PDA

View Full Version : Justin Dunk Looks At Where Free Agents Could Go

jerrym
01-23-2016, 01:25 AM
Justin Dunk discusses in the video below where various CFL free agents could be going. This includes Argo attempts to resign Harris, Gabriel, Greenwood and Owens as well as free agents on other teams. He also suggests that Shamawd Chambers could be heading east since to Toronto or Hamilton as he comes from the Metro Toronto area. Knowing Barker's reluctance to sign many free agents and considering how valuable to the Argos many of his own free agents, I'd bet that if Chambers does come east it is much more likely to be Hamilton.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/01/22/2016-free-agency-preview/

paulwoods13
01-23-2016, 08:58 AM
I would LOVE to get Chambers. I've wanted him since his draft year. I realize we don't often sign FAs but that might have been ownership as much as Barker's philosophy. I would not be surprised if we get him altho Hamilton (which will need to replace Fantuz) seems like a stronger bet at this point.

R.J
01-23-2016, 01:10 PM
I really want to see Greenwood and Gabriel back, but if Gabriel were to leave for whatever reason, I'd have no issue with Edem coming here and starting. Don't care for Harris and really don't see any need for him elsewhere.

I would not be surprised if we get him altho Hamilton (which will need to replace Fantuz)
Is Fantuz going somewhere ?

paulwoods13
01-23-2016, 01:26 PM
I really want to see Greenwood and Gabriel back, but if Gabriel were to leave for whatever reason, I'd have no issue with Edem coming here and starting. Don't care for Harris and really don't see any need for him elsewhere.

Is Fantuz going somewhere ?

I would bet he does not return to Hamilton, at least not at anywhere near his previous salary. Signed a four-year contract in 2012.

I also want G and G back. Much prefer Gabriel to Edem.

Argo57
01-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Somewhat surprised that Greenwood is looking to play again this season after his concussion issues last season.
Would be a shame if the Argonauts don't take advantage of this free agent market to fill a few holes, shouldn't sit idle while other teams improve themselves.

jerrym
01-23-2016, 03:45 PM
I would bet he does not return to Hamilton, at least not at anywhere near his previous salary. Signed a four-year contract in 2012.

I also want G and G back. Much prefer Gabriel to Edem.

I agree. Signing Gabriel, Greenwood, as well as Liang, along with the already extended Foley and Miles would give the Argos great National depth on defence. However, it's more likely that we will lose at least one of them.

jerrym
01-27-2016, 08:49 AM
With more than 150 free agents in addition to major coaching changes, it looks like the 2015-2016 could be one with one of the highest rate of turnovers.

The off-season of all off-seasons isn’t over just yet.One of the most turbulent, fascinating and fast-paced CFL off-seasons in memory is about to kick into another gear with the opening of free agency on Feb. 9.
More than 150 players from last season remain unsigned and many are big names.
Chris Jones moving from Edmonton to Saskatchewan and taking most of his Grey Cup champion staff got things started immediately following the Grey Cup. It felt like there was a new wrinkle every week after.
CFL commissioner Jeffrey Orridge had to weigh in on the issues of coaches attempting to walk out on contracts and clubs demanding compensation for losing staffers. Orridge eventually put together a sensible protocol that will allow coaches to advance in an orderly fashion and not leave teams wondering if they’ve been victims of tampering.
Jones shook up the province of Saskatchewan when he released Riders John Chick and Weston Dressler and both players have since landed new gigs. Chick is now with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Dressler will move over one province to join the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Jason Maas left the Ottawa RedBlacks to take Jones’s old job in Edmonton. Paul LaPolice and Mike Benevides left TSN and the comfort of the booth to rejoin the coaching ranks — LaPolice as offensive coordinator in Winnipeg and Benevides as defensive coordinator in Edmonton.
Coaching legend Wally Buono has returned to the sidelines in B.C. to try and turn the Lions around. John Hufnagel moved upstairs in Calgary and Dave Dickenson is now the head coach in Calgary.
Things have mostly been quiet in the East, with contract extensions being the big news in Hamilton for GM/head coach Kent Austin. RedBlacks’ GM Marcel Desjardins and head coach Rick Campbell also signed new pacts.
Staffs in Toronto and Montreal mostly stayed the same.

