PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign DL Bryan Hall

R.J
02-19-2016, 06:13 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can confirm BHall&#39;s move to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> is a 1 year deal <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLFA?src=hash">#CFLFA</a> <a href="https://t.co/bt4yFZ6o9O">https://t.co/bt4yFZ6o9O</a></p>&mdash; Matthew Scianitti (@TSNScianitti) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/700817500943024128">February 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OV Argo
02-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Interesting - I thought Hall was very strong at times on the Ticats D-line; him and Monroe (acquired from the Riders) might fight it out for one DT spot, with Bulcke / Waud holding down the other? Don't know if the team will think of carrying 4 DTs on the roster though ? And not sure either of Monroe or Hall have the skill-set to play some DE? - I don't think so = can't see both making the roster (unless it's PR or on the 46 ?)

Wobbler
02-19-2016, 06:30 PM
I assume that we're looking at him as a DT, as the Cats did. Our interior is looking strong. He has played lighter (as a DE and LB) in the past, though, so maybe there are other possibilities.

Will
02-19-2016, 06:59 PM
I would agree that considering the fact that the Argos lost both their starting DT's that Barker has done a good job of acquiring talent to replace them. I am still concerned about the end position.

gilthethrill
02-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Interesting - I thought Hall was very strong at times on the Ticats D-line; him and Monroe (acquired from the Riders) might fight it out for one DT spot, with Bulcke / Waud holding down the other? Don't know if the team will think of carrying 4 DTs on the roster though ? And not sure either of Monroe or Hall have the skill-set to play some DE? - I don't think so = can't see both making the roster (unless it's PR or on the 46 ?)

With injuries being the norm these days, the Argos can carry 4 DT"s like last year....if you count Mystery Man Tracey Robertson. Anyway, great signing, he is a big body guy who will take up space. Hate all the 1 year contracts.

AngeloV
02-20-2016, 12:14 AM
Hate all the 1 year contracts.

Understood, but I have asked in the past, why would any player want to sign a longer contract when none are guaranteed? I think what you may see in the future is an established player only sign a multi-year deal if he were to receive a significant signing bonus to do so. For example, a 2 year deal worth 250k, with 100k up front and an annual base of 75k. That would prevent a team from doing what the Als did to Muamba.

Wobbler
02-20-2016, 02:00 AM
Sorry for the off topic comment, but i think you're right, Angelo, and i wonder what sort of assurances Harris got when he agreed to a backloaded contract...

Neely2005
02-20-2016, 06:32 AM
Understood, but I have asked in the past, why would any player want to sign a longer contract when none are guaranteed? I think what you may see in the future is an established player only sign a multi-year deal if he were to receive a significant signing bonus to do so. For example, a 2 year deal worth 250k, with 100k up front and an annual base of 75k. That would prevent a team from doing what the Als did to Muamba.

I certainly don't blame the players. I think it's ridiculous that the NFL and the CFL don't have guaranteed contracts. Especially since the players make so much less in the CFL.

I also find that guaranteed contacts in a salary cap league gives the fans something else to discuss.

paulwoods13
02-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Guaranteed contracts would be terrible for the league, IMO. A team that makes a few bad decisions could be stuck in the basement for a couple of years, with no hope of improvement. How would that benefit the league or the fans?

I'm starting to think we will see a move away from one-year contracts after a year or two, if a lot of free agents don't get signed by anyone. Right now there are dozens of veteran players still looking for contracts. If a lot of them don't get one, and this happens again next year, players will be more inclined to sign for two years and assume they will at least get to camp in Year 2 with a chance to make a roster.

Argo57
02-20-2016, 09:19 AM

+1 on this one Angelo.
The way it is heading each season will be like musical chairs.

doubleblue
02-20-2016, 10:06 AM
I saw somewhere a few days ago the Argos had signed a DT who was listed at 6'1 270 and that he had played four years in College as a Full Back. :hug:Now I can't find that announcement, but I was all excited thinking just maybe the powers that be were finally listening to me and OV. With all the Canadians they can start now (I'd say a minimum of nine) they could afford to dress an Import FB. Especially one who could back up the DL if needed.

Neely2005
02-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Guaranteed contracts would be terrible for the league, IMO. A team that makes a few bad decisions could be stuck in the basement for a couple of years, with no hope of improvement. How would that benefit the league or the fans?

I'm starting to think we will see a move away from one-year contracts after a year or two, if a lot of free agents don't get signed by anyone. Right now there are dozens of veteran players still looking for contracts. If a lot of them don't get one, and this happens again next year, players will be more inclined to sign for two years and assume they will at least get to camp in Year 2 with a chance to make a roster.

I'm fine with that, in fact I like the fact that there are repercussions to signing bad contacts. It gives us as fans more to talk about and will also increase the amount of trades. Think about all the interest that the Phaneuf and Kessel trades and re-signings generated.

