember when King Kong Bundy bodyslammed and elbow dropped Little Beaver at Wrestlemania 3?

I am sure it took Little Beaver 5 seconds to reach the mat....he was so far up!

AngeloV
01-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Did you wrestle with him, AV?

No, he was already retired when I got into it. From all I heard, he was a tough SOB in the ring. Very solid with his contact. I appreciate that, as it gives a legitimate look to the show.

AngeloV
01-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Oh for sure...many other wrestlers fall into that same category as Iron Mike....thought I would share my favorite wrestling memory that I posted on Canoe sports years ago... hope people on the forum don't object...

I recall at a live WWF event held in Kitchener in the late 1980's. A group of us had seats above the entrance that the wrestlers used to enter the ring. When Iron Mike walked down the aisle towards the ring, we rose up out of our seats, wearing black forearm bands, making loud "Iron Mike" noises.

Iron Mike (the man was huge by the way), stopped, looked up at us and grinned. It was priceless. He subsequently lost to Hillbilly Jim that evening.....

My Name,

Mount Forest Ont.

Nice!!!

Will
01-22-2016, 03:08 PM
As Angelo points out, Iron Mike got a bit of a push when the WWF was transitioning from territorial entity to national entity. I think he wrestled Bob Backlund when he was champion. But, by the time Superstars debuted in 1986 he was pretty much doing jobber duty (with a twist).

Ron
01-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Interesting tidbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtO90XtDRzU

OV Argo
01-23-2016, 12:04 AM
No, he was already retired when I got into it. From all I heard, he was a tough SOB in the ring. Very solid with his contact. I appreciate that, as it gives a legitimate look to the show.

Glenn Kulka had a brief WWF tour or look did he not ?

Kulka = very good CFL D-lineman; played a bit of pro hockey (in one of the lower minor pro leagues); later in his career had some pro MMA bouts; and acted in the fine sport of pro rasslin". = what a multi-sport athlete.

AngeloV
01-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Glenn Kulka had a brief WWF tour or look did he not ?

Kulka = very good CFL D-lineman; played a bit of pro hockey (in one of the lower minor pro leagues); later in his career had some pro MMA bouts; and acted in the fine sport of pro rasslin". = what a multi-sport athlete.

Kulka was a great athlete and football player, but he had a tough time shaking the steroid accusations. The man was REALLY Jakked.

ArgoRavi
01-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Kulka was a great athlete and football player, but he had a tough time shaking the steroid accusations. The man was REALLY Jakked.

I am pretty sure that Kulka has since admitted to using steroids although that admission was hardly a surprise.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8