PDA

View Full Version : Steve Simmons article in the Toronto Sun

Will
03-15-2012, 01:04 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/13/torontos-out-of-sync-with-canada

Do you ever get the feeling you’re living in Toronto, but not necessarily in Canada?

This sounds eerily similar to a few posts on this site.

The basic premise of the article is that major sporting events in Canada such as the Briar, Grey Cup and World Junior Hockey Championship don't resonate in Toronto the way they do outside of the city. About the CFL he basically says that although the league does well out west and in Montreal that the CFL's silence on TV ratings in Southern Ontario is telling as to their actual numbers. I think it's still speculation, but we've heard contradictory reports as to how well the CFL does on TV in Southern Ontario.

But, I wanted to address the idea as a whole. Toronto is a sports market that we've pretty much concluded is interested in major league sports. The OHL does not do particularly well in Brampton or Mississauga. Oshawa is the exception, however some wouldn't even define Oshawa as part of the GTA and that franchise has a lot more history and tradition to fall back on. The AHL has trouble drawing fans in Toronto, and the Maple Leafs simply view the Marlies location as convenience when it comes to calling up players and sending them down. The World Junior tournament has never come to Toronto, but I have a inkling that it would be a success here.

Ron
03-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Simmons is forgetting a successful Memorial Cup in Mississauga recently.

When you look at the major cities across Canada. (The 3) They all fit the description of major event towns.

argonaut11xx
03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
This blowhard is an expert in nothing.

He likes hearing his own voice, and has convinced himself he actually has some clout. (He has none)

Whats his background/expertise?

Want a laugh, watch him attempt to be a hockey coach in the N.Y.H.L.

Will
03-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Simmons is forgetting a successful Memorial Cup in Mississauga recently.

When you look at the major cities across Canada. (The 3) They all fit the description of major event towns.

That's something I sort of forgot to point out as well, thanks Ron for doing so as well.

argonaut11xx
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM
we attended the memorial cup last yr...stayed in the host hotel, and its was good times

7dj83r8f78t4alf8