PDA

View Full Version : Boycotting the Super Bowl

argotom
01-27-2016, 07:57 PM
I started a similar topic on another board.
So far a few people have committed to not watching.
Anyone here with me?
Way too much over the top "world championship" coverage and especially here in the wannabee US city.
I will read a book, maybe pvr some shows.
My entire family is with me as well.
I don't watch the NFL and haven't the SB for years.
Tell me your plan for the day, now that all other leagues have done a Franklin the turtle on this "sacred" day.

ArgoGabe22
01-27-2016, 08:11 PM
I'll be studying! (with the SB playing quietly in the background)

Will
01-27-2016, 08:41 PM
To each his own.

I'll be watching the Super Bowl. If that somehow makes me a bad CFL fan in your eyes then so be it.

Argo57
01-27-2016, 09:10 PM
To each his own.

I'll be watching the Super Bowl. If that somehow makes me a bad CFL fan in your eyes then so be it.

Me too, I'm a CFL fan first but love football in general.
Might as well enjoy the Super Bowl as we won't have football until the 16 Time World Champion Toronto Argonauts begin their quest for another Championship.

AngeloV
01-27-2016, 09:41 PM
I started a similar topic on another board.
So far a few people have committed to not watching.
Anyone here with me?
Way too much over the top "world championship" coverage and especially here in the wannabee US city.
I will read a book, maybe pvr some shows.
My entire family is with me as well.
I don't watch the NFL and haven't the SB for years.
Tell me your plan for the day, now that all other leagues have done a Franklin the turtle on this "sacred" day.

Have fun. I'll be watching. It's FOOTBALL Man!!!

R.J
01-27-2016, 10:10 PM
While I'm not an NFL fan and I won't be watching, I wouldn't say I'm boycotting it.

argotom
01-27-2016, 10:36 PM
While I'm not an NFL fan and I won't be watching, I wouldn't say I'm boycotting it.

All right, can we therefore count so far 2 members on this board as not watching for one reason or another.

jerrym
01-27-2016, 11:57 PM
I won't be watching because I find the NFL game in general boring and when something is hyped to the nth degree, it tends to turn me off. Therefore, its more a case of non-interest than active boycott.

gilthethrill
01-28-2016, 07:15 AM
AT, while it is not the CFL, the NFL will do....I enjoy the NFL playoffs. Enjoy your book on Superbowl Sunday!

T-Bone
01-28-2016, 07:26 AM
All right, can we therefore count so far 2 members on this board as not watching for one reason or another.
Why does the number matter to you? To each their own.

1argoholic
01-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Going back years and years I've either watched it or not. I really could care less but it's the last kick at the football can until the CFL season. Good excuse to cook up some good eats and come and go as the game is on. Actually right now as I sit here, oh I remember Denver and Carolina. I forgot there for a minute. No use for either team but if Carolina wins it'll be yet another team winning it's first Super Bowl when my 54 or 55 year old Vikings have only lost Super Bowls.
I agree with most I'm here when you get so frustrated at the typical US BS of World Champions. Their Little League world Series is the only event that can really get away with that.
The NFL game is boring when compared to our rules and it's slow as hell between plays. I'm less of a fan now that at anytime in my life. Too many teams that I don't give a crap about playing in an over hyped league and game.

My pick is Carolina.

argotom
01-28-2016, 10:20 AM
I won't be watching because I find the NFL game in general boring and when something is hyped to the nth degree, it tends to turn me off. Therefore, its more a case of non-interest than active boycott.

Bingo jerry, welcome to the club.

argonaut11xx
01-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Not much interest in the game this year, Payton Manning lost me as a fan when he cried on the sidelines after being pulled out of a game while playing in Indy many moons ago. Cam Newton while talented,rubs me the wrong way.

Nothing against the game, just not interested in the teams who made it. Didnt like the Seahawks either.

( And NO,im not a bitter Detroit Lions fan)

AngeloV
01-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Cam Newton while talented,rubs me the wrong way.

Please elaborate. I have seen nothing from him that should rub people the wrong way. Says the right things in the media all the time, and has never been in off the field trouble.

argonaut11xx
01-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Please elaborate. I have seen nothing from him that should rub people the wrong way. Says the right things in the media all the time, and has never been in off the field trouble.

