View Full Version : 2016 Combine

doubleblue
02-27-2016, 11:40 AM
I see the 2016 Combine rosters are up on CFL.ca. I count about seven of the top rated players missing. Either they have refused because of NFL tryouts or the CFL Scouts have enough data on them and they would rather see some of the other prospects that are still kind of unknown. WR's Brescacin, & Smith. DL's Onyamata, Abdesmad, Winters & Corney. DB Colquhun are missing from thr list. OG Dillon Guy I believe will be there but can't work out because of his knee injury. Also didn't see Calgary DB Elia Burka who was rated high at one time.

gilthethrill
02-27-2016, 12:06 PM
I see the 2016 Combine rosters are up on CFL.ca. I count about seven of the top rated players missing. Either they have refused because of NFL tryouts or the CFL Scouts have enough data on them and they would rather see some of the other prospects that are still kind of unknown. WR's Brescacin, & Smith. DL's Onyamata, Abdesmad, Winters & Corney. DB Colquhun are missing from thr list. OG Dillon Guy I believe will be there but can't work out because of his knee injury. Also didn't see Calgary DB Elia Burka who was rated high at one time.

I noticed that as well. Look forward to seeing the lesser known players making to the National from Regionals. After seeing R Jamel Kett from Western play in the Yates cup, I wonder if that big target can play pro.

OV Argo
02-27-2016, 12:43 PM

Those guys had to have declined - I don\t think there is any way that not one CFL team did not invite them. Abdesmad is going to the NFL Combine so I can see him passing on the CFL version; other guys like Smith, Brescacin, Colquhon, Onyemata might be on NFL radar but are not real top prospects; not sure Winters or Corney are considered anywhere near an NFL prospect, but maybe. Elie Bouka not going I don\t get either. Possibility of some injury issues for all these guys making them unable to attend; or else maybe some of them told the CFL they aren't interested in playing pro ball ?

Disappointing anyway - be nice to see ALL the top prospects on display; but looks like the CFL is working hard at beating the bushes to find Canadian talent in the huge number or players invited to all the regional combines - a few of those will be added to the main camp

OV Argo
02-27-2016, 12:50 PM
I noticed that as well. Look forward to seeing the lesser known players making to the National from Regionals. After seeing R Jamel Kett from Western play in the Yates cup, I wonder if that big target can play pro.

Jamal Kett was a tight end at Simon Fraser who put up some decent receiving numbers there; didn\t realize he had transferred to Western till I saw him play late in the season. Might be an interesting big slotback type receiver prospect; there are several other of those types this draft - Jones (Acadia), and Brescacin for example. Given how well Sinopoli did for Ottawa last year, you'd think some CFL teams might start thinking about the big, tough, sure handed receiver type for at least one slot receiver spot in their corps? - another Ray Elgaard or Rocky Dipietro type - loved those kind of receivers in the CFL game. Like to see the Argos think that way - and Gurley has that kind of size but was not really used that way.

I'm wondering where the Argos will OR should look this draft? O-line is often a priority for CFL draft thinkers, but the Argos already have some young guys / depth there - Sewell, added Watman, McEwen might show up; not sure using a top pick on an O-line depth project would make sense - OTOH a possible impact starter (like Vaiilancourt maybe) would be nice to get.

Receiver might be a good fit? - they lost depth guy Adjei; even if they are pencilling in imports at 4 of the corps' starting 5 spots, might still need a back-up NI receiver and maybe a smart pick could impress enough for playing time? I guess Stala could still fill that role though, and would be nice to have as the emergency kicker - especially if they are going to dress only one / dual kicker ?

doubleblue
03-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Jamal Kett was a tight end at Simon Fraser who put up some decent receiving numbers there; didn\t realize he had transferred to Western till I saw him play late in the season. Might be an interesting big slotback type receiver prospect; there are several other of those types this draft - Jones (Acadia), and Brescacin for example. Given how well Sinopoli did for Ottawa last year, you'd think some CFL teams might start thinking about the big, tough, sure handed receiver type for at least one slot receiver spot in their corps? - another Ray Elgaard or Rocky Dipietro type - loved those kind of receivers in the CFL game. Like to see the Argos think that way - and Gurley has that kind of size but was not really used that way.

I'm wondering where the Argos will OR should look this draft? O-line is often a priority for CFL draft thinkers, but the Argos already have some young guys / depth there - Sewell, added Watman, McEwen might show up; not sure using a top pick on an O-line depth project would make sense - OTOH a possible impact starter (like Vaiilancourt maybe) would be nice to get.

Receiver might be a good fit? - they lost depth guy Adjei; even if they are pencilling in imports at 4 of the corps' starting 5 spots, might still need a back-up NI receiver and maybe a smart pick could impress enough for playing time? I guess Stala could still fill that role though, and would be nice to have as the emergency kicker - especially if they are going to dress only one / dual kicker ?

