Jan 7 -2015 Paris France, 12 Killed,9 Injured

Jan 9 -2015 Paris France,4 Killed

Mar 18-2015 Tunis Tunisia, 22 Killed

Jun 26 -2015 Sousse, Tunisia 38 Killed

July 16 - 2015 Chattanooga,TN 5 Killed

Oct 31 - 2015 Egypt, 224 Killed

Nov 13th - 2015 Paris France 130 Killed, 368 injured

Dec 2 - 2015 San Bernadino CA 14 Killed 22 injured

This doesnt count the many many people killed by radical islam in sub-sahara africa.

And the 3 Canadian servicemen who were killed. (Thankfully the soldiers stabbed the other day in Toronto will be ok)

How can these terrorists/murders be defeated? Is it even possible? How do you fight a foe who is underground?

Double Dare
03-23-2016, 12:45 PM
How can these terrorists/murders be defeated? Is it even possible? How do you fight a foe who is underground? Conventional warfare doesn't work. It hasn't in many decades (eg. Korea, Vietnam, and every war since). Guerilla/subversive warfare on the same level as ISIS might.

argonaut11xx
03-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Conventional warfare doesn't work. It hasn't in many decades (eg. Korea, Vietnam, and every war since). Guerilla/subversive warfare on the same level as ISIS might.

Im not saying i disagree with your comments, but would that not make us terrorists as well?

Double Dare
03-23-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm not saying I disagree with your comments, but would that not make us terrorists as well? Yes it would, definitely, but in some ways, I believe, "we" (the coalition, allies or whatever "we" are called now) are already into terrorism to some extent. Just not on the same level or the same way as ISIS, etc.

1argoholic
03-23-2016, 01:30 PM
How can you fight a battle against a very cult like ISIS who's people believe that by blowing themselves up and killing they will end up in a better greater place. WTF???? Notice how the old grey beard leaders aren't strapping on the explosive belts? It's time to carpet bomb the hell out of these bastards.

T-Bone
03-23-2016, 01:37 PM
How can you fight a battle against a very cult like ISIS who's people believe that by blowing themselves up and killing they will end up in a better greater place. WTF???? Notice how the old grey beard leaders aren't strapping on the explosive belts? It's time to carpet bomb the hell out of these bastards.

No, we can’t just ‘bomb the hell out of ISIS,’ Donald Trump (http://mashable.com/2015/11/18/why-we-cant-bomb-the-hell-out-of-isis-trump/#B3BvJnHLMGqX)

Donald Trump lays out his strategy for defeating the Islamic State which has taken responsibility for the Paris attacks that killed 129 people. His solution? "Bomb the hell out of ISIS."

Top U.S. general slams idea of carpet bombing ISIS (http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/02/politics/sean-macfarland-isis-carpet-bombing-cruz-trump/)

1argoholic
03-23-2016, 02:05 PM
At this point ISIS strong holds are surely fairly free of innocent folks as they have fled big time. You can't just drop a bomb here and there and hope to knock down the biggest world threat since Hitler and his band of murderers. Nothing more frustrating then seeing this on the news nightly. Not enough is being done and many European countries let ISIS members come and go freely. Time to wake the hell up. If you know of ISIS members, do not let them back into your countries once they leave.Prime example the guys in Belgium yesterday.

argonaut11xx
03-23-2016, 02:15 PM
The radicals tend to hide with the women and children knowing that "the west" doesnt want to bomb so called civilian targets.

IMO it would be the same carpet bombing the allies did to Dresden in WW2, they carpet bombed a city, man woman child, and all the factories around them. It was horrific, and by todays standards it would be labelled a "war crime". But it went a long way in de-nazifing the german population.

Maybe carpet bombing would help in the un-radicallizing?

I have no idea, and am just sickened after Belgium, and the stabbing in Toronto. It has to stop.

