PDA

View Full Version : Argos interested in Odell Willis

Argonauter
03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
David Naylor has tweeted,

"The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are shopping defensive end Odell Willis. Saskatchewan, Toronto and possibly Edmonton believed to be interested."

ArgoGabe22
03-22-2012, 06:19 PM
So much for that. Traded to the Riders for draft picks.

Will
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Whatever happened to the notion that you don't trade one of your best players to your fiercest rival?

The Rider fans over on their board are all up in arms about this trade! Not pleased in the slightest.

R.J
03-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Solid trade for the Bombers in getting the 8th and 23rd picks for Willis. Tamen never changes..... how long before he dismantles the Riders.

IMWT

Argonauter
03-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Solid trade for the Bombers in getting the 8th and 23rd picks for Willis. Tamen never changes..... how long before he dismantles the Riders.

IMWT

Brendan Taman is an idiot who ruins teams Canadian talent and leaves their cupboards bare.

gilthethrill
03-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Despite his attractive sack totals, I am glad he would up elsewhere. Odell "Offsides" Willis appears to be one dimensional. Winnipeg needed to get some Canadian content.

So, who becomes the new mayor of "Swaggerville"????

KCargosfan
03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, the Peg should have gotten at least a 1st rounder for him. They were smart in at least they traded him to the West.

ArgoGabe22
03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
I believe that it is technically a 1st rounder because Winnipeg forfeited it for Kito Poblah in the supplemental draft.

KCargosfan
03-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I believe that it is technically a 1st rounder because Winnipeg forfeited it for Kito Poblah in the supplemental draft.

Good point. I guess if you told me you'd give me a top 3 pass rusher in the league for the #8 pick, I'd take it every time.

Argocister
03-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Winnipeg now has 8,13,16,21,23 and 29 What are the chances they trade a couple for one of Edmontons 1st round picks.....and who do they want?

RoRoYoBoat
03-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Trading Willis to an Eastern team would have been Joe's last choice.

Area 51
03-23-2012, 02:19 AM
So, who becomes the new mayor of "Swaggerville"????

Where was the Mayor of Swaggerville during the week leading up to the Grey Cup? Crying about how he'd rather be at home and not at the Grey Cup. Nice leadership by the Mayor. This guy's as phoney as the moon landing.

I guess if you told me you'd give me a top 3 pass rusher in the league for the #8 pick, I'd take it every time.

You're living in a dream world if you think 1D Willis is a top three DE. That's like saying Phil Kessel is a top three forward - - he's third overall in goals scored, right? The typical Kessel game is one goal and a minus-3. How does that make the team better? Just like Willis he's one dimensional and hurts the team in more areas than he helps.

Do or Die
03-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Not a real surprise, here:

The Riders certainly fill a glaring need...gaining some big pass rush potential. But, putting a steering wheel on OD's motor, repressing the penalties/blown contains, and eventually re-upping him.....are now...Rider problems.

The Bombers lost some big play potential....but will gain in consistency and attention to detail, on the D. They also already have a number of up-and-coming D-Linemen already, as well...

Bottom line....you had one GM, with the confidence to recruit import talent....making a deal with another GM....who perhaps did not.

OV Argo
03-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Taman got hosed on this one IMO; sure, the Riders needed DE/pass rush help; but: they have a couple of good looking new DE prospects on the roster, plus Shomari Williams (and could have used the #8 or #23 pick on one of the impressive sounding DEs up in this draft to add to the mix); plus they coulda signed - for free - the recently cut Stevie Baggs (similar style DE to the over-rated Willis) - but I guess Taman is one of those typical GMs who has little faith / respect in his own recruting ability or the draft - so he gives up lots to acquire an over-rated, over-priced player = panic move, IMO.

We shall see though - maybe Willis has a great season to lead the Riders D; and maybe the draft picks the Bombers got turn out of little use.