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="cosymantecnisbfw" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: -webkit-standard; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object><object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="bgpage" id="cosymantecnisbfwbg" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: -webkit-standard; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>http://www.tsn.ca/more-cfl-off-season-intrigue-ahead-1.429024

doubleblue
01-27-2016, 11:15 AM
I don't think one can ever stop some form of tampering. What does the Commisioner do, have the RCMP review phone calls and emails of the GM's? How do you stop say a GM and an agent talking while watching a practice at the Shrine game or the Senior Bowl. All word of mouth, no traceability. Neither one is going to report the other. The GM can say they never talked to the player before the FA deadline, but the player can communicate through the agent. Maybe Orridge can hire Lawless to sneak around and evesdrop, seeing he thinks it should be curbed. lol

AngeloV
01-27-2016, 11:32 AM
I don't think one can ever stop some form of tampering. What does the Commisioner do, have the RCMP review phone calls and emails of the GM's? How do you stop say a GM and an agent talking while watching a practice at the Shrine game or the Senior Bowl. All word of mouth, no traceability. Neither one is going to report the other. The GM can say they never talked to the player before the FA deadline, but the player can communicate through the agent. Maybe Orridge can hire Lawless to sneak around and evesdrop, seeing he thinks it should be curbed. lol

There is always tampering when it comes to pending FA's in every sport. How many times did we see players signing at 12:05 pm on July 1 in the NHL? Are we to put our heads in the sand and make like the negotiations took all of 5 minutes?

Antwon
01-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Somewhat surprised that Greenwood is looking to play again this season after his concussion issues last season.
Would be a shame if the Argonauts don't take advantage of this free agent market to fill a few holes, shouldn't sit idle while other teams improve themselves.

I agree. I like the way Greenwood plays, but he must be one concussion away from retiring.

jerrym
01-27-2016, 08:55 PM

I like Greenwood a lot but his concussion issue raises questions of whether Barker will look elsewhere to fill National holes, especially when Barker has experienced what can happen when one signs a concussed free agent (Dickenson) who repeatedly missed games after signing him for Calgary. Barker promised he would not let that happen to him again. I think this significantly reduces the chance of going hard after Greenwood, especially if he can sign Gabriel, and Liang to add to Nationals Foley, Miles and Waud to play on defence. If Barker is going to pursue another free agent, I think Chambers would be a better choice.

OV Argo
01-28-2016, 01:04 AM
I like Greenwood a lot but his concussion issue raises questions of whether Barker will look elsewhere to fill National holes, especially when Barker has experienced what can happen when one signs a concussed free agent (Dickenson) who repeatedly missed games after signing him for Calgary. Barker promised he would not let that happen to him again. I think this significantly reduces the chance of going hard after Greenwood, especially if he can sign Gabriel, and Liang to add to Nationals Foley, Miles and Waud to play on defence. If Barker is going to pursue another free agent, I think Chambers would be a better choice.

Chambers showed blazing speed at the CFL E-Camp; and he has played some and flashed some talent for the Esks, but he really hasn't done that much in the CFL and has been injured some. Might be a nice FA signing for the Argos, but only IF they are serious about having him compete for real playing time; and I get the feeling this Argo group of offensive thinkers has imports pencilled in for the receiving corps (with the exception of the hybrid slot position where Durie (hopefully he can come back) and Coombs are in place. I wouldn't sign Chambers (he might command decent but not big CFL buck$) as a little used back-up "NI receiver" if that's all they think of him - there are some good receiver prospects this draft who might be as good or better and who would not eat up much $M$ right away.

gilthethrill
01-28-2016, 07:28 AM
A D-line that could feature Foley, Bulcke & Waud would do wonders for the ratio...throw in Miles & perhaps Gabriel & Greenwood that would be 5 solid Canadians (I mean Nationals) on D. This could allow the Argos the option to start more American (I mean International) O-linemen as I really believe all the top end CIS O-line draft talent (McEwen included) will be down south making it more difficult to stock that position with home grown players.

OV Argo
01-28-2016, 04:04 PM
A D-line that could feature Foley, Bulcke & Waud would do wonders for the ratio...throw in Miles & perhaps Gabriel & Greenwood that would be 5 solid Canadians (I mean Nationals) on D. This could allow the Argos the option to start more American (I mean International) O-linemen as I really believe all the top end CIS O-line draft talent (McEwen included) will be down south making it more difficult to stock that position with home grown players.

