PDA

View Full Version : Changes Coming To TSN 1050?

Will
02-04-2016, 04:53 PM
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/changes-coming-to-tsn-1050/20496

--

I don't know how connected this guy is but:

Mornings with David Naylor (http://twitter.com/tsndavenaylor) and Michael Landsberg (http://twitter.com/Michael%20Landsberg)
Afternoon drive with Bryan Hayes (http://twitter.com/hayestsn) and current Leafs Lunch members like Jeff O’Neil (https://twitter.com/odognine2)
Hayes current slot filled by Mike Richards (http://twitter.com/mikerichardstsn)
I haven’t heard whether Leafs lunch remains 12-2
I haven’t heard what’s happening with mid morning show

PM drive isn't going to be particularly CFL friendly anymore.

AngeloV
02-04-2016, 05:06 PM
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/changes-coming-to-tsn-1050/20496

--

I don't know how connected this guy is but:

PM drive isn't going to be particularly CFL friendly anymore.

I won't like that. I usually listen to Richards on my morning drive and Naylor on my drive home. I like the current format of Hayes on while I'm at work and not available to listen. I really don't like him.

R.J
02-04-2016, 05:23 PM
I won't like that. I usually listen to Richards on my morning drive and Naylor on my drive home. I like the current format of Hayes on while I'm at work and not available to listen. I really don't like him.
Same; not a fan of Hayes at all. The move make sense though; the leafs lunch guys are a big hit with the millennials, so by moving them to the drive hour; they take the more desirable demo from McCown. While I've never been a big fan of Landsberg; I'm glad to see TSN find a spot for him after canceling "Off The Record". I can't remember the last time Richards has done an afternoon show, but I like that move as I'll finally have something to listen to in the 12-4 slot (Can't stand Hayes or Brady). I'm still holding out hope that one day Micallef makes his way to TSN (not crazy about Seixeiro, but wouldn't mind him coming over either).

Will
02-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Same; not a fan of Hayes at all. The move make sense though; the leafs lunch guys are a big hit with the millennials, so by moving them to the drive hour; they take the more desirable demo from McCown. While I've never been a big fan of Landsberg; I'm glad to see TSN find a spot for him after canceling "Off The Record". I can't remember the last time Richards has done an afternoon show, but I like that move as I'll finally have something to listen to in the 12-4 slot (Can't stand Hayes or Brady). I'm still holding out hope that one day Micallef makes his way to TSN (not crazy about Seixeiro, but wouldn't mind him coming over either).

They'd have to diversify that PM drive spot with a co-host aside from O'Neill. How versatile is he in talking about other sports besides hockey?

R.J
02-04-2016, 05:38 PM
They'd have to diversify that PM drive spot with a co-host aside from O'Neill. How versatile is he in talking about other sports besides hockey?
Not sure; O'Neill does watch other sports though; Noodles not so much.

paulwoods13
02-04-2016, 05:42 PM
This is not a recipe for turning things around altho it might provide a boost in the morning, where IMO the Fan is vulnerable. No one can out-ratings McCown in afternoon drive, and I don't see Hayes doing any better than Naylor in that slot. At least morning drive will have actual sports talk and not stupid songs and impersonations.

R.J
02-04-2016, 05:53 PM
This is not a recipe for turning things around altho it might provide a boost in the morning, where IMO the Fan is vulnerable. No one can out-ratings McCown in afternoon drive, and I don't see Hayes doing any better than Naylor in that slot. At least morning drive will have actual sports talk and not stupid songs and impersonations.
McCown will continue to top the overall ratings, but TSN will improve the 18-34 demo in the 4-7 time slot. Mike Richards was gaining quite a bit of ground in the morning time slot; I think with the move of Naylor to the mornings; TSN will beat out TheFan in that time slot.

argotom
02-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Still does not matter how you reshuffle the deck it's still anti CFL friendly.
1050 is lite 590.
Same crap different station.

AngeloV
02-04-2016, 09:02 PM
At least morning drive will have actual sports talk and not stupid songs and impersonations.

