PDA

View Full Version : Family vs. Fan Friendly

Golden Fleece
03-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Did anyone catch TSN 1050 today? They were trying to frame the Argos' dilemma for filling BMO as being fan friendly (read: drunk) versus family friendly (read: boring). Seemed like a stretch to me. The team is going about it the right way with the Family Zone and Fan Zone at opposite ends of the stadium, not to mention that there will be thousands of other fans there to actually watch football. There will be plenty of room for adults to have a good time without going Bills Mafia at the game.

PullTogether73
03-02-2016, 03:05 AM
Who were the commentators in that discussion?

Golden Fleece
03-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Who were the commentators in that discussion?

Didn't catch the names. It was the OverDrive show between 4:30 and 5:00. By the end of the segment they were talking about hosting an OverDrive section (or row) at BMO and inviting listeners to sit with them, so maybe their initial skepticism was just an act designed to lead to this on-air transformation. Whatever works, I guess, if it gets more fans out to try a game for the first time.

1argoholic
03-02-2016, 05:21 PM
I remember my mom taking me to my first games at CNE Stadium when I was about 7. It was just about getting seats and no real family zones or the like. I learned what a 26er was as one or two went flying from 20 or 30 rows up and just made the sideline. I also saw some crazy assed stuff as it took numerous cops to carry a crazy out. After that I was hooked. Those days in the late 60's and early 70's were nuts. CNE was totally known for booze smuggling as my cousin and I did it every game as we got older. Got the big family size carton of coke (mix) as we called it. Seemed like 90% of the stadium was drunk and wild.

Golden Fleece
03-02-2016, 05:40 PM
I remember my mom taking me to my first games at CNE Stadium when I was about 7. It was just about getting seats and no real family zones or the like. I learned what a 26er was as one or two went flying from 20 or 30 rows up and just made the sideline. I also saw some crazy assed stuff as it took numerous cops to carry a crazy out. After that I was hooked. Those days in the late 60's and early 70's were nuts. CNE was totally known for booze smuggling as my cousin and I did it every game as we got older. Got the big family size carton of coke (mix) as we called it. Seemed like 90% of the stadium was drunk and wild.

Ha! I didn't see anything like that going to Stampeders games growing up, but there was a Safeway sponsored family zone so maybe that's where we were sitting. I have no problem with people having a good time at the game, but I also hope there's room for all types of fans. On the same radio bit yesterday they made TFC games sound like a DMZ where only a fool would bring a child. Just seeing how the Argos reached out to kids at the Fan Appreciation Day in Oshawa last year, I'm not worried about it.

1argoholic
03-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Still cheer for the Stamps? My wife was almost born at McMahon as her mom was very pregnant at a game just before she was born. She went to games for years. We still see her family when TSN shows the Stamps bench as they have seats in row three or four. They've become my second favorite team.

Argo57
03-02-2016, 07:43 PM

Cool memories, I remember my dad telling me to move quick and keep my head down to avoid the flying bottles, beer sales actually made the games safer.
Remember the family cokes well, the guy in the row ahead of us had binoculars that held 8oz of rum in each side.
Fun days!!!

Golden Fleece
03-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Still cheer for the Stamps?

I followed the Stamps and Flames for at least 10 years after moving back to Ontario, but eventually shifted my loyalties to teams closer to home. Well almost--I still cheer for whoever is playing against the Esks come playoff time.

Neely2005
03-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Ha! I didn't see anything like that going to Stampeders games growing up, but there was a Safeway sponsored family zone so maybe that's where we were sitting. I have no problem with people having a good time at the game, but I also hope there's room for all types of fans. On the same radio bit yesterday they made TFC games sound like a DMZ where only a fool would bring a child. Just seeing how the Argos reached out to kids at the Fan Appreciation Day in Oshawa last year, I'm not worried about it.

I've been to TFC games and never had any issues and I was wearing an Argonauts cap. Aside from the South Endzone, I actually found it pretty tame.

R.J
03-02-2016, 09:55 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/overdrive-hour-1-1.446309

starts at about 31:50

Double Dare
03-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Still cheer for the Stamps? My wife was almost born at McMahon as her mom was very pregnant at a game just before she was born. Was she conceived at a game? (just kiddin')

1argoholic
03-03-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm not going there. haha.

I've have those Barnoculars, 2 X 8 ozs. We used to bring the cheapest rye like Three Feathers.

gilthethrill
03-03-2016, 01:39 PM
I'm not going there. haha.

I've have those Barnoculars, 2 X 8 ozs. We used to bring the cheapest rye like Three Feathers.

I had a pair of those at one time too....wineskin was also useful!

Double Dare
03-03-2016, 01:55 PM
I had a pair of those at one time too....wineskin was also useful! The only problem with a wineskin was after a while they would take on a funky smell and taste if they weren't taken care of properly. Fun for the whole family (section).

Gill The Thrill
03-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Didn't catch the names. It was the OverDrive show between 4:30 and 5:00. By the end of the segment they were talking about hosting an OverDrive section (or row) at BMO and inviting listeners to sit with them, so maybe their initial skepticism was just an act designed to lead to this on-air transformation. Whatever works, I guess, if it gets more fans out to try a game for the first time.

Hayes, Mr. All things NFL, former NHLer's, goalie Jaime McLennan and former Hurricane and Leaf Jeff O'Neill.
Don't mind McLennan and O'Neill, don't care for listening to Hayes, and don't even remember his first name. Terrible move putting him on the drive home.

Will
03-11-2016, 09:40 AM
They claim that they will go to a game this year.

R.J
03-11-2016, 12:31 PM
They claim that they will go to a game this year.
McLellan went to Eskimo games as a kid and in the audio provided - he was the one pushing the other two to go and check it out. It should be noted that O'Neill has been very vocal in the past about the Argonauts not being in BMO from the beginning and has made mention before that he'd go to games if and when they go to BMO. Hayes is an enitrely different matter; according to him football only starts when the NFL season comes around and even mentions that he'd be hard pressed to go.............. until the other two decide to go lol.

AngeloV
03-11-2016, 01:00 PM
McLellan went to Eskimo games as a kid and in the audio provided - he was the one pushing the other two to go and check it out. It should be noted that O'Neill has been very vocal in the past about the Argonauts not being in BMO from the beginning and has made mention before that he'd go to games if and when they go to BMO. Hayes is an enitrely different matter; according to him football only starts when the NFL season comes around and even mentions that he'd be hard pressed to go.............. until the other two decide to go lol.

Another reason that I refer to Hayes as being too cool for the room.

Gill The Thrill
03-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Doesn't Hayes mean ___hole. I can't seem to remember the first syllable of that word, in much the same way I can't remember his first name. I hope I'm not making an ass of myself for not knowing that...oh, geez, I think there could be a connection.:DWell, I don't think much of his opinion on hockey, despite the fact, he skated with people who played at the Major Junior Level. Note that I specifically stated he shared a dressing room and skated with them. From what I've heard and the stats I've seen, he's hockey playing was as bad as his broadcasting.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8