PDA

View Full Version : The new CFL sites STINK! The Argo site is useless.

1argoholic
02-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Right off the bat they have the first guy listed a 5'1" 204 lb rb. The guy would be a huge bowling ball.

Will
02-11-2016, 12:49 PM
When it was launched they said that they'd have to iron out some of the kinks. I kinda hoped they'd accomplished that by the time free agency started.

Wobbler
02-11-2016, 12:50 PM
There have always been errors on the site, and it is a work in progress now more than ever. To quote an e-mail I received yesterday after asking when the depth charts would return:

"Hey Craig

The site is still in the early stages of a soft launch, but we’re hoping to add this feature as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Gareth"

Will
02-11-2016, 12:51 PM
You'd think that as part of the relaunch of the Argos in this market that they'd want a professional (completed) website up and running as soon as possible.

R.J
02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
IIRC there was an article awhile ago stating that all League stats should be completely up and running by this Month. Honestly maybe the League and teams should have waited for completed websites before launching them.

1argoholic
02-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Perhaps Jeffery Porrige has bitten off more then he can chew.

doubleblue
02-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Jeffery Porrige has bitten off more then he can chew.

Fixed it for you. lol

Rocket
02-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Perhaps Jeffery Porrige has bitten off more then he can chew.

No question in my books this bum has been the most useless commissioner the CFL has ever had. It's one thing to not have any clue about CFL and any idea for its future but this just takes another turn for the worst when he supposed to be the so called expert on media/t.v. Tsn just came off the worst year in my books in over a decade covering CFL football and now he can't even do anything right from its official web site. I just wish this guy takes his stupid hustler shirts and his stupid CFL logo ideas and his stupid CFL web site and gets away from this league ASAP!

Ron
02-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Right off the bat they have the first guy listed a 5'1" 204 lb rb. The guy would be a huge bowling ball.

Ya, but when the opposition expects some 5-1 midget and get a 6-1 tank ... they'll crap their pants.

argolio
02-11-2016, 04:00 PM
No question in my books this bum has been the most useless commissioner the CFL has ever had. It's one thing to not have any clue about CFL and any idea for its future but this just takes another turn for the worst when he supposed to be the so called expert on media/t.v. Tsn just came off the worst year in my books in over a decade covering CFL football and now he can't even do anything right from its official web site. I just wish this guy takes his stupid hustler shirts and his stupid CFL logo ideas and his stupid CFL web site and gets away from this league ASAP!Other than about four hundred other times, I don't think I've seen a post like this from you.

1argoholic
02-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Ron that made me howl. haha.

Keep up the great posts Rocket as I love them. Gotta speak your mind and tell it like you see it. Go look at the merch the CFL put out. It's a real winner, thanks Porridge!

Jon Gonzo
02-12-2016, 11:46 PM
no excuse in this day and age

1argoholic
02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Especially when they are lost in the sports market right now. This doesn't help.
I'm so sick of NBA crap already. You'd think this was game 7 of the NBA finals with the Raptors playing at home. It's an all star game. Yes it happens to be cold in TO for the first day or two all winter. Yes TO is nice and Americans like it. Holy Crap it makes me puke already. I don't care about Jordan shoes!!! This NBA culture is over the top CRAP!!!

Qman
02-13-2016, 11:29 AM
is orridge even going to make it to june?
he has been brutal so far

Gill The Thrill
02-13-2016, 01:53 PM
From what I've seen from this commissioners regime, I have no interest in checking out the websites because I don't think I'll see anything new...the new design looks boring, and I can't stand the streamlined look...you see one team's website, you've seen them all...probably really crappy. Really feel sorry for Roughrider fans who had one of the more colorful sites in all of sports. If that one has become streamlined, I'm sure it can't be nowhere as good.

Jon Gonzo
02-13-2016, 05:01 PM
If I hear another cookie cut CEO power-babble on about "branding" and "synergy" I think I shall punch myself in the paradigm. Maybe we can begin to leave some space for 'character and individuality.' Scary stuff for the IT/Social Media PR cyborgs who are bound and determined to turn the rest of the World into a vapid, McDonald's wasteland

ArgoRavi
02-13-2016, 06:05 PM
If I hear another cookie cut CEO power-babble on about "branding" and "synergy" I think I shall punch myself in the paradigm. Maybe we can begin to leave some space for 'character and individuality.' Scary stuff for the IT/Social Media PR cyborgs who are bound and determined to turn the rest of the World into a vapid, McDonald's wasteland

I hate corporate-speak as much as anyone but, unfortunately, we won't find a commissioner who won't use it.

Gill The Thrill
02-13-2016, 07:29 PM
I hate corporate-speak as much as anyone but, unfortunately, we won't find a commissioner who won't use it.

Mike Lysko, but the BOG's had to listen to that responsible owner who always paid his bills in Sherwood Schwartz for a reason to oust him.

I beleive he runs the Athletics dept at the University of Western Ontario, so he hasn't done badly since that BOG's decision. It must have been a notch on his belt to get fired by the CFL BOG's, particularly under the recommendation of Schwartz' who ran a CFL team as badly as the Gleiberman's and Horn Chen, while leaving a plethora of unpaid bills upon his departure.

KCargosfan
02-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Ya, but when the opposition expects some 5-1 midget and get a 6-1 tank ... they'll crap their pants.

haha.

KCargosfan
02-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Hasn't Orridge extended the league's corporate sponsorship base by a good margin?

