PDA

View Full Version : Alouettes cap issues

R.J
02-23-2016, 11:12 AM
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/the-snap-three-alouettes-restructure-their-deals
http://www.tsn.ca/als-green-cox-woods-restructure-deals-1.441909
http://bomberbuzz.com/2016/02/23/are-we-witnessing-the-demise-of-jim-popp/

I had a feeling something like this was going on. Seems as though Popp was 100% in damage control mode and still is. I wonder how many still think he's a good gm ?

AngeloV
02-23-2016, 12:21 PM
I'll take his 18 years of success over the last couple of years before I say he isn't a good GM.

R.J
02-23-2016, 12:37 PM
I'll take his 18 years of success over the last couple of years before I say he isn't a good GM.
He was a great GM, but things change. I think Trestman and Calvillo lengthened his career as the als gm. His ego is now getting in the way and I also believe the CFL game is starting to pass him by. Once Andrew Wetenhall (younger son of Bob) gets control of the franchise; Popp is a goner.

AngeloV
02-23-2016, 12:39 PM
He was a great GM, but things change. I think Trestman and Calvillo lengthened his career as the als gm. His ego is now getting in the way and I also believe the CFL game is starting to pass him by. Once Andrew Wetenhall (younger son of Bob) gets control of the franchise; Popp is a goner.

Perhaps, but the guy even won with Charlie Taffe as his coach. Maybe he's just been there too long and needs a change.

R.J
02-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Perhaps, but the guy even won with Charlie Taffe as his coach. Maybe he's just been there too long and needs a change.
You could be right.

OV Argo
02-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Popp was once a very good CFL GM IMO; always found good import talent PLUS was tops at the CFL draft for some time.

However - I think his time has come & gone now - more like the Als need a change, Poop has slipped at the CFL draft IMO and his love affair with signing ex-NFL / all-american hero names (Ochocinco, Michael Sam amongst a good number; paying supposed huge bucks for Duron - son of NFL HOFer Chris - Carter) is embarrassing IMO. Plus he has no clue as a football HC - but has the ego to re-hire himself over & over again = laughable.

I said this a few seasons back - the Als would have been wise to get rid of Poop and give a fresh thinker a chance.

Argo
02-23-2016, 05:01 PM
I said this a few seasons back - the Als would have been wise to get rid of Poop and give a fresh thinker a chance.

I cannot argue with that.

doubleblue
02-23-2016, 06:15 PM
Probably nothing wrong with Jim Popp that a young Anthony Cavillo wouldn't fix. Put a good veteran QB on that team and they would be right back in the thick of things. IMO

Will
02-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Probably nothing wrong with Jim Popp that a young Anthony Cavillo wouldn't fix. Put a good veteran QB on that team and they would be right back in the thick of things. IMO

I agree.

Argo57
02-23-2016, 08:03 PM
He's had a good run but he is an arrogant asshole!

Ron
02-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Mountain out of a molehill. For one there is no cap in February Never was and never will be. Also as far as new contracts for those listed ... they were overpaid to begin with.

I'll crap on Popp when his team goes over the salary cap when it counts. And after the almost 2 decades of success I'll grant him a rebuild period. They (the Als) did ride the vets for a long time)

KCargosfan
02-24-2016, 01:51 AM
A HOF quarterback makes a lot of people look good. How many millionaires has Tom Brady made? Crennel, Weis, Bill O'brien, etc., etc.

ArgoRavi
02-24-2016, 01:51 AM
Mountain out of a molehill. For one there is no cap in February Never was and never will be. Also as far as new contracts for those listed ... they were overpaid to begin with.

I'll crap on Popp when his team goes over the salary cap when it counts. And after the almost 2 decades of success I'll grant him a rebuild period. They (the Als) did ride the vets for a long time)

Popp doesn't seem to be rebuilding though. He has seemingly changed his philosophy over the past three off-seasons in that he seems more concerned with signing older free agents - which is why I don't consider him to be rebuilding - rather than focusing on recruiting younger talent. The Als have looked like a team spinning its wheels over that time and I don't see much reason why that won't continue this season.

OV Argo
02-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Popp doesn't seem to be rebuilding though. He has seemingly changed his philosophy over the past three off-seasons in that he seems more concerned with signing older free agents - which is why I don't consider him to be rebuilding - rather than focusing on recruiting younger talent. The Als have looked like a team spinning its wheels over that time and I don't see much reason why that won't continue this season.

