PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Argonauts Schedule

tknight
02-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Hello Argo Fans!
The schedule is up and time is running out to secure your seats before they go on sale to the general public. You have until Friday, February 19th, 2016 at 4PM ET to put down your season ticket deposit! Season tickets starting as low as $199 for 11 Toronto Argonauts home games: one (1) pre-season game, nine (9) regular season games and one (1) post-season game
Contact me at (416) 341-2720 or tknight@argonauts.ca

KCargosfan
02-18-2016, 02:42 PM
This schedule almost makes me think the team didn't move out of the dome.

Thursday, Wednesday, Monday home games to start the year? Then a Wednesday home game later on? Then another Monday (though I think that is Thanksgiving)?

Weren't these problems supposed to be fixed by moving out?

AngeloV
02-18-2016, 02:44 PM
This schedule almost makes me think the team didn't move out of the dome.

Thursday, Wednesday, Monday home games to start the year? Then a Wednesday home game later on? Then another Monday (though I think that is Thanksgiving)?

Weren't these problems supposed to be fixed by moving out?

At least they are all really home games.

KCargosfan
02-18-2016, 02:55 PM
At least they are all really home games.

True. I just think that many weekday games will dampen ticket sales and TV ratings.

AngeloV
02-18-2016, 03:17 PM
True. I just think that many weekday games will dampen ticket sales and TV ratings.

Possibly, but as a newer fan of the league, you are likely not aware that the league used to play all games prior to Labour day on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Sure didn't hurt Argos attendance in those days as they were averaging over 40k per game back then.

PullTogether73
02-18-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm not crazy about the October 10 and 15 games.
Why so close together?
Aren't we past that?

paulwoods13
02-18-2016, 05:17 PM
There are no obviously right or wrong answers for scheduling, especially in summer. There are people who hate coming downtown on weeknights but will happily do so on weekends, and there are people who think weekends in summer should be reserved for cottages. I don't envy the league and the team trying to come up with a standard day of the week -- at this point I think that will never happen.

ArgoRavi
02-18-2016, 06:06 PM
Trying to come up with a perfect schedule is impossible. From a CFL fan viewpoint, "the more days on which games are played, the better" which this schedule seems to accomplish, especially in the summer.

Tau Ceti
02-18-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm going glass half full here. I think the dispersal and spacing of games is vastly improved. I could live with maybe two fewer weeknights but it's not a dealbreaker. I'll finally be calling about tickets tomorrow.

"Issues"Mcgee
02-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Not going to complain. At least, not after last year's schedule. Those home games in Hamilton still make me cringe to this day.

argos1873
02-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Not as good as I thought it might be, but still better than last year, although that's an easy feat. I suspect it will be much better next year. Not complaining in the least though. At least no Tuesday games, and no huge spaces between home games and not a late season loaded schedule. AND of course home games are actually home games. I was hoping for more weekend home games, but its still better.

Gill The Thrill
02-19-2016, 12:39 AM
5 of the last 7 games on the road, including 3 straight road games in September is terrible.

Frankly that bothers me much more than the midweek games in the summer which I don't mind. They do have 2 home games during the Canadian National Exhibition in late August which is sweet because a ticket includes free admission. Edmonton and BC are not bad draws also.

The 4:00 Thanksgiving day time is terrible, that should be a 1:00....What the hell is TSN thinking scheduling an Eastern thanksgiving day game at 4 pm local? 1pm would give fans time to spend Thanksgiving day dinner with the family after attending the game. A 4 pm start makes that a conflict.

What's with the 3 bye weeks....June 23 seems incredibly early but that's what we get with an 18 game schedule in 9 weeks, as the Argos have started the season that early before.

argolio
02-19-2016, 01:03 AM
What's with the 3 bye weeks....June 23 seems incredibly early but that's what we get with an 18 game schedule in 9 weeks, as the Argos have started the season that early before.It's 20 weeks, and to make that work one team has to play twice in a week and then get an extra bye week. That's us, again.

The perils of having an odd number of teams.

ArgoRavi
02-19-2016, 01:07 AM
The 4:00 Thanksgiving day time is terrible, that should be a 1:00....What the hell is TSN thinking scheduling an Eastern thanksgiving day game at 4 pm local? 1pm would give fans time to spend Thanksgiving day dinner with the family after attending the game. A 4 pm start makes that a conflict.

Out of curiosity, how many people have their big Thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday instead of the Monday? I can recall two previous times that the Argos played a late Thanksgiving Day game at home - 2006 and 2012. They drew 26891 for the 2006 game which was a 28-23 win over Edmonton and 25176 for a 36-10 loss to Saskatchewan in 2012.

Gill The Thrill
02-19-2016, 01:13 AM
Out of curiosity, how many people have their big Thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday instead of the Monday? I can recall two previous times that the Argos played a late Thanksgiving Day game at home - 2006 and 2012. They drew 26891 for the 2006 game which was a 28-23 win over Edmonton and 25176 for a 36-10 loss to Saskatchewan in 2012.

