PDA

View Full Version : Sad story about former Argo coach Willie Wood

Will
02-04-2016, 02:37 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/sports/football/willie-wood-made-the-most-memorable-play-of-super-bowl-i-he-has-no-recollection.html

Paul talked quite a bit about Wood in his book Bouncing Back and didn't you write an article about him too? Wood was a great player in the NFL for the Packers in the 1960's and tried his hand at coaching. While, his tenure as Argos coach saw him go 6-20 many of the players (at least on offense) who would form the nucleus of the 1983 Grey Cup winning team were brought in under his watch.

jerrym
02-04-2016, 03:26 PM
I loved him as a PacKer, thought he always remained a gentleman during difficult times as Argo HC, and agree he helped assemble a considerable part of the 1983 Grey Cup team that ended the Argo drought, allegedly brought on by the Frank Clair curse.

Argo57
02-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Sad to see what many of these former players have endured (and will endure).
Love football but what a toll it can take on both body and mind.
I remember the Argonauts were horrible during that era but Wood always came across like a real gentleman.

paulwoods13
02-04-2016, 05:49 PM
That's a great piece. It's odd, I was just thinking about WW (must have been the recent stories about Super Bowl 1) and wondering how he was doing. I'd love to do a full book on Willie -- I think there's enough in his life story to warrant one -- but it's probably not a project I will be able to get to.

Here is a link to the piece I wrote three years ago:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/30/paying-homage-to-super-bowl-trailblazer-willie-wood

ArgoRavi
02-04-2016, 08:11 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/sports/football/willie-wood-made-the-most-memorable-play-of-super-bowl-i-he-has-no-recollection.html

Paul talked quite a bit about Wood in his book Bouncing Back and didn't you write an article about him too? Wood was a great player in the NFL for the Packers in the 1960's and tried his hand at coaching. While, his tenure as Argos coach saw him go 6-20 many of the players (at least on offense) who would form the nucleus of the 1983 Grey Cup winning team were brought in under his watch.

I like the photo of Wood watching Argos' training camp in 1980. That is how I remember him. The article makes a mistake in that it wasn't a change of ownership that precipitated Willie being shown the door but a change in President when Ralph Sazio was lured from Hamilton.

One of the things I remember from that time was Willie's son, Willie Jr., spending the summers in Toronto. I remember seeing a photo of Willie Wood Jr. suited up in uniform and setting up in a three point stance at an Argos' practice. I think that he was around 13 years-old at the time.

gilthethrill
02-05-2016, 10:40 AM
In his first HC stint in the WFL, Willie also coached Vince Papale (there was a movie about him titled Invincible).

1argoholic
02-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Argo57 I second those thoughts. He was a class guy for sure. The older I get with all of my soreness from the head down as I joke (mostly from landscaping) makes me feel for anyone playing sports and what their future holds. I had a few sports injuries but the landscape grind has caused my aches mainly. Thanks to Volterin. The stuff is a miracle cream.

Argo
02-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Obviously, contact in football must be curtailed in order to avoid concussions and C.T.E.
Let's hope it happens ASAP. Perhaps it might, since the Almighty Dollar is on the cusp of taking centre stage (liability, etc.).

7dj83r8f78t4alf8