I love the morning show. I have to be serious all day long at work, and love the laughs Richards gives me in the morning. Personally I love the balance of sports and comedy. Richards knows his sports.

Still does not matter how you reshuffle the deck it's still anti CFL friendly.
1050 is lite 590.
Same crap different station.

Richards has addressed this. He loves the CFL (all football really) but gets complaint after complaint whenever he talks CFL on his show. Sometimes you have to realize, it's the market that dictates the programming.

argotom
02-04-2016, 10:00 PM
I love the morning show. I have to be serious all day long at work, and love the laughs Richards gives me in the morning. Personally I love the balance of sports and comedy. Richards knows his sports.

Richards has addressed this. He loves the CFL (all football really) but gets complaint after complaint whenever he talks CFL on his show. Sometimes you have to realize, it's the market that dictates the programming.

The program managers generally dictate programming.
Having said that, after decades of being told about the NFL and the wannabee factor regrettably it's like the Stockholm syndrome for the minions in the city and GTA.

Will
02-05-2016, 09:20 AM
The program managers generally dictate programming.
Having said that, after decades of being told about the NFL and the wannabee factor regrettably it's like the Stockholm syndrome for the minions in the city and GTA.

...and you don't think the program manager isn't looking at market trends?

argotom
02-05-2016, 01:42 PM
...and you don't think the program manager isn't looking at market trends?

How about the same market trends confirming the CFL TV numbers have a substantial market share in the GTA?

R.J
02-05-2016, 02:04 PM
How about the same market trends confirming the CFL TV numbers have a substantial market share in the GTA?

Which have gone down substantially the last 2.5 seasons and the NFL's are continuing to rise.

argotom
02-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Which have gone down substantially the last 2.5 seasons and the NFL's are continuing to rise.

Source please?
However even if this is correct, then proportionality the CFL should receive at least the appropriate coverage.
Tell me why it hasn't, as it is not even mentioned as an aside.
Save and except game days coverage.
For me it's the wannabe US factor here.

R.J
02-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Source please?
However even if this is correct, then proportionality the CFL should receive at least the appropriate coverage.
Tell me why it hasn't, as it is not even mentioned as an aside.
Save and except game days coverage.
For me it's the wannabe US factor here.
Provide your source that CFL numbers have a substantial market share in the GTA. I find it really hard to believe; especially since there were a bunch of games not on TSN4 in 2015.

argotom
02-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Provide your source that CFL numbers have a substantial market share in the GTA. I find it really hard to believe; especially since there were a bunch of games not on TSN4 in 2015.

It's a well known fact the GTA TV numbers were around 200,000.

R.J
02-05-2016, 05:01 PM
It's a well known fact the GTA TV numbers were around 200,000.
Source please.

R.J
02-18-2016, 02:30 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-1050-toronto-announces-new-daily-lineup-1.439722

TSN 1050's official line-up change.

- 5:30 to 9am et: NAYLOR & LANDSBERG IN THE MORNING – TSN 1050 Toronto’s new morning show brings together informed opinions from two of Canada's most trusted sports voices. Featuring a roundtable of regular Insiders and experts including James Duthie, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, and Pierre McGuire, Dave Naylor and Michael Landsberg kick off each morning with thought-provoking discussion surrounding everything from the hottest headlines to some of the overlooked stories from around the world of sports.

- 9am to Noon et: GAME DAY WITH MATT CAUZ – Host Matt Cauz continues to be joined by Gareth Wheeler and the top Insiders and analysts in the game to talk about what Toronto sports fans care about the most – with a little pop culture added in along the way.

- Noon to 1pm et: LEAFS LUNCH – Headlined by new host Andi Petrillo, LEAFS LUNCH remains the destination for everything Leafs. Featuring a rotation of co-hosts, including TSN Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, and Pierre LeBrun, plus TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button and TSN Hockey analyst Dave Poulin, LEAFS LUNCH continues to be the source for trusted Leafs news and analysis, plus a daily look at what’s going on around the league.
- 1 to 4pm et: RICHARDS 1-4 – Now featured in a new afternoon time slot, Mike Richards continues to bring his unique brand of humour to the biggest stories in sports.

