PDA

View Full Version : Kit Lathrop = new Dline coach

R.J
03-16-2016, 11:39 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/16/argos-bring-in-d-line-coach-kit-lathrop

Argo57
03-16-2016, 06:53 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/16/argos-bring-in-d-line-coach-kit-lathrop

Hopefully they have advised him that he has big shoes to fill!!!

Will
03-16-2016, 08:31 PM
Never heard of him.

1argoholic
03-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Knew he had to be an American with that name. Kit is right there with Chip, Biff and a few other American only names.

AngeloV
03-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Knew he had to be an American with that name. Kit is right there with Chip, Biff and a few other American only names.

Chip was the coolest of Fred McMurray's sons on My Three Sons.

doubleblue
03-17-2016, 01:24 PM
I've heard of this guy before. Thought he must have been an assistant coach somewhere in the League before. Maybe I had just seen his name listed as a guest coach. Argos are bringing in a lot of veterans this year. Wonder what Don Mathews and Dave Ritchie are doing these days.

1argoholic
03-17-2016, 03:04 PM
My Three Sons, wow. Never thought I'd hear that on this site. Must admit I watched.

Coolest Chip is Foose and I wish I had a car he could design and rebuild for me. 2015 Chev Sonic just wouldn't cut it.

AngeloV
03-17-2016, 03:06 PM
My Three Sons, wow. Never thought I'd hear that on this site.

Sorry, that was in keeping with the old fart persona I seem have recently developed.

R.J
03-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Lathrop has coached in the CFL before and Stubler seemed to like what he saw when Kit guest coached last season, so that's good enough for me. Also helps that we have a solid veteran defensive line.

AngeloV
03-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Lathrop has coached in the CFL before and Stubler seemed to like what he saw when Kit guest coached last season, so that's good enough for me. Also helps that we have a solid veteran defensive line.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think D-Line will not be a concern this year.

R.J
03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I agree with that. I think D-Line will not be a concern this year.
Offensive line, MLB, the defensive backfield (and Milanovich lol) are the concerns for me.

gilthethrill
03-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Sorry, that was in keeping with the old fart persona I seem have recently developed.

Ya, I frowned at my 30 year old sports fan (loves his NFL Fantasy Leagues) co-worker the other day....he had never heard of Paul Henderson, his goal in 1972, or the Summit Series...

argotom
03-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Offensive line, MLB, the defensive backfield (and Milanovich lol) are the concerns for me.

We need some more athletic and taller cover guys, never really recovered after Watkins left with Jones for Edmonton.

Argo57
03-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Funny, that was the first thing I thought of as well.

Argo57
03-17-2016, 04:16 PM

I'm with you Angelo, I watched that show as well in the very early 1970's.

AngeloV
03-17-2016, 04:18 PM

I'm not nearly as concerned with the secondary as you are. To me, they only need to fill 1 more HB spot, and I know you're not a fan of Owusu-Ansah, but I like him. O-Line is the only concern for me, but I'm just hoping that CVZ just had a rough year and can rebound. If so, I think the Argos will be fine there too.

Not even going to touch the Milo crack.

OV Argo
03-17-2016, 04:35 PM
We need some more athletic and taller cover guys, never really recovered after Watkins left with Jones for Edmonton.

I'd use the first pick this draft on cornerback Arjen Colquhon (Michigan State) - IF he does not get some serious NFL interest. Big CB and he might be able to start right away if he has a good TC.

Jon Gonzo
03-17-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm not nearly as concerned with the secondary as you are. To me, they only need to fill 1 more HB spot, and I know you're not a fan of Owusu-Ansah, but I like him. O-Line is the only concern for me, but I'm just hoping that CVZ just had a rough year and can rebound. If so, I think the Argos will be fine there too.

Lots of raw talent in that secondary. One more veteran, even a reclamation project, and I'm happy. I believe there are at two future All-Stars amongst them, if they stick to it, in a winning program. As for the OL, same thing. One more big Draft Pick there on the OL this year, and I think they are laying some bricks.

Could the future look something like;

St John - Holmes - McEwen - Watman - Sewell

Maaaaaybeeeee.

Angelo is right (old fart or not) it'll take a bounce back from CVZ, and I think he'll be healthy this year and he will.

As for Coaching Concerns; I don't know these men personally. I trust the Co-ordinators to hire well. They usually do, or they wouldn't be long time co-ordinators. The only sore spot I have is too many raw American's who don't know the game. Like the Jeffery signing because of his 20 year CIS experience.

Did someone above really say Milanovich is a concern?

I find myself hoping that we have someone being sarcastic there.

Reggiemac
03-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Scott Milanovic looks to be a class act. Watching him on the sidelines when things went wrong he exudes class. Better to judge character when adversity comes along. When everything goes well everyone looks like a winner. I am new to the argos and had only a casual interest over the years but I consider Scott to be the future of the cfl. At least how I would like coaches to act. I believe he and Barker are building a dynasty, especially with real good Canadians in the program.watching the argos last year I thought that the defence had good personnel but were undisciplined and seemed to lack direction.

