View Full Version : Cody Fajardo

doubleblue
03-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Some people think Cody Fajardo (6'1 223) has the potential to be Ricky Ray's successor. I don't know too much about him except what I have read, so will be anxious to see him perform at Training Camp and the pre season.
Below is his Strengths and Weaknesses from the NFL Scouting pre draft last year. Some of the critical observations are a bit of a red flag IMO, but a QB who can run in the CFL helps overcome some of those weaknesses. (I hope)

Strengths Dangerous with his legs. Effective zone-scheme runner and scrambler. Good pre-snap recognition of blitz and finds hot read. Shows some pocket awareness and will slide to create space. Uses his eyes to move safety. Will take shots over the top against press-man, single-high safety coverage. Accurate, confident thrower on the move. Adequate accuracy to boundary and utilizes back-shoulder throws when necessary. Looked to slide to finish runs rather than allow contact in 2014 after playing hurt in 2013. Two-time team captain. One of only two players in FBS history (Colin Kaepernick) to throw for 9,000 yards and rush for 3,000 yards during career. Wants to be better as a passer. Attended Manning Passing Academy three years in a row. <article>Weaknesses Below-average build for running quarterback. Was banged up for most of 2013. Shuffles to edge of pocket to find clear passing lane to perimeter. Takes extra step into throws at times and is late delivering to receivers. Crowds targets against sideline or leads them into big hits. Spotty footwork in pocket. Inconsistent resetting feet and often off-balance when making quick throws. Confidence shaken by consistent pressure over last two seasons. Rushed reads and defaulted to short, quick throws. Missed receivers running wide open downfield. Anticipation lacking to compensate for below-average arm strength. Noticeable accuracy issues throwing to middle third. Very average reading defender on zone read. </article>

paulwoods13
03-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Hope he's better than the last Cody we had at QB.

gilthethrill
03-09-2016, 11:46 AM

Man, I am trying to think who that was....will bug me all day...

OV Argo
03-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Interesting: I tend to take most of those scouting assessment's with a grain of salt; they are often over the top/exaggerated and want to sound like definitive super-experts.

Good runner should be a plus for the CFL game, but maybe not near as important as it was years ago (Reilly just won a GC though and using his legs is a strength of his IMO); and "defaulted to short, quick throws" sounds like a very good fit for a Millanovich offence ;o)

AngeloV
03-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Man, I am trying to think who that was....will bug me all day...

Don't try too hard. Former San Francisco 49er with no arm, and afraid to get hit.

gilthethrill
03-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Don't try too hard. Former San Francisco 49er with no arm, and afraid to get hit.

Even with those excellent clues...I am still drawing a blank...what era?

Reggiemac
03-09-2016, 12:32 PM
I saw his youtube videos and playing in conference games against similar programs he wa amazing and reminded me of Doug Flutie. Against a big school UCLA he was only average as his receivers let him down and his O line was overmatched but we ate talking about one of the biggest schools vs tiny Las Vegas where he played. He looks like a cfl qb great mobility, goid but not great arm and probably a good leader. A young Ron Lancaster? I, too would like to see him get lots of reps in TC and exhibition season. kilgore also looks good on his youtube videos but these hilites tend to show the best. And in a couple of years we may get to see Baker Mayfield , currently Oklahoma QB on our neg list.

gilthethrill
03-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Even with those excellent clues...I am still drawing a blank...what era?

I cheated....googled it..Pickett....did you know someone listed an office chair on Kijiji that was once owned by Pickett? Good scouting description btw AV!

R.J
03-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Pickett ?

1argoholic
03-09-2016, 01:53 PM
This is the CFL not the NFL. NFL is way over the top when it comes to picking guys apart. They don't judge heart and character just compare guys to what is the NFL standard at each position.

ArgoRavi
03-09-2016, 07:41 PM
It sounds like a lot of Fajardo's "problems" are due to mechanics which I would suggest can be coached, although I am no QB expert.

R.J
03-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Why don't we wait and see what he can do in to pro game before getting ahead of ourselves. Not to mention he's technically not even on the team anymore.

Rich
03-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Not to mention he's technically not even on the team anymore.

