PDA

View Full Version : Players with offseason jobs?

KCargosfan
02-15-2016, 01:24 AM
Anybody know any current players with offseason jobs?

I would think most would work at a gym or something to get free workout time.

ArgoGabe22
02-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Before retiring John Cornish worked at a bank. That's all I can think of.

Will
02-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Many do work in gyms as personal trainers and that type of thing. I know Jason Pottinger had been getting his MBA in the off-seasons, which is quite extraordinary in my opinion. I don't know how many semesters he did it over, but balancing CFL with some of the courses at Schulich probably wasn't very easy. I think some work as investment/insurance advisors too.

1argoholic
02-15-2016, 11:34 AM
I know many former CFLers have become Police officers. Former Argo Kelly Wiltshire is an OPP. Jimmy 'The Jet' Cunningham is an officer in the US somewhere. We also had a big O lineman who became a cop in Southern Cal. I think a few guys have done financial work. I would think that most have good careers.

Double Dare
02-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Nik Lewis is a plumber.

AngeloV
02-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Nik Lewis is a plumber.

Is that a butt crack joke? LMFAO!!

Adrion Smith late in his career worked in an HR department of some firm in Toronto. I still don't understand why more American players don't live here year round. It is the easiest way IMO to prepare for life after football, and with the CDN $ the way it is now, you also get more bang for your buck.

gilthethrill
02-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Back in the 60's-70's CFL players would join the pro-wrestling circuit during the offseason....hard to rest the body.

R.J
02-15-2016, 01:51 PM
IIRC Mike Bradwell worked for PCL Construction and Kevin Glenn owns and operates 2 Tim Hortons.

ArgoRavi
02-15-2016, 02:51 PM
I know many former CFLers have become Police officers. Former Argo Kelly Wiltshire is an OPP. Jimmy 'The Jet' Cunningham is an officer in the US somewhere. We also had a big O lineman who became a cop in Southern Cal. I think a few guys have done financial work. I would think that most have good careers.

Didn't defensive lineman Rob Waldrop retire to become a cop as well?

AngeloV
02-15-2016, 03:16 PM
IIRC Mike Bradwell worked for PCL Construction and Kevin Glenn owns and operates 2 Tim Hortons.

I'm surprised to hear that. I remember Andrew Grigg retired from the CFL because he bought a Timmies franchise. I recall hearing at the time that the Corporation would not allow him to play and own a franchise, because they want their franchise owners 100% committed to their business.

gilthethrill
02-15-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised to hear that. I remember Andrew Grigg retired from the CFL because he bought a Timmies franchise. I recall hearing at the time that the Corporation would not allow him to play and own a franchise, because they want their franchise owners 100% committed to their business.

Glenn is making turnovers in the CFL offseason as well.

R.J
02-15-2016, 04:01 PM
http://thepafi.org/2012/01/canadian-football-league-quarterback-kevin-glenn-takes-on-the-coffee-business/
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/argos-ricky-ray-stampeders-kevin-glenn-make-for-interesting-grey-cup-matchup

The CFL on TSN also did a feature about Glenn, his wife and the Tim Hortons franchises a couple years ago IIRC.

AngeloV
02-15-2016, 04:39 PM
http://thepafi.org/2012/01/canadian-football-league-quarterback-kevin-glenn-takes-on-the-coffee-business/
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/argos-ricky-ray-stampeders-kevin-glenn-make-for-interesting-grey-cup-matchup

The CFL on TSN also did a feature about Glenn, his wife and the Tim Hortons franchises a couple years ago IIRC.

Cool stuff. Good for him. I know I pick on him a lot as a QB, but he is a good dude.

1argoholic
02-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Yes Ravi Maldrop is a cop in the LA area. I couldn't remember his name.

ArgoGabe22
02-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Prefontaine I think worked or still does with SunLife Financial. I also read somewhere that the likes of Rona and SunLife used to hire CFL players in the off-season since they were a sponsor. Kevin Bradfield and Mike Bradwell (now retired) are both models.

A couple of "International" Riders such as Kory Sheets stayed in Canada and worked on an oil patch. I found that to be a bit unusual.

For anyone interested here is an article on James Yurichuk's clothing business. http://www.tsn.ca/argos-linebacker-takes-on-apparel-giant-canada-goose-1.398616

OV Argo
03-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Went in to one of my fave stores - The Beer Store - today in suburban Ottawa; and I wuz wearing my new Argo hoodie (see Argo Merchandise thread here); there was this big dude working the cash there - looked like a body builder / weight-lifter type. He was eyeing my Argo gear and started to razz me - saying I dunno about that, I work for the RedBlacks. Turns out it was former GG star D-lineman Ettore Lattanzio - drafted by the Bombers but cut and picked-up by Ottawa - he played some D-line for them plus STs last season. Nice guy - we chatted briefly - said he was going to get to line-up at D-line again (the Bombers i believe had him as a fullback "project" - nice gob impersonation O'Shea ;o)); under-sized for a pro DT (short, not real heavy) for sure but the guy was an outstanding D-lineman for the GGs and maybe gets by on his athleticism (very good tester at the Combine) or maybe he gets some looks at DE with Capiciotti gone? Anyhow - I wished him luck on the upcoming season - just not against the Argos.

Argo57
03-10-2016, 07:32 AM
Went in to one of my fave stores - The Beer Store - today in suburban Ottawa; and I wuz wearing my new Argo hoodie (see Argo Merchandise thread here); there was this big dude working the cash there - looked like a body builder / weight-lifter type. He was eyeing my Argo gear and started to razz me - saying I dunno about that, I work for the RedBlacks. Turns out it was former GG star D-lineman Ettore Lattanzio - drafted by the Bombers but cut and picked-up by Ottawa - he played some D-line for them plus STs last season. Nice guy - we chatted briefly - said he was going to get to line-up at D-line again (the Bombers i believe had him as a fullback "project" - nice gob impersonation O'Shea ;o)); under-sized for a pro DT (short, not real heavy) for sure but the guy was an outstanding D-lineman for the GGs and maybe gets by on his athleticism (very good tester at the Combine) or maybe he gets some looks at DE with Capiciotti gone? Anyhow - I wished him luck on the upcoming season - just not against the Argos.

OV, you should have got down in the 3 point and steamrolled the guy!!

jerrym
04-03-2016, 09:01 PM
In the old days a fair number of them became teachers, including Russ Jackson (as principal he actually phoned me when I was looking for a teaching job and starting my career to say he had no openings but he liked my resume and told me to keep looking - he was the only one who ever did that), Ron Lancaster, and Johnny Bright to mention a few of the most famous.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8