Reggiemac
03-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Scott Milanovic looks to be a class act. Watching him on the sidelines when things went wrong he exudes class. Better to judge character when adversity comes along. When everything goes well everyone looks like a winner. I am new to the argos and had only a casual interest over the years but I consider Scott to be the future of the cfl. At least how I would like coaches to act. I believe he and Barker are building a dynasty, especially with real good Canadians in the program.watching the argos last year I thought that the defence had good personnel but were undisciplined and seemed to lack direction.

R.J
03-17-2016, 05:39 PM

You know how I feel about the defensive backfield, so no need to get into that yet again. As for the o line, I'm more concerned about the question marks than anything else.
Can Van Zeyl return to form and what position does he play - RG or RT ?
Who's our starting C, RG and RT ?

Lots of raw talent in that secondary. One more veteran, even a reclamation project, and I'm happy. I believe there are at two future All-Stars amongst them, if they stick to it, in a winning program. As for the OL, same thing. One more big Draft Pick there on the OL this year, and I think they are laying some bricks.

Could the future look something like;

St John - Holmes - McEwen - Watman - Sewell

Maaaaaybeeeee.

Angelo is right (old fart or not) it'll take a bounce back from CVZ, and I think he'll be healthy this year and he will.

As for Coaching Concerns; I don't know these men personally. I trust the Co-ordinators to hire well. They usually do, or they wouldn't be long time co-ordinators. The only sore spot I have is too many raw American's who don't know the game. Like the Jeffery signing because of his 20 year CIS experience.

Did someone above really say Milanovich is a concern?

I find myself hoping that we have someone being sarcastic there.
If McEwen does indeed show up to camp and start that would be a huge addition IMO, but if he doesn't - see above. I've been vocal about wanting to see Sewell show up and finally start, so I hope that finally happens. Currently we're missing a few coaches (WR, OL, LB); I believe Preston can take over the offensive line duties (he has a lot of experience), Jeremaine Copeland is available to be the Wr's coach; no idea for the linebackers coach. My only real concern on the coaching staff aside from Milanovich and Brady; is Younger (I'm not a fan of his).

Not being sarcastic at all about Milanovich - I've been very vocal of my dislike of him, Brady and their "offense". Sorry, but I'm tired of seeing checkdowns galore and then only showing up out of desperation. Not to mention the Argonauts usually being in the bottom third of the league in penalties, which Milanovich never seems to fix.

Argo57
03-17-2016, 05:40 PM

At times I have been critical of Milanovich (particularly the O) but am glad he is the Argonauts coach.
Some have questioned his "fire" and charisma but both he and Jim Barker have shown nothing but class since arriving in Toronto (particularly dealing with the former owner and all other issues that entailed).
Since the 2012 World Championship they have endured major player and assistant coach defections while still remaining competitive which in itself was no small chore.

Wobbler
03-17-2016, 09:25 PM
Not being sarcastic at all about Milanovich - I've been very vocal of my dislike of him, Brady and their "offense". Sorry, but I'm tired of seeing checkdowns galore and then only showing up out of desperation. Not to mention the Argonauts usually being in the bottom third of the league in penalties, which Milanovich never seems to fix.
Ugh. OV contributes all the sneering we need and then some, IMO. Our strategy can be criticized, obviously, but I'm pretty sure we run a legitimate offense - not an "offense".

If we succeed in upgrading our OL it'll make a huge difference. If Ray has an extra 0.5s per snap I think you'll see fewer checkdowns and more Grey Cups.

R.J
03-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Ugh. OV contributes all the sneering we need and then some, IMO. Our strategy can be criticized, obviously, but I'm pretty sure we run a legitimate offense - not an "offense".

If we succeed in upgrading our OL it'll make a huge difference. If Ray has an extra 0.5s per snap I think you'll see fewer checkdowns and more Grey Cups.
I would prefer not to get into this debate, but I will say this - I'll believe it when I see it.

paulwoods13
03-18-2016, 08:18 AM
For the record, we scored more points than four teams last season despite being without our no. 1 QB and having a porous defence that also didn't score much on its own. So I guess that means BC, Wpg, Mtl and Sask have """"offences"""".

Double Dare
03-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Not being sarcastic at all about Milanovich - I've been very vocal of my dislike of him, Brady and their "offense". Sorry, but I'm tired of seeing checkdowns galore and then only showing up out of desperation. Not to mention the Argonauts usually being in the bottom third of the league in penalties, which Milanovich never seems to fix. Put me down as another "dislike" for Spockanovich.

Jon Gonzo
03-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Some of you guys are warped.

May the Bart be with you. I think it is what you deserve (;

OV Argo
03-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Are you saying the options are only either Bart or Milanovich ? There's no other football coaches out there ? - really eh?

Put me down as not much of a fan of Milanovich either - particularly his basic look. predictable style of offence. He does have a pretty good sideline demeanour for a HC though (not a hot-head or mouthy jerk like some), and maybe he is a really great leader and teacher too. You want him to be named Argo HC for life or something?

AngeloV
03-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Are you saying the options are only either Bart or Milanovich ? There's no other football coaches out there ? - really eh?

