PDA

View Full Version : Yet another NFL to Toronto article in the Sun

AngeloV
02-01-2016, 12:50 PM
When will they just give it a rest and stop embarrassing themselves? No wonder post media is in such financial crisis. Can't help but wonder if Godfrey himself had Kryk write this piece.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/31/an-alternate-pathway-with-a-super-incentive-might-some-day-get-toronto-an-nfl-team

gilthethrill
02-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Yes AV, I thought we were done with this too....

R.J
02-01-2016, 01:35 PM
As I've said before - "the dream will never die", but to be honest it's getting pathetic now.

argotom
02-01-2016, 03:08 PM
When will they just give it a rest and stop embarrassing themselves? No wonder post media is in such financial crisis. Can't help but wonder if Godfrey himself had Kryk write this piece.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/31/an-alternate-pathway-with-a-super-incentive-might-some-day-get-toronto-an-nfl-team

Absolutely AV.
The annual story that is not comes out at SB time just like the groundhog.
Of course, it does not see it's shadow and so it goes until a slow sports day before the SB.

Kenners
02-01-2016, 05:16 PM
lol it's click worthy because Toronto and NFL are in the same headline...clicks equals advertising, advertising equals keeping the website alive....and their jobs. like AT above me said, slow sports day and they gotta keep the lights on some how!

ArgoRavi
02-01-2016, 06:56 PM
What is Kryk smoking? There is 0.0% chance of any government kicking in money or land for an NFL stadium in Toronto.

Rocket
02-01-2016, 06:59 PM
As I've said before - "the dream will never die", but to be honest it's getting pathetic now.

Well it's not getting to pathetic for our ever loyal hard working Argo owner Larry tanebum in opening his big mouth on getting the nfl here.

"Issues"Mcgee
02-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Well it's not getting to pathetic for our ever loyal hard working Argo owner Larry tanebum in opening his big mouth on getting the nfl here.

Yeah! Curse Larry for not dropping all other business aspirations when he purchased the Argos! He should only be satisfied with the lucrative stream of revenue owning the Toronto Argonauts provides! He must be like, a man whose job it is to make money through owning sports teams! How dare he?!

Anyway, NFL in Toronto is not going to happen. Let the entitled attitude continue. It will only be a colder dose of reality for these people when Mexico or the UK gets an NFL team before Toronto.

Think of it this way. NFL owners don't want to expand, so the expansion is almost entirely out of the question. So the only way a new NFL franchise will come about is if a team moves. The owners have more than graciously showed that they won't hesitate to move to another city, but only if there is a promise of big bucks. Toronto never did show that promise once. So it's not going to happen. I would only worry about this if the NFL hosted games in Toronto again.

This is just a filler article to satisfy the NFL quota during Stupourbowl week.

jerrym
02-01-2016, 11:04 PM

Godfrey is as addicted to the fruitless pursuit of an NFL franchise as someone hooked on heroin.

gilthethrill
02-02-2016, 07:15 AM
And more realistic reality is the report of the newly formed Major League Football League wants to expand into Canada and Mexico next season. As Fraser Crane once said"Be afraid...be very afraid".

AngeloV
02-02-2016, 10:00 AM
And more realistic reality is the report of the newly formed Major League Football League wants to expand into Canada and Mexico next season. As Fraser Crane once said"Be afraid...be very afraid".

I still don't think the league will ever get off the ground. They have already drafted for some designated roster spots, but haven't even secured what cities, let alone stadiums, they will be playing in.

Godfrey is as addicted to the fruitless pursuit of an NFL franchise as someone hooked on heroin.

Great line Jerry!!

1argoholic
02-02-2016, 12:58 PM
NEVER heard of the guy but I e-mailed him to stop the BS and to tell him to tell Godfrey to stop pulling strings and pushing buttons.haha.

As our dollar TANKS and Canadians are struggling to buy cauliflower this dickhead writes this article. How in touch this bunch is. What a pack of F$%KS!!!!!

gilthethrill
02-02-2016, 01:41 PM
I still don't think the league will ever get off the ground. They have already drafted for some designated roster spots, but haven't even secured what cities, let alone stadiums, they will be playing in.