I guess i subscribe to the Lombardi comment, "When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before"

argotom
01-28-2016, 02:31 PM
I guess i subscribe to the Lombardi comment, "When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before"

That is one classic comment, isn't it.

AngeloV
01-28-2016, 03:00 PM

So I guess the players should all still be wearing single bar facemasks too (as they did in the Lombardi era)? I don't like guys that directly taunt other players after TD's either, but I don't believe that Newton does that. If he was a total jerk, I would agree with you, but he is far from that.

ArgoZ
01-28-2016, 05:18 PM
In my circles, most people that watch the Grey Cup also watch the Superbowl. Since the ratings are almost equal, I think that's a fair statement throughout the country. It's always an interested event, so I don't understand not watching it, if your a football fan. Only hurting yourself IMO.

For anyone claiming the NFL is boring, you either don't watch or are clouded by your one sided love of the CFL. The NFL has never been more exciting, dare I say CFL like. We have discussed this already many times. Tom Brady threw the ball 56 times last week. Long gone are the days of "2 yards and a cloud of dust".

R.J
01-28-2016, 05:26 PM
For anyone claiming the NFL is boring, you either don't watch or are clouded by your one sided love of the CFL. The NFL has never been more exciting, dare I say CFL like. We have discussed this already many times. Tom Brady threw the ball 56 times last week. Long gone are the days of "2 yards and a cloud of dust".
The NFL and CFL seems to have switched these last couple-few years.

jerrym
01-28-2016, 06:27 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

argolio
01-29-2016, 01:39 AM
We should all go down to City Hall and start an anti-Super Bowl bonfire.

Double Dare
01-29-2016, 08:23 AM
We should all go down to City Hall and start an anti-Super Bowl bon Jovi fire. Fixed it.

Will
01-29-2016, 08:41 AM

I'll bring the marshmallows.

AngeloV
01-29-2016, 10:34 AM

In order for it to be a proper protest, wouldn't the name have to change to UBER Bowl?

argotom
01-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Ok let's coordinate our watches and the meeting place will be..............

T-Bone
01-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I'll bring the marshmallows.
http://33.media.tumblr.com/98acbc969464742ac7a4ec2d295407e6/tumblr_inline_n2l5hlk3Ml1qfmhbw.jpg

Double Dare
01-29-2016, 12:23 PM
I don't care too much about both teams ... I usually watch the Toiletbowl when there is at least one team that I'm remotely interested in. My Steelers aren't in ...

LLB997
01-30-2016, 11:01 PM
not clouded at all, true the no fun league is more CFL like but still not as freewheel burning and at times I consider the CFL to be a bit boring.
NFL Is unwatchable at the very least until the games come in under 3 hours in length. I got a life.

Wobbler
01-30-2016, 11:42 PM
I'll be watching, as will everyone else who enjoys football and isn't (tragically) distracted.

Double Dare
01-31-2016, 07:08 AM
... and then there are the ads. It has got to the point where the circus around the game is more important than the game itself.

argotom
01-31-2016, 05:58 PM
I'll be watching, as will everyone else who enjoys football and isn't (tragically) distracted.

They will eh?
Read some of the posters here please.
Some of us enjoy real football CFL style, much less hype with better athletes paid a reasonable amount and well under three hours.

AngeloV
01-31-2016, 07:05 PM
They will eh?
Read some of the posters here please.
Some of us enjoy real football CFL style, much less hype with better athletes paid a reasonable amount and well under three hours.

I think we all prefer CFL football on here. To each their own, and when I was younger I admit to making the same arguments as you are now. As I became older, I realized that I still watch NFL and enjoy it. Not to the level I do CFL, but I'm not going to lie and say the CFL has better athletes. That was a blanket statement. Some CFL athletes are better than NFL athletes, and vice versa. But you make yourself sound pretty stupid to make a general statement that CFL athletes are better.

argotom
01-31-2016, 07:42 PM
I think we all prefer CFL football on here. To each their own, and when I was younger I admit to making the same arguments as you are now. As I became older, I realized that I still watch NFL and enjoy it. Not to the level I do CFL, but I'm not going to lie and say the CFL has better athletes. That was a blanket statement. Some CFL athletes are better than NFL athletes, and vice versa. But you make yourself sound pretty stupid to make a general statement that CFL athletes are better.