I would think Barker will draft an O Lineman #1. Josiah St. John is rated #3 but I have seen some people talking about Vaillancourt (#6) going #1 overall to Saskatchewan, but one of the top four rated Linemen will be available when the Argos pick. Then I can see the need for a Canadian receiver with their second pick. I like Llevi Noel, but there is some other good ones. They also need a big running back/full back to back up Dupuis but might leave that to later in the draft if one of the top guys going to a NFL camp is still on the board at #3. After that I can see another Receiver and Lineman. With maybe the best player available in the later rounds. Most team like to load up on LB's and DB's for special teams depth in the late rounds. I read somewhere that the Argos had nine picks in this draft.

OV Argo
03-03-2016, 08:19 PM
The E-Camp might reveal some decent mid to late round sleeper type picks.

This draft might be quite a bit deeper than some have been saying - especially at receiver and maybe O-Line too.

Couple of players I'd like to see the Argo be able to get and maybe in later rounds: Matt Uren - slotback who has played quite a bit on the Western offence for a few seasons - seems they use him as a receiver and ball carrier, jet sweeps, etc. = maybe he is a natural for that hybrid slot/RB position the Argos use Durie at (and Coombs - who could also go back to RB); seen Uren play a bit and he made some nice hands grabs, plus looked like a shifty and quick runner; not that big - but maybe around the same size as Durie. Also: LB Mitch Barnett who was a play-maker on that Vanier winning UBC defence last season; found out he was formerly at Simon Fraser where he also put up some nice D play-making stats in a couple of seasons = starter for several years in college ball = nice; listed at under 200 pounds though, so maybe a natural smaller cover type linebacker - he could hopefully learn a lot from Keon Raymond and maybe be able to play on D down the road, plus help on STs right away.

doubleblue
03-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Matt Uren is going to the Toronto regional combine and is generously listed at 5'9 185, so that is a big strike against him. Mitch Barnett is going to the Edmonton combine and is listed at 6'1 210 and if he is that big maybe he gets a look as a special teams guy in the late rounds. They need to get invited to the main camp for a late round pick IMO. I agree about draft may be deeper than first thought as the Canadian Universities are doing a good job improving the Coaching.

OV Argo
03-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Argos get to pick at: #4 (shoulda been #5, but Bombers forfeit their 1st rounder for taking Waggoner in the Supplemental last year), + 4 more picks in - the first 5 rounds. Don''t believe they have traded away any (yet) = good.

Not sure how many players are going to the main E-Camp but it seems to be getting bigger each year; and if we add just 20 more players to the CFL's Prospects list (top 20) = Argos can get 5 of the top 40 - but that list varies of course with each team. I think I could easily name another 20 decent prospects (to add to the CFL Prospects list) - a bunch of college ball all-stars or top stat guys or guys who were solid players on winning college ball teams.

Should be able to address various positions and needs, and get some good young players.

1argoholic
03-05-2016, 08:57 PM
We have a very happy and proud uncle in Double Dare who's nephew will be attending the Edmonton Combine.Huge OL Dylan Murphy out of Montana St University Northern Lights.He grew up just outside Cowtown. Hopefully he shows enough to get to TO.
His nickname coined by his proud uncle was 'Dropkick' Murphy. He was always the toughest kid on the block.

Double Dare
03-06-2016, 07:16 AM
We have a very happy and proud uncle in Double Dare who's nephew will be attending the Edmonton Combine. Huge OL Dylan Murphy out of Montana St University Northern Lights. He grew up just outside Cowtown. Hopefully he shows enough to get to TO.
His nickname coined by his proud uncle is 'Dropkick' Murphy. He was always the toughest kid on the block. Ha, ha. He's actually the silent but deadly type ... and such a tiny nephew (6'6"- 300). Kick some ass "Dropkick"!!! I guess only about 5 will be chosen to move on to Toronto's Combine.
http://www.cfl.ca/2016-edmonton-regional-combine-results/

doubleblue
03-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Ha, ha. He's actually the silent but deadly type ... and such a tiny nephew (6'6"- 300). Kick some ass "Dropkick"!!! I guess only about 5 will be chosen to move on to Toronto's Combine.

Hope he makes it. You can't teach players to be that big. Even if he doesn't get to Toronto doesn't mean he won't get a FA offer. Most teams sign a couple of undrafted players every year after the draft. So you're looking at around 80 of these combine players going to CFL training camps. When a player is that big you have to take a good look at him IMO.

R.J
03-06-2016, 12:24 PM
If the Argonauts could draft one of St. John or Guy and then draft Colquhoun or Loffler, along with Van Gylswyk and DL Denzel Philip. I'd be a happy camper.
I wonder how early Tevaun Smith gets drafted ? I think the Argonauts need some good young Canadian receivers.

OV Argo
03-06-2016, 02:50 PM
If the Argonauts could draft one of St. John or Guy and then draft Colquhoun or Loffler, along with Van Gylswyk and DL Denzel Philip. I'd be a happy camper.
I wonder how early Tevaun Smith gets drafted ? I think the Argonauts need some good young Canadian receivers.