KCargosfan
03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
You're living in a dream world if you think 1D Willis is a top three DE. That's like saying Phil Kessel is a top three forward - - he's third overall in goals scored, right? The typical Kessel game is one goal and a minus-3. How does that make the team better? Just like Willis he's one dimensional and hurts the team in more areas than he helps.

Dream world rocks!

I had to look up who Phil Kessel was because I'm not a hockey fan (living in Kansas City doesn't make one follow hockey), so that analogy didn't make any sense the first time I read it.

I'll still take Willis for the No. 8 pick.

gilthethrill
03-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Dream world rocks!

I had to look up who Phil Kessel was because I'm not a hockey fan (living in Kansas City doesn't make one follow hockey), so that analogy didn't make any sense the first time I read it.

Phil Kessel's dad actually was an NFL qb....

OV Argo
03-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Dream world rocks!

I certainly wouldn't take Willis for the #8 pick; but then again I ain't a CFL GM who has little use for top Canadian talent that is available in the draft; and again - the Riders have tons of other options available for TC to compete at DE - including a couple of newer guys on the roster with nice (ex-NFL) resumes, a couple of current roster guys, and the upcoming draft (with some good DE prospects). It's not like getting Willis was akin to getting Cam Wake or Joe Montford, or Brent Johnson or Ricky Foley in their CFL primes - he, IMO, traded for an over-rated DE - who has some pass rush skills though - lets see how much he helps the Riders D.

ArgoRavi
03-24-2012, 01:39 AM

And a CFL quarterback with Calgary too.

KCargosfan
03-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Interesting.

I certainly wouldn't take Willis for the #8 pick; but then again I ain't a CFL GM who has little use for top Canadian talent that is available in the draft; and again - the Riders have tons of other options available for TC to compete at DE - including a couple of newer guys on the roster with nice (ex-NFL) resumes, a couple of current roster guys, and the upcoming draft (with some good DE prospects). It's not like getting Willis was akin to getting Cam Wake or Joe Montford, or Brent Johnson or Ricky Foley in their CFL primes - he, IMO, traded for an over-rated DE - who has some pass rush skills though - lets see how much he helps the Riders D.

I'm guessing the Riders are desperate to have a good season after last year's disaster, therefore he is focused completely on the short-term. It's likely the No. 8 pick wouldn't have as big an impact this season as Willis. Time will tell. Willis may suck this year and the No. 8 pick may turn out to be the next Johnson or Foley, or the No. 8 pick may never amount to much and Willis could have another all-star year.

argolio
03-24-2012, 05:46 PM
You're living in a dream world if you think 1D Willis is a top three DE. That's like saying Phil Kessel is a top three forward - - he's third overall in goals scored, right? The typical Kessel game is one goal and a minus-3. How does that make the team better? Just like Willis he's one dimensional and hurts the team in more areas than he helps.If you want to pick out individual stats, Stamkos has 14 more goals than Kessel. How has he made his (also non-playoff) team better?

Pretty steep price paid by the Riders. Glad the Argos didn't match it or beat it.

Midnight Blue
03-25-2012, 05:05 PM

I'm not informed enough to have an opinion on the above Football matters, but your above quote reminded me why I stopped watching the Leafs in '94 or '95, when they traded one of the best Canadian players of all time, Wendel Clark, for some soft Swede named Mats Sundin. Heart and Soul. Gone forever.

And then the rule changes that turned a once-great Canadian game, into some kind of European pond-hockey. Ballerinas on ice. I watched Wendel Clark almost single-handedly destroy the Chicago BlackHawks in '93 in the playoffs. That, was Hockey. It was fun to watch.

Don Cherry was right, when he said that true Hockey fans would quickly get bored of this euro-style imitation.

Sorry about the rant. I miss Canadian Hockey.

ArgoRavi
03-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm not informed enough to have an opinion on the above Football matters, but your above quote reminded me why I stopped watching the Leafs in '94 or '95, when they traded one of the best Canadian players of all time, Wendel Clark, for some soft Swede named Mats Sundin. Heart and Soul. Gone forever.