ArgoZ
02-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Especially when they are lost in the sports market right now. This doesn't help.
I'm so sick of NBA crap already. You'd think this was game 7 of the NBA finals with the Raptors playing at home. It's an all star game. Yes it happens to be cold in TO for the first day or two all winter. Yes TO is nice and Americans like it. Holy Crap it makes me puke already. I don't care about Jordan shoes!!! This NBA culture is over the top CRAP!!!

So are you jealous or impressed with how successful their marketing is? If it was the CFL always in your face, you would love it. Your no different than a listener who calls TSN radio to complain how sick they are of the CFL talk.

Basketball shoes that are made for $10 and sold for $200 are a merchandise dream. Hockey sticks are a similar ploy, but they do not even come close in sales. What does football promote/sell? Maybe a few balls.

R.J
02-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Hasn't Orridge extended the league's corporate sponsorship base by a good margin?
Yup. Re-upped with CP Rail and another big sponsor (who's name escapes me). Brought in new sponsors such as Microsoft, RedTag.ca, BF Goodrich, Kal Tire, Casa Di Mama, Canadian Beef and Oddsshark.

Neely2005
02-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Yup. Re-upped with CP Rail and another big sponsor (who's name escapes me). Brought in new sponsors such as Microsoft, RedTag.ca, BF Goodrich, Kal Tire, Casa Di Mama, Canadian Beef and Oddsshark.

Shaw?

ArgoRavi
02-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Shaw?

Yep, that was another deal that Orridge made but, according to at least one person on here, he does nothing.

One of the results of that Shaw deal has been increased CFL coverage on Global TV. During Super Bowl week, they even did a story on their national newscast about how African-American QBs who came to Canada paved the way for Cam Newton. They interviewed Bernie Custis and Chuck Ealey for that piece.

R.J
02-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Shaw?
Nope; it was Kubota. Shaw is a brand new deal (so it wasn't a renewal). It should also be noted that the Shaw deal came pretty quickly after Orridge was brought in; so, I'm not sure how much influence the Commish had on that deal. I forgot to add AGF to the list of new sponsors. Also, CP didn't just renew; they upped up their annual fee. Tim Hortons, Purolator and Nissan renewed their deals as well.

Gill The Thrill
02-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Nope; it was Kubota. Shaw is a brand new deal (so it wasn't a renewal). It should also be noted that the Shaw deal came pretty quickly after Orridge was brought in; so, I'm not sure how much influence the Commish had on that deal. I forgot to add AGF to the list of new sponsors. Also, CP didn't just renew; they upped up their annual fee. Tim Hortons, Purolator and Nissan renewed their deals as well.

This is good news, but I'll wait for Rocket's approval...lol

1argoholic
02-14-2016, 09:47 PM
The NBA marketing falls right in line with the over hyped bowl that we saw last week.At least that was for a championship game. No I'm not impressed and actually disgusted that this amount of coin is tossed around for an all star game. Plus the tools that are dropping huge coin for ugly shoes is something I can't relate to. This doesn't impress me. I'm not into what the world has become. Marketing crap doesn't impress me. This isn't just about NBA it's about mainstream BS. Few people and companies that own everything and try to push it down suckers throats. A certain demographic just goes gaga for this shite like it some way it's important or a status symbol that you're wearing a former stars shoes, designer label shit and so on. That former star doesn't give a rats ass about anything but making more coin.

I love the CFL but still wouldn't go and buy shoes that a CFL star might have worn. I don't come from that type of culture or mentality. Do I want more people to come to Argo games, yes but I love the down to earth nature of our league. I still want people to wear there favorite team merch but I draw the line at players trying to suck money out of fans for their own benefit. I'm a fan but I don't glam onto anyone. Not against marketing as it's needed to grow a league but I get sick of excessive BS.
Hey we have to GM vehicles in our garage but do I believe that BS that GM slings in their commercials, NO! My truck might be a 2500 HD but it breaks down the same as them all.

I could rant on but I don't want to waste anymore time. I just don't pussy foot around, I tell it like I SEE IT! Agree or not but it's how I see shit.

KCargosfan
02-15-2016, 01:14 AM

Kind of what I was thinking. All this hate for a guy who is bringing in tons more money to the league makes no sense.

1argoholic
02-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Well Kal Tire is great.

ArgoRavi
02-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Kind of what I was thinking. All this hate for a guy who is bringing in tons more money to the league makes no sense.

And that, primarily, is what Orridge was hired to do.

R.J
02-15-2016, 04:06 PM
And that, primarily, is what Orridge was hired to do.
Yup. I recall reading a couple of columns were it was brought up how the Owners wanted the next Commish to do 4 things.
#1. Bring in more corporate revenue (which became a concern under Cohon IIRC)
#2. Attract the 18-34 and even younger demographics.
#3. Lead the CFL into the digital age.
#4. Expansion.

ArgoRavi
02-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Yup. I recall reading a couple of columns were it was brought up how the Owners wanted the next Commish to do 4 things.
#1. Bring in more corporate revenue (which became a concern under Cohon IIRC)
#2. Attract the 18-34 and even younger demographics.
#3. Lead the CFL into the digital age.
#4. Expansion.

So Orridge is already doing #1 and working on #2 and #3 (he has made some progress on both). #4 remains a longer-term goal IMO.

KCargosfan
02-16-2016, 02:06 AM
So Orridge is already doing #1 and working on #2 and #3 (he has made some progress on both). #4 remains a longer-term goal IMO.

Agreed. A 10th team is probably 5 years away at least. Wish the east coast would get its act together.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8