Bulcke would possibly be a nice get (is he recovered from his injury that kept him out all of last year though?) - and if Laing was retained they could go all NI at the DT position (Laing, Bulcke, Waud), and with Foley at DE, Gabriel at S and one of Greenwood or Miles at OLB - that could make for 5 NIs on D - up one from last year where just one of the DT spots was basically manned full-time by a NI (Laing & Waud); it pretty well has to be Greenwood OR Miles - unless Miles was given a shot at MLB and wins it and they both play; then they could sign Cappicotti for DE, and let vet Matt Black hold down a corner job - which could mean 8 starting NIs on D ... but that is wayyyyyy too much and would cause some gob head spinning. ;o)

R.J
01-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Bombers are thought to be going after Justin Medlock. I wonder if Barker goes after Lirim Hajrullahu ? Or I at least hope he does.

AngeloV
01-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Bombers are thought to be going after Justin Medlock. I wonder if Barker goes after Lirim Hajrullahu ? Or I at least hope he does.

I hope he does as well. I'm a big fan of his, and believe he just got in a rut kicking FG's last year. I think he's the most underrated punter in the league...so good at punting to the sidelines, which IMO is Waters biggest weakness in terms of punting.

R.J
01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Swayze is still trying to land a job in the NFL, so far no offers.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/28/is-lefevours-move-to-mlfb-the-start-of-a-trend

ARGOS’ WATERS MOVING WELL

Argonauts kicker Swayze Waters is one of Toronto’s 24 pending free agents, and the Mississippi product reported this week at the Senior Bowl he’s been in contact with general manager Jim Barker.

Waters, who attended the Senior Bowl as a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes contingent, has been exploring NFL options this off-season, but no offers are on the table. He’s only 28, so he’s keeping that option open.

If he does end up back in the CFL and with the Argos, he’s hoping to have a better season than he endured last year, when he missed 12 games due to injury and had a rough East semifinal performance against Hamilton.

“(Last year) was frustrating enough that I got a personal trainer and a dietician,” Waters said. “I had structured workouts through the team and stuff I’d been doing on my own, but because of this past year I’m dedicating myself to a higher level of commitment in that area. I don’t want there to be any weaknesses.”

Waters was the CFL’s most outstanding special teams player in 2014 after making 47 of 52 field goal attempts, including all three from 50 yards or beyond, and leading the three-down loop in average punting distance at 47.7 yards per boot. In other words, he’ll be coveted if he hits the market.

Waters is glad to see quarterback Ricky Ray back in the Boatmen fold, and he hopes Trevor Harris, who is a pending free agent, comes back as well.

“I love both those guys,” Waters said. “Unfortunately that’s the bad side of the business, but if it’s possible to have them back it would be great for the locker-room and great for the team.”

R.J
01-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Over on the Rider board, quite a few members believe Jones and Murphy will make a play for Gabriel (Jones brought up in an interview they're looking for DL, S's etc), I could see Gabriel leave for "greener pastures". Obviously I'm not sure where Gabriel will end up, but as I've mentioned before, if Gabriel does end up leaving, I'd love to see Edem wearing the double blue. Chambers would also look great in double blue, but I just don't see him being used much here, Hamilton would be the better fit for him IMO.

OV Argo
01-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Over on the Rider board, quite a few members believe Jones and Murphy will make a play for Gabriel (Jones brought up in an interview they're looking for DL, S's etc), I could see Gabriel leave for "greener pastures". Obviously I'm not sure where Gabriel will end up, but as I've mentioned before, if Gabriel does end up leaving, I'd love to see Edem wearing the double blue. Chambers would also look great in double blue, but I just don't see him being used much here, Hamilton would be the better fit for him IMO.

Be interesting to see how many top FA sign on in the "greener pastures" of ego-head Jonestown; I really hope Gabriel & Laing stay Argos but they would probably be targets for Jonestown and where he sees his 7 NIs only need apply (hinted it could be DT and safety in an interview - that's where he played NIs on his Esks' D). Love to see NO prominent FAs sign with ego-head, but I'll guess they get a few.

Edem would be a nice pick-up to replace Gabriel perhaps; also a couple of good safety prospects up this draft, as well as a bunch of DTs who might be able to play some at DT with Waud to help replace the loss of Laing.

KCargosfan
01-30-2016, 02:38 AM
Be interesting to see how many top FA sign on in the "greener pastures" of ego-head Jonestown; I really hope Gabriel & Laing stay Argos but they would probably be targets for Jonestown and where he sees his 7 NIs only need apply (hinted it could be DT and safety in an interview - that's where he played NIs on his Esks' D). Love to see NO prominent FAs sign with ego-head, but I'll guess they get a few.

Edem would be a nice pick-up to replace Gabriel perhaps; also a couple of good safety prospects up this draft, as well as a bunch of DTs who might be able to play some at DT with Waud to help replace the loss of Laing.

Especially if they offer more money.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8