And then the rule changes that turned a once-great Canadian game, into some kind of European pond-hockey. Ballerinas on ice. I watched Wendel Clark almost single-handedly destroy the Chicago BlackHawks in '93 in the playoffs. That, was Hockey. It was fun to watch.

Don Cherry was right, when he said that true Hockey fans would quickly get bored of this euro-style imitation.

Sorry about the rant. I miss Canadian Hockey.

Sorry, Midnight, but the Don Cherrys of hockey with their love of clutching and grabbing, fighting, cycling. the neutral zone trap and boring hockey are the ones who have ruined the game.

R.J
03-25-2012, 08:19 PM
While I'm not a big fan of the trap, it's still being used today, and I would have to agree with Midnight I miss pre-lockout hockey. The NHL might be faster, but goal scoring is about the same, and it's starting to look a lot like European hockey, or better yet every game looks like the Winter/Heritage Classics with hitting.

argolio
03-25-2012, 11:30 PM

Sorry about the rant. I miss Canadian Hockey.Chicago in the '93 playoffs???

AngeloV
03-25-2012, 11:31 PM
While I'm not a big fan of the trap, it's still being used today, and I would have to agree with Midnight I miss pre-lockout hockey. The NHL might be faster, but goal scoring is about the same, and it's starting to look a lot like European hockey, or better yet every game looks like the Winter/Heritage Classics with hitting.

IMO, the biggest problem with hockey today is 3 point games. Way too many teams play for the tie, and it ruins the game when a team plays not to lose rather than to win. I think it's time the league goes to 2 points for a win and zero for a loss, regardless if the game goes into OT or Shootout. It will never happen, because the teams that play for the shootout would likely lose a lot more often, and I'm sure the league loves seeing 12 teams in each conference with a playoff chance going into the last 2 weeks of the season. At this point, Florida is the #3 seed in the east because they have 14 loser points. That is just sad.

argolio
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Or they could compromise and give no point for an overtime loss and play a longer OT. That would reduce shootouts and 3 point games.

But they wouldn't even do that. You're right -- they don't want to see a wider separation in the standings, even though that would actually lead to more trades at the deadline and give them more to talk about during the 57 hours of coverage.

Midnight Blue
03-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Chicago in the '93 playoffs???

I think it was Chicago, but will have to check the VHS tape, which I recorded. If it still works,
and if I can find it. Luckily, the previous sentence does not apply to my sex life. Cheers!

Will
03-26-2012, 08:10 AM
I think it was Chicago, but will have to check the VHS tape, which I recorded. If it still works,
and if I can find it. Luckily, the previous sentence does not apply to my sex life. Cheers!

Leafs played Chicago in '94.

ArgoRavi
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Leafs played Chicago in '94.

Yes. It wasn't the most exciting of series either but the Leafs won in six. I don't remember Wendel being especially dominant in that series but, again, it wasn't the most memorable of series either so I might have just forgotten.

Area 51
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes. It wasn't the most exciting of series either but the Leafs won in six. I don't remember Wendel being especially dominant in that series but, again, it wasn't the most memorable of series either so I might have just forgotten.

That was a great series - - Potvin had three shutouts and was at the top of his game. Macoun and Lefebvre were absolute lockdowns and it seemed like they were on the ice every second shift. That was also the last hockey played in the old Chicago Stadium. As much as I disliked the Blackhawks I'd have to say Roenick's OT winner in game 4 was one of the greatest goals I've ever seen. Not in the sense that he went through the entire team, but for the magnitude of it - - tied the series at 2-2 and was the last Blackhawk goal ever scored in the Stadium. They just kept blasting the foghorn, an all time classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewZegns450

1argoholic
03-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I was at a 1-0 Leaf win at The Gardens. It was a blast.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8