I keep thinking Colquhon MIGHT be a great first overall pick (if he is still there at #4), AND, IF he seems to be getting little NFL interest (seen him rated in some NFL draft prospect listings but not at all in others). This guy is a big, fast talented corner IMO (seen him play some at Mich. St.) - AND IMO that is a position that could be upgraded on this Argo D. Might be tough for a rookie NI corner to get serious consideration to play and right away at corner by most gobs, but if the guy has the talent and does well in TC competition .... That Awasah-A guy at corner last year was iffy and hit & miss a lot IMO, but maybe he puts it together now with his year of CFL experience.

Loffler is a top safety prospect who I believe will go fairly high this draft, and the Argos already have a young starter in Gabriel there.

IF McEwen seems like he will show for TC, IMO this pretty well negates the need to think O-Line "depth" - with Wayne Smith and Watman in the mix too. Taking a real blue chip O-line prospect like Vaillancourt with the 1st pick might be nice though.

Rather go receiver with one of the 2nd or 3rd round picks - a real deep group this draft IMO, this is a large position group and outside of the hybrid slot spot, the Argos have no real young NI receivers (Adjei gone); Brian Jones - huge target & athletic slotback - would be the guy I'd like to see picked if possible. Could probably play reps at slot, and do some duty at H-back/fullback.

Should be able to get another good young DT to compete with Waud too IMO - another deep position group this draft (Quinn Horton is a BIG DT and was a unanimous conference all-star at Simon Fraser last season)

Hopefully no need to use a draft pick on another long-snapper this draft - that was IMO laughable last year.

R.J
03-06-2016, 04:15 PM
I keep thinking Colquhon MIGHT be a great first overall pick (if he is still there at #4), AND, IF he seems to be getting little NFL interest (seen him rated in some NFL draft prospect listings but not at all in others). This guy is a big, fast talented corner IMO (seen him play some at Mich. St.) - AND IMO that is a position that could be upgraded on this Argo D. Might be tough for a rookie NI corner to get serious consideration to play and right away at corner by most gobs, but if the guy has the talent and does well in TC competition .... That Awasah-A guy at corner last year was iffy and hit & miss a lot IMO, but maybe he puts it together now with his year of CFL experience.

Loffler is a top safety prospect who I believe will go fairly high this draft, and the Argos already have a young starter in Gabriel there.

IF McEwen seems like he will show for TC, IMO this pretty well negates the need to think O-Line "depth" - with Wayne Smith and Watman in the mix too. Taking a real blue chip O-line prospect like Vaillancourt with the 1st pick might be nice though.

Rather go receiver with one of the 2nd or 3rd round picks - a real deep group this draft IMO, this is a large position group and outside of the hybrid slot spot, the Argos have no real young NI receivers (Adjei gone); Brian Jones - huge target & athletic slotback - would be the guy I'd like to see picked if possible. Could probably play reps at slot, and do some duty at H-back/fullback.

Should be able to get another good young DT to compete with Waud too IMO - another deep position group this draft (Quinn Horton is a BIG DT and was a unanimous conference all-star at Simon Fraser last season)

Hopefully no need to use a draft pick on another long-snapper this draft - that was IMO laughable last year.
With our 1st pick (4th overall) I want to see the Argonauts go offensive linemen - St. John or Guy. We still need some OL depth, especially young Canadians.

OV Argo
03-06-2016, 07:49 PM
With our 1st pick (4th overall) I want to see the Argonauts go offensive linemen - St. John or Guy. We still need some OL depth, especially young Canadians.

OK, but if McEwen shows up, where is this "depth" guy gonna fit on the roster? - are they going to cut one or a couple of Smith or Sewell or Watman?; is the new draft pick rookie going to be on the PR all year?

paulwoods13
03-06-2016, 08:09 PM
OK, but if McEwen shows up, where is this "depth" guy gonna fit on the roster? - are they going to cut one or a couple of Smith or Sewell or Watman?; is the new draft pick rookie going to be on the PR all year?

Let's hope McEwen shows up in May, but even if he does (unlikely IMO) we could easily squeeze in another top-rated o-lineman. Between injured list, inactives and PR it's entirely possible to carry around 10 o-linemen in total -- three or four NAT starters, two or three NAT backups and another one or two on IR or PR, plus a couple of INTs.

R.J
03-06-2016, 09:15 PM
The odds of Barker not drafting an Offensive Lineman this year are very low and yes they could easily cut someone or hid the individual on the IR and/or place him on the PR - Not to mention injuries do occur during the season. As of right now it's a big if on McEwen showing up at training camp; if he were to show up the Argonauts would have 9, then if they did end up drafting a linemen that would be 10; you could easily dress 7, have one on the inactive, 1 on the IR and 1 on the PR. Another scenario is one or two of Fonoti, Sewell, Smith and Van Roten could end up being cut. Josh Bourke is 33 and isn't getting any younger; while he's here I'd like to see the Argonauts groom his successor. If Sewell still isn't ready to play; I'd have zero issue cutting him. St. John and Guy (Vaillancourt as well) have a lot of potential, and since when did teams avoid drafting Canadian offensive linemen ?

I still think the Argonauts are going minimum 4 on the OL and because of that; a lot of scenarios should be looked at.

