PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else frustrated with the pro sports player turnover these days.

1argoholic
02-09-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm personally sick of player turnover in pro sports with guys chasing the all mighty dollar and the team name, history and colours mean squat these days. Everyone has some bs lines they drop after being trading or signing with a new team. This is why Edmonton and it's record setting Eskimos will never have their five straight Grey Cup Championship record broken. Gone are the Montreal Canadian and NY Islander four straight cup run teams. Growing up seeing teams like that was incredible and everyone wanted to beat the champs. They had players who were there for the long haul and became house hold names. Now some NHLers play for too many teams to keep track of.
Not sure I'd buy a player jersey again. Too many one or two year and out deals. Sports has changed and not for the better in my eyes.
The CFL free agent crap just bugs the hell out of me. So few teams that you bound to lose favorite players to HATED rivals. Rant Done!!!

Ron
02-10-2016, 01:17 AM
I'm fine with it. This is a symptom of having a salary cap and the salary cap ensures the teams will survive in the long run. I'd much rather have player movement and a stable league than no cap and wondering if teams will spend themselves into folding to keep their stars.

paulwoods13
02-10-2016, 06:08 AM
Get used to it. The overwhelming majority of deals from now on will be for one year. Teams will lock up key NATs and QBs to multi-year deals, but most other guys will accept one-year deals in the hopes of a big score the following season.

Will
02-10-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm fine with it. This is a symptom of having a salary cap and the salary cap ensures the teams will survive in the long run. I'd much rather have player movement and a stable league than no cap and wondering if teams will spend themselves into folding to keep their stars.

What he said.

Mightygoose
02-10-2016, 12:13 PM
It's the new normal. But yes it does make which name on the jersey a tough decision. I might just have to have the next one blank

Will
02-10-2016, 12:15 PM
It's the new normal. But yes it does make which name on the jersey a tough decision. I might just have to have the next one blank

I purchased a Cory Boyd jersey in the fall of 2010 and then he gets released less than 2 years later. To date, I have not purchased another jersey with a current player on it. I instead purchased a Condredge Holloway jersey from the throwbacks that the team wore in 2013 and that autographed Rodney Harding jersey from the Hall of Fame sale.

Kenners
02-19-2016, 03:24 PM

I was worried about getting a named jersey for this damn reason!

Jersey wearing rules: ​http://www.themoviemind.com/2011/10/20/the-real-jersey-rules/

but according to Rule #3, section A. I get to keep my Owens jersey so i'm wearing it!!

It's almost like buying the a new EA sports game...smh.

PullTogether73
02-19-2016, 11:53 PM
I either laugh or shake my head at anyone who wears a player jersey.
It is the stupidest thing to do in this era of player movement.
Are you a fan of the team or the player?
If it is the team, get a customized jersey with a nickname of yours or your own name if you wish.
If you are a fan of the player, be prepared to buy another team's jersey when that player gets moved.
Who is wearing a Chad Owens Tiger-cats jersey this year?

I can't wait to see how many David Price Blue Jays jerseys are walking around the city streets this year.:ohno:

ArgoGabe22
02-20-2016, 09:57 AM
If it is the team, get a customized jersey with a nickname of yours or your own name if you wish.
If you are a fan of the player, be prepared to buy another team's jersey when that player gets moved.

I can't wait to see how many David Price Blue Jays jerseys are walking around the city streets this year.:ohno:

I disagree. If you like a player and they have been around for awhile regardless if they change teams, then it's still fine to have their jersey. Chad Owens had a pretty good stint with the Argos and IMO his jersey won't get old. How many people still wear Holloway jerseys? It's a timeless classic.

AngeloV
02-20-2016, 10:44 AM

I think calling someone stupid for doing so is...well..pretty stupid. Why can't someone be a big fan of a certain player as well as the team he cheers for?

1argoholic
02-20-2016, 05:05 PM
At this point you cheer for colour not player. Unless you have the coin to piss away yearly.

PullTogether73
02-20-2016, 06:23 PM
At this point you cheer for colour not player. Unless you have the coin to piss away yearly.

Exactly.:cool:

Ron
02-20-2016, 08:54 PM

You can laugh at my Avery and R. Williams jersey's ... but I laughed at how cheap I got them. They are still Argo jersey's.

Will
02-20-2016, 09:56 PM
I tend to follow the rule of not putting the name of a player I am older then. At age 29, I still enjoy that luxury, except I just realized typing this post that I bought a Teddy Bridgewater jersey in December and thus broke this rule so oh well.

As for players who leave my favorite team--it all depends on the circumstances. I had an Arland Bruce III jersey and I think I've worn it on several occasions since he left in 2009, although certainly not since some of the controversial actions he took leaving the league. I still wear the Cory Boyd jersey on a semi-regular basis.

LLB997
02-21-2016, 02:12 AM
bought a boyd jersey for 1/2 price after he was traded. had my aterations guy cover his name with blue fabric. now its a generic number 3 jersey. perfect

1argoholic
02-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Well all the jersey's are part of the long history of the team. So unless the guy became a total ass or criminal then why not wear the jersey. I bought a Randy Moss jersey for real cheap off the Vikings site after he was gone.

TOBenfica
02-21-2016, 01:37 PM
I only buy jerseys with classic players or a player that has done something great for the organization.. Ex Pinball. As soon as Owens retires I will get his name on an Argos jersey.

R.J
02-21-2016, 02:15 PM
So long as the player at one point played on the team; I see zero issue with buying player jerseys. Personally, I'm not a fan of nicknames or non player last names going on jerseys.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8