PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel signs new deal.

R.J
02-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Gabriel signs new deal.
http://3downnation.com/2016/02/05/breaking-canadian-db-jermaine-gabriel-signs-extension-with-argos/

Will
02-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Thought this one deserved it's own thread. He is our starting safety after all.

R.J
02-05-2016, 04:10 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> deal with Gabriel makes <a href="https://twitter.com/JGab9">@JGab9</a> the highest-paid safety in the league <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti">@TSNScianitti</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/695712115903094785">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

paulwoods13
02-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Hallelujah! First of many returnees, I hope. Get 'em done, JB.

gilthethrill
02-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Hallelujah! First of many returnees, I hope. Get 'em done, JB.

Speaking of Hallelujah, Winnipeg is said to be moving on from him...that could be interesting for JB.

AngeloV
02-05-2016, 04:46 PM
I think this is going to be a busy weekend of re-signings throughout the league.

R.J
02-05-2016, 04:48 PM
I think this is going to be a busy weekend of re-signings throughout the league.
I'm hoping we have our own free agent frenzy on the 9th; with so many free agents this is the perfect time for TSN to pull it off IMO.

OV Argo
02-05-2016, 04:49 PM
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 500px; height: 181.766px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="695712115903094785" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What is with all this totally unverified CFL salary "reporting" that goes on out there? Either post all the verified numbers of all player (or even just safeties in this case) salaries, or STFU; sounds like a bunch of old church-going women gossiping.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

paulwoods13
02-05-2016, 04:55 PM
What is with all this totally unverified CFL salary "reporting" that goes on out there? Either post all the verified numbers of all player (or even just safeties in this case) salaries, or STFU; sounds like a bunch of old church-going women gossiping.

OK, so let's have no mention of salaries ever again. Because if we need verification for people to report, there will never be any reporting. I'd love to see salaries published and verified, but the only times it has ever been done that I can recall are a handful of "marquee players" like Ismail and Flutie where the org was trying to make a statement by bragging about how much they were spending.

R.J
02-05-2016, 05:38 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We got some unfinished business...2016 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a></p>&mdash; Jermaine Gabriel (@JGab9) <a href="https://twitter.com/JGab9/status/695708846048866306">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You darn right we do!

Wobbler
02-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Any guesses as to what the highest paid safety in the league will earn? I've always assumed that safeties weren't particularly big earners. Maybe $100K base with modest incentives?

Stevoman
02-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Stoked for this. Incredibly important signing.

doubleblue
02-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Gabriel signs new deal.
http://3downnation.com/2016/02/05/breaking-canadian-db-jermaine-gabriel-signs-extension-with-argos/

Sounds good. With Greenwood soon to follow we hope. So what does everyone think now about the ratio. S Gabriel, LB Greenwood/Miles, DL Foley/Waud for three spots on defense. G Holmes, C Keeping, G Smith/OT Van Zeyl on the OLine, three spots. SB Durie/Coombes and FB Dupuis/WR.?
Total of 8 starting Canadian positions. To me Wide Receiver would be a position Barker should try and up grade by the free agent route. Chambers ?

OV Argo
02-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Sounds good. With Greenwood soon to follow we hope. So what does everyone think now about the ratio. S Gabriel, LB Greenwood/Miles, DL Foley/Waud for three spots on defense. G Holmes, C Keeping, G Smith/OT Van Zeyl on the OLine, three spots. SB Durie/Coombes and FB Dupuis/WR.?
Total of 8 starting Canadian positions. To me Wide Receiver would be a position Barker should try and up grade by the free agent route. Chambers ?

Foley & Waud play different positions - unless you are suggesting they sub in & out at the same time?; Foley at DE; Waud & (maybe Laing but if he's gone - sign one of the NI FAs or draft a DT from a good crop this year) at DT; Greenwood or Miles at OLB and Gabriel at safety = 4 NIs on D as per last season.

3 interior O-linemen + Durie / Coombs = 4 on offence ; ( H-back with Dupuis or Gillanders is a very part-time position - not counting it as a starter)

Which means 8 NIs "starting" in total and I think the Argos last year were the only CFL team to start 8 NIs (for the most part) on the whole season ? (the Als did when they signed Muamba at MLB late in the year). I could see them going back to 7 if Laing leaves and they don't have enough confidence in Waud or are unable to get another NI DT, and thus go with 2 imports at DT. I believe it will again be 4 import receivers (pencilled in) in the 5 pack - between the big 3, Owens, Spencer, big guy who played some late last year (name escapes me now) and a newcomer like Gallon ? - where would Chambers fit in if they signed him ? - sitting on the bench beside Adjei ?

OV Argo
02-05-2016, 07:46 PM
OK, so let's have no mention of salaries ever again. Because if we need verification for people to report, there will never be any reporting. I'd love to see salaries published and verified, but the only times it has ever been done that I can recall are a handful of "marquee players" like Ismail and Flutie where the org was trying to make a statement by bragging about how much they were spending.