Of course it's a matter of opinion.
Mine is overall the CFL player has to be faster, smarter, more agile to play our game on a bigger field with far less time on the 20 second clock not to mention a small roster requiring versatility.

argolio
02-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Of course it's a matter of opinion.
Mine is overall the CFL player has to be faster, smarter, more agile to play our game on a bigger field with far less time on the 20 second clock not to mention a small roster requiring versatility.Smarter? I'd love to see you prove that.

The game-day rosters are different by only two players.

The play-clock is pretty much a wash since the NFL's starts as soon as the previous play ends while the CFL's doesn't start until the ref brings the ball back to the line of scrimmage.

Your arguments are no better than those who put down the CFL.

1argoholic
02-04-2016, 10:00 AM
The NFL games rules piss me off. They've pretty much taken the kickoff return out of the game. I hate that few punts are returned. The NFL can't get out of the way of their own rules when it comes to catches along the sidelines, making a football play when reviewing a possible catch or fumble. It's a different result every friggin time. A guy can catch, run ten yards and drop the ball and they'll say he didn't have control, thus it's incomplete. The CFL game doesn't drag the same way. A few other aspects of their game drive me insane. Oh and the biggest is the World Champion BULLSHIT!!!!

I've always watched CFL, CIS and NCAA football. I never watched any of those fringe leagues that have come and gone. I used to watch all the NFL I could no matter the team but that was over 25 years ago. Now I'll watch The Vikings and perhaps a few other teams but I switch channels constantly. Some years I've watched Super Bowl and others I have not. I'll be on and I'll watch here and there on Sunday but I really don't care. I hope Sportsnet has a CHL game on.

ArgoGabe22
02-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Bud Grant suggested they change the kickoff and punt rules to be similar with the CFL's. He also pointed out that current model is perfect for commercial breaks with a commercial placed before and after every kick.

ArgoRavi
02-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Does anyone else find that there is less hype over the Super Bowl this year? I have had to be reminded a couple of times - usually by seeing this thread - over the last couple of weeks that there is a big game this Sunday.

argotom
02-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Does anyone else find that there is less hype over the Super Bowl this year? I have had to be reminded a couple of times - usually by seeing this thread - over the last couple of weeks that there is a big game this Sunday.

I can't believe I am not seeing or not hearing the same thing Ravi.
Last year was much worse and over the top.
Maybe as we get to the weekend I am afraid to say it will pick up.

Gill The Thrill
02-05-2016, 12:44 AM
The lack of hype could be attributed to the fact that the game has now moved well into the winter, being played in February. In the past, the NFL played Super Bowls not even in the final Sunday in January, but even in the 3rd Sunday in January. Not unlike the NHL, and MLB, the NFL has ridiculously moved their schedules into a month where football was not played. The Super Bowl in February is as ridiculous as the Stanley Cup in June and the World Series playing games in November.

Smarter? I'd love to see you prove that.

The game-day rosters are different by only two players.

The play-clock is pretty much a wash since the NFL's starts as soon as the previous play ends while the CFL's doesn't start until the ref brings the ball back to the line of scrimmage.

Your arguments are no better than those who put down the CFL.You want proof of how unprofessional the NFL has become and that the players are not necessarily smarter than they are in the CFL... that's not difficult to prove. Did you watch the final 5 minutes of that Cincinnati - Pittsburgh Wild Card playoff game? The Bengals handed over the game to the Steelers on a silver platter, stupid playcalls, stupid penalties, stupid clock management. Compounded penalties. A guy who recovered a fumble, but was lucky that a Steeler accidently fell on him, or he would've given them a safety after running the wrong way toward his end zone. Marvin Lewis looked like he was coaching a prison team, not a pro football team. He could not control his players at all. Even Boomer Esiasson, the ex-Bengal was ashamed of that performance and lack of discipline.

