PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Star Weekend

ArgoRavi
02-13-2016, 03:08 PM
I am just curious to hear from those living in Toronto about their perception of the NBA All-Star Weekend. This is obviously a huge event and receiving great publicity - which it deserves - from the local media. I also don't want to get into the merits of basketball vs. football and, quite frankly, there are things that the CFL can learn from the NBA/Raptors on how to expand their fanbase.

My question is a simple one. The Grey Cup, when held in Toronto or Vancouver, is often criticized for not grabbing the attention of the ENTIRE city. Is the NBA All-Star Weekend grabbing the attention of the ENTIRE city? If you are out and about anywhere in Toronto, do you know that the NBA All-Star Weekend is going on any more than you would know if the Grey Cup were in town?

ArgoGabe22
02-13-2016, 07:20 PM
I can't comment as I haven't been downtown but I do know things just the Nike store streetcar and the pop Jordan store are big hits. There are also many events taking place such as a basketball camps for kids and players helping at the foodbank. These are no doubt are good stories picked up by the media.

ArgoZ
02-14-2016, 08:11 AM
I would say it's about the same Ravi. The weather sure isn't helping the event. The one huge difference is that the cost and exclusivity of the marquee agents, make it very difficult for the average fan to attend. There are more events going around the city though, which the NBA does well. I went to the NBA practice and attended the huge basketball fan fest at Exhibition Place. The added celebrities around the city generate buzz.

Our city hosted one of the best dunk contests ever last night. The Twitter verse and city is on a huge high after watching that last night. It really was incredible!

Deerkeeper
02-14-2016, 10:54 AM
I don't live in Toronto so I can't say, but I imagine it's pretty big. After all, the American Limelight is shining bright on Toronto right now and I bet all the moths are swarming to it like nothing before. Is it bigger than the Grey Cup? In 2012 I'd say no, but 2016, well I'm not so sure. This years Cup could be a tough sell to the whole city.
I'm a little more interested in what the perception of this event is in the rest of the country. I do appreciate what the NBA President, or Commissioner, or what ever he is said about no more expansion into Canada. Looks like he is much more aware of the popularity (or lack thereof) of Basketball in Canada than most of the Sports media in this country who continue to think the default setting of Canadians is to automatically love all sports that is tagged Major League and American. With the exception of these one-off events/playoffs involving "Canada's Team" who really cares. If you look at the TV ratings, I would say very few.

ArgoZ
02-14-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't live in Toronto so I can't say, but I imagine it's pretty big. After all, the American Limelight is shining bright on Toronto right now and I bet all the moths are swarming to it like nothing before. Is it bigger than the Grey Cup? In 2012 I'd say no, but 2016, well I'm not so sure. This years Cup could be a tough sell to the whole city.
I'm a little more interested in what the perception of this event is in the rest of the country. I do appreciate what the NBA President, or Commissioner, or what ever he is said about no more expansion into Canada. Looks like he is much more aware of the popularity (or lack thereof) of Basketball in Canada than most of the Sports media in this country who continue to think the default setting of Canadians is to automatically love all sports that is tagged Major League and American. With the exception of these one-off events/playoffs involving "Canada's Team" who really cares. If you look at the TV ratings, I would say very few.

And here is an example of a typical CFL only fan, who despises any other sport, especially if it's American influenced, (I can go on how the CFL is more American than you know), and feels the need to discredit it's popularity to satisfy one self.

It's OK to like other sports and like the CFL/Argos. There is so many grumpy, one sided, "sports" fans on this forum. If you don't like it, that's fine, but quit taking about something you know little about. Basketball is very popular in this country, more than ever. It's the reason 2 Canadians got drafted #1, the strength of Team Canada, and the huge popularity increase towards the Raptors.

AngeloV
02-14-2016, 01:55 PM
And here is an example of a typical CFL only fan, who despises any other sport, especially if it's American influenced, (I can go on how the CFL is more American than you know), and feels the need to discredit it's popularity to satisfy one self.

It's OK to like other sports and like the CFL/Argos. There is so many grumpy, one sided, "sports" fans on this forum. If you don't like it, that's fine, but quit taking about something you know little about. Basketball is very popular in this country, more than ever. It's the reason 2 Canadians got drafted #1, the strength of Team Canada, and the huge popularity increase towards the Raptors.

Basketball will continue to grow in popularity too. Some of these old, grumpy white dudes are going to have to accept it. It is the easiest sport to get a pick-up game going as there are so many spots in the city with outdoor hoops, and the lack of equipment needed, also makes it the most affordable to participate in. I used to love basketball growing up. I used to go to a few Toronto Tornados games in the old CBA, as well as some Senaca College games, as I lived close by. That was some pretty good ball. I still watch it, but not nearly as much as I did as a teenager. Probably because I don't play recreational anymore.