Skinny G
02-20-2016, 10:48 AM
I saw somewhere a few days ago the Argos had signed a DT who was listed at 6'1 270 and that he had played four years in College as a Full Back. :hug:Now I can't find that announcement, but I was all excited thinking just maybe the powers that be were finally listening to me and OV. With all the Canadians they can start now (I'd say a minimum of nine) they could afford to dress an Import FB. Especially one who could back up the DL if needed.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/02/19/argos-add-three-2/

I think you're talking about Javoddren Copeland :)

OV Argo
02-20-2016, 11:37 AM

Wonder why that Argo press release lists Copeland as a D-lineman ? - at 270 he is under-sized for a DT and his experience at LSU is at fullback ??? = not sure where they see him lining up ? As far as using an import fullback - I'd be all for it IF the guy was real good and IF the offence used him LOTS; however - this Argo offence only uses the fullback (more like an H-back - shifts a lot - lines up some at fullback and some at tight end) quite sparingly and IMO Dupuis is a good one there and they don\t really require a back-up unless that guy is also a special teams force (Gillanders was good at both).

paulwoods13
02-20-2016, 08:14 PM
I'm fine with that, in fact I like the fact that there are repercussions to signing bad contacts. It gives us as fans more to talk about and will also increase the amount of trades. Think about all the interest that the Phaneuf and Kessel trades and re-signings generated.

Bad contracts would not facilitate more trades, IMO. Why would another team take a bad contract? It can happen in the NHL because of the salary floor and the fact that wealthy teams can bury injured guys on IR forever without affecting the cap. Would a CFL team need a bad contract to get to the floor? Uh-uh. Is any team in the CFL wealthy enough to deliberately trade for a guy who is going to be paid a lot of money to sit on the injured list? Highly doubtful. Not even Sask would do that.

If a team got stuck with a bunch of bad contracts, it would end up failing to compete and the result would not be a lot of chatter from fans. It would be fans moving on to other pursuits. This is not hockey, where no matter what a team does, the fanbase in Canada is ravenously interested.

Neely2005
02-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Bad contracts would not facilitate more trades, IMO. Why would another team take a bad contract? It can happen in the NHL because of the salary floor and the fact that wealthy teams can bury injured guys on IR forever without affecting the cap. Would a CFL team need a bad contract to get to the floor? Uh-uh. Is any team in the CFL wealthy enough to deliberately trade for a guy who is going to be paid a lot of money to sit on the injured list? Highly doubtful. Not even Sask would do that.

If a team got stuck with a bunch of bad contracts, it would end up failing to compete and the result would not be a lot of chatter from fans. It would be fans moving on to other pursuits. This is not hockey, where no matter what a team does, the fanbase in Canada is ravenously interested.

You can't put players on the LTIR in the NHL unless they are medically approved (annually) by an independent doctor. I'm sure that the CFL and NFL could institute a similar rule to ensure that legitimately injured players don't count against the salary cap and as in the NHL the players salary is paid by insurance.

IMO if you're going to sign a player to a contract you should be required to honour the full contract like in most other professional sports leagues.

paulwoods13
02-21-2016, 09:01 AM
You can't put players on the LTIR in the NHL unless they are medically approved (annually) by an independent doctor. I'm sure that the CFL and NFL could institute a similar rule to ensure that legitimately injured players don't count against the salary cap and as in the NHL the players salary is paid by insurance.

I don't know how LTIR works in the NHL but are you sure about this? I can see it for guys who are injured from one year to the next (like Pronger and Horton), but teams place guys on LTIR pretty frequently in the NHL and I doubt they all have to be examined independently.

Regardless, I don't see any possibility of the CFL making such a change any time soon. It would be committing to pay money above the cap, which would be a bad idea in a league that has never made gobs of money. And it would have to go through collective bargaining, which I believe is about four years away.

Neely2005
02-21-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't know how LTIR works in the NHL but are you sure about this? I can see it for guys who are injured from one year to the next (like Pronger and Horton), but teams place guys on LTIR pretty frequently in the NHL and I doubt they all have to be examined independently.

Regardless, I don't see any possibility of the CFL making such a change any time soon. It would be committing to pay money above the cap, which would be a bad idea in a league that has never made gobs of money. And it would have to go through collective bargaining, which I believe is about four years away.

Yes I'm sure. As a Bruins fan we went through it at the beginning of every season with Marc Savard. Once the league approves the LTIR the team can Exceed the Salary Cap by the amount of the players annual salary. However this only works if the team spends to the Salary Cap maximum. The salary also counts towards the Salary Cap (Floor) minimum.

AngeloV
02-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Yes I'm sure. As a Bruins fan we went through it at the beginning of every season with Marc Savard. Once the league approves the LTIR the team can Exceed the Salary Cap by the amount of the players annual salary. However this only works if the team spends to the Salary Cap maximum. The salary also counts towards the Salary Cap (Floor) minimum.