AngeloV
02-05-2016, 10:38 AM
You want proof of how unprofessional the NFL has become and that the players are not necessarily smarter than they are in the CFL... that's not difficult to prove. Did you watch the final 5 minutes of that Cincinnati - Pittsburgh Wild Card playoff game? The Bengals handed over the game to the Steelers on a silver platter, stupid playcalls, stupid penalties, stupid clock management. Compounded penalties. A guy who recovered a fumble, but was lucky that a Steeler accidently fell on him, or he would've given them a safety after running the wrong way toward his end zone. Marvin Lewis looked like he was coaching a prison team, not a pro football team. He could not control his players at all. Even Boomer Esiasson, the ex-Bengal was ashamed of that performance and lack of discipline.

That is an isolated example. Just look at box scores of all the games. CFL games, while running fewer total plays, has considerately more penalties. A lot of talented players are in the CFL due to disciplinary issues. Talent wise, many are as good, but for the most part, bad discipline that hurts the team isn't tolerated in the NFL.

1argoholic
02-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Another thing that sickens me is the money that NFL players make.

I'm not a Cam Newton fan either as he just seems like a cocky bastard. Having said that I think that Cocky dude will lead his team to a big win and yet another team winning the Super Bowl before my Vikings.

Deerkeeper
02-05-2016, 06:15 PM
It's out there. Granted I have been a bit sick all this week so most of my free time has been spent sleeping, so I haven't been noticing it much, but today I had to do some driving for work through several towns and it was very noticeable. I had to change the radio station several times every time some talking head started babbling about the "BIG GAME" or some Electronic store advertising a new TV to watch the "BIG GAME" or some Pizza joint advertising specials to eat during the "BIG GAME". Every bar or club I passed had a sign out front saying watch the "BIG GAME" here. Nauseating really.
If i'm not skiing Sunday, I may head out Sunday night and watch the new Star Wars movie, provided all the movie theaters don't shut down for the "BIG GAME".

argotom
02-05-2016, 06:40 PM
It's out there. Granted I have been a bit sick all this week so most of my free time has been spent sleeping, so I haven't been noticing it much, but today I had to do some driving for work through several towns and it was very noticeable. I had to change the radio station several times every time some talking head started babbling about the "BIG GAME" or some Electronic store advertising a new TV to watch the "BIG GAME" or some Pizza joint advertising specials to eat during the "BIG GAME". Every bar or club I passed had a sign out front saying watch the "BIG GAME" here. Nauseating really.
If i'm not skiing Sunday, I may head out Sunday night and watch the new Star Wars movie, provided all the movie theaters don't shut down for the "BIG GAME".

You mean the entire world will not come to a standstill for the BIG GAME.
How will we survive, while the minions are already lining up for are you ready the Jim Jones kool aid.

Ron
02-06-2016, 01:46 AM
It's easy to call for a boycott of something you never watch anyway. Takes zero balls to do that.

Argo57
02-06-2016, 09:35 AM
You mean the entire world will not come to a standstill for the BIG GAME.
How will we survive, while the minions are already lining up for are you ready the Jim Jones kool aid.

Don't really get your agitation over football fans watching the Super Bowl, have fun with it, I'll be eating pizza and wings enjoying the game.

argotom
02-06-2016, 10:39 AM
It's easy to call for a boycott of something you never watch anyway. Takes zero balls to do that.

I am actually surprised as to how many on this board will not be watching.

AngeloV
02-06-2016, 01:01 PM

I counted 4 (and they do say 3's a crowd) that say they will definitely not be watching. I have no reason not to believe any of them, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they did tune in at some point.

R.J
02-06-2016, 01:11 PM
I counted 4 (and they do say 3's a crowd) that say they will definitely not be watching. I have no reason not to believe any of them, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they did tune in at some point.
If I end up watching tv; I'll check out the score from time to time. As I mentioned before; I most likely won't watch it, but I see no point in going out of my way to avoid it.

ArgoZ
02-06-2016, 01:17 PM

Can you promise that you won't watch one second of it? Halftime counts. Also, I expect to see no comments on the game after it's over since you didn't watch.

Wether you watch or don't, it won't make any difference to anything or anybody. I also don't understand your fixation on what people will do on a slow Sunday night. Nothing else is on tv, most have work the next day and since we like the Argonauts, I would assume we all like football. Enjoy the damn game, (and life) for Pete's sake.