- 4 to 7pm et: OVERDRIVE WITH HAYES, NOODLES & THE O’DOG – With a loyal following both on-air and online, Bryan Hayes, Jamie 'Noodles' McLennan, and Jeff 'The O’Dog' O’Neill become the new anchors of TSN 1050’s drive-home slot. Now armed with an extra hour to deliver more fan-favourite segments like Grit Grinders, The Goat Tracker, and Gerry’s Percentages, OVERDRIVE WITH HAYES, NOODLES & THE O’DOG will continue to talk sports and have fun. TSN Hockey analyst Ray Ferraro joins the show weekdays at 5pm et, while a slate of TSN Insiders and experts also contribute to the show regularly.
Fans can also follow OVERDRIVE WITH HAYES, NOODLES & THE O’DOG most weekdays at 6pm et on TSN2 (visit TSN.ca/TV for a confirmed broadcast schedule).

Happy to see Petrillo get the Leafs Lunch slot. IMO she's done a great job filling in when needed. I still wish Hayes would be given the boot, but oh well.

Side note: Sportsnet 590 (TheFan) has relieved Jeff Sammut and Greg Brady of their duties. TSN 1150 Hamilton's afternoon show is hosted by Jim Tatti (not sure if that's new or not).

gilthethrill
02-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Side note: Sportsnet 590 (TheFan) has relieved Jeff Sammut and Greg Brady of their duties. TSN 1150 Hamilton's afternoon show is hosted by Jim Tatti (not sure if that's new or not).

Always have enjoyed Jim Tatti....

AngeloV
02-18-2016, 04:48 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-1050-toronto-announces-new-daily-lineup-1.439722

TSN 1050's official line-up change.

Happy to see Petrillo get the Leafs Lunch slot. IMO she's done a great job filling in when needed. I still wish Hayes would be given the boot, but oh well.

I'm really going to miss Richards. I can't listen 1-4 at the office.
I guess I'll be listening to Marsh and Milton more often on my drive home now.
Agreed on Patrillo. She was very good on HNIC as well.
I think Tatti has been on at noon on 1150 since it started. He hosted Ti-Cats lunch.
Brady's a jerk. Shocked he was fired from the all jerk station. Maybe the jerk store called because they were all out of him?
Sammut wasn't bad from what I remember. Pretty funny guy.

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 05:20 PM
What the heck happened to Bob Mackowycz? He just seemed to disappear off the face of the earth ages ago.

ArgoRavi
02-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Brady's a jerk. Shocked he was fired from the all jerk station. Maybe the jerk store called because they were all out of him?

Brady is certainly not a fan of the CFL/Argos.

R.J
02-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Brady is certainly not a fan of the CFL/Argos.
I still remember Jim Lang stating that Brady was a Tiger-Cat fan; something I find highly unlikely. I recall Brady having to be continually shown proof that the CFL and Argos generate higher ratings than the Raps and Blue Jays (prior to 2015).

"Issues"Mcgee
02-18-2016, 10:21 PM
I really feel sorry for Naylor having to work with Landsberg. Nobody deserves that. I wonder for how long he will be able to take being cut off every ten seconds.

Gill The Thrill
02-19-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm really going to miss Richards. I can't listen 1-4 at the office.
I guess I'll be listening to Marsh and Milton more often on my drive home now.
Agreed on Patrillo. She was very good on HNIC as well.
I think Tatti has been on at noon on 1150 since it started. He hosted Ti-Cats lunch.
Sammut wasn't bad from what I remember. Pretty funny guy.
Tatti's been the noon hour guy on TSN 1150 Hamilton, imo the best sportscaster in the GTHA. He's a real pro and very knowledgeable on many sports. I've really cut down on listening to sports radio, especially 590 and 1050. I find them really boring. I only listen to TSN Hamilton 1150 because they cover the CFL, whether Tatti at noon, or Marsh and Milton after 4pm. They should actually have a morning slot instead of syndicating US programming.