I agree AV....too much work to be done in time for April....I do miss the old USFL though.

Rocket
02-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Yeah! Curse Larry for not dropping all other business aspirations when he purchased the Argos! He should only be satisfied with the lucrative stream of revenue owning the Toronto Argonauts provides! He must be like, a man whose job it is to make money through owning sports teams! How dare he?!

Anyway, NFL in Toronto is not going to happen. Let the entitled attitude continue. It will only be a colder dose of reality for these people when Mexico or the UK gets an NFL team before Toronto.

Think of it this way. NFL owners don't want to expand, so the expansion is almost entirely out of the question. So the only way a new NFL franchise will come about is if a team moves. The owners have more than graciously showed that they won't hesitate to move to another city, but only if there is a promise of big bucks. Toronto never did show that promise once. So it's not going to happen. I would only worry about this if the NFL hosted games in Toronto again.
This is just a filler article to satisfy the NFL quota during Stupourbowl week.

Didn't say he had to drop his other teams just saying why does he have to open his big mouth about nfl in Toronto again! Like I said before we have heard not one word about him running the Argos since he bought the team but we have heard him in the media talk about the nfl in Toronto in this time. That just is not right in my books as a Argo fan. why doesn't this old man and his little weasel buddies decide to have a talk with Argo fans to get hear what they really think about this matter!

R.J
02-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Didn't say he had to drop his other teams just saying why does he have to open his big mouth about nfl in Toronto again! Like I said before we have heard not one word about him running the Argos since he bought the team but we have heard him in the media talk about the nfl in Toronto in this time. That just is not right in my books as a Argo fan. why doesn't this old man and his little weasel buddies decide to have a talk with Argo fans to get hear what they really think about this matter!
Tanenbaum was at the Bloomberg Economic Series: Canada, the day after the sale press conference, he was asked by a reporter about the NFL. He didn't go out of his way to bring it up or talk about it. Only gave a short answer about the NFL then said this - "While Tanenbaum says a Toronto-based NFL team is inevitable, he says his immediate priorities remain MLSE and the Argos, highlighting that MLSE is contributing $100 million toward the $120-million renovation of the city-owned BMO Field. City and provincial governments are paying the remainder, and by next spring the stadium will be ready to host CFL games. “If you’ve had the experience of going to BMO Field, you’ll understand what a great venue it is,” Tanenbaum said. “For CFL football it really has tremendous sightlines.”
http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/05/21/argos-boss-tanenbaum-says-the-nfl-is-coming-to-toronto-eventually.html

So he brought up the Argonauts as well, 1 for 1 it would seem.

jerrym
02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
This Toronto Star article says it best:

Toronto’s dream of landing NFL fading fastAs NFL owners prepare to decide which of three teams (San Diego, St. Louis, Oakland) they will allow to relocate to Los Angeles, Toronto has never seemed quite so far away. ...
Eight years ago, when the Buffalo Bills announced their extended plans for Canada, there seemed to be a real sense Toronto’s long-standing search for an NFL franchise was about to come to an end. Now, as NFL owners prepare to decide which of three teams (San Diego, St. Louis, Oakland) they will allow to relocate to Los Angeles, Toronto has never seemed quite so far away.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2016/01/08/torontos-dream-of-landing-nfl-fading-fast.html

R.J
02-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Goodell was asked about an NFL team coming to Toronto on Friday; his answer as usual: Toronto an important market; as is all of Canada.
Not a direct quote obviously, but you get the idea.

ArgoZ
02-06-2016, 01:22 PM
This Toronto Star article says it best:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2016/01/08/torontos-dream-of-landing-nfl-fading-fast.html

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Two NFL teams in good markets are going to relocate and share a stadium in LA. The only reason is $. The NFL owners are not interested in Toronto. There is no need to even talk about it anymore, in our media that is.

