PDA

View Full Version : Ticats release DE Stevie Baggs, add 3 import DE's.

R.J
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-add-d-linemen-release-baggs
Can't say I'm surprised by this move at all, Baggs was great 2 season ago, last season you could barely notice him.

ArgoGabe22
03-15-2012, 05:39 PM
This could solve our D-Line woes and would definitely be an upgrade over Buzbee. I suspect SSK to be interested as well.

zontar
03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Count me as the least surprised fan in TiCat land.

Could still be useful to somebody. Will have to come down in price though...

ArgoRavi
03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
This could solve our D-Line woes and would definitely be an upgrade over Buzbee. I suspect SSK to be interested as well.

I very much doubt that Baggs will end up in Saskatchewan as their new head coach was the defensive coordinator in Hamilton last year who did not allow Baggs to play his game. I remember Angelo Mosca complaining on TSN during one game about the Ticats dropping Baggs into coverage instead of allowing him to rush the QB which is what he does best.

I am not sure if Baggs would fit what the Argos are planning on doing on defence but signing him would be tempting if you think that he would have a huge bee in his bonnet when facing the Ticats.

Area 51
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I remember Angelo Mosca complaining on TSN during one game about the Ticats dropping Baggs into coverage instead of allowing him to rush the QB which is what he does best.

Same plan as the brilliant Argo DC's from last year dropping Ricky Foley into coverage. How difficult is it to figure out that you let your best pass rushers get after the QB?

Baggs would be a huge upgrade over Flemons. The only surprise here is that it took Hamilton so long to release him. The writing was on the wall after the playoff game in Montreal when they left Baggs off the roster.

gilthethrill
03-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Yet another player on the list of high priced FA signings by Hamilton that did not pan out.

ArgoRavi
03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Yet another player on the list of high priced FA signings by Hamilton that did not pan out.

How true. Printers, Keith, Cobourne and Baggs are the four who immediately come to mind.

gilthethrill
03-17-2012, 05:11 PM
How true. Printers, Keith, Cobourne and Baggs are the four who immediately come to mind.

Sandro DeAngeles...

ArgoGabe22
03-17-2012, 05:34 PM
^ Jason Mass. Can't remember if these guys are FAs but Troy Davis, Tony Miles, Corey Holmes, Josh Ranek.

gilthethrill
03-18-2012, 07:42 AM
^ Jason Mass. Can't remember if these guys are FAs but Troy Davis, Tony Miles, Corey Holmes, Josh Ranek.

Jason Maas was actually acquired in a trade. I don't agree with Troy Davis. He was signed as a CFL rookie FA & had monster years in Hamilton. I was thinking Terry Vaughn could be on that list though.

zontar
03-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Printers is the only real bust of the list.
Keith - career ending injury in camp.
Cobourne - did very well here, age and salary were the issue.
Baggs - Play, attitude and salary.

Maas, Holmes were via trade. Vaughn had to play with a QB, Maas, who couldnt throw an accurate pass beyond 15 yards, never fully recoverd from shoulder surgery.
In retrospect the trade was a huge gamble on HAM's part but injury story was never fully explored by EDM or HAM media and fans were led to believe Maas was a great trade.

ArgoGabe22
03-18-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't agree with Troy Davis. He was signed as a CFL rookie FA & had monster years in Hamilton.

You're right it was in Edmonton where he slowed down in production. I got his years mixed up. I thought he signed with EDM and then played one season in HAM.

gilthethrill
03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
You're right it was in Edmonton where he slowed down in production. I got his years mixed up. I thought he signed with EDM and then played one season in HAM.

If my memory serves, Davis actually finished his career in the Double Blue. He was with the team briefly at the end of the 2006 campaign I believe.

I had actually forget that he was in Edmonton. Was that part of the Maas transaction?

Will
03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
If my memory serves, Davis actually finished his career in the Double Blue. He was with the team briefly at the end of the 2006 campaign I believe.

I had actually forget that he was in Edmonton. Was that part of the Maas transaction?

I think he was here in 2007. I don't remember the circumstances, but the Argos had brought in Robert Edwards as well to try to solidify the running game.

Maas was not dealt for Davis, although there have been numerous conspiracy theories about Troy Davis going to Edmonton towards the end of 2005 and Jason Maas going to Hamilton before the 2006 season.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8