Put me down as not much of a fan of Milanovich either - particularly his basic look. predictable style of offence. He does have a pretty good sideline demeanour for a HC though (not a hot-head or mouthy jerk like some), and maybe he is a really great leader and teacher too. You want him to be named Argo HC for life or something?

Sorry OV, the days of a full time FB and TE set are gone. Even the GOB's in the CIS have gone away from that.

OV Argo
03-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Sorry OV, the days of a full time FB and TE set are gone. Even the GOB's in the CIS have gone away from that.

Yep - days of leather helmets are gone too - what a drag ;o)

Football can be a very copy-cat game. And offensive football has evolved to wayyyyyy more passing game at the higher levels in Canadian and American football. CIS offensive "thinkers" pretty well abandoned the TE quite some time ago (not sure if there is even one single CIS offence left that deploys a real tight end set as part of their basic offence ?); fullbacks used less & less too - in the NFL as well.

However - there is still some variety possible in the game. Sure handed, big target tight ends are often huge parts of NFL passing offences - maybe moreso as prime receiving targets than in the past. And you can still see some teams bang a run game in Canadian football at the CIS level - some teams run effective, productive offences there with much more ground game than pass play calling, or at least display balance.

If some like same old, standard, homogenous look offence run by every team in a 9 team league - that's swell - nothing wrong with that.

But it's laughable / ludicrous IMO to believe that every offensive coach running the same look or style of offence across a league is because it's something inherent / just has to be that way about the game or league. It's a coaching choice.

1argoholic
03-18-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't dislike Milanovich but I wish he had more personality and ripped into the guys more when they suck or continue doing stupid things game in and game out. A huge example is penalties.

gilthethrill
03-18-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't dislike Milanovich but I wish he had more personality and ripped into the guys more when they suck or continue doing stupid things game in and game out. A huge example is penalties.

He did cut the leagues leading rusher in 2012 because he could not block. He was not afraid to cut defensive captain Brandon Isaac early in 2013 because of his play. I agree with this team taking too many undisciplined penalties though.

R.J
03-18-2016, 03:08 PM
For the record, we scored more points than four teams last season despite being without our no. 1 QB and having a porous defence that also didn't score much on its own. So I guess that means BC, Wpg, Mtl and Sask have """"offences"""".
Forgive me for wanting my favourite team and it's offense to be better than mediocre.

So the CFL's coaching ranks and stable has grown so poor that our only options are Milanovich or Andrus ?

He was not afraid to cut defensive captain Brandon Isaac early in 2013 because of his play.
Only to bring him back in 2015.

AngeloV
03-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Well I for one, like Milanovich. This entire notion that he is soft on players, I don't get. I've seen him blow up at players during practice. There really isn't much he has had the ability to do the last few years due to the well documented ownership not spending money issue. I'm sure if he had the luxury of 70 bodies just hanging around like some teams, you would have seen considerably more changes. He benched both Hazelton and Gurley at different times last season, so I really don't get how he doesn't hold guys accountable.

As for the check down issue, I don't get that either. It's not like a check down is the first read. I would prefer a check down when the initial read isn't open over forcing a ball into coverage. Statistics have shown that the team that turns over the ball less, wins more often than not.

R.J
03-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Well I for one, like Milanovich. This entire notion that he is soft on players, I don't get. I've seen him blow up at players during practice. There really isn't much he has had the ability to do the last few years due to the well documented ownership not spending money issue. I'm sure if he had the luxury of 70 bodies just hanging around like some teams, you would have seen considerably more changes. He benched both Hazelton and Gurley at different times last season, so I really don't get how he doesn't hold guys accountable.

As for the check down issue, I don't get that either. It's not like a check down is the first read. I would prefer a check down when the initial read isn't open over forcing a ball into coverage. Statistics have shown that the team that turns over the ball less, wins more often than not.
I agree with the first part AV, but there has to be a reason as to why the Argonauts are always in the lower third for penalties. Maybe it's the character of the players Barker's bringing in - I don't know.

No team checks down as much as the Argonauts. Once again, there has to be a reason for this and as to why the Argonauts run so many screens and flats. Before anyone asks - I haven't missed a CFL game in 8 years.

Playing not to lose should not be commended IMO.

gilthethrill
03-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Milanovich is too soft on Frank Z!!! Tell him to show up before practice & not when there is only 5 minutes left!!!

paulwoods13
03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Forgive me for wanting my favourite team and it's offense to be better than mediocre.

I want that, too. But describing it as an "offence" is more damning than saying you want it to be better than middle of the pack. Quotation marks denote bitter sarcasm, as if it isn't an offence at all. If the fifth-best offence (statistically) warrants that degree of disdain, what do the sixth through ninth warrant?

R.J
03-18-2016, 04:48 PM
I want that, too. But describing it as an "offence" is more damning than saying you want it to be better than middle of the pack. Quotation marks denote bitter sarcasm, as if it isn't an offence at all. If the fifth-best offence (statistically) warrants that degree of disdain, what do the sixth through ninth warrant?
Point taken.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8