PDA

View Full Version : who's going to play centre and middle linebacker

eiben35
02-15-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm hoping Sean McEwen can sign and be like Brett Jones from Calgary and start in his first season. If not either Cory Watman or Greg Van Roten. we need to pick someone up to play the middle.

ArgoGabe22
02-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Henoc Muamba? Trade talks heating up with 3 teams

OV Argo
02-15-2016, 11:26 PM
Henoc Muamba? Trade talks heating up with 3 teams

I hope McEwen shows up - right from the start of TC would be nice - and I think he has a shot to win the C job; Watman might step-it up now with his CFL experience; Van Roten might be good too ?

Muamba would be real nice to get for MLB; I think Miles could play there, but I'd bet some new import MLBs would be getting looks if no experienced guy is there (what about Simpson ex of the Stamps?)

Downtownfan
02-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Muamba just got released by the Als...

R.J
02-16-2016, 11:06 AM
As of right now my guess for centre would be either Watman or Van Roten. Middle linebacker; Greenwood, Miles, Tonye-Tonye, or Truman.

paulwoods13
02-16-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't see Tonye-Tonye as anything more than a backup and ST guy. He has hardly played a down on defence in three seasons. Greenwood and Miles would both look good in a 3-4 alignment and I'd be comfortable with them in a 4-3 as well, if it gave us at least eight NAT starters so we could dress an INT backup for them.

gilthethrill
02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Watman did not get glowing reviews on the Riders forum for his 2 years of service there. I hope he does not turn out to be the next Cory Annett. Still hoping JuWan Simpson signs with the Boatmen.

argotom
02-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Muamba would be my choice as he is Canadian, a ratio buster and an impact player for years to come.

R.J
02-16-2016, 04:39 PM
Muamba would be my choice as he is Canadian, a ratio buster and an impact player for years to come.
Considering who his agent is and the fact that Muamba continually tries to look for jobs down south; I'm not sure he'll be a impact player for years to come.

Anyone know if Greenwood is still represented by Hardaway ?

Will
02-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Ian Beckstead can play Centre and, oh, Willie Pless can play MLB.

OV Argo
02-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Ian Beckstead can play Centre and, oh, Willie Pless can play MLB.

Pless would be at OLB on my all-time Argo team.

Beckstead would be close to Kiselak for all-time C - i might have to flip a coin

BTW - didn't the old site have a sticky with posters' all-time Argo teams ? Interesting debate material.

Will
02-18-2016, 08:26 AM
I think there was a thread, but I don't remember on which incarnation of the board.

argolio
02-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Ian Beckstead can play Centre and, oh, Willie Pless can play MLB.As long as it's mid- to late-career Beckstead. Early-career Beckstead was a holding penalty machine.

doubleblue
02-20-2016, 11:29 AM
I hope McEwen shows up - right from the start of TC would be nice - and I think he has a shot to win the C job; Watman might step-it up now with his CFL experience; Van Roten might be good too ?

Muamba would be real nice to get for MLB; I think Miles could play there, but I'd bet some new import MLBs would be getting looks if no experienced guy is there (what about Simpson ex of the Stamps?)

I don't really care about Muamba as I think Barker can find a much cheaper import who is just as good. I wouldn't be surprised that Muamba bulked up to play in the NFL and may be a step slower. Maybe why Montreal didn't think he was worth the big contract now.
It appears that McEwen is trying hard for a NFL tryout, otherwise he would have already been signed by Barker at this stage IMO. Or maybe he really wants to play in Calgary and is playing a little game of chicken with Barker, hoping for a trade. It worked before with Federkiel, so Huff might be involved again behind the scenes.

So right now going with who is signed and wants to be here. It looks to me that the starting unit going into Camp would be Bourke, Holmes, Van Roten, Smith and Van Zeyl with Watman and Sewell as back ups. The draft may bring another prospect like St. John or one of the Laval guys, but until they are signed and show up this IMO will be the starting five barring injury. With the NFL tryouts one has to just move on from, until if and when they become available.

OV Argo
02-20-2016, 11:47 AM
I don't really care about Muamba as I think Barker can find a much cheaper import who is just as good. I wouldn't be surprised that Muamba bulked up to play in the NFL and may be a step slower. Maybe why Montreal didn't think he was worth the big contract now.
It appears that McEwen is trying hard for a NFL tryout, otherwise he would have already been signed by Barker at this stage IMO. Or maybe he really wants to play in Calgary and is playing a little game of chicken with Barker, hoping for a trade. It worked before with Federkiel, so Huff might be involved again behind the scenes.

