PDA

View Full Version : Will the Falling Dollar Hurt the CFL Interantional Talent Pool?

jerrym
01-28-2016, 06:48 PM
As the Canadian dollar continues to plummet, questions increase about how much this will affect the recruiting of International talent.

The bad news is it’s still worth only about 71 cents U.S. And that has some worrying the CFL’s import talent pool could take a hit this summer if Americans are hesitant to come north and get paid in Canadian dollars, with the loonie lagging like it is.
One CFL general manager said there is no reason for anyone to think that way, because American players aren’t thinking about global currency when looking for a football job.
“I don’t think the reality has set in for a lot of people to understand that,” Alouettes GM Jim Popp said Tuesday during a break in Senior Bowl activities. “Most people that are new don’t understand it at all. Somebody that has been with you in the league looks at it as: What other option do I have? Now, there is a new football league (Major League Football) starting up, but they’re not paying any kind of money the CFL is.”
Popp believes the CFL is still a great place to play despite the dipping dollar.
“There’s not another league you can go to that pays the money our league pays, other than the NFL,” Popp said. “It’s still the best bet by far.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/26/will-dipping-dollar-affect-cfl-import-talent-pool

AngeloV
01-28-2016, 07:58 PM
The league survived when the dollar hit rock bottom in the $0.60 neighbourhood..and at the same time was competing with NFL Europe. I don't think they have anything to worry about.

jerrym
01-28-2016, 09:22 PM
It probably won't make a great difference, but I can forsee a few Internationals who are not getting the larger CFL salaries deciding its not worth leaving their home and family and going to a foreign country when their income is discounted so much in America. This is especially true for those who have given up on getting to the NFL by performing well in the CFL.

Wobbler
01-28-2016, 10:44 PM
I agree, Jerry. Salaries have effectively dropped ~12%, and that will make a difference for guys who were on the fence about coming to the CFL (or staying there).

KCargosfan
01-30-2016, 02:50 AM
I agree, Jerry. Salaries have effectively dropped ~12%, and that will make a difference for guys who were on the fence about coming to the CFL (or staying there).

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again.

League minimum translates to roughly $34K U.S. Now, if your NFL shots are really up, and you have the option of making $34K (with the possibility of $36K with 1 more playoff game, and getting more the farther your respective team goes in the playoffs), not including the $300 a week you'd get for training camp, for 5-6 months of work PLAYING FOOTBALL, or you can stay in the states and work a desk job/construction/landscaping for the same and have to work 12 months, what do you think a player would choose?

Oh, and the football job also gives you the benefit of traveling to a bunch of different cities in a foreign country.

Now the guy who got cut in the final NFL cuts, he may not be in a hurry to go north, because one week in the NFL on a roster would almost be the same as an entire season on a CFL rookie contract. But there aren't a ton of those guys, and there's no guarantee he'll ever get a phone call.

Argo57
01-30-2016, 07:10 AM
I've posted this before, but I'll say it again.

League minimum translates to roughly $34K U.S. Now, if your NFL shots are really up, and you have the option of making $34K (with the possibility of $36K with 1 more playoff game, and getting more the farther your respective team goes in the playoffs), not including the $300 a week you'd get for training camp, for 5-6 months of work PLAYING FOOTBALL, or you can stay in the states and work a desk job/construction/landscaping for the same and have to work 12 months, what do you think a player would choose?

Oh, and the football job also gives you the benefit of traveling to a bunch of different cities in a foreign country.

Now the guy who got cut in the final NFL cuts, he may not be in a hurry to go north, because one week in the NFL on a roster would almost be the same as an entire season on a CFL rookie contract. But there aren't a ton of those guys, and there's no guarantee he'll ever get a phone call.

The financial scenario you have presented above may entice some college recruits with pro football aspirations but the available pool of talent will be effected by our currency decline, to suggest otherwise is foolish.

AngeloV
01-30-2016, 09:01 AM
The financial scenario you have presented above may entice some college recruits with pro football aspirations but the available pool of talent will be effected by our currency decline, to suggest otherwise is foolish.

Yes, but outside of young entry level players, who is really making the league minimum? I think if players are still being offered league minimum after the entry level deals, they don't stick around regardless of the current level of the dollar. I still think it's a non issue.

KCargosfan
02-01-2016, 05:23 AM

To suggest players pay that much attention to currency markets or would rather sell insurance for 50 hours a week working 12 months a year is foolish, imo.

As AV has pointed out, the C$ was lower in the early 2000s when NFL Europe was around, and the CFL was doing just fine.

Argo57
02-01-2016, 07:38 AM
To suggest players pay that much attention to currency markets or would rather sell insurance for 50 hours a week working 12 months a year is foolish, imo.

As AV has pointed out, the C$ was lower in the early 2000s when NFL Europe was around, and the CFL was doing just fine.

Really?
You don't think players and or their agents talk about such things??
You are right, it is foolish to think that any player would pay attention to the currency paid, I guarantee that is one of the first things they look at.

KCargosfan
02-02-2016, 01:19 AM
Really?
You don't think players and or their agents talk about such things??
You are right, it is foolish to think that any player would pay attention to the currency paid, I guarantee that is one of the first things they look at.

It's not like they are getting paid in pesos.

Agent: "Hey, I've got a potential job in Canada. No one from the NFL is calling. If you want another shot at the NFL, I suggest heading to Canada. You can also make decent cash on your second CFL contract if the NFL never shows interest again and you make it in Canada."

Player: "Stinks about the NFL. What do I do for Canada?"

Agent: "Show up to Toronto in late May for training camp. The money isn't great by football standards, but it's a liveable wage, you'll make around $2K American a game. In Canadian dollars, it's just under $3K a game. But you can go work selling insurance for 50 hours a week if you want? Or try being a journalist or drive for Uber or work for construction if you are balking at making $2K a game."

Player: "Cool, I'll be in Calgary in late May."

Agent: "P.S. Watch some CFL film, realize there are 12 players on each side, and don't think you're better than everyone there, because those athletes are great. Also, you need to be about 15 pounds lower than your NFL playing weight so you can be faster for longer."

Argo57
02-02-2016, 07:47 AM
It's not like they are getting paid in pesos.

Agent: "Hey, I've got a potential job in Canada. No one from the NFL is calling. If you want another shot at the NFL, I suggest heading to Canada. You can also make decent cash on your second CFL contract if the NFL never shows interest again and you make it in Canada."

Player: "Stinks about the NFL. What do I do for Canada?"

Agent: "Show up to Toronto in late May for training camp. The money isn't great by football standards, but it's a liveable wage, you'll make around $2K American a game. In Canadian dollars, it's just under $3K a game. But you can go work selling insurance for 50 hours a week if you want? Or try being a journalist or drive for Uber or work for construction if you are balking at making $2K a game."

Player: "Cool, I'll be in Calgary in late May."

Agent: "P.S. Watch some CFL film, realize there are 12 players on each side, and don't think you're better than everyone there, because those athletes are great. Also, you need to be about 15 pounds lower than your NFL playing weight so you can be faster for longer."

Interesting script, not denying many players will still come here and play but many won't IMO.
My point is the talent pool will be reduced with our falling dollar but there is no way to measure this.

ArgoRavi
02-03-2016, 01:06 AM
Interesting script, not denying many players will still come here and play but many won't IMO.
My point is the talent pool will be reduced with our falling dollar but there is no way to measure this.

My feeling is that the talent pool won't be reduced by much at all but, as you say, there is no way to measure this.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8