PDA

View Full Version : Sophomore Stars

jerrym
01-19-2016, 01:18 AM
The following article discusses sophomore stars, comers and sleepers on each team. I've highlighted the article's Argo selections below. What's your opinion in the Argo and other team selections?

Sophomore Star: Vidal Hazelton and Diontae Spencer
Kevin Elliott and Tori Gurley should be mentioned but since they didn’t technically qualify as rookies, we’ll keep our focus on the other two young receivers in Hazelton and Spencer. Those two helped transform the Argo offence in one short off-season, one that could now be one of the most explosive in 2016.
Hazelton was the runner-up to Derel Walker for Most Outstanding Rookie, while the diminutive Spencer is elusive and almost impossible to tackle in the open field. Both were plagued by inconsistency last season as Spencer struggled to always find the field while Hazelton faced disciplinary issues, but both should move past that this upcoming season.
Keep an Eye On: Daryl Waud
Waud fell to the Argos in the second round and made it to training camp after making the surprise decision to leave the Washington Redskins and end his NFL aspirations. The 6-foot-5, 290-pound Western grad could be a centerpiece of the Argos’ D-line after last year playing in 10 games and recording three sacks, especially with the potential departures of Cleyon Laing and Euclid Cummings.
Sophomore Sleeper: Martin Wright
Wright was a late cut at Argos training camp last year then re-joined the team later in the year – and when he did finally get into games he made an impact. The 27-year-old recorded three sacks and a forced fumble in only seven games last season and, like Waud, could look to fill the void on the Argos’ D-line left by pending free agents

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/01/08/sophomore-stars-who-to-watch-in-2016/ (http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/01/08/sophomore-stars-who-to-watch-in-2016/)

Will
01-19-2016, 11:09 AM
I can't wait to see what Spencer can do in a full season. I also hope that the "Big 3" have cleaned up some of their disciplinary issues and can take the next step in their progression. I'm hoping for a couple of 1,000-yard receivers this season.

Daryl Waud could be seeing significantly more playing time depending on what happens with Euclid Cummings and Cleyon Laing. Ideally, I'd want one or both to return, but with the addition of Monroe and Waud I'm not as concerned.

R.J
01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm anxious to see what the Big Three, Spencer and Waud can do with a full season under their belt. Waud really impressed me in his non starting role, love his motor and i have also heard some very good things about him. Once the new jerseys come out I'm planning on getting a Waud 99 jersey, to go along with my Greenwood jersey (which I got for Christmas) and quite a few others.

AngeloV
01-19-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm anxious to see what the Big Three, Spencer and Waud can do with a full season under their belt. Waud really impressed me in his non starting role, love his motor and i have also heard some very good things about him. Once the new jerseys come out I'm planning on getting a Waud 99 jersey, to go along with my Greenwood jersey (which I got for Christmas) and quite a few others.

I can see one of the big 3 losing their spots to Bates this year. Phil Bates is a really physical player and showed good hands.

OV Argo
01-19-2016, 03:23 PM
I can see one of the big 3 losing their spots to Bates this year. Phil Bates is a really physical player and showed good hands.

There won't be playing room for the big 3 plus Owens, Spencer , and Bates , plus a newcomer like Gallon might have a great camp ... even if they went with an all-import receiving corps. I liked Bates too (fairly limited view though), but Spencer showed even more IMO (though a different style receiver). Hazelton impressed me the least of the so-called big 3 last season - even though he caught the most of the 3 (i think?) - also wasn't impressed by what seemed like a demeanour or attitude issue out of those 3 either - hot-dog/ mouthy/ spinning the ball after simple catches, and seemed to sit by themselves together on the bench (?), plus the discipline problems - maybe I'm mistaken there and they are all really good, smart team guys, or maybe they learned and improve.

Anyhow - lots of TC competition should be really good/important - as always.

R.J
01-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Elliott IMO is the best all around receiver out of the big 3. I agree with Angelo in that I could see one of the big 3 losing their starting spots to Bates and could see it ending up being Elliott, which sucks, so I hope I'm wrong. I think Spencer should take over Owens spot, though I doubt that happens, I'd be more than comfortable with Spencer and Gallon in Owens sb position. Durie and Coombs are locks for the "hybrid" position. Now we need some big upgrades on the offensive line, Centre to Right Tackle.