OK Paul - I'm going to start "reporting" whatever I feel like on the various FA signings - just chuck out numbers based on what my know-it-all sense of football player worth tells me is right. And let all CFL GMs heed my ratings and warnings about over-$pending in the ultra rich CFL. The pompous $hit that goes on about salaries in some CFL commentary circles is always good for a laugh.

jerrym
02-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Great to see him back.

doubleblue
02-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Foley & Waud play different positions - unless you are suggesting they sub in & out at the same time?; Foley at DE; Waud & (maybe Laing but if he's gone - sign one of the NI FAs or draft a DT from a good crop this year) at DT; Greenwood or Miles at OLB and Gabriel at safety = 4 NIs on D as per last season.

3 interior O-linemen + Durie / Coombs = 4 on offence ; ( H-back with Dupuis or Gillanders is a very part-time position - not counting it as a starter)

Which means 8 NIs "starting" in total and I think the Argos last year were the only CFL team to start 8 NIs (for the most part) on the whole season ? (the Als did when they signed Muamba at MLB late in the year). I could see them going back to 7 if Laing leaves and they don't have enough confidence in Waud or are unable to get another NI DT, and thus go with 2 imports at DT. I believe it will again be 4 import receivers (pencilled in) in the 5 pack - between the big 3, Owens, Spencer, big guy who played some late last year (name escapes me now) and a newcomer like Gallon ? - where would Chambers fit in if they signed him ? - sitting on the bench beside Adjei ?

I know Foley and Waud play different positions but counting them as one against the ratio while they rotate in and out. They could also be on the field at the same time as they are good enough, but three imports will also be available there as well. The same at LB. Greenwood and Miles could both see a lot of playing time but for the record just one Canadian spot. Gabriel at safety with Black available to back him up and also CB. Dupuis in at TE or FB on running downs and Chambers(?) replacing him on passing downs. Coombes could be used there as well, as he needs to get more playing time. Gives Milanovich lots of flexability IMO. I also don't discount having to use three imports on the OLine if needed. Keeping, Smith and Van Zeyl have a fair bit of mileage on them and they can't count on them holding up over 18 games. IMO the Argos have enough talent at other positions that would allow them to dress three Imports on the OLine. Keeping Ricky Ray up right and healthy is job one in my books.

OV Argo
02-05-2016, 10:14 PM
I know Foley and Waud play different positions but counting them as one against the ratio while they rotate in and out. They could also be on the field at the same time as they are good enough, but three imports will also be available there as well. The same at LB. Greenwood and Miles could both see a lot of playing time but for the record just one Canadian spot. Gabriel at safety with Black available to back him up and also CB. Dupuis in at TE or FB on running downs and Chambers(?) replacing him on passing downs. Coombes could be used there as well, as he needs to get more playing time. Gives Milanovich lots of flexability IMO. I also don't discount having to use three imports on the OLine if needed. Keeping, Smith and Van Zeyl have a fair bit of mileage on them and they can't count on them holding up over 18 games. IMO the Argos have enough talent at other positions that would allow them to dress three Imports on the OLine. Keeping Ricky Ray up right and healthy is job one in my books.

Yes, but - I don't see any way that Foley & Waud (or whatever other NI DT - Laing/whoever) are going to sub in and out for each other all the time; their could easily be a "starter" spot for a NI at both DT & DE as was the case most of last year = would make for 2 "ratio spots"; Greenwood backed by Miles is one NI spot at LB (however - if Jones is lost to FA, then Miles could get a shot as the starting MLB); Gabriel at safety is a given; Matt Black could also finally get a real shot to start at corner. They could also sign one of the number of the free agent NI DTs or draft one from a good crop - and then go with 2 starting NI DTs = lots of possibilities on defence alone.

argolio
02-06-2016, 01:39 AM
OK Paul - I'm going to start "reporting" whatever I feel like on the various FA signings - just chuck out numbers based on what my know-it-all sense of football player worth tells me is right. And let all CFL GMs heed my ratings and warnings about over-$pending in the ultra rich CFL. The pompous $hit that goes on about salaries in some CFL commentary circles is always good for a laugh.I look forward to your future reports.

paulwoods13
02-06-2016, 09:07 AM
I look forward to your future reports.

Which won't be pompous at all.

OV Argo
02-06-2016, 10:00 AM
I look forward to your future reports.

I'm hearing from a "reliable source" that Gabriel got $163.59K- which seems like a reasonable value for a starting NI who is coming into his own as a top notch CFL safety.

OTOH - Wayne Smith getting $150.34K per is over-paying for an aging O-lineman; but then again, NI Ol-linemen are often able to extort helpless CFL GMs for huge wads of ca$h due to the economic laws of supply & demand and them being so high in demand from a very limited talent supply pool.