OV Argo
03-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Let's hope McEwen shows up in May, but even if he does (unlikely IMO) we could easily squeeze in another top-rated o-lineman. Between injured list, inactives and PR it's entirely possible to carry around 10 o-linemen in total -- three or four NAT starters, two or three NAT backups and another one or two on IR or PR, plus a couple of INTs.

CFL teams dress 7 O-linemen generally - right?; so you're saying to carry 10, they could also have one guy on the 46 (is that what you mean by "inactive"?); plus one guy on the injured list, plus another guy on the practice roster ?

I guess you could squeeze another young NI depth guy in there - on the PR maybe. I just wouldn't use the first pick or even probably the 2nd or 3rd draft picks on such a "project"; because IMO, those type draft picks should be used for areas of need, and potential 42 man roster contributors, if not starter material.

I believe you could get a depth O-line project with a 4th or later round pick this draft. SnowRouge seems to be advocating using the Argos 1st pick on such a player. If they had their pick of any of the top O-line prospects this draft (say Valliancourt or maybe St.John) - and you draft one of them and then tell them and their agent- hey, we like you for our PR this season at minimum wage = they might tell you to f.o. 1st round picks might generally believe that a bit more is expected of them in the CFL these days - but maybe not, and the team could always tell them - FU - it's PR and minimum wage and tough $h*t ?

paulwoods13
03-07-2016, 07:28 AM
CFL teams dress 7 O-linemen generally - right?; so you're saying to carry 10, they could also have one guy on the 46 (is that what you mean by "inactive"?); plus one guy on the injured list, plus another guy on the practice roster ?

I guess you could squeeze another young NI depth guy in there - on the PR maybe. I just wouldn't use the first pick or even probably the 2nd or 3rd draft picks on such a "project"; because IMO, those type draft picks should be used for areas of need, and potential 42 man roster contributors, if not starter material.

I believe you could get a depth O-line project with a 4th or later round pick this draft. SnowRouge seems to be advocating using the Argos 1st pick on such a player. If they had their pick of any of the top O-line prospects this draft (say Valliancourt or maybe St.John) - and you draft one of them and then tell them and their agent- hey, we like you for our PR this season at minimum wage = they might tell you to f.o. 1st round picks might generally believe that a bit more is expected of them in the CFL these days - but maybe not, and the team could always tell them - FU - it's PR and minimum wage and tough $h*t ?

Yes, they can dress seven and keep at least three others on other parts of the roster. All teams keep at least nine and I'd venture to guess most teams keep 10 or even 11 around. I would be in favour of taking one in first round. No one's gonna tell a first-round draft choice now that he might end up on the PR, and in fact no first-rounder WILL end up on the PR. But Watman, Smith or Sewell could, with little risk of them being snapped up by someone else.

gilthethrill
03-07-2016, 10:13 AM
I am still waiting for some pre combine analysis from TSN's Duane Ford. I hope his coverage was not dropped due to cutbacks.

R.J
03-07-2016, 12:06 PM
I think I've got it now.

Vaillancourt (CIS) = good draftee. St. John or Guy (NCAA) = wasted draft pick.

OV Argo
03-07-2016, 12:40 PM
I think I've got it now.

Vaillancourt (CIS) = good draftee. St. John or Guy (NCAA) = wasted draft pick.

??? "wasted" ?

Vaillancourt is IMO the far superior O-line prospect there ; St John has precious little proven college ball starter experience AND he plays OT where NIs don't play near as much in the CFL compared to interior O-linemen; and Guy has little proven starter experience in college ball either. They are all top-rated O-line prospects this draft, but Vaillancourt (4 straight years a CIS all-star at guard = ultra rare territory) is the real blue chipper who IMO might be able to go into a CFL team in need and start right away (like Heenan & Jones did in the CFL)>

The "wasted" part MIGHT be if you use your 1st pick in the draft on a player who you view as a "depth" "project" type, and they guy is maybe destined for the PR or IR ... WHEN you could have used the pick on a player who could do so much more for you and right away.

St,John and Guy would be great picks IF they come to the Argos and challenge for playing time - either starter or 42 man roster back-up. I take it you like the NCAA training better? I get the typical "depth" thinking.

R.J
03-07-2016, 01:04 PM
The only reason I mentioned depth is due to the highly unlikely scenario of any of those three starting right away.

Didn't realize that I'm a typical "gob" now.

OV Argo
03-07-2016, 01:37 PM
The only reason I mentioned depth is due to the highly unlikely scenario of any of those three starting right away.

Didn't realize that I'm a typical "gob" now.

Let's say the Argo O-line features Holmes at one guard spot; so - who is the other sure-fire starter at the other guard spot? You do realize that O-linemen like Ben Heenan and Brent Jones came into the CFL and won starting jobs and were solid to top notch O-linemen right away? - i.e. they didn't need several seasons to sit around little used so they could "develop".