AngeloV
01-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Elliott IMO is the best all around receiver out of the big 3. I agree with Angelo in that I could see one of the big 3 losing their starting spots to Bates and could see it ending up being Elliott, which sucks, so I hope I'm wrong. I think Spencer should take over Owens spot, though I doubt that happens, I'd be more than comfortable with Spencer and Gallon in Owens sb position. Durie and Coombs are locks for the "hybrid" position. Now we need some big upgrades on the offensive line, Centre to Right Tackle.

I think Gurley and Hazelton are more in jeopardy than Elliott. Remember, they both missed games for disciplinary reasons last year. Elliott didn't. I also like Elliott the best of the 3. Similar to bates, I like the physical aspect he brings. He's great at blocking down field too, which in the Argos system can be huge.

R.J
01-19-2016, 04:51 PM
I also like Elliott the best of the 3. Similar to bates, I like the physical aspect he brings. He's great at blocking down field too, which in the Argos system can be huge.
This is why I fear Elliott could be the odd man out, similar playing style and traits as Bates. I hope not though, like you I'd like to see him on the field with Bates and one of Gurley or Hazelton. At this point I'd put Gurley ahead of Hazelton as I feel he has the better hands of the two.

Wobbler
01-19-2016, 05:40 PM
I suspect that we'll be releasing at least one very good receiver who will end up playing against us this year.

AngeloV
01-19-2016, 08:18 PM
I suspect that we'll be releasing at least one very good receiver who will end up playing against us this year.

Can't wait for the "why did we get rid of him" thread.

R.J
01-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Can't wait for the "why did we get rid of him" thread.
If it's Owens or Durie, I'd honestly have zero issue, I'm sure some will though.

But, I will add. Why did we get rid of Pfeffer ? ;)

ArgoRavi
01-19-2016, 08:42 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if that receiver ended up with Hamilton too.

AngeloV
01-19-2016, 09:29 PM
If it's Owens or Durie, I'd honestly have zero issue, I'm sure some will though.

But, I will add. Why did we get rid of Pfeffer ? ;)

We are definitely on different pages of this book. To me, Owens and Durie can still play and will contribute. Proven players. Pfeffer? We shall see. I say he will be an average kicker, and below average punter.

jerrym
01-19-2016, 10:02 PM
I agree that the Argos will likely lose at least one of their receivers due to the abundance of talent, unless injuries real or feigned occur as TC nears the end. Perhaps a trade before camp to shore up an area of relative weakness might be the best route as trying to make a trade usually yields little near the end of TC, if the other teams know you have to let someone who is talented go. Personally, I like all of the mentioned players, but was most impressed by Spencer, who showed so much promise in limited action.

R.J
01-19-2016, 10:30 PM
We are definitely on different pages of this book. To me, Owens and Durie can still play and will contribute. Proven players.
Yes we are, while I agree that both Durie and Owens can still play and contribute, Spencer IMO showed he could take over Owen's role in the offense and special teams (more so due to Owens no longer being effective on ST's IMO), so from my perspective we can save some money and use it elsewhere. Durie is hard to replace, however in saying that Durie like Owens isn't the most health reliable player on the offense, so that has to come into the picture. IMO Coombs hasn't shown enough that he can take over the hybrid position, but showed flashes that he's elusive and can get the tough yards at times. Locker room leadership has to come into play as well though and both Owens and Durie are great locker room and community leaders, but Saskatchewan just cut two faces of the franchise and leaders, because the money could be spent elsewhere. Guys like Milanovich and O'Shea are too loyal to "their" guys at times IMO and while I appreciate loyalty, I also want to win, which spending money wisely helps with that.

jerrym
01-19-2016, 11:02 PM
Having played 4 games in 2014 and 2 games in 2015 and being 35 in July, I doubt if Durie will be back, as much as I love his play. On the other hand, the Argos need Owens as a recognizable star name in the fan rebuilding process, so I think there is little chance they would let him go this year even with his high salary, especially when he is still talented although his decline has started.

"Issues"Mcgee
01-20-2016, 03:03 AM
I agree that the Argos will likely lose at least one of their receivers due to the abundance of talent, unless injuries real or feigned occur as TC nears the end. Perhaps a trade before camp to shore up an area of relative weakness might be the best route as trying to make a trade usually yields little near the end of TC, if the other teams know you have to let someone who is talented go. Personally, I like all of the mentioned players, but was most impressed by Spencer, who showed so much promise in limited action.

I have to genuinely ask and I apologize if it's an extremely newbie question. Why would anyone feign an injury during training camp?