I notice both Thanksgiving games out east this coming season. Was there not a Winnipeg hosted Thanksgiving Day game for years, usually vs the BC Lions if I remember well...and the Ticats used to also schedule a Thanksgiving day home game, but haven't in about 10 years since playing the Argos on a Thanksgiving Monday. Lately it's been Montreal with a guaranteed 1 pm home game on Thanksgiving Day, especially since they've been playing at Molson Stadium on McGill University.

Ron
02-19-2016, 01:43 AM

The Raptors and Jays play weeknight games and it doesn't bother attendance when the teams give fans a reason to care.

Double Dare
02-19-2016, 07:53 AM
The guy who makes up the schedule: https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/meet-trevor-hardy-the-guy-who-makes-the-cfl-schedule

Neely2005
02-19-2016, 07:56 AM

We usually have it on Sunday afternoon.

The Raptors and Jays play weeknight games and it doesn't bother attendance when the teams give fans a reason to care.

And the Raptors and leafs are playing most of their weeknight games in the Fall and Winter when the weather is worse.

TheHammer
02-19-2016, 08:14 AM
I notice both Thanksgiving games out east this coming season. Was there not a Winnipeg hosted Thanksgiving Day game for years, usually vs the BC Lions if I remember well...and the Ticats used to also schedule a Thanksgiving day home game, but haven't in about 10 years since playing the Argos on a Thanksgiving Monday. Lately it's been Montreal with a guaranteed 1 pm home game on Thanksgiving Day, especially since they've been playing at Molson Stadium on McGill University.

I've always thought each team should have a 'special' game that they host annually. Either a Labour Day game, Canada Day game or Thanksgiving Day game. A sample:

Labour Day tripleheader:
Toronto @ Hamilton
Edmonton @ Calgary
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan

Thanksgiving tripleheader:
Saskatchewan @ BC
Ottawa @ Toronto
Hamilton @ Montreal

Canada Day doubleheader:
(any team) @ Edmonton
(any team) @ Ottawa (nations capital)

Banjo Bowl:
Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg
(the league and teams involved have done a great job making this Labour Day rematch a great event in is own right)

So each team has a marquee regular season game to market to the masses and showcase their city, stadium and team.

On another note, really looking forward to seeing a game at BMO. Hate to say it, but looking better than THF. Always feel like I wanted to see more games in TO, but just couldn't get enthused about going to the dome. I hope this rejuvenates things for the Argos.

gilthethrill
02-19-2016, 08:17 AM
I am getting a Flex Pack for this season, do I have to wait until March 1st to pick my games since I am not a STH? Kind of excited.

Neely2005
02-19-2016, 09:24 AM
I am getting a Flex Pack for this season, do I have to wait until March 1st to pick my games since I am not a STH? Kind of excited.

I'm wondering if the Flex Packs will work differently this season with the reduced capacity and availability.

AngeloV
02-19-2016, 10:16 AM

I always have mine on the Sunday. Easier to get the family together.

Actually, the Jays attendance is much higher on weekends. I realize your reason to care statement is because they had big crowds throughout August and September last year, but for considerably more than half the season, their weeknight crowds could not compare to the weekend ones.

1argoholic
02-19-2016, 02:17 PM
Good move on our part in not getting our seasons. Everyone talked about a better schedule with heavy home dates on weekends.
I had serious doubts and this schedule is all over the place. Hopefully because of the stadium construction and TFC schedule. The week night games blow for us if we try and make games. Oh well I'll be chilling on the leather. Looks like we'll miss at least three Laker lacrosse games if we get seasons as their home games are Thursday. I won't miss Argo ball even if it's only on tv.

Neely2005
02-19-2016, 06:29 PM

I read on the CFL Forum that Flex Packs go on sale in April. Also read that the Argonauts are not selling tickets to just the home opener. If you want tickets to the home opener then you have to buy some kind of a mini ticket package.

AngeloV
02-19-2016, 06:52 PM
I read on the CFL Forum that Flex Packs go on sale in April. Also read that the Argonauts are not selling tickets to just the home opener. If you want tickets to the home opener then you have to buy some kind of a mini ticket package.

Good. That will also help keep the undesirables from the Hammer out.

:D

ArgoGabe22
02-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Good. That will also help keep the undesirables from the Hammer out.

:D

Copeland actually said yesterday if any Hamilton fan wants to see the opener then he suggests they buy Argos seasons. I guess ticket sales are strong to suggest such unorthodox way for the "undesirables" to get tickets.

TOBenfica
02-20-2016, 05:21 PM
The schedule should get even better after this year.. With the construction TFC schedule is a little unbalanced.. They start the season with 8 straight away games.. I reserve judgment on the schedule until I see what happens in 2017. But on the positive side, anything is better that what we had to deal with last year....

timlb01
02-20-2016, 06:55 PM
I am fine with the schedule. I would prefer for the CFL as a whole stuck to a few week days for their games except for long weekends. I would prefer Thursday, Friday and Saturday games. Then on long weekends such as Canada Day, Civic, Labour Day, Thanksgiving they utilize the Sunday and Monday. I think when they started Friday night football it really helped ratings etc as people clearly knew there was a CFL game on TV. I know for myself I love the fact I can watch CFL football every Friday without fail.

I know there are many arguments such as people away at the cottage etc..... but I think that would be a minimal issue especially if you went with a lot of Thursday and Friday games.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8