R.J
03-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Let's say the Argo O-line features Holmes at one guard spot; so - who is the other sure-fire starter at the other guard spot? You do realize that O-linemen like Ben Heenan and Brent Jones came into the CFL and won starting jobs and were solid to top notch O-linemen right away? - i.e. they didn't need several seasons to sit around little used so they could "develop".
There isn't a sure fire RG as of right now. I've mentioned in another thread that C, RG and RT are still question marks. Yes, I am aware that Heenan and Jones started right away; I never stated that a pick couldn't come in and start; just stated it's highly unlikely - big difference IMO. I think Guy, Vaillancourt, and St. John are talented and could potentially start, just not so sure if it would happen in their first year. IMO the Argonauts do not have many talented young Canadian offensive linemen, so yeah; I think we should draft one of those 3.

OV Argo
03-07-2016, 03:07 PM
We have a very happy and proud uncle in Double Dare who's nephew will be attending the Edmonton Combine.Huge OL Dylan Murphy out of Montana St University Northern Lights.He grew up just outside Cowtown. Hopefully he shows enough to get to TO.
His nickname coined by his proud uncle was 'Dropkick' Murphy. He was always the toughest kid on the block.

Hey - your guy Dropkick has put up some pretty decent testing #s for a big O-lineman at the Edmonton Combine = he might get invited to the main E-Camp.

R.J
03-07-2016, 05:14 PM

OV Argo
03-07-2016, 05:31 PM

A few very good testers there: DBs Schmidt (Calgary - CanWest all-star safety last season) and Termansen (UBC); and receiver Alex Vitt (Manitoba) (excellent set of testing #s across the board except his 40 time is not great for a receiver)

Double Dare
03-07-2016, 06:52 PM
My Nephew Dylan Murphy (OL) was 4th. place in the bench press, but an average of 32nd. in the other 5 events. He is 1" shorter and 25 lbs. smaller than the biggest guy at the combine (Dillon Guy who is 6'7", 325).
I'm proud of him and what he did.

R.J
03-07-2016, 07:17 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The five <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> draft eligible players moving on from the Edmonton regional combine are: UBC DB Dominique Termansen ...</p>&mdash; Gerry Moddejonge (@SunModdejonge) <a href="https://twitter.com/SunModdejonge/status/706978951311134720">March 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="ht" dir="ltr">... former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UofA?src=hash">#UofA</a> DB Brennan Van Nistrlrooy, Manitoba LB DJ Lalama, Calgary Colts LB Alex Ogbongbemiga and UBC DL Boyd Richardson. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Gerry Moddejonge (@SunModdejonge) <a href="https://twitter.com/SunModdejonge/status/706979330153287680">March 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

doubleblue
03-08-2016, 07:03 AM
My Nephew Dylan Murphy (OL) was 4th. place in the bench press, but an average of 32nd. in the other 5 events. He is 1" shorter and 25 lbs. smaller than the biggest guy at the combine (Dillon Guy who is 6'7", 325).

Dillon Guy is listed at 6'4 in the Buffalo U roster, which means he is probably closer to 6'3.
Dylan Murphy could still get an invite to one of the CFL teams rookie camps. Some guys play better than they show on these tests.

gilthethrill
03-08-2016, 10:16 AM

A big kid with US College training who tested well will surface at a CFL camp this summer.

KCargosfan
03-09-2016, 02:17 AM

Congrats to you and your family.

R.J
03-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Four prospects from Montreal Regional Combine invited to National Combine.
http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/09/four-earn-trip-toronto-montreal-regional-concludes/

OV Argo
03-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Four prospects from Montreal Regional Combine invited to National Combine.
http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/09/four-earn-trip-toronto-montreal-regional-concludes/

There are a few excellent testers + guys who were pretty accomplished players in college ball - who were at the 2 Regionals so far, and who did NOT get invited to the main E-Camp. I mentioned Bisons receiver Alex Vitt; and at today's Montreal camp - there was StFX DB Heyden Peters putting up a very good set of testing #s ( particularly explosive jumps ability in both vertical and broad jump); he was an AUS all-star DB and pretty big for a DB , plus was formerly their punter = might be a good safety project behind Gabriel, plus an emergency punter on the roster is a good thing.

I hope the Argos look at some of these maybe under-rated players if they are available in the later rounds.

R.J
03-10-2016, 06:31 PM
8 to go from Toronto Regional to National Combine.
http://www.cfl.ca/2016-toronto-regional-combine-results/

Andrew Bucholtz on TSN 1260 Edmonton discussing CFL combine. Starts at 42:50.
https://soundcloud.com/lowdownwithlowetide/hour-1-31016-feat-darcy-mcleod-andrew-bucholtz

doubleblue
03-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Bench testing over and a few guys have gone up the ladder IMO. Strength isn't everything but it is big along the line of scrimmage. Philippe Gagnon OL from Laval looks like the real deal to me. Sometimes you can tell a player just by seeing them. I would think he could get a serious shot at going higher than he is listed at #13. I think all three of the Laval guys could be first rounders, but maybe only Gagnon being able to play outside. St. John didn't do the bench which might drop him a bit. I like Grozman, Couture and Intzandt as potential OL players with a year or two grooming.
DE Boyd Richardson didn't hurt himself with 29 reps and looks to have the size and frame to get bigger.