R.J
01-20-2016, 03:30 AM
Having played 4 games in 2014 and 2 games in 2015 and being 35 in July, I doubt if Durie will be back, as much as I love his play. On the other hand, the Argos need Owens as a recognizable star name in the fan rebuilding process, so I think there is little chance they would let him go this year even with his high salary, especially when he is still talented although his decline has started.
Barker has already said that Durie is coming back, Owens on the other hand remains unsigned, but that could change obviously.

paulwoods13
01-20-2016, 06:26 AM
I have to genuinely ask and I apologize if it's an extremely newbie question. Why would anyone feign an injury during training camp?

Player wouldn't do it but team might place a guy on injured list to keep him, regardless of whether he's really injured. Hamilton does this all the time -- their roster has about 70 guys in mid-season.

AngeloV
01-20-2016, 07:30 AM
(more so due to Owens no longer being effective on ST's IMO).

You do know he had the best average yards per punt return in the league last season, right?

Double Dare
01-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Hopefully one of the BIG 3 goes ... their heads are too BIG. The BIG 2 ... ha, ha.

R.J
01-20-2016, 01:59 PM
You do know he had the best average yards per punt return in the league last season, right?
Tied with Chris Rainey for the lead actually, sorry but I'd take Rainey and Banks over Owens. Owens has lost a step and can't find holes like he used to.

Wobbler
01-20-2016, 04:10 PM
"No longer effective" is a long way from tied for the lead in yards/return, SnowRogue. I think you may have overreached.

R.J
01-20-2016, 04:44 PM
"No longer effective" is a long way from tied for the lead in yards/return, SnowRogue. I think you may have overreached.
You're entitled to your opinion as am I, and personally I don't think stats are the end all be all.

paulwoods13
01-20-2016, 04:55 PM
To me, Owens was a solid but unspectacular returner last year -- always churned out 10-15 yards but didn't break many big ones and didn't have many lousy ones. I suspect the days of him being a truly dominant returner are done but that doesn't mean we should toss him overboard. He brings other stuff to the table including leadership, savvy as a receiver and an "it factor" that we saw once or twice last season when we really needed it. I love Spencer as well but to me it would be premature to jettison him at this point (unless he prices himself out of the market).

AngeloV
01-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Tied with Chris Rainey for the lead actually, sorry but I'd take Rainey and Banks over Owens. Owens has lost a step and can't find holes like he used to.

I wouldn't touch Banks with a 10 foot pole. When things don't go his way, his suck act is a detriment to the team. Banks plays for Banks, not the Ti-Cats.

R.J
01-20-2016, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't touch Banks with a 10 foot pole. When things don't go his way, his suck act is a detriment to the team. Banks plays for Banks, not the Ti-Cats.I see your point on Banks, and can't say that you're wrong, but there's no doubt that he's a game breaker.

OV Argo
01-21-2016, 12:51 AM
I see your point on Banks, and can't say that you're wrong, but there's no doubt that he's a game breaker.

Agreed (though also agree with AV on the guy being a baby/$uck at times); and the Ticats deploy him lots to take advantage of his skills - main returner, plays receiver and catches some balls downfeild, and they give him the ball on hand-offs or jet sweep type plays at times = a real multi-purpose threat for them.

jerrym
01-21-2016, 01:49 AM
I agree also about his personality, but when he's in the mood he's great on the field.

Double Dare
01-21-2016, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't touch Banks with a 10 foot pole. When things don't go his way, his suck act is a detriment to the team. Banks plays for Banks, not the Ti-Cats. True. Hissy & Pouty.

doubleblue
01-21-2016, 09:54 AM

Yah I think Owens is still a very effective return man. Wheather he can be a part time receiver plus the main return guy is another thing though with his salary. IMO the officials have taken the return game out of the League with their crack down on illegal blocks. So maybe all a team needs now is a reliable guy back there with good hands to dive forward for five yards, before the team loses yardage from a blocking penalty.

I don't know what the percentage is on blocking infractions during kick returns. Just know its very high, and of course very entertaining.

AngeloV
01-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Yah I think Owens is still a very effective return man. Wheather he can be a part time receiver plus the main return guy is another thing though with his salary. IMO the officials have taken the return game out of the League with their crack down on illegal blocks. So maybe all a team needs now is a reliable guy back there with good hands to dive forward for five yards, before the team loses yardage from a blocking penalty.

I don't know what the percentage is on blocking infractions during kick returns. Just know its very high, and of course very entertaining.

Returners definitely need to concentrate on going straight up field first before breaking it one way or another. Holding penalties always seem to come when the returner is going across the field, and it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of the time it's because the returner didn't do the actual return that was called.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8