1argoholic
02-07-2016, 03:05 PM
So who's watching Puppy Bowl. Going for Team Ruff or Team Fluff? Go Puppies Go!!!!!

Well Darby is running wild for Team Ruff with two td's and they lead 14-0. He also got an illegal use of the paws penalty. Too Funny!!!

argotom
02-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Can you promise that you won't watch one second of it? Halftime counts. Also, I expect to see no comments on the game after it's over since you didn't watch.

Wether you watch or don't, it won't make any difference to anything or anybody. I also don't understand your fixation on what people will do on a slow Sunday night. Nothing else is on tv, most have work the next day and since we like the Argonauts, I would assume we all like football. Enjoy the damn game, (and life) for Pete's sake.

Not one second, not even by accident while flipping for other channels.
I have no interest whatsoever in this over hyped 5 hour+ non event.
In addition to the several people here, there is the same posting on the cfl site and even more people are with me.
Sad how the masses are willing to compromise true Canadiana to watch this piece of crap.
Yes I dare say by watching SB people are less of traditionalists.

gilthethrill
02-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Will be compromising Canadiana by watching the Super Bowl....in my Double Blue Room!

T-Bone
02-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Will be compromising Canadiana by watching the Super Bowl....in my Double Blue Room!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_nAcm4SyvZQ/VROK2L7cOiI/AAAAAAAAhfM/cFJMwiuuKS0/s1600/xfiles_face.PNG

paulwoods13
02-07-2016, 04:34 PM
In addition to the several people here, there is the same posting on the cfl site and even more people are with me.

Even more than the three or four here? No doubt a groundswell, soon to become a certified trend.

Will
02-07-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm also a terrible Canadian because I will be watching the Super Bowl.

Argo57
02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Not one second, not even by accident while flipping for other channels.
I have no interest whatsoever in this over hyped 5 hour+ non event.
Sad how the masses are willing to compromise true Canadiana to watch this piece of crap.

Then don't watch the game then, who cares.

Will
02-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Then don't watch the game then, who cares.

Nah, he has to make a scene out of it.

argotom
02-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Nah, he has to make a scene out of it.

No scene here, it's a valid topic with an obvious difference of opinions.
Proof there are people against the tide, thankfully we do not all think alike.

Wobbler
02-07-2016, 04:54 PM
So, I guess this is the Superbowl L gameday thread! Thanks for getting the ball rolling, AT.

I know Carolina is favoured, but I'd like to see Manning go out with a win, so I'm hoping for 31-28 Broncos.

Will
02-07-2016, 04:55 PM
So, I guess this is the Superbowl L gameday thread! Thanks for getting the ball rolling, AT.

I know Carolina is favoured, but I'd like to see Manning go out with a win, so I'm hoping for 31-28 Broncos.

Never been a Manning fan, and was not a Broncos fan before that. Plus, Marcus Ball plays for Carolina so I'm hoping that they win.

Bosco
02-07-2016, 05:01 PM

Canadiana? Like the CFL? The same league that consists of mostly American players with an American commissioner? The same league that expanded to the US?
Yes, truly Canadian.

argotom
02-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Did someone say Archie Manning, from UM and played for New Orleans?

Will
02-07-2016, 05:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/Panthers">@Panthers</a> have six players, coaches and scouts with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> connections, compared to the Broncos&#39; 0: <a href="https://t.co/k2yKMj5SAN">https://t.co/k2yKMj5SAN</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuperBowl?src=hash">#SuperBowl</a></p>&mdash; Andrew Bucholtz (@AndrewBucholtz) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewBucholtz/status/696457961250512897">February 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgofanIan
02-07-2016, 05:21 PM
I don't follow NFL....I really only watch CFL, Hockey and Auto racing maybe some lacrosse or Rugby ... I am not interested in todays game and definitely won't watch... but I have no issues with other people watching....its not a political statement .... I am just busy and not interested...

Will
02-07-2016, 05:33 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> fans are the best! Spotted at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SB50?src=hash">#SB50</a>... <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a> Marcus Ball jersey rooting on the <a href="https://twitter.com/Panthers">@Panthers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/qwizR1lOcf">pic.twitter.com/qwizR1lOcf</a></p>&mdash; CFL (@CFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL/status/696461704822042624">February 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

ArgoRavi
02-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Canadiana? Like the CFL? The same league that consists of mostly American players with an American commissioner? The same league that expanded to the US?
Yes, truly Canadian.