So - Barker is maybe 1 & 1 on those deal$, but more $hrewd bargaining could help to sign Trevor Harris - I'm hearing his agent is asking for 350K per season with a bonus clause based on starts.

I'll get back to you after consulting further with my sources and the fine people at H & R Block - ing back

:p

doubleblue
02-06-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm hearing from a "reliable source" that Gabriel got $163.59K- which seems like a reasonable value for a starting NI who is coming into his own as a top notch CFL safety.

OTOH - Wayne Smith getting $150.34K per is over-paying for an aging O-lineman; but then again, NI Ol-linemen are often able to extort helpless CFL GMs for huge wads of ca$h due to the economic laws of supply & demand and them being so high in demand from a very limited talent supply pool.

So - Barker is maybe 1 & 1 on those deal$, but more $hrewd bargaining could help to sign Trevor Harris - I'm hearing his agent is asking for 350K per season with a bonus clause based on starts.

I'll get back to you after consulting further with my sources and the fine people at H & R Block - ing back

I always get worried about people when they start hearing voices. ;)

KCargosfan
02-06-2016, 06:29 PM

If you were a reporter, that is actually how journalism works, sans your opinion.

1argoholic
02-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Obviously Argonaut news has been in very short supply when people are jumping on any news in a huge way.

I'm excited about this very important signing. One of Barkers best finds.

R.J
02-07-2016, 01:43 PM
http://3downnation.com/2016/02/07/15291/

Canadian safety, Jermaine Gabriel of the Toronto Argonauts, which pays him an average of $175,000 a season.

Wobbler
02-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Wow. That's a ton of money.

OV Argo
02-07-2016, 02:53 PM
http://3downnation.com/2016/02/07/15291/

If it's coming from Justin Dunk, then that number has to be bang-on, 100% correct and I'm sure he could provide the documentation; Dunk is such an authority on anything CFL.

Neely2005
02-07-2016, 03:13 PM

Wouldn't it make sense to offer Harris the same bonus based contact as Ray?

AngeloV
02-07-2016, 03:33 PM
If it's coming from Justin Dunk, then that number has to be bang-on, 100% correct and I'm sure he could provide the documentation; Dunk is such an authority on anything CFL.

So now you're even turning on CIS guys? Do you just have a hate on for everything?

Just so it's clear, you were responding with a serious question, to a beyond sarcastic post.

R.J
02-07-2016, 04:03 PM
While there's no way to verify the amounts; I have no idea why you take such issue with the media dishing out some numbers. Sure the $$$ may not be 100% accurate, but at the very least it gives us a base or estimate to go on, and I don't know about you, but it's a good thing for us cfl fans; as we enjoy discussing the numbers.

Harris wouldn't get the same amount as Ray.

OV Argo
02-07-2016, 05:38 PM
So now you're even turning on CIS guys? Do you just have a hate on for everything?

Just so it's clear, you were responding with a serious question, to a beyond sarcastic post.

"CIS guys" ??? - Dunk may have played there and that's swell and all, but that doesn't mean I have to like him as a reporter; I guess he is at least a keen CFL "insider" but most of the stuff he writes comes across as standard CFL cliche-fest stuff ("ratio breaker") or just info he's been fed by league or team shills that he dutifully spits out. Rather see a reporter provide either just hard facts, or, have an individual opinion based on his own observations of the game or league. There are few of those who put out the latter in the football reporting set up here IMO. BUT - there are these type forums to get some individual, unique perspectives and opinions: honestly AV - I'd much rather hear from you or Ravi or doubleblue or 57 or Rich or the 2 Gill-the-thrills or a good number of other regular posters here on things Argo or CFL and have much more respect for those reports than the pablum stuff I mostly hear from Dunk.

As far as player salaries - I get there is an $m$ and it's important for GMs to deal with; I just find the sermonizing or whining about totally unverified CFL salary "figures" by SOME to be a bit much. Wether player x or y deserves 20 or 30 K more than he is getting or some other player might be getting .... OK whatever - but it's hardly like hundreds of thousands to millions of buck$ salaries and discrepancies there that are parts of other pro leagues. Amusing stuff at times though, so have at er'.

:ohno::p:biteme:

AngeloV
02-08-2016, 10:25 AM
" honestly AV - I'd much rather hear from you or Ravi or doubleblue or 57 or Rich or the 2 Gill-the-thrills or a good number of other regular posters here on things Argo or CFL and have much more respect for those reports than the pablum stuff I mostly hear from Dunk.

That's fair. I was just wondering. I too often get annoyed with certain writers...especially Frank Z and his cliché filled columns with no substance. I mean how many more times do I have to read in a Frank Z column (paraphrasing here): such is life in the 3 down game. What does that mean?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8