PDA

View Full Version : Will BMO be a kickers nightmare when it's windy?

1argoholic
02-13-2016, 01:04 PM
CNE Stadium ran east/west and BMO is the opposite so when it's windy and with the new roofs will this create crazy winds? People who know the stadium should be able to answer. Has there been crazy windy days playing tricks with soccer ball?

Just something I thought about and we all know how crazy Regina gets with wind. Could end up being a benefit for the Argos. Obviously they're not going to be playing on crazy windy days too often we would hope.

argolio
02-13-2016, 01:23 PM
The north-south alignment might mitigate some wind issues. No idea what the roofs will do.

After almost three decades in the Dome, no doubt the wind will be a factor again in some home games.

1argoholic
02-13-2016, 01:24 PM
That could be fun. Too bad it's not real grass.

Neely2005
02-13-2016, 03:14 PM

It is real grass.

ArgoRavi
02-13-2016, 03:15 PM

I am pretty sure they will be playing on real grass unless plans have changed. I was just watching some of the '83 East Final last night and the wind was a factor in that one.

R.J
02-13-2016, 03:30 PM
I am pretty sure they will be playing on real grass unless plans have changed. I was just watching some of the '83 East Final last night and the wind was a factor in that one.
Real Grass for the most part.
http://i.imgur.com/I6Gc3bv.png

Tobythor
02-13-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm looking forward to the weather being a factor in games, spice it up a bit.

1argoholic
02-14-2016, 09:54 PM
It's not a 100% real grass field. I meant the good old school sod that would become a sloppy, muddy mess in a downpour. The field going in is a combination of fake with sod grown through for lack of a better explanation.

timlb01
02-14-2016, 09:56 PM
It's not a 100% real grass field. I meant the good old school sod that would become a sloppy, muddy mess in a downpour. The field going in is a combination of fake with sod grown through for lack of a better explanation.

I believe the dropped the hybrid grass solution. I have read they have grown 2 fields and will swap them out as required. You are right a year or so ago they did say it was going to by a hybrid grass field.

Qman
02-14-2016, 10:07 PM

they didn't go hybrid. its 100% real grass. its will be just like monction, with field turf endzones.

They have two backup fields in hamilton growing. Can be planted and only takes 3 days to become ready for play.

I believe this was last grass game at the ex. Look at that sod fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NX8WBkHM3Y

B (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NX8WBkHM3Y)ack on kickers. Isn't just going to be like hamilton, basically a wind tunnel once we get into fall. Effect the punters more than kickers

paulwoods13
02-15-2016, 10:26 AM
I believe this was last grass game at the ex. Look at that sod fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NX8WBkHM3Y

B (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NX8WBkHM3Y)

I can't wait to see muddy uniforms. But I'm pretty sure the Ex did not have artificial turf until 1972. This is what Wikipedia (hardly the be-all and end-all as a source, but useful nonetheless) says:

When the 58th Grey Cup was played at the stadium in 1970, Calgary Stampeders coach Jim Duncan described the condition of the natural-grass surface as "a disgrace."[14] In January 1972, Metropolitan Toronto Council voted 15–9 to spend $625,000 to install artificial turf. The vote passed despite five councillors changing their vote to oppose the motion, because the cost had increased from a previous estimate of $400,000.[15] Two months later, contracts totaling $475,000 were approved to install the turf, with work to be completed by June.

That's consistent with stories I've read suggesting the 1971 Grey Cup (in Vancouver) was the first played on artificial turf.

argonaut11xx
02-15-2016, 10:39 AM
The supposed artificial turf at the Ex, was basically concrete painted green. I bet it had less "turf" than indoor/outdoor carpet.

Neely2005
02-15-2016, 11:13 AM

No it's not. It's 100% real grass. They have 2 back up pitches already growing:

“MLSE has gone all out,” Heggie said of the resources he has been provided, adding his groundskeeper buddies are all jealous.

All out to the tune of $2 million, actually, according to MLSE executive Bob Hunter, who the Sun reached by phone on Thursday.

A point of contention has been the decision to not install a hybrid grass system – a surface that reinforces a natural surface with artificial fibers.
Instead, MLSE has invested $400,000 in a pair of natural grass pitches currently growing in Mount Hope, Ont. They're identical to the pitch."

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/02/05/bmo-fields-grass-guys-feeling-the-pressure

1argoholic
02-15-2016, 11:29 AM
The last I heard was that a hybrid deal like where Manchester United plays. TFC fans were pissed even at that. No wonder why they are pissed with just good old sod. This field will be beat to shit. If they keep having to put down new sod it's be a chewed up friggin mess. This should be interesting to say the least. It's not like they can just have one massive roll. I remember the farce of a field in Pitt after pissing rain. One punt just landed and stuck 4" to 6" into the sod and soil.

The Argos should love this but it'll be interesting for figuring out cleats. I bet some guys haven't played on natural grass in years.

Neely2005
02-15-2016, 12:20 PM
The last I heard was that a hybrid deal like where Manchester United plays. TFC fans were pissed even at that. No wonder why they are pissed with just good old sod. This field will be beat to shit. If they keep having to put down new sod it's be a chewed up friggin mess. This should be interesting to say the least. It's not like they can just have one massive roll. I remember the farce of a field in Pitt after pissing rain. One punt just landed and stuck 4" to 6" into the sod and soil.

The Argos should love this but it'll be interesting for figuring out cleats. I bet some guys haven't played on natural grass in years.

As per the article Linked above it takes 3 days to completely remove the old pitch and fully install the new pitch.

Double Dare
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM
As per the article Linked above it takes 3 days to completely remove the old pitch and fully install the new pitch. ... but it takes a lot longer for sod to "anchor" itself. TFC will love it ... not.

Neely2005
02-15-2016, 02:34 PM
... but it takes a lot longer for sod to "anchor" itself. TFC will love it ... not.

Actually it looks like I misread that, it's not 3 days to change it. It's playable after 3 days:

"After being laid, the new sod is considered playable after three days. Toronto FC won't play before five days following a CFL game, with most games arriving a week after the Argos play.

“It's a matter of scheduling more than anything else,” said Dan Almand, a grass consultant with Millennium Sports Technologies Ltd.

“It's about giving the field enough time to recover between events.”

Qman
02-15-2016, 03:04 PM

i guarantee you scott & Barker will be working this to his advantage. Knowledge of which cleats to wear? types of players to bring in?
like the old eskimos used to do

TOBenfica
02-20-2016, 06:19 PM
I was at a TFC game a few years back in the early part of the season where a cross field pass made a 90 degree turn in the air and go into the back of the net. Yep the wind will be a factor.

1argoholic
02-21-2016, 12:17 PM
The only way a sod field will be ready for play after only three days is if somehow the sod comes in big rectangles with a good amount of soil underneath that it is well rooted. Then they fit the sections together. If it's just rolled out in one inch thick rolls like sod typically is it will not be ready. It may look ok until a CFL game chews the shit out of it. If they have massive rolls that are thick, that may work. When I lay sod I tell people to stay off of it for at least a week to ten days.
Oh well the grounds crew will have there work cut out for them after a pouring rain and in the fall when the grass goes yellow and dormant. Players will love saving their bodies while playing on grass. Grey Cup could be interesting as well if there happens to be an early freeze. The turf could be like ice. I guess grounds keeping has come along way so hopefully they have their stuff together.

Argo57
02-21-2016, 03:28 PM
I was at a TFC game a few years back in the early part of the season where a cross field pass made a 90 degree turn in the air and go into the back of the net. Yep the wind will be a factor.

Shouldnt effect our current passing attack.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8