Double Dare
02-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Basketball will continue to grow in popularity too. Some of these old, grumpy white dudes are going to have to accept it. It is the easiest sport to get a pick-up game going as there are so many spots in the city with outdoor hoops, and the lack of equipment needed, also makes it the most affordable to participate in. ... and soccer.

ArgoRavi
02-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Basketball seems to be a lot like soccer in that they are popular sports to play in Canada but somewhat less popular to watch. I haven't read Chris Zelkovich's column for weeks but decided to catch up today to see what the NBA numbers have been like this year with the Raptors doing so well.

Well, the TV ratings are still very poor for the Raptors/NBA in Canada. Where the NBA has its most traction is in the Toronto area - at least that is my educated guess - but I can understand why they have no interest in further expansion in Canada as it does seem like a losing proposition in going head-to-head with the NHL here. It will be interesting to see how the NBA All-Star weekend fares nationally on TV.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. It sounds like the All-Star weekend has been similar to the Grey Cup in that you know it is going on if you are in the right part(s) of the city but it isn't like the city has stopped for the event. I find that the Canadian media seem to expect the city to stop entirely for the Grey Cup and many disparaging things will be said and written if that doesn't happen.

ArgoGabe22
02-14-2016, 05:28 PM
One big difference that the CFL will never have is the big name celebrities. It's the nature of the NBA but everyone seems to be going gaga over these celebrities such Snoop Dog, Drake etc. Even if they're not basketball fans, the younger generation is talking about it just for the celebrity appearances alone.

I for one prefer the CFL/Grey Cup for such reason. I couldn't care less about celebrities unless they are legitimately interested in the CFL such as a John Candy.

AngeloV
02-15-2016, 09:26 AM
One big difference that the CFL will never have is the big name celebrities. It's the nature of the NBA but everyone seems to be going gaga over these celebrities such Snoop Dog, Drake etc. Even if they're not basketball fans, the younger generation is talking about it just for the celebrity appearances alone.

I for one prefer the CFL/Grey Cup for such reason. I couldn't care less about celebrities unless they are legitimately interested in the CFL such as a John Candy.

I can't disagree with any of this.

Double Dare
02-15-2016, 09:45 AM
I couldn't care less about celebrities unless they are legitimately interested in the CFL such as a John Candy. 22 years ago.

Will
02-15-2016, 11:11 AM
I am just curious to hear from those living in Toronto about their perception of the NBA All-Star Weekend. This is obviously a huge event and receiving great publicity - which it deserves - from the local media. I also don't want to get into the merits of basketball vs. football and, quite frankly, there are things that the CFL can learn from the NBA/Raptors on how to expand their fanbase.

My question is a simple one. The Grey Cup, when held in Toronto or Vancouver, is often criticized for not grabbing the attention of the ENTIRE city. Is the NBA All-Star Weekend grabbing the attention of the ENTIRE city? If you are out and about anywhere in Toronto, do you know that the NBA All-Star Weekend is going on any more than you would know if the Grey Cup were in town?

I was on the Western fringes of downtown yesterday and didn't notice anything overly different.

Ron
02-15-2016, 11:30 AM

Then Spike lee and Jack Nicholson are celebs you care about.

1argoholic
02-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Basketball was invented by a white Canadian he might have even been grumpy. WTF does that have anything to do with love or hate of the game. I'm pretty sure not every black guy loves basketball.

AngeloV
02-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Basketball was invented by a white Canadian he might have even been grumpy. WTF does that have anything to do with love or hate of the game. I'm pretty sure not every black guy loves basketball.

You're right, not every black guy does love basketball. Just that I read a lot of comments that seem to link the hip hop culture with basketball in a negative way.

Similar to the older generation of many years ago that didn't like the Beatles or anything to do with Rock and Roll.

Downtownfan
02-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Whether or not the NBA all star weekend is an actual success, there is no doubt that the "sports media" in Toronto will see it as such, no matter what. They are predisposed against the CFL because it is not "major" in their view, so even if the NBA was a flop, it would still get great press. Look at how the Raptors are perceived despite their lame television ratings. Same as TFC. The Grey Cup will never get the same respect because it is "only" national. This year the Grey Cup in Toronto will sell out and no doubt be a success-- it is the largest annual sports event in Canada-- but it will get a fraction of the broadcast media interest as the NBA all star game.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8