I'm surprised they didn't waltz to a couple of Grey Cup wins in a row lately - what with superstars like Ochocinco and Michael Sam in the line-up; and with Poop as HC now - clear sailing ahead.

I don't know if "rebuilding" is a term that can be applied to any CFL team these days? Wouldn't that be going with a lot of young players, developing a couple of young QB talents, emphasis on the draft and giving picks there a shot to play ? Who does that now in the CFL? Ottawa just got to a GC game (and coulda won it) in year TWO and with a vet QB leading them. Jonestown in Regina totally cleaned house to put his own stamp on things there, but they have a vet QB and then signed a whole bunch of known free agents. Another recent stumble-bum team in the Bummers loading up on known (and you;d think costly) veteran free agents. You can put together a good CFL team in ONE year now - shot to go to the GC - in an only 9 team league. The notion of building with just youth, a sold coaching game-plan and patience = nowhere to be found.

AngeloV
02-24-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't know if "rebuilding" is a term that can be applied to any CFL team these days? Wouldn't that be going with a lot of young players, developing a couple of young QB talents, emphasis on the draft and giving picks there a shot to play ? Who does that now in the CFL? .

You can't do a true rebuild in any league that has no guaranteed contracts making players reluctant to sign for more than 1 or 2 years at a time. That is the reality of the CFL. You always have to have the win now attitude.

ArgoGabe22
02-24-2016, 01:07 PM
I wonder if the signing of Chad Johnson or Michael Sam have to do with the dwindling fanbase. Because signing Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Fred Biletnikoff and others worked before right?

argolio
02-24-2016, 02:56 PM
I wonder if the signing of Chad Johnson or Michael Sam have to do with the dwindling fanbase. Because signing Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Fred Biletnikoff and others worked before right?If I wanted to invoke some bad taste, I'd follow "White Shoes" with a David Overstreet joke. Good thing I don't believe in bad taste!

OV Argo
02-24-2016, 11:45 PM
I wonder if the signing of Chad Johnson or Michael Sam have to do with the dwindling fanbase. Because signing Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Fred Biletnikoff and others worked before right?

Replacing CFL all-star QB Jerry Datillio with Vince Ferragamo was a classic.

Not all busts though - stealing top NFL draft pick - MLB Tom Couisneau - worked out OK - was great to see his talent in the CFL game IMO. White Shoes actually played well in the CFL.

Back in those days though they were concerned with filling a 65K seat Big Owe; compared to having to fill a dinky 20K plus stadium like they (and others in the CFL) have to now.

ArgoRavi
02-25-2016, 02:11 AM

Not all busts though - stealing top NFL draft pick - MLB Tom Couisneau - worked out OK - was great to see his talent in the CFL game IMO. White Shoes actually played well in the CFL.

Back in those days though they were concerned with filling a 65K seat Big Owe; compared to having to fill a dinky 20K plus stadium like they (and others in the CFL) have to now.

White Shoes Johnson and James Scott were both quite productive receivers for the Als in 1981. David Overstreet produced on the ground but fumbled too much. The biggest problem the Als had that season was Vince Ferragamo's interceptions.

Will
02-25-2016, 08:44 AM
White Shoes Johnson and James Scott were both quite productive receivers for the Als in 1981. David Overstreet produced on the ground but fumbled too much. The biggest problem the Als had that season was Vince Ferragamo's interceptions.

The Alouette quarterbacks threw 36 interceptions among them.

AngeloV
02-25-2016, 12:49 PM

When was Gerry Dattilio ever a CFL all star. Seems like revisionist history to me. The year before Ferragamo came, Dattilio threw for 2900 yards with 19 TD's and 20 int's.

Dieter Brock was the league All Star that year.

Brock, Moon, and Ken Johnson of Calgary all had better stats than him. Argos Mark Jackson had very similar stats to him, and I'm sure nobody would refer to him as an all star.

Will
02-25-2016, 02:04 PM
I think Dattilio was the QB for the all-Eastern team in 1980 and not the QB for the all-Canadian team.

ArgoRavi
02-25-2016, 02:20 PM
I think Dattilio was the QB for the all-Eastern team in 1980 and not the QB for the all-Canadian team.

The Eastern Conference was rather weak that season. Datillio, IIRC, was even the MOP nominee out of the East that year.

OV Argo
02-25-2016, 02:43 PM
When was Gerry Dattilio ever a CFL all star. Seems like revisionist history to me. The year before Ferragamo came, Dattilio threw for 2900 yards with 19 TD's and 20 int's.