I really feel sorry for Naylor having to work with Landsberg. Nobody deserves that. I wonder for how long he will be able to take being cut off every ten seconds. I'd much rather hear Landsberg than Naylor, but both are big CFL fans that are quite knowledgeable. It could be worse...could be whiner boy Bruce Arthur who knows nothing about most sports imo.

Argo57
02-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Tatti's been the noon hour guy on TSN 1150 Hamilton, imo the best sportscaster in the GTHA. He's a real pro and very knowledgeable on many sports. I've really cut down on listening to sports radio, especially 590 and 1050. I find them really boring. I only listen to TSN Hamilton 1150 because they cover the CFL, whether Tatti at noon, or Marsh and Milton after 4pm. They should actually have a morning slot instead of syndicating US programming.
I'd much rather hear Landsberg than Naylor, but both are big CFL fans that are quite knowledgeable. It could be worse...could be whiner boy Bruce Arthur who knows nothing about most sports imo.

I have started to listen to 1150 as well, always liked Tatti from the old Sportsline days plus he doesn't come across have the "too cool for school" act that they must teach at 590.
590 used to have some likeable on air talent back in the day (Hogan, Shulman, Stellick) and the like, now a bunch of nasal voiced weasels....no thanks!

AngeloV
02-19-2016, 11:44 AM
I have started to listen to 1150 as well, always liked Tatti from the old Sportsline days plus he doesn't come across have the "too cool for school" act that they must teach at 590.
590 used to have some likeable on air talent back in the day (Hogan, Shulman, Stellick) and the like, now a bunch of nasal voiced weasels....no thanks!

I think Tatti is a workaholic. He works a lot of shifts at 1050 including hosting Leafs and Raptors broadcasts. Works lunch at 1150 weekdays. Host Golf talk Canada, and from what I understand also works in real estate. He was on Global when I was in my teens, so I don't think he's exactly a spring chicken either.

R.J
02-19-2016, 01:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLKOAd0h_4

Will
02-19-2016, 06:55 PM

The turning point for that was when Nelson Millman was replaced by Don Kollins.

Scooter McCray
02-23-2016, 01:09 PM
Seeing as they are perennially in 2nd place why don't they actually try something outside the box. Cover the CFL. Nobody else is doing it. See what happens. Doing the same thing over and over again covering what everyone else covers is getting them nowhere. They might actually grab listeners online from across Canada who are thirsting for this coverage. That would actually be a visionary business decision.

Will
03-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Seeing as they are perennially in 2nd place why don't they actually try something outside the box. Cover the CFL. Nobody else is doing it. See what happens. Doing the same thing over and over again covering what everyone else covers is getting them nowhere. They might actually grab listeners online from across Canada who are thirsting for this coverage. That would actually be a visionary business decision.

Angelo has relayed the story that Mike Richards told him that he always got a ton of complaints if he talked about CFL.

R.J
03-06-2016, 12:06 PM
So, I've listened to a few of the morning shows and IMO Landsberg was miscast as a radio guy and co-host. While I have never been a fan of Landsberg; I was happy to hear that TSN was keeping him around (as he's one of the originals). In saying that, the awkward interviewing has continued and I feel that things are even worse as he's co-hosting with Naylor, which leads to Naylor being in awkward situations and having to carry on.

AngeloV
03-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Angelo has relayed the story that Mike Richards told him that he always got a ton of complaints if he talked about CFL.

Richards has also complained about this on the air.

R.J
03-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Richards has also complained about this on the air.
Does he ever get complaints after he brings up the Blue Jays, Raptors or TFC ?

R.J
08-23-2016, 11:15 AM
http://torontosportsmedia.com/business-of-sports/breaking-mike-richards-tsn-1050-mutually-split/21160

Well sucks. I've always enjoyed Richards, and with him gone there could be even less Argo and Rock talk. In saying that, I think the writing was on the wall when all the changes were made and Richards went to the afternoon slot.