Will
03-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Was the bombing of Dresden effective in and of itself though? Remember that a large-scale ground campaign had to be launched by both the Western Allies on D-Day and by the Soviet Union. Now certainly by the end of the war the Germans were struggling to feed the population or supply their troops in the field, but I'm not sure if it is as simple as saying that it resulted from the carpet bombing of its cities.

argonaut11xx
03-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Was the bombing of Dresden effective in and of itself though? Remember that a large-scale ground campaign had to be launched by both the Western Allies on D-Day and by the Soviet Union. Now certainly by the end of the war the Germans were struggling to feed the population or supply their troops in the field, but I'm not sure if it is as simple as saying that it resulted from the carpet bombing of its cities.

1250 heavy bombers, i'd suggest a big part of the mission was to destroy the spirit of the german people, and frankly it worked. It happened in Feb 1945,the war was basically over, as D-Day was June 1944.

argolio
03-25-2016, 02:54 PM
1250 heavy bombers, i'd suggest a big part of the mission was to destroy the spirit of the german people, and frankly it worked. It happened in Feb 1945,the war was basically over, as D-Day was June 1944.All Dresden did was kill a lot of civilians for nothing. Today that would be called a war crime.

The war was basically over when the Germans lost the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. If Hitler wasn't still in charge, the German generals likely would have surrendered soon after that.

argonaut11xx
03-25-2016, 06:05 PM
All Dresden did was kill a lot of civilians for nothing. Today that would be called a war crime.

The war was basically over when the Germans lost the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. If Hitler wasn't still in charge, the German generals likely would have surrendered soon after that.

That was my point exactly.

But carpet bombing the citizens of dresden did help in breaking the spirit of many nazi supporters.

Would it work to help destroy the spirit of radical islam? probably, but as we both said in todays world it would most likely be considered a war crime.

AngeloV
03-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Knowingly killing civilians is never a good option. I don't know what the solution is, but carpet bombing is not it.

Double Dare
03-26-2016, 07:07 AM
I think he was just yanking your chains about "carpet bombing".

Like I said, this is the way to go: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35899711
Even though the heads of the Hydra keep getting decapitated, another grows back, but eventually there will not be any more heads. (wow, profound : ) )

T-Bone
03-26-2016, 11:20 AM
I think he was just yanking your chains about "carpet bombing".
First Renata Ford and now 1argoholic, they can speak for themselves. Also, joking about carpet bombing innocent people not funny in my book but you're free to enjoy it.

Like I said, this is the way to go: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35899711
Even though the heads of the Hydra keep getting decapitated, another grows back, but eventually there will not be any more heads. (wow, profound : ) )
I've seen Captain America, but I agree that is progress.

Will
03-26-2016, 04:17 PM
All Dresden did was kill a lot of civilians for nothing. Today that would be called a war crime.

I don't think the Western Allies would have entertained a separate surrender at that time. The real collapse of Wehrmacht resistance in the west occurred when the Allies crossed the Rhine. I don't know if the Soviet advance had crossed into Germany by that point, but we know that German troops were much more eager to surrender to the US, UK or our troops as the Soviets weren't exactly adherents of the Geneva Convention. The irony is that German POW numbers became such that the Western Allies reclassified them from POW's to a different term so as to avoid following the Geneva Convention.

1argoholic
03-27-2016, 06:01 PM
War is sad!!! I cry when I watch the news. Easter has me warm and fuzzy.

1argoholic
03-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Hugs! Not Bombs!!! These people need to feel important,loved and like they belong.

1argoholic
03-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Take an ISIS member out for diner and try and talk some sense into them.

jerrym
04-03-2016, 07:21 PM
PBS Frontline had an excellent broadcast last week on the war-mongering, misogyny, poverty, religious persecution and torture under the rule of the Saudi royal family, who use the extremist Wahabist form of Islam to justify their actions.
It's worse than I even thought. For example, school textbooks for 14-year olds say "All Christians should be punished with death until there are no more left" and "Shia are blasphemers. They should be punished with death".
The video can be found at
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/saudi-arabia-uncovered/

7dj83r8f78t4alf8