Looking forward to the one on ones tomorrow for the rest of the positions. Wouldn't mind getting in there with a set of sheep shears to make some of those guys look more like football players. :)

Wobbler
03-12-2016, 11:58 AM
The limited support for CFL.ca is becoming a problem now: combine data is barely being updated. Nothing has been added to the leaderboard (http://www.cfl.ca/2016-combine-leaderboard/) or the roster (http://www.cfl.ca/2016-cfl-combine-roster/) so far. I'd like to know how tall Gagnon is, to find out if I should be impressed by his 40 BP (after getting that info from Twitter), but CFL.ca can't tell me. Obviously I can find that elsewhere, but I shouldn't need to.

doubleblue
03-12-2016, 12:09 PM
The limited support for CFL.ca is becoming a problem now: combine data is barely being updated. Nothing has been added to the leaderboard (http://www.cfl.ca/2016-combine-leaderboard/) or the roster (http://www.cfl.ca/2016-cfl-combine-roster/) so far. I'd like to know how tall Gagnon is, to find out if I should be impressed by his 40 BP (after getting that info from Twitter), but CFL.ca can't tell me. Obviously I can find that elsewhere, but I shouldn't need to.

Gagnon is listed at 6'4 315. Lauzon-Sequin at 6'4 300. But to me Gagnon looked bigger and taller than Lauzon-Sequin, as well he looked a bit taller than Charles Vaillancourt who is listed at 6'4 325.

R.J
03-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Gagnon performed extremely well in the Bench press - 40 reps. TBH I'm much more interested in the one on ones.

OV Argo
03-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Gagnon is listed at 6'4 315. Lauzon-Sequin at 6'4 300. But to me Gagnon looked bigger and taller than Lauzon-Sequin, as well he looked a bit taller than Charles Vaillancourt who is listed at 6'4 325.

Gagnon measured 6-3 / 312 at the CIS East-West Combine last spring; he could have put on more weight since then; very impressive bench #; but some (including scouts) are a bit over enamored with numbers and measureables, IMO. Ability on the football field - as seen in game situations - is the best scouting test. The measureables stuff is a good tool/indicator too about some pro potential.

gilthethrill
03-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Gagnon measured 6-3 / 312 at the CIS East-West Combine last spring; he could have put on more weight since then; very impressive bench #; but some (including scouts) are a bit over enamored with numbers and measureables, IMO. Ability on the football field - as seen in game situations - is the best scouting test. The measureables stuff is a good tool/indicator too about some pro potential.

I thought BIG Quinn Horton would do better on the bench....will be interesting to see how he does tomorrow in1 on 1's. Still like a DL to be over 300lbs.

OV Argo
03-12-2016, 01:21 PM
I thought BIG Quinn Horton would do better on the bench....will be interesting to see how he does tomorrow in1 on 1's. Still like a DL to be over 300lbs.

There were 2 big DTs up last draft - Donovan Dale & Jacob LeBlanc - both 300 pound range, both repeat CIS all-stars (& lineman of the year nominees) - who were NOT drafted at all = you never know with CFL draft "thinking" - the Argos drafted a long-snapper prospect in the later rounds.

Horton listed at 315; and Butcher and Egerter are another couple of 300 pound + range DTs up this draft. Abdesmad and Onymeata are the 2 top DT prospects this draft, and might go quite early (unless there is confirmed serious NFL interest). Like to see the Argos take a shot at one of these maybe lesser rated DTs if they are available in the mid to late rounds - to compete with Waud for playing time or at least provide depth.

R.J
03-12-2016, 02:40 PM
http://www.cfl.ca/2016-combine-leaderboard/
<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">40 Reps on the Bench?!<br><br>WOWOWOW 💪 😮💪 😮💪 😮 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLCombine?src=hash">#CFLCombine</a><a href="https://t.co/Q0D7Ya62Qn">https://t.co/Q0D7Ya62Qn</a></p>&mdash; CFL (@CFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL/status/708732982928875520">March 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Your Vertical Top 5 ⬆ 🆙 👆 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLCombine?src=hash">#CFLCombine</a> <a href="https://t.co/dJd50TjdBU">pic.twitter.com/dJd50TjdBU</a></p>&mdash; CFL (@CFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL/status/708736870503550976">March 12, 2016</a></blockquote>

gilthethrill
03-12-2016, 03:42 PM
With the offseaon departures of both Gillanders & Robinson, this big receiver from Laval Felix Faubert-Lussier could look good on the roster with Dupuis as an H-Back.

OV Argo
03-12-2016, 03:48 PM
With the offseaon departures of both Gillanders & Robinson, this big receiver from Laval Felix Faubert-Lussier could look good on the roster with Dupuis as an H-Back.