Will
08-23-2016, 11:20 AM
http://torontosportsmedia.com/business-of-sports/breaking-mike-richards-tsn-1050-mutually-split/21160

Well sucks. I've always enjoyed Richards, and with him gone there could be even less Argo and Rock talk. In saying that, I think the writing was on the wall when all the changes were made and Richards went to the afternoon slot.

Exactly.
I also don't understand what is going on with their 9-12 spot. It is theoretically supposed to be Cauz and Wheeler, but I don't think those two have worked together very much at all during the summer.

AngeloV
08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
Really sucks. I hope (and I guess it's a long shot) that TSN11150 goes away from their Mike and Mike ESPN morning show, and hires Richards. He's worked morning radio in Hamilton before.

R.J
08-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Really sucks. I hope (and I guess it's a long shot) that TSN11150 goes away from their Mike and Mike ESPN morning show, and hires Richards. He's worked morning radio in Hamilton before.
I'd be good with this.

Argocister
08-25-2016, 12:10 AM
I've always enjoyed Richards ..... Maybe it's an age related thing .
But wasn't he ill a couple summers ago? Maybe it's more health related ...... Anyway, I for one will miss him .... I guess I'm just getting older but the TSN lineup isn't that appealing to me lately

PullTogether73
08-25-2016, 08:05 AM
I've always enjoyed Richards ..... Maybe it's an age related thing .
But wasn't he ill a couple summers ago? Maybe it's more health related ...... Anyway, I for one will miss him .... I guess I'm just getting older but the TSN lineup isn't that appealing to me lately

I doubt it was health related.
Likely the "demotion". Richards has a healthy ego imo, and losing the featured morning slot was probably a big insult.
He'll turn up on another station. As suggested, a move to TSN 1150 Hamilton's morning show would be great.

I'll miss the Bob Cole impressions especially.
"Oooh baby!"
Lol!

Will
08-25-2016, 10:08 AM
I somehow think that if a transition to 1150 was in the cards then we'd know about it already.

AngeloV
08-25-2016, 03:37 PM
I somehow think that if a transition to 1150 was in the cards then we'd know about it already.

Not necessarily. They may be contractually obligated for now to their ESPN show. I am hoping they eventually do go to more local programming, and IMO, it would be a huge step in the right direction.

PullTogether73
01-10-2017, 01:33 AM
Don't know how old this may be, but I see (well, hear) David Bastl is back at Sportsnet.

R.J
01-30-2017, 07:49 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Get ready for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheMorningScrum?src=hash">#TheMorningScrum</a> with Jamie Thomas and Louie B., weekdays from 6am-9am starting February 6th! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/tsn1150?src=hash">#tsn1150</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/hamont?src=hash">#hamont</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/radio?src=hash">#radio</a> <a href="https://t.co/jOBlUUizZO">pic.twitter.com/jOBlUUizZO</a></p>&mdash; TSN Radio 1150 (@TSN1150) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSN1150/status/826082922402807808">January 30, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Happy to see and hear that 1150 will now have a morning show. Anyone know who will take over the afternoon slot ?

Argocister
02-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Good for 1150
I listen to 1150 more the past year than 1050 ..... Better signal in KWCambridge area and more CFL!

S.A.C.
02-15-2017, 07:31 PM
... Richards ... He'll turn up on another station...
I'll miss the Bob Cole impressions especially.
"Oooh baby!"
Lol!A little out of date now I suppose, but he did a bunch of impressions that almost always made me laugh -- Bob O'Billovich, Pinball, Foster Hewitt, Dick Smyth, Robin Leach, David Lee Roth ...
Mike Richards has said he will be making some kind of announcement tomorrow (I assume on Twitter and/or Facebook) at 5 pm. If anything, he seems to be hinting at it being more independent, so I would guess probably something like his own website, podcast, or YouTube thing, and likely not working for Rogers, Bell, or Corus.

Edit: Not that you had to be Kreskin to have guessed correctly, but it is indeed his own website, RawMikeRichards.com .