So right now going with who is signed and wants to be here. It looks to me that the starting unit going into Camp would be Bourke, Holmes, Van Roten, Smith and Van Zeyl with Watman and Sewell as back ups. The draft may bring another prospect like St. John or one of the Laval guys, but until they are signed and show up this IMO will be the starting five barring injury. With the NFL tryouts one has to just move on from, until if and when they become available.

I think you may be quite under-rating Muamba's talent, and he looked pretty good in his few games back from the NFL last year for the Als; as far as Barker just easily finding an import as good - maybe - but how come almost all other CFL teams can't then? - cause aside from Elimimian & Bighill, and maybe Sherritt, all the other CFL teams have deployed import MLBs that IMO aren't as good as Mumaba , and in some cases they aren't even close to as good.

As far as O-line: I'd guess Watman was signed to see if he could win the C job, and in that case it might make Van Roten expendable, and they could think of going with an all NI O-line ? - however, Van Roten is versatile and could maybe fit in anywhere, and I believe they will look at some import OTs in TC too = don't think the all Canadian O-line idea is a done deal, and with all the NIs they could easily start on defence (easily 5 or 6 IMO), there is no "ratio need" to pre-think an all NI O-line.

AngeloV
02-20-2016, 03:20 PM
If the Argos are looking for an import MLB, I'd be all over Rennie Curran.

Reggiemac
03-14-2016, 02:09 PM
I wonder with better coaching and a great D line if Cory Greenwood can step up to play the MLB role?

AngeloV
03-14-2016, 02:25 PM
I wonder with better coaching and a great D line if Cory Greenwood can step up to play the MLB role?

I'm sure he can, but he is so good at the weak side, I wouldn't move him. Miles played some MLB last season, and would think he is the guy that would play there if they decide to go Canadian in that spot. Yurichuk is versatile and can back up both middle and weak side if that is the direction they decide to go.

OV Argo
03-14-2016, 02:26 PM

Better coaching ? - as on the current staff with Stubler I guess you mean? And not sure the D-line will be guaranteed any better than last year with the loss of 2 starting DTs (Cummings & Laing), and Okpo at DE; Bulcke, Hall and Hickman might make the D-line as good or better even, but I'm not sure about that.

Greenwood could probably play MLB, but he was doing quite well at OLB where he played; Miles is the guy I'd like to see get a shot to play MLB; wouldn\t mind seeing a vet like Juwan Simpson brought in, but if it is not a CFL vet in the mix at MLB, I'd bet a bunch of new import guys will be brought in for TC and one of them would win the job.

Still wondering if Stubler might try a 3-4 look on this D - some or a lot of the time? - like he has used in his CFL past (though not with the Stamps recently) ? Not sure if we'll have to wait till TC and the ex. games to find out or if they would make some sort of announcement about that before?

gilthethrill
03-14-2016, 03:21 PM

Do you think our new LB & DL coaches are better than last years? Hey, who is coaching those positions (amongst others) for the Argos this season?

R.J
03-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Greenwood's "natural" position is mike, while I think he would excel in the middle; I like his skill set being used for will. I could easily see an international brought in to play mike; but I think Miles and Tonye-Tonya deserve a shot.

paulwoods13
03-14-2016, 05:09 PM
I think Miles and Tonye-Tonya deserve a shot.

Miles for sure -- he has excelled whenever in at MLB. Tonye-Tonye has basically played only special teams in three seasons, so I see no chance he will get a shot to start on D. If he had shown he was worth considering I think he'd have played at some point when guys were injured.

OV Argo
03-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Miles for sure -- he has excelled whenever in at MLB. Tonye-Tonye has basically played only special teams in three seasons, so I see no chance he will get a shot to start on D. If he had shown he was worth considering I think he'd have played at some point when guys were injured.

There's a new DC now who might have a decidedly different opinion on Tonye-Tonye's ability to play linebacker; all sorts of young NI players are destined to just play STs or back-up in the CFL; without any on-field evidence to conclude for myself, I am not ready to assume the guy is no good because one coaching staff thought the player wasn't worth playing. LOTS of football players emerge as solid players after getting a real chance to play on another team or for a new coaching regime. And some guys can carve out a decent career as a solid special team player mostly. A lot of KC Chief fans may have concluded Greenwood deserved "no chance" to play on defence for them, and who knows how he would have done. If Gregory Alexandre was "good enough", well, by golly, he would have got to play when he was an Argo, but since he did not play, he obviously wasn't good enough - sort of thing.

paulwoods13
03-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Here we go again with Greg Alexandre, but whatever. For the record I am pretty sure three different defensive coordinators have coached tonye-tonye. Yes, it's possible the fourth one sees something the others didn't. I'll believe it when it happens, not holding my breath tho.