Yeah - big, strong guy AND with receiver experience and production in college ball (Gillanders was a tailback, Robinson a DE); Brian Jones (Acadia) is another big, strong, athletic guy who could maybe fill that H-back role as well; but rather see him get a real shot as an every-down slotback - look what Sinopoli did with the RedBlacks last year = 1000 yard season from a big inside receiver with excellent hands.

doubleblue
03-13-2016, 10:29 PM
After watching the combine there will be a few guys move up to the first round IMO, but maybe more because some of the players listed high like Onyemata, Smith and Abdesmad will in all probability be in NFL camps. I can't see Barker drafting anyone but an Offensive Lineman at #4. Whether that will be St. John, Vaillancourt, Gagnon or Lauzon-Sequin is up to debate. My pick now after watching the combine would be Philippe Gagnon. He is one strong tough dude and at 6'3 310 he carries the weight well. Of course the three teams picking ahead of the Argos aren't blind either so he could well be gone by #4. But one of the other guys aren't chopped liver either. Then there are Guy, Couture, Grozman and Intzandt who will probably play in the League as well. St. John only benched 225 lbs 17 times, (well below the other players mentioned here) at the Oklahoma pro day so his star may fall a bit.
Then I would like to see Barker pick one of the WR's with his #13 pick. Llevi Noel is a very athletic player IMO and would be my pick. Of course if Tevaun Smith is still there at #13 he would be tempting if Barker feels he will come loose from the NFL this year. Then you go for a LB, FB, another OL, DL and DB depending on who is available. But those first two picks will be crucial in picking the right players that can eventually become starters. Pretty hard to beat last years 1, 2 picks of McEwan (if he signs) and Waud.

Wobbler
03-13-2016, 11:22 PM
I can't see Barker drafting anyone but an Offensive Lineman at #4.
Yeah, it seemed very likely before and almost inevitable now that the high end depth is apparent. A good OL should be available to us at that position, and it's an area of need.

There are still lots of possibilities, of course. I think I'd rather have three second round picks than a first and a second; if Winnipeg wanted our #4 I'd be happy to take their second rounders in exchange and try to come away with an OL, a WR, and a DB in round two.

ArgoRavi
03-17-2016, 12:10 PM
The Argo brass grill U of Calgary running back Mercer Timmis in this video: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/cfl-combine-argos-grill-calgary-s-timmis~827456

gilthethrill
03-17-2016, 12:25 PM
The Argo brass grill U of Calgary running back Mercer Timmis in this video: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/cfl-combine-argos-grill-calgary-s-timmis~827456

The Argos do have a coaching staff!!

Double Dare
03-17-2016, 12:51 PM
The Argos do have a coaching staff!!A cardboard cut-out for a head coach.

KCargosfan
03-17-2016, 10:53 PM
When does the measurement of heart and desire to win happen?

R.J
03-18-2016, 12:44 AM
Of course Milanovich's first questions involved being a fullback and blocking.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/ixLYNqV0oMPwQ/200.gif

OV Argo
03-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Of course Milanovich's first questions involved being a fullback and blocking.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/ixLYNqV0oMPwQ/200.gif

Hee, hee - and what is wrong with that. I recall Jim Barker saying Jesse Lumsden would be a fullback around his CFL draft time; and Obie saying star CIS tailback Jamall Lee would be looked at for fullback at his draft time too.

If Timmis is not a good blocker or pass catcher - the Argos should have basically zero interest in the guy = not a fit for their offence.

OV Argo
03-18-2016, 04:39 PM
When does the measurement of heart and desire to win happen?

Hopefully during TC at least. Not sure if the scouts can get those notions of heart & desire from a Combine; but smart scouts would have watched lots of film (or attended live games) of the players they are scouting. They might also have plenty of contacts within the college ball teams these guys played with/against - ask questions there. I'm a fan of leaning to drafting players who - if other things like measureables or stats are close - played on very good, well coached programs and went far in the play-offs (extra playing time against tougher competition), or were part of a Championship team.

KCargosfan
03-21-2016, 02:12 AM
Hopefully during TC at least. Not sure if the scouts can get those notions of heart & desire from a Combine; but smart scouts would have watched lots of film (or attended live games) of the players they are scouting. They might also have plenty of contacts within the college ball teams these guys played with/against - ask questions there. I'm a fan of leaning to drafting players who - if other things like measureables or stats are close - played on very good, well coached programs and went far in the play-offs (extra playing time against tougher competition), or were part of a Championship team.

I just think sometimes testing numbers are given too much weight. How many workout warriors have gone on to do nothing in the NFL or CFL? Plenty of "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane" types out there.

I have a buddy who is 5-6 and probably 160 pounds. He could rep 225 on the bench 14 times because his arms were short as hell. I don't care how much one can barbell bench. Also, no one is ever going to put on track spikes, get in a starting stance, and run 40 yards from dead start to flying finish. One's game speed is important, not what they do on a track.

I'd prefer scouts look at tape and see how people perform in live action. If testing was all that mattered, Doug Flutie/Pinball/Many others never would have gotten a chance. Give me someone who is tough, smart, has good tape and has desire over somebody who does well in the weight room/track.

Double Dare
03-21-2016, 07:50 AM
"Look like Tarzan, play like Jane"
Ha, ha. Okay if I use this saying sometime?

AngeloV
03-21-2016, 09:48 AM
I just think sometimes testing numbers are given too much weight. How many workout warriors have gone on to do nothing in the NFL or CFL? Plenty of "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane" types out there.