AngeloV
03-30-2017, 11:56 AM
After the Argos Open mic session, a few of us went out for a drink and it was brought up that Matt Cauz was let go by 1050. They have extended the morning show and hour, and Leafs Lunch to 2 hours, filling the 3rd hour of Cauz and Wheelers show with Dan Patrick. I suspect, you will get 3 hours of Patrick during the summer and Leafs lunch on holidays.

I am really disturbed by the way things are playing out at 1050, as I had really high hopes for the station. Over the last couple of years, they have cut the 7-11 evening slot and now the 9-12 morning slot, filling with Fox sports radio and Dan Patrick. IMO, it has all but killed any additional Argo coverage that we have hoped would come. Mike Hogan, the most Argo friendly host, doesn't even have his own show anymore. Used to fil in for Cauz and Wheeler, or the 1-4 slot. This really adds to the challenge of the Argos front office. The lack of coverage over the air waves really hurts them.

I realize the budget cuts are deemed necessary, but if I want to hear US sports radio, and I occasionally do, I just listen to ESPN radio on line. TSN IMO, would be better off reducing the some of the local shows and go with a National show. It would definitely fit better into a budget, and keep the Canadian content. For example, keep all the local morning and evening drive shows as is, but add a National show the rest of the day.

paulwoods13
03-30-2017, 12:01 PM
I realize the budget cuts are deemed necessary, but if I want to hear US sports radio, and I occasionally do, I just listen to ESPN radio on line. TSN IMO, would be better off reducing the some of the local shows and go with a National show. It would definitely fit better into a budget, and keep the Canadian content. For example, keep all the local morning and evening drive shows as is, but add a National show the rest of the day.

I think the problem with this is that any really successful sports radio station has focused on local. Sports by nature tends to be locally oriented. Would Torontonians tune in to hear a lot of talk about the Canucks, Oilers, Blue Bombers, etc.? I think CFL fans here would, if there was lots of CFL content through the day, but I doubt hockey, baseball and basketball fans would want a national approach. I think Bell will probably abandon the sports talk format in Toronto at some point. Hopefully 1150 sticks to sports and maybe eventually goes with 18 hours of local programming each day.

Will
03-30-2017, 12:30 PM
This topic was touched on at the meeting itself when someone mentioned that many of us have to go to TSN 1150 for our Argos fix. Marshall Ferguson is to be praised because I think he recognizes that and sprinkles in some Argo programming into his show.

TSN 1050 faced an uphill battle as (i) 590 had been around for ~20 years and (ii) CFRB is and always will be the king of the AM dial in Toronto. It is disappointing to hear that 1050 is struggling as we like to think of them as more pro-CFL than 590 even if this isn't necessarily always the case.

AngeloV
03-30-2017, 08:03 PM
I think the problem with this is that any really successful sports radio station has focused on local. Sports by nature tends to be locally oriented. Would Torontonians tune in to hear a lot of talk about the Canucks, Oilers, Blue Bombers, etc.? I think CFL fans here would, if there was lots of CFL content through the day, but I doubt hockey, baseball and basketball fans would want a national approach. I think Bell will probably abandon the sports talk format in Toronto at some point. Hopefully 1150 sticks to sports and maybe eventually goes with 18 hours of local programming each day.

I get what you're saying Paul, but I think a national show would do at least as well as Fox sports radio does, and probably better. It probably wouldn't even cost that much as they can have different personalities from TV (they seem to have so many there already) each taking a night of the week.

ArgoRavi
03-30-2017, 11:30 PM
I get what you're saying Paul, but I think a national show would do at least as well as Fox sports radio does, and probably better. It probably wouldn't even cost that much as they can have different personalities from TV (they seem to have so many there already) each taking a night of the week.

Does anyone remember The Team back in the early 2000s? Weren't they a national sports radio network? I recall Eric Tillman having a show on there back then and there was lots of CFL content. Unfortunately, it did not last long.

paulwoods13
03-31-2017, 06:23 AM
Does anyone remember The Team back in the early 2000s? Weren't they a national sports radio network? I recall Eric Tillman having a show on there back then and there was lots of CFL content. Unfortunately, it did not last long.