R.J
02-06-2016, 02:53 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mexico City has replaced Toronto on the NFL&#39;s international agenda. <br> <br> <a href="https://t.co/z5MjqYNIZi">https://t.co/z5MjqYNIZi</a></p>&mdash; Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/695300380305952768">February 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Goodell formally announces the Mexico City game next season. Nov. 21, Raiders vs. Texans.</p>&mdash; Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/695693463627534336">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

argolio
02-07-2016, 02:47 PM
That Sun article was just Paul Godfrey (via his stooge) trying to counter the release of the Argo seating chart.

1argoholic
02-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Karma will get him.

R.J
04-28-2016, 08:07 PM
The Pipe Dream lives!
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/28/toronto-nfl-team-still-possible-goodell

the chances of an international NFL team someday were "very high." He mentioned Toronto and Mexico City as possible locations before pointing to Britain as the most likely destination.

Scooter McCray
04-28-2016, 08:29 PM
When Chris Berman interviewed Goodell tonight pre draft he spoke about Mexico City and London. Toronto never came up. Is there any hope the Toronto media will choose to support the Argos and CFL if they admit to themselves that the NFL is a pipe dream here.

TOBenfica
04-28-2016, 09:07 PM
NFL will NEVER come.... buffalo is a small market that relies on the southern Ontario market.... if Toronto gets a team, buffalo will suffer. the Nfl will never allow it.

AngeloV
04-29-2016, 11:47 AM
NFL will NEVER come.... buffalo is a small market that relies on the southern Ontario market.... if Toronto gets a team, buffalo will suffer. the Nfl will never allow it.

Agreed. And as I have told everyone I work with that believes it will happen, if the NFL really wanted to be here, they would have been here long ago. They see that the Blue Jays and Raptors get brutal ratings south of the border, and likely have concluded it would be the same with a Toronto NFL team.

Raptors playoff game tonight is being shown on ESPN news channel, which speaks volumes. They don't even want to put them on the deuce.

ArgoRavi
04-30-2016, 02:11 AM
Agreed. And as I have told everyone I work with that believes it will happen, if the NFL really wanted to be here, they would have been here long ago. They see that the Blue Jays and Raptors get brutal ratings south of the border, and likely have concluded it would be the same with a Toronto NFL team.

Raptors playoff game tonight is being shown on ESPN news channel, which speaks volumes. They don't even want to put them on the deuce.

You just know that the NBA head office is hoping and praying that the Raptors lose Game 7 as their TV ratings in the U.S. is a black hole.

Deerkeeper
04-30-2016, 06:52 AM
You just know that the NBA head office is hoping and praying that the Raptors lose Game 7 as their TV ratings in the U.S. is a black hole.Raptor TV ratings in Canada are in a black hole as well.

rdavies
04-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Raptors barely rate well in the GTA (during the regular season), but then again, all their fans are watching for two hours on a 3 inch long screen and not being counted, or so we keep being told. Same story TFC.

rdavies
04-30-2016, 08:08 AM
When Chris Berman interviewed Goodell tonight pre draft he spoke about Mexico City and London.I honestly don't know how London can work. I read an article a couple years ago where one plan was that the team would be based in the eastern US and fly over for games. I'll try and find it.

Americans don't even want to play in Canada (remember the complaints about not seeing themselves on ESPN). Why the hell would they want to play even farther away with a culture that is even more different. Same as Mexico.

I think they can get the fan support in London but I can't see this going over with the players too well. Sure, they'll take their 5 million a year but their heart won't be in it and that doesn't lead to on field success.

PullTogether73
04-30-2016, 04:55 PM

When has the NFL ever guaranteed a team in its current market?

Baltimore Colts/Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Rams/Los Angeles Rams/St.Louis Rams/Los Angeles Rams, Chicago Cardinals/St. Louis Cardinals/Arizona Cardinals, Boston Redskins/Washington Redskins, Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans....

The Bills can be moved as easily as any of the above.

jerrym
05-01-2016, 01:02 AM
When will they just give it a rest and stop embarrassing themselves?

The dream will never end because they won't allow reality to interfere.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8