ArgoRavi
03-14-2016, 10:45 PM
Here we go again with Greg Alexandre, but whatever. For the record I am pretty sure three different defensive coordinators have coached tonye-tonye. Yes, it's possible the fourth one sees something the others didn't. I'll believe it when it happens, not holding my breath tho.

The thing with Alexandre is the same defensive coordinator who released him in Toronto resurrected his career in Edmonton.

AngeloV
03-15-2016, 09:35 AM
The thing with Alexandre is the same defensive coordinator who released him in Toronto resurrected his career in Edmonton.

Almost as though he planned it that way.

Reggiemac
03-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Stubler represents a huge coaching upgrade. He will be respected by the players and they will be a disciplined group unlike last year. And you cant categorize his defences as a 4-3 or a 3-4 as he adjusts so often during a game and the opposing QB sometimes cant see whats happening until the snap of the ball. In the stamps GC win oner the ticats a couple years ago he had Collaros totally confused for the entire second half. The TSNbroadcast crew even said that they couldn't figure it out looking down from the broadcast booth so how could Collaros try to beat it from field level. He evolves with the situations.

OV Argo
03-15-2016, 07:16 PM
Stubler represents a huge coaching upgrade. He will be respected by the players and they will be a disciplined group unlike last year. And you cant categorize his defences as a 4-3 or a 3-4 as he adjusts so often during a game and the opposing QB sometimes cant see whats happening until the snap of the ball. In the stamps GC win oner the ticats a couple years ago he had Collaros totally confused for the entire second half. The TSNbroadcast crew even said that they couldn't figure it out looking down from the broadcast booth so how could Collaros try to beat it from field level. He evolves with the situations.

I disagree sort of; a true 3-4 features specific personnel - a nose DT and 2 DEs and then 4 real linebacker types as your regular set and personnel package . And Stubler deployed that look - mostly - with the Argos 04 GC winning D, did he not? I did not see any such consistent 3-4 look from the Stamps defence last season. Having the front move around a lot , or dropping a D-Lineman into coverage some - to provide confusion, does not equal a real 3-4 - I'm pretty sure the Stamps had 4 D-Linemen in on their defence for most of last season, but they can disguise the look.

Reggiemac
03-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Be interesting to see how it evolves here as stubler was praised by the veteran stamps for working his system around his players strengths and not vice versa.

doubleblue
03-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Having heard anything lately on Muamba. I guess he is apparently waiting for another NFL tryout, and maybe has to wait until after the Draft and free agents are picked up before some team decides they need some MLB depth for training camp. But if the price was right he would make a nice combo with Miles in the middle. If he wants to play in the East, I can't see him signing back with Montreal. Hamilton are about maxed out. Ottawa could have some cap space left though. Muamba is built more for a CFL MLBer IMO. Not big enough to be an every down player in the NFL, but could earn more in the NFL just being a special teamer, that's for sure.

OV Argo
03-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Having heard anything lately on Muamba. I guess he is apparently waiting for another NFL tryout, and maybe has to wait until after the Draft and free agents are picked up before some team decides they need some MLB depth for training camp. But if the price was right he would make a nice combo with Miles in the middle. If he wants to play in the East, I can't see him signing back with Montreal. Hamilton are about maxed out. Ottawa could have some cap space left though. Muamba is built more for a CFL MLBer IMO. Not big enough to be an every down player in the NFL, but could earn more in the NFL just being a special teamer, that's for sure.

Muamba is listed at around 6' - 235 range; so unless you are talking too short, he is easily big enough to be an every down NFL linebacker, as there are LOTS of them that size or smaller down there - including Maumba's ex - Colts team-mate and ex- Green Rider Jerrel Freeman who is a very good starting interior linebacker in the NFL. And Muamba already made an NFL roster and played there; I doubt the Colts cut him because they all of a sudden thought he was too small after he played a full season for them.

I'd love to see the Argos get him if they could afford him; Ottawa makes as much or more sense though because they don't have a real proven MLB type, and they also lost 2 Canadian defensive starters in Capicciotti and Shologan, and they might be more "ratio problem" challenged to find 7 NI starters (shouldn't really be but I could imagine somebody bleating that); the Argos should have zero issue/excuse about finding 7 NI starters.

R.J
03-17-2016, 03:18 PM
We don't have a proven mlb either.

OV Argo
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
We don't have a proven mlb either.

Yep; neither does Hamilton or Calgary arguably for that matter.

R.J
03-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Yep; neither does Hamilton or Calgary arguably for that matter.
Calgary signed Taylor Reed - also have Maleki Harris, Love and Mayo. Ticats signed Hoffman Ellis and re-signed Plesius. I think both teams are fine.