Yep. It was on 1050 in Toronto. IIRC, when it dropped the sports-talk format, one of the reasons given by mgmt. was that sports-talk works only with heavy local content. I agree with AV that TSN-produced national content would be better than Fox and/or ESPN and/or CBS, but it would probably also be more expensive.

S.A.C.
07-06-2017, 11:42 AM
For what it's worth (not much at this point I would guess), TSN 1050 is now also broadcast from the CN Tower on the HD radio signal of 104.5 CHUM-FM.
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/bell-media-radios-newstalk-1010-and-tsn-1050-now-available-in-crystal-clear-hd/

You need to have an HD radio receiver to get it. The cheapest new ones (portable or for cars) now seem to be in about the $70 to $100 range.
I got a used one like this cheaper on ebay last year, although it appears this brand and model is no longer available.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brand-New-Audiovox-Electronics-80-8600-Portable-Hd-Radio/485697291

The sound quality is a little better, as is reception indoors and on buses etc., and may be better at night and in places where the TSN 1050 AM signal is weak or does not reach.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/tsn-radio-not-getting-through/article8098791/

ArgoGabe22
07-06-2017, 01:54 PM
TSN 1050 is now airing a weekly CFL show during the evening. Will share more details if I can find anything.

AngeloV
07-06-2017, 08:02 PM
TSN 1050 is now airing a weekly CFL show during the evening. Will share more details if I can find anything.

CFL Weekly.
Looks like a weekly show across all the TSN radio network. Wednesdays.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/shows/cfl-weekly-1.789375

S.A.C.
07-24-2017, 10:52 AM
... I'll miss the Bob Cole impressions especially...
"Oooh baby!"
Lol!
A little out of date now I suppose, but he did a bunch of impressions that almost always made me laugh -- Bob O'Billovich, Pinball, Foster Hewitt, Dick Smyth, Robin Leach, David Lee Roth ...

Edit: Not that you had to be Kreskin to have guessed correctly, but it is indeed his own website, RawMikeRichards.com .Paul Masotti mentioned O'Billovich, giving Richards a chance to do the voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhrDgZjNObc

R.J
10-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Admittedly I've been listening to 590 a lot more than I used to. 1050 is never on my dial, and 1150 only has two programming slots.

R.J
02-27-2019, 12:12 PM
For anyone interested, Mike Richards and Dave Bastl are back on the radio airwaves with "The Raw Mike Richards Show" on Sauga 960 from 6-9 am on weekdays.

R.J
03-14-2019, 12:56 AM
More changes coming:
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/tsn-1040s-dave-pratt-out-as-bell-media-makes-cross-canada-cuts

And in Toronto, changes are also coming, including the dismissal of Gareth Wheeler.

Will
03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
I will not miss Wheeler as he wasn't exactly a friend of the CFL.

The more concerning news is that Marshall Ferguson will only be heard for 1 hour/day on 1150 in Hamilton. Though a Hamilton station and the home of the Ticats, you can always rely on Ferguson for great coverage of all 9 CFL teams.

R.J
03-15-2019, 11:19 AM
I will not miss Wheeler as he wasn't exactly a friend of the CFL.

The more concerning news is that Marshall Ferguson will only be heard for 1 hour/day on 1150 in Hamilton. Though a Hamilton station and the home of the Ticats, you can always rely on Ferguson for great coverage of all 9 CFL teams.
Why even have the station anymore ? Looks as though 1150 will now just simulcast 1050 programming, along with the Ticats and Bulldogs games.

paulwoods13
03-15-2019, 12:09 PM
1150 is now down to 4.5 hours of local programming per day, apart from Ticats and Bulldogs game coverage. Everything else is from Toronto or the U.S. Which takes them back to about where they were when the station first became all-sports. It's a real shame, as 1150 was worth listening to in morning and afternoon drive most of the time, albeit three of the four hosts were relatively inexperienced, which led to some pretty inconsistent quality of programming. I have to assume Bell is slowly concluding that sports talk radio is not (and never will be) a ratings winner.