Yeah, what's up with that? Barker talks about him like he's definitely part of the team's plans, but he's not even on the roster. Why wouldn't he be signed? Are they saving the announcement for the big New Argos press conference that ought to happen any day now?

R.J
03-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Yeah, what's up with that? Barker talks about him like he's definitely part of the team's plans, but he's not even on the roster. Why wouldn't he be signed? Are they saving the announcement for the big New Argos press conference that ought to happen any day now?
Practice Roster players are "released" at seasons end (after Grey Cup), so I'm not too concerned, just pointing out that he's technically not on the team right now.
What press conference ? I doubt Farjardo signing would be a part of any press conference - not an exciting signing nor even close to being big news.

Bleeds Double Blue
03-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have a scouting report on that office chair?

Rich
03-10-2016, 02:53 PM
What press conference ?

They haven't formally launched their ticket drive yet. Surely you would expect them to have a big splashy announcement of all the details of this great "fan experience" that they're promising? This is the #1 thing they're selling this year -- the fan experience -- and we haven't heard a single detail about it.

I got a feeling that the tailgating exemption issue is holding things up -- getting these things through the authorities takes forever.

R.J
03-10-2016, 06:33 PM
They haven't formally launched their ticket drive yet. Surely you would expect them to have a big splashy announcement of all the details of this great "fan experience" that they're promising? This is the #1 thing they're selling this year -- the fan experience -- and we haven't heard a single detail about it.

I got a feeling that the tailgating exemption issue is holding things up -- getting these things through the authorities takes forever.
I think an announcement and press release might be made, but I'm not expecting a press conference. Best bet would probably be at a Town Hall if they decide to bring that back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

gilthethrill
03-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Does anyone have a scouting report on that office chair?

I believe the seller got the full asking price.

Rich
03-11-2016, 12:40 AM
I think an announcement and press release might be made, but I'm not expecting a press conference.

Obviously you don't understand how the PR biz works. The new regime is a professional sports organization, unlike the previous one, and they will do things properly. They're not going to get much attention for their "exciting new game day experience" if they simply send out a fricken press release. At some point they will need to make a big media splash, a big presser with Copeland regaling us with details of the "exciting new game day experience", Barker and Milanovich will be there, several players will be on hand, the cheerleaders and maybe even King Larry. This is a certainty. The only question is when it will happen.

R.J
03-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Obviously you don't understand how the PR biz works. The new regime is a professional sports organization, unlike the previous one, and they will do things properly. They're not going to get much attention for their "exciting new game day experience" if they simply send out a fricken press release. At some point they will need to make a big media splash, a big presser with Copeland regaling us with details of the "exciting new game day experience", Barker and Milanovich will be there, several players will be on hand, the cheerleaders and maybe even King Larry. This is a certainty. The only question is when it will happen.
I do, but as I mention in the post that you cut off - the Town Hall would be the most likely scenario. Yes, the team has to unveil their plans, but a press conference probably isn't the way they will go about it.

AngeloV
03-11-2016, 12:55 PM
I do, but as I mention in the post that you cut off - the Town Hall would be the most likely scenario. Yes, the team has to unveil their plans, but a press conference probably isn't the way they will go about it.

No..Rich has spoken.

Obviously you don't understand how the PR biz works.

LMFAO!!!

Rich
03-11-2016, 03:22 PM

You're still not getting it. A town hall is for season ticket holders only. How is that gonna generate new ticket sales? Don't you think they will want as many people as possible to know about their exciting new plans? That's PR 101.

KCargosfan
03-13-2016, 01:22 AM

Alex Smith???

OV Argo
03-13-2016, 01:58 AM
Alex Smith???

Ha, ha - good one. ;o)

Argo57
03-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Alex Smith???

Cmon man, everyone knows AV is talking about Joe Montana!!

AngeloV
03-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Cmon man, everyone knows AV is talking about Joe Montana!!

Leave Barry Manilow out of this.

Argo57
03-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Leave Barry Manilow out of this.

LOL sorry✌️

Stevoman
03-14-2016, 01:32 AM
I've got to admit, I'm a little nervous that Ray won't be able to get the job done like he used to but I have a good feeling that Fajardo will be a competent back up this season and will also do well if given the opportunity. I have absolutely nothing to base this on but it's kind of exciting to see if he could be groomed to become the next Argos starter.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8