OV Argo
03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Calgary signed Taylor Reed - also have Maleki Harris, Love and Mayo. Ticats signed Hoffman Ellis and re-signed Plesius. I think both teams are fine.

Reed is mediocre at best IMO, and the other guys you mention are not proven at MLB at all ( Mayo has played OLB; Love looked lost when they played him IMO); Hoffman-Ellis has only played part of one season in the CFL and I don't believe Kenty thinks much of Plesius other than back-up and good ST player.

Muamba is an instant upgrade IMO, at MLB, for pretty well every CFL team except BC and Edmonton; but those other teams may not have $M$ room for Muamba or else may feel they are quite OK at MLB. I will not be surprised if no CFL team now has much interest, and he may kick around the NFL looking for another shot, and maybe if he doesn't latch on there, gets a call from a CFL team by Labour Day if they have an injury problem or poor play at MLB or maybe from a team thinking he is a nice addition for a play-off run.

Reggiemac
03-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Juwan simpson is still not signed by anyone. He commented yesterday that he has discussed offers with a couple teams but. They couldn't agree on money. Methinks he will be more agreeable in a few weeks. He would be a good addition as he knows Stublers system and considers himself a coach on the field. Stay tuned. Stubler recruited a couple young MLB' r Calgary last year so they are probably going to go with youth and that might motivate Simpson to sign soon.

jerrym
04-04-2016, 09:35 PM
I also like Miles at middle and Greenwood at outside, freeing up internationals to play elsewhere.

OV Argo
04-05-2016, 01:07 AM
I also like Miles at middle and Greenwood at outside, freeing up internationals to play elsewhere.

Yeah maybe - Miles might have a shot at the MLB job; but the Argos already have 4 NIs starters on D it would seem - Foley, Bulcke/Waud, Greenwood, Gabriel; might be a bit mind-boggling for a gob to have 5 NI starters on D ;o)

And I guess it could free-up another import to play elsewhere ? - not sure who/where that would be though? - why that kind of thinking? With 5 NI starters on D, that would only mean 2 needed on O - just Bourke & Holmes say? More like the Argos could easily start 10 NIs in total at least. We shall see - I won't be betting on Miles to win the MLB job with some imports in the picture - like that new signee, or maybe they get Simpson signed.

doubleblue
04-05-2016, 09:06 AM
I expect Miles will alternate with an Import MLB, who ever wins the roster spot, because of the fact as of right now they don't have a good Canadian back up for him.

paulwoods13
04-05-2016, 09:39 AM
I expect Miles will alternate with an Import MLB, who ever wins the roster spot, because of the fact as of right now they don't have a good Canadian back up for him.

They won't truly need a Canadian backup at any position if they start nine NATs. Doing so would allow them to have INT backups for whichever position has the least NAT depth. Miles could start and be backed up by (not alternate with) an INT if he's one of nine NAT starters. IMO that is the most desirable scenario because it offers maximum roster flexibility. Ten would be even better but is less likely.

R.J
04-05-2016, 04:14 PM
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1354429-calgary-dinos-centre-mcewen-eligible-for-second-straight-nfl-draft

I hope McEwen is as appreciative as he says he is. I want to see him here sooner rather than later.

paulwoods13
04-05-2016, 06:53 PM
McEwen's agent Darren Gill posted an online article suggesting mcewen is of interest to the Rams because they see him as being capable of playing anywhere on the line. The latter seems implausible to me but i fully expect he will be at an NFL mini-camp and probably a full camp. Can't see him getting to us before labour day, if at all this season. Even if he arrives in late August I doubt he'd become a starter this season.

OV Argo
04-06-2016, 01:24 AM
McEwen's agent Darren Gill posted an online article suggesting mcewen is of interest to the Rams because they see him as being capable of playing anywhere on the line. The latter seems implausible to me but i fully expect he will be at an NFL mini-camp and probably a full camp. Can't see him getting to us before labour day, if at all this season. Even if he arrives in late August I doubt he'd become a starter this season.

There was a large number of CIS players who went to NFL rookie mini-camps last season (and the past couple of years); not sure how many of them stuck,but cuts there are well before the CFL season I believe? Let's see if McEwen even gets NFL drafted before we write him off for Argos TC. His CIS resume might suggest he has a shot at winning the starting C job - just like Brent Jones, Ben Heenan or even Sukh Chung from last year, started on CFL O-lines as rookies; McEwen has as good or better the CIS ball O-line resume as Jones, who I think made CFL all-star as a rookie ?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8