ArgoZ
03-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Sad about 1150. They were a great source of local sports and even Argonauts talk. I don't understand why Hamilton can't maintain a stronger presence on radio. Especially with the addition of two more pro teams this year (soccer and basketball), it's important to inform and develop a following for these teams. It was refreshing to listen to a station that doesn't talk Leafs all day or Jays all summer. No corperate agendas, just guys geeking out on sports, it was great.

R.J
03-15-2019, 10:32 PM
Weekdays:

12:00 AM FOX Sports Radio
6:00 AM First Up with Landsberg & Colaiacovo
8:00 AM Marsh in the Morning with Marshall Ferguson (Local programming)
9:00 AM The Dan Patrick Show
12:00 PM Best of Marsh in the Morning (repeat of local programming)
1:00 PM Leafs Lunch
3:00 PM Sports Today with Kyle Melo (Local Programming)
4:00 PM OverDrive
6:30 PM Hamilton Bulldogs, or Hamilton Tiger Cats, or Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, or Toronto FC, or once a week "Hamilton Hoops".
10:00 PM FOX Sports Radio

Weekends:
12:00 AM FOX Sports Radio
7:00 AM SoccerFootieFootball (Local programming)
8:00 AM Golf Talk Canada
9:30 AM FOX Sports Radio
10:00 AM The Sport Market
11:00 AM FOX Sports Radio
12:00 PM Talkin' Mac - Hosted by Ken Welch (Local Programming)
12:30 PM FOX Sports Radio
6:30 PM Toronto Maple Leafs or the other teams mentioned above.
10:30 PM FOX Sports Radio

AngeloV
03-28-2019, 10:34 AM
I guess First up (and overdrive) didn't go over too well with the 1150 listeners. Good to see Marsh and Melo back where they belong along with a repeat from 3-6

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 👋<br><br>🎉PUMPED to announce that on Monday... WE ARE BACK to being <a href="https://twitter.com/MarshAndMelo?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MarshAndMelo</a> 6-9am on <a href="https://twitter.com/TSN1150?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TSN1150</a>. 🎉 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HamOnt?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HamOnt</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ticats?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ticats</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/hKNk0U0Ic4">pic.twitter.com/hKNk0U0Ic4</a></p>&mdash; Marsh and Melo (@MarshAndMelo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarshAndMelo/status/1111261762966306816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Neely2005
03-28-2019, 02:04 PM
I guess First up (and overdrive) didn't go over too well with the 1150 listeners. Good to see Marsh and Melo back where they belong along with a repeat from 3-6

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 👋<br><br>🎉PUMPED to announce that on Monday... WE ARE BACK to being <a href="https://twitter.com/MarshAndMelo?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MarshAndMelo</a> 6-9am on <a href="https://twitter.com/TSN1150?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TSN1150</a>. 🎉 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HamOnt?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HamOnt</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ticats?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ticats</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/hKNk0U0Ic4">pic.twitter.com/hKNk0U0Ic4</a></p>&mdash; Marsh and Melo (@MarshAndMelo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarshAndMelo/status/1111261762966306816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's definitely great news!

paulwoods13
03-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Jeez, that is a crazy turnaround. How could they determine the new approach was a failure in the barely two weeks since this began?

Nonetheless, good news. Both Marsh and Melo are young, inexperienced and not very polished broadcasters, and Melo in particular can be grating at times, but it will still be good to have guys who care about the CFL back on the air in this market.

AngeloV
03-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Jeez, that is a crazy turnaround. How could they determine the new approach was a failure in the barely two weeks since this began?

Nonetheless, good news. Both Marsh and Melo are young, inexperienced and not very polished broadcasters, and Melo in particular can be grating at times, but it will still be good to have guys who care about the CFL back on the air in this market.

I thought the change was strange from the beginning as both guys were still on air for an hour each but separate times, so it's not like they were actually laid off. The only thing I can think of was perhaps backlash from the listeners who just don't want the exact same show they can catch just a little down the dial.

Neely2005
03-28-2019, 09:35 PM

Still not as grating as Greg Brady.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8