I have a buddy who is 5-6 and probably 160 pounds. He could rep 225 on the bench 14 times because his arms were short as hell. I don't care how much one can barbell bench. Also, no one is ever going to put on track spikes, get in a starting stance, and run 40 yards from dead start to flying finish. One's game speed is important, not what they do on a track.

I'd prefer scouts look at tape and see how people perform in live action. If testing was all that mattered, Doug Flutie/Pinball/Many others never would have gotten a chance. Give me someone who is tough, smart, has good tape and has desire over somebody who does well in the weight room/track.

To a degree I agree with all of this. But there aren't too many receivers that will get open running a 4.9, and conversely there aren't a lot of DB's running that slow that can cover receivers with great speed either. As far as the bench press, I agree. It's all about balance and leverage more so than brute strength.

OV Argo
03-21-2016, 02:00 PM
To a degree I agree with all of this. But there aren't too many receivers that will get open running a 4.9, and conversely there aren't a lot of DB's running that slow that can cover receivers with great speed either. As far as the bench press, I agree. It's all about balance and leverage more so than brute strength.

What some "scouts" might have to realize is that there are sometimes certain players who do not fit their cookie-cutter box measurement thing and that the best scouting comes from watching actual football play, Andy Fantuz ran a slower than 4.9 electronic 40 time (the current CFL standard as opposed to the traditional hand-held timing) - that Andy Fantuz who went on to lead the entire CFL in receiving in a season.

College ball players who repeatedly put up top stat or all-star seasons there should probably deserve at least a look in a CFL that often claims there is this pressing "ratio problem" with not enough NI talent. Scouts who want to write-off players based on 40 time or bench # rather than actual football competition in TC are still out there I believe.

AngeloV
03-21-2016, 04:37 PM
What some "scouts" might have to realize is that there are sometimes certain players who do not fit their cookie-cutter box measurement thing and that the best scouting comes from watching actual football play, Andy Fantuz ran a slower than 4.9 electronic 40 time (the current CFL standard as opposed to the traditional hand-held timing) - that Andy Fantuz who went on to lead the entire CFL in receiving in a season.

College ball players who repeatedly put up top stat or all-star seasons there should probably deserve at least a look in a CFL that often claims there is this pressing "ratio problem" with not enough NI talent. Scouts who want to write-off players based on 40 time or bench # rather than actual football competition in TC are still out there I believe.

I'll give you Fantuz, but Fantuz didn't just play well in CIS. He absolutely dominated. He was a man among boys there. I remember going to see him play at Varsity, the Mustangs had a 2nd and 35, and the QB just threw up a high pass in which he came down with the ball over 4 much smaller DB's. Tyrone Williams before him was the same story. They were just that much better than the competition they played against.

KCargosfan
03-22-2016, 12:18 AM
Ha, ha. Okay if I use this saying sometime?

Of course. I didn't make it up.

doubleblue
03-22-2016, 01:15 PM
New Mock draft up on CFL.ca. has Winnipeg at #9 taking a OL/DL out of Grand Valley State in Michigan Brandon Revenberg 6'4 285 from Essex Ontario. Some video on him shows him playing on the defensive side. Shows great pursuit and pretty good speed returning a couple of picks back for a TD. Why wasn't this guy invited to the CFL combine. Grand Valley is Div II I believe, but Revenberg looks like a good prospect.

OV Argo
03-22-2016, 04:36 PM
New Mock draft up on CFL.ca. has Winnipeg at #9 taking a OL/DL out of Grand Valley State in Michigan Brandon Revenberg 6'4 285 from Essex Ontario. Some video on him shows him playing on the defensive side. Shows great pursuit and pretty good speed returning a couple of picks back for a TD. Why wasn't this guy invited to the CFL combine. Grand Valley is Div II I believe, but Revenberg looks like a good prospect.

Grand Valley is in Div II ball (pretty sure anyways), and has been a powerhouse team there; Josh Bourke played at GVS.

Maybe Revenberg did not go to the main CFL Combine (or any of the regionals for that matter) because not enough CFL teams invited him or knew about him (could have been hiding knowledge of him as a good prospect) ?; maybe he / the CFL just found out he qualifies as a NI, or for this draft ? Whatever the reason(s) Dunk - the supposed CFL expert writer there - should have been able to explain some of these things instead of all of a sudden out of the blue making this guy a top 10 prospect. My guess is that some CFL personnel guy just told Dunk about Revenberg and he gladly assumed he is a top 10 prospect because that's what he was told.

I don't really trust Dunk's writings/comments much - comes across as mostly a spewer of CFL insider / team shill information, without much individual observations or opinions of his own. And those mock drafts we see are often all over the map, and usually turn out nowhere close to accurate. They are fun or interesting to read though. The Horsemen (Stamps fans) mock draft has the Argos drafting Simon Fraser's 2nd string QB Tyler Nickel in the 6th round ???

**** Edit

Went to Grand Valley's team website and read a bio on Revenberg - 3 year starter at right OT it seems, and twice a 2nd team conference all-star; made no mention of him playing defence there, but info says he was a D-lineman in high school ball and made Rids' scouting list at that position. Does sound like a pretty decent O-line prospect with 3 years of starting at Grand Valley.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8