"Mostly American players" is a bit of an overstatement. Also, isn't Orridge a Canadian citizen?

LLB997
02-07-2016, 06:24 PM
nice start to the supierbowl, wheres the audio?? lol. hope the lights stay on #worldsrichestbushleague

ArgoRavi
02-07-2016, 06:26 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/Panthers">@Panthers</a> have six players, coaches and scouts with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> connections, compared to the Broncos&#39; 0: <a href="https://t.co/k2yKMj5SAN">https://t.co/k2yKMj5SAN</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuperBowl?src=hash">#SuperBowl</a></p>&mdash; Andrew Bucholtz (@AndrewBucholtz) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewBucholtz/status/696457961250512897">February 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

I didn't realize that Ken Dorsey is on Carolina's coaching staff. It seems like only yesterday that Jim Barker brought him in to compete for the Argos' starting QB position.

Bosco
02-07-2016, 06:28 PM
nice start to the supierbowl, wheres the audio?? lol. hope the lights stay on #worldsrichestbushleague

That was a CTV-Toronto issue... as CTV-W and other feeds had the audio.

Wobbler
02-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Never been a Manning fan, and was not a Broncos fan before that. Plus, Marcus Ball plays for Carolina so I'm hoping that they win.
Yeah, I hope Ball plays well.

I got really sick of Manning a few years ago when he it seemed as though he was in every fifth TV commercial, but thankfully he dialed that way back. And as a player, I appreciate his calmness.

Wobbler
02-07-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Ball isn't active for this game. Oh well.

ArgoZ
02-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Well, much like last years Grey Cup, the Super Bowl was a bit of a bore. Even halftime was "meh" for me. Let's hope the next championship games in Toronto and Houston deliver a better experience.

FYI, the game was just under four hours, almost identical to the Grey Cup.

ArgoRavi
02-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Well, much like last years Grey Cup, the Super Bowl was a bit of a bore. Even halftime was "meh" for me. Let's hope the next championship games in Toronto and Houston deliver a better experience.

FYI, the game was just under four hours, almost identical to the Grey Cup.

You are being too kind to this Super Bowl. I am not sure that I have seen a worse-played championship game than what I saw tonight. Penalties and turnovers galore, several drops by receivers, little offence and lousy officiating. When argotom finds out what happened in this game, he will be laughing his butt off at those of us who wasted 4 hours of our lives that we will never get back on this terrible game.

Wobbler
02-07-2016, 11:10 PM
I saw less than half of it so I can't comment on the game as a whole, but I enjoyed the long punt return and I'm a sucker for turnovers. I didn't see very many good offensive plays, though.

ArgoZ
02-07-2016, 11:12 PM
You are being too kind to this Super Bowl. I am not sure that I have seen a worse-played championship game than what I saw tonight. Penalties and turnovers galore, several drops by receivers, little offence and lousy officiating. When argotom finds out what happened in this game, he will be laughing his butt off at those of us who wasted 4 hours of our lives that we will never get back on this terrible game.

I can understand your frustration! To be fair, last years Grey Cup, particularly the last quarter, was a snore. AT promised he wouldn't watch a second of this game, so any comments based on hearsay can't be taken seriously, LOL.

I would never say watching the game is time wasted. I enjoy getting together with friends for either championship game. As I mentioned before, what else are sports fans going to do on a Sunday night?

Double Dare
02-08-2016, 07:23 AM
I watched Puppy Bowl 12 ... way more exciting than the Supersnore.

jerrym
02-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Great quote from Nik Lewis.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Looking at the Lombardi trophy makes me think 1 thing. U can&#39;t drink out of that. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Nik Lewis (@nikel18) <a href="https://twitter.com/nikel18/status/696538641577832449">February 8, 2016</a></blockquote>

Will
02-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Won't try to argue that the game was interesting. It was a defensive battle. Denver's defensive line absolutely dominated Carolina's offensive line, and the other key, Denver's offense did not allow Carolina to score any defensive touchdowns, which is something Carolina had greatly benefited from in their two previous playoff games.

argotom
02-08-2016, 09:49 AM
From the postings here and the other board, I din't miss much.
Again worse than our Grey Cup.
But of course, this was a World Championship game so it get's a pass?

paulwoods13
02-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Worst championship football game since 2007 Grey Cup. Newton looked about as effective as Kerry Joseph, and Manning about as effective as Ryan Dinwiddie. But 2015 Grey Cup was a yawner as well so we're not in position to throw too many stones.