Dieter Brock was the league All Star that year.

Brock, Moon, and Ken Johnson of Calgary all had better stats than him. Argos Mark Jackson had very similar stats to him, and I'm sure nobody would refer to him as an all star.

Read what Ravi and 87 said below.

You didn't like Datilio eh? - gee, what a surprise there; that total stiff Mark Jackson wasn't anywhere close to as good as Datillio.

AngeloV
02-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Read what Ravi and 87 said below.

You didn't like Datilio eh? - gee, what a surprise there; that total stiff Mark Jackson wasn't anywhere close to as good as Datillio.

That's my point with you. Mark Jackson was not a very good CFL QB, yet his numbers ranked with Dattilio's that season, but in your eyes Jackson was a stiff, and Dattilio an all star. The team around Dattilio was much better than Jackson too.

You have it all wrong OV. I'm not anti-Canadian player. I still believe that teams should have to have 10 starters, rather than the current 7. But I'm not going to pretend that Gerry Dattilio was some sort of All Star, just because he is Canadian.

OV Argo
02-25-2016, 04:23 PM
That's my point with you. Mark Jackson was not a very good CFL QB, yet his numbers ranked with Dattilio's that season, but in your eyes Jackson was a stiff, and Dattilio an all star. The team around Dattilio was much better than Jackson too.

You have it all wrong OV. I'm not anti-Canadian player. I still believe that teams should have to have 10 starters, rather than the current 7. But I'm not going to pretend that Gerry Dattilio was some sort of All Star, just because he is Canadian.

but Datillio WAS an all-star (I should have specified East Division; PLUS -as Ravi pointed out he was also the East MOP that year); he was a mobile QB with a good arm; plus i thought you said not to put too much stock in stats? - only when it suits an argument ? Jackson was a fairly immobile slug with a decent arm but prone to dumb mistakes (from my recollection); Sorry - Datillio was just the way better QB - regardless of stats or birth certificate.

And the original point was - Datillio was benched - the season after winning the East MOP and all-star recognition - the very next year, so that the Als all-American thinkers could bring in an over-rated / zero experience in the Canadian game QB in Ferragamo and hand him the starting job. Can you name any other example in CFL history of a division MOP benched the very next year to be replaced by a guy with zero previous CFL experience ???

And revisionist history happens all the time on a related subject there = all sorts of clowns who like to put-down Canadian talent and scoff at the notion of Canadian QBs possibly playing in the GOB CFL, either are totally ignorant of a Canadian QB playing and doing well in CFL past or else are dismissive of Datillio's time there and particularly that one very good season. Why ?

AngeloV
02-25-2016, 04:57 PM
but Datillio WAS an all-star (I should have specified East Division; PLUS -as Ravi pointed out he was also the East MOP that year); he was a mobile QB with a good arm; plus i thought you said not to put too much stock in stats? - only when it suits an argument ? Jackson was a fairly immobile slug with a decent arm but prone to dumb mistakes (from my recollection); Sorry - Datillio was just the way better QB - regardless of stats or birth certificate.

And the original point was - Datillio was benched - the season after winning the East MOP and all-star recognition - the very next year, so that the Als all-American thinkers could bring in an over-rated / zero experience in the Canadian game QB in Ferragamo and hand him the starting job. Can you name any other example in CFL history of a division MOP benched the very next year to be replaced by a guy with zero previous CFL experience ???

And revisionist history happens all the time on a related subject there = all sorts of clowns who like to put-down Canadian talent and scoff at the notion of Canadian QBs possibly playing in the GOB CFL, either are totally ignorant of a Canadian QB playing and doing well in CFL past or else are dismissive of Datillio's time there and particularly that one very good season. Why ?

Again you have misunderstood me. I've always said that stats in the CIS level don't relate to what someone can do in the CFL, because there are way too many blowots in the CIS where stats often get padded.

My point was that Dattilio was ok, but certainly not a great QB. 20 picks on just over 300 attempts, is in fact pretty bad. The east was not great that year (in fact the best team in the east would have missed the playoffs in the west). Dave Marler, Mark Jackson, and for much of the year Jordan Case were the other 3 QB's in the east.

As fo ryour mobility comparison of the 2, Jackson rushed for more yards and had a higher yards per carry average than the Eastern all star in 1980. Are you sure you're not confusing Mark Jackson for Tony Adams?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8