Teams get cap relief for players that miss 10 or more consecutive games in season as well. I wonder what the requirements here are.

paulwoods13
02-21-2016, 12:12 PM

I admire your confidence in your knowledge of the NHL cap rules, but I don't think it's nearly that simple. The Red Wings have Nicklas Kronwall on LTIR right now because he is missing at least 10 games/24 days. I don't believe he had to pass an independent medical exam for this to be approved. The NHL's cap rules are arcane as hell -- any layman who truly understands them should be working for a team. All of which is irrelevant anyway since there is no chance of a similar system coming to the CFL before 2019, if ever.

R.J
02-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Hall, Monroe, Bulcke and Waud make a very good interior defensive line IMO; so, I like the move. Only areas of concern with the team at the moment for me; is the DE spot opposite of Foley and the defensive backfield. I do like the addition of Jordan Sullen, but we still have major problems in the backfield.

OV Argo
02-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Hall, Monroe, Bulcke and Waud make a very good interior defensive line IMO; so, I like the move. Only areas of concern with the team at the moment for me; is the DE spot opposite of Foley and the defensive backfield. I do like the addition of Jordan Sullen, but we still have major problems in the backfield.

Again - it is very doubtful that they dress 4 DTs on game day, even though it might be nice to have that depth for subbing; so, maybe one of Hall or Monroe is on the 46 or the PR even - if they would accept that?
CFL teams are only likely to dress 3 DTs no? - since some of them are stupid enough to dress only 6 O-linemen at times? - large body back-up DTs and O-linemen aren't as useful for special teams duty that takes good running ability. A team might dress 2 extra DEs, and if only one is a rotation guy who plays some on D, the other guy might have the wheels and athleticism to play STs.

AngeloV
02-21-2016, 02:40 PM

I would seriously consider bringing in Greg Peach to compete for a job. He may be a real bargain too after the Bombers released him.

R.J
02-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Again - it is very doubtful that they dress 4 DTs on game day, even though it might be nice to have that depth for subbing; so, maybe one of Hall or Monroe is on the 46 or the PR even - if they would accept that?
CFL teams are only likely to dress 3 DTs no? - since some of them are stupid enough to dress only 6 O-linemen at times? - large body back-up DTs and O-linemen aren't as useful for special teams duty that takes good running ability. A team might dress 2 extra DEs, and if only one is a rotation guy who plays some on D, the other guy might have the wheels and athleticism to play STs.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Argos dressed 4 DT's last season a few times. 7 Defensive linemen a game.

I would seriously consider bringing in Greg Peach to compete for a job. He may be a real bargain too after the Bombers released him.
I wouldn't - I'm still shocked Peach has been in the league the last 3 seasons.

AngeloV
02-21-2016, 02:48 PM

He is pretty productive. He gets a lot of tackles for a DE, which tells me his outside contain is very good.

OV Argo
02-21-2016, 03:15 PM
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Argos dressed 4 DT's last season a few times. 7 Defensive linemen a game.

The Argos would have had 4 DEs (Foley, Okpo, Wright & Walker (though he only played STs i think and got next to zero shot to play DE) dressed in some games i believe, and only 3 DTs - Laing, Waud and Cummings (though maybe an extra import DT dressed as a 4th DT in some games ?). Again - more likely you carry a DE as your 7th D-lineman dressed rather than a DT

paulwoods13
02-21-2016, 04:01 PM
I am fairly sure they dressed eight d-linemen at least once. Vega was also in the mix. I think the number they dress depends on the scheme for a particular game but I would bet they will dress at least seven (if they have seven healthy ones) and rotate guys in and out constantly.

OV Argo
02-21-2016, 07:07 PM
I am fairly sure they dressed eight d-linemen at least once. Vega was also in the mix. I think the number they dress depends on the scheme for a particular game but I would bet they will dress at least seven (if they have seven healthy ones) and rotate guys in and out constantly.

Vega is/was a DE. The only way they dressed 4 DTs would have been if another import was dressed at the same time that Cummings, along with Laing & Waud, were also dressed on the game roster - that might happened - i think Robertson only played in the first game of the year. DT & DE are separate positions - you can't just assume they could dress 8 or 7 and they would sub where-ever; there are some guys who have the size and maybe athleticism and skill-set to play both positions. Not sure which of the Argo D-linemen of last year had that ability; I can't see Monroe AND Hall being dressed as generic D-linemen with the notion they can just be thrown in at DE too - but maybe.

paulwoods13
02-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Vega is/was a DE. The only way they dressed 4 DTs would have been if another import was dressed at the same time that Cummings, along with Laing & Waud, were also dressed on the game roster - that might happened - i think Robertson only played in the first game of the year. DT & DE are separate positions - you can't just assume they could dress 8 or 7 and they would sub where-ever; there are some guys who have the size and maybe athleticism and skill-set to play both positions. Not sure which of the Argo D-linemen of last year had that ability; I can't see Monroe AND Hall being dressed as generic D-linemen with the notion they can just be thrown in at DE too - but maybe.

That's all fine, but I'm telling you I believe they dressed eight d-linemen in at least one game. Despite the fact DT and DE are "different" positions, the Argos last year lined up DEs inside and DTs outside on occasion. It's becoming more common.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8