Interesting to see that the Panthers (or was it the Broncos?) drop defensive ends into pass coverage on occasion. I think it was Chris Jones in 2012 who introduced that to the CFL.

1argoholic
02-08-2016, 11:29 AM
There is always hope in our Grey Cup that a team can come back. There was NO hope for Carolina as they had ZERO response and looked unprepared for Denver's D. Denver's D was the only part of both teams that looked to be rested and ready to roll, which they did big time. They steam rolled the Carolina O line all night and ran around them like they were pylons. Typical hyped up game that only truly delivers once in a rare while.

How about Cam Newton not even diving after that late fumble. Are you friggin kidding me in the so called biggest game in the world and you play Mr Suck.

The halftime might have been ok just with Coldplay but Beonce or however she spells it looked like a two bit whore with her dancing and her song. The other dude is yet another typical mainstream Bieber type. CRAAAAAP! WOW the most racist country in the world and they try to make Super Bowl halftime look like a racial love in and I even saw pride rainbow flags. PRACTICE WHAT YOU TEND TO PREACH NFL AND USA!!!! FUCK!!!!

Why couldn't we be neighbours with Swedan? I know there are some great folks down south but the majority are like puppets on a string. They buy the BS and are sucked into the hype.

Will
02-08-2016, 12:07 PM
There is always hope in our Grey Cup that a team can come back. There was NO hope for Carolina as they had ZERO response and looked unprepared for Denver's D. Denver's D was the only part of both teams that looked to be rested and ready to roll, which they did big time. They steam rolled the Carolina O line all night and ran around them like they were pylons. Typical hyped up game that only truly delivers once in a rare while.

How about Cam Newton not even diving after that late fumble. Are you friggin kidding me in the so called biggest game in the world and you play Mr Suck.

The halftime might have been ok just with Coldplay but Beonce or however she spells it looked like a two bit whore with her dancing and her song. The other dude is yet another typical mainstream Bieber type. CRAAAAAP! WOW the most racist country in the world and they try to make Super Bowl halftime look like a racial love in and I even saw pride rainbow flags. PRACTICE WHAT YOU TEND TO PREACH NFL AND USA!!!! FUCK!!!!

Why couldn't we be neighbours with Swedan? I know there are some great folks down south but the majority are like puppets on a string. They buy the BS and are sucked into the hype.

I don't think the 2012 Stampeders were coming back against the Argos. Our boys were just locked in that night.

I viewed the halftime show as a product of the game being in the San Francisco area.

AngeloV
02-08-2016, 12:27 PM
The halftime might have been ok just with Coldplay but Beonce or however she spells it looked like a two bit whore with her dancing and her song.

Have to disagree here. Looking at Beyoncé was the only enjoyable part of the whole broadcast to me. She looked hot as hell.

Yeah, I hope Ball plays well.

I got really sick of Manning a few years ago when he it seemed as though he was in every fifth TV commercial, but thankfully he dialed that way back. And as a player, I appreciate his calmness.

I actually like his off field personality. He's great in commercials.

Double Dare
02-08-2016, 12:49 PM
I actually like his off field personality. He's great in commercials.

... and Joe Montana cracks me up in the "pockets" PaPa Johns' ad.

argolio
02-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Great quote from Nik Lewis.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Looking at the Lombardi trophy makes me think 1 thing. U can't drink out of that. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Nik Lewis (@nikel18) <a href="https://twitter.com/nikel18/status/696538641577832449">February 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>He's right. You can do that with "our" trophies (CFL, NHL). Not so with "their" trophies (NFL, NBA, NBA), which also don't look anywhere as good as ours IMO.

Oh, and I was a huge anti-traditionalist traitor because I watched the game. Tomorrow I'm going down to University Ave. to apply for a Green Card.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8