PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Jim Barker Evaluating Cheerleaders Instead of Football Players?

Area 51
03-25-2012, 01:47 AM
I would have thought scouting for some new DLinemen and LBs would be more of a priority than figuring out the 30 woman cheerleading squad. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering this is the same guy who decided it was more important to spend the bye week watching Broadway theatre rather than trying to fix a 2-6 ball team.

Looking forward to hearing how the Barker apologists shrug this one off. Was this his idea of being inclusive of women in the organization to try and make amends for his wrongful dismissal lawsuit? Was he there offering dietary suggestions and fitness advice?

http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/63539

Mulder
03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
I would have thought scouting for some new DLinemen and LBs would be more of a priority than figuring out the 30 woman cheerleading squad. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering this is the same guy who decided it was more important to spend the bye week watching Broadway theatre rather than trying to fix a 2-6 ball team.

Looking forward to hearing how the Barker apologists shrug this one off. Was this his idea of being inclusive of women in the organization to try and make amends for his wrongful dismissal lawsuit? Was he there offering dietary suggestions and fitness advice?

So he takes 2 days off in the off-season for which he has staff trained to look for players and your complaining?

Welcome back Mr Negativity.

ArgoZ
03-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I took today and yesterday off. I got an oil change, switched to summer tires and hooked up our new TV. I wish I could have judged cheerleaders though. That would have been something fun to do with my life.

AngeloV
03-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Really, what is your problem? Did Barker steal your girlfriend or something? Or do you just have to find new things to complain about every day?

RoRoYoBoat
03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Nothing tragic here but you would be hard pressed to find another GM agreeing to this. If it was me. I would have sent my wife.

Come to think of it Tillman would have.

Will
03-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't feel that Barker needed to be there--I can't say it offends me as much as Area 51 that he was however.

Mulder
03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't feel that Barker needed to be there--I can't say it offends me as much as Area 51 that he was however.

We could score a game winning td on the last play of the game by an amazing catch/run by whoever, and Area 51 would be criticizing the missed block on that play, even though the defender never got within 5 feet of the quarterback.

1argoholic
03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Hey Area 51 remember when I got ripped for wondering about Broadway Barker last year? I actually think we could be doing more about DL. I hope to hear more news coming soon.
Barker is a vegetarian. So he most likely talked to the gals about that.

Midnight Blue
03-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Area 51,

I say ... I do believe you're developing a sense of humour.... Cheer O !

Actually, I think you've always had a wicked humour; it is the essence of a shit-disturber....

I love it. Drives many people crazy around here. Great fun.

Area 51
03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
We could score a game winning td on the last play of the game by an amazing catch/run by whoever, and Area 51 would be criticizing the missed block on that play, even though the defender never got within 5 feet of the quarterback.

And "we" could finish with the worst defence in the league, play a couple games shorthanded because there's not enough NIs, miss the playoffs...wait a minute, isn't that what just happened?

This is something Trestman could get away with - - he's got the rings and division titles and his performance speaks for itself. But does anyone think Trestman would do something like this, even with his accomplishments? I wonder if there's any correlation between there?

People find my "negativity" to be upsetting? Guess what, I find a 6-12 record with a pitiful offence and defence and 10,000 in the stands to be upsetting.

But feel free to keep your head buried in the sand while waving your pom-poms.

Hey Area 51 remember when I got ripped for wondering about Broadway Barker last year?

Exactly. It's just a little thing, no big deal right? My problem is that when you start adding up all the minor things, they become a major issue. Don't worry about the offence or the defence being worst in the league - - we're going to make sure we've got the best damn cheerleading squad in the CFL!

"Everything we do is done with the sole purpose of winning a Grey Cup"

That's a cute little cliche to appease the pom-pom wavers, but I have to question what scouting the cheerleaders has to do with winning a Grey Cup.

RoRoYoBoat
03-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I think Barker is a wannabee but you can't argue he's had a good off season. The last few months have been his best work since he got into the league.

I have no faith at all that he will spend the time on the road, airports busting his butt scouting and that is a very important part of his job rebuilding a team. He's given up his HC duties, he's hired a personnel guy. Rudge has the business side well in hand. He will need to do more than shuffle some paperwork to earn his keep. By my count the last few months just make up for the two years of BS.

AngeloV
03-25-2012, 03:10 PM
The fact of the matter is that nobody should work 24/7/365. I think some people on here seem to forget that. You're only allowed to bring a certain number of players into camp, and the Argos are almost there. I'm sure Barker's taking in said event, won't let some other team beat him to a prospect. This was NO BIG F'N DEAL, but The man that likely even hates himself decided to make it a big deal.

KCargosfan
03-25-2012, 03:43 PM
It's March, who cares?

Area 51
03-25-2012, 04:38 PM
The fact of the matter is that nobody should work 24/7/365. I think some people on here seem to forget that. You're only allowed to bring a certain number of players into camp, and the Argos are almost there. I'm sure Barker's taking in said event, won't let some other team beat him to a prospect. This was NO BIG F'N DEAL, but The man that likely even hates himself decided to make it a big deal.

How many hours do you figure the average coach or GM of a professional football franchise puts in each week....45? Maybe 50? Woah, that's a lot. Better have them slow down and scale back to something more reasonable like 37.5hrs with paid lunches. Don't forget vacation time - - at least one week off during the season to relax and take in some theatre. A 40hr work week is fine if you've got a 9-to-5 job, but this is professional football.

The roster page lists 58 players. If Toronto's allowed to have 75 under contract, where are the other 17 hiding?

But this is the same guy who took almost two years to realize Chip Lemon was hopeless as a starting QB, so maybe it's best to just have Barker evaluating cheerleaders and leave the player evaluation to more competent scouts.

It's March, who cares?

Great point. Until you mentioned it, I didn't realize there's more than three months until the season starts.

No point in being concerned about the draft since the Argos have no first round pick. And I don't think pre season and intra squad stats count, so what's the sense in bringing in talent for training camp?

I think Barker is a wannabee but you can't argue he's had a good off season. The last few months have been his best work since he got into the league.

No question Barker had a fantastic start to the off season bringing in Barnes & Ricky Ray. Unfortunately, he failed with free agency. Can't let your best OLineman walk while bringing in nothing of comparative value and consider it to be an improvement.

It's as if all the work putting together the Ricky Ray deal winded Barker and he's had to stop and catch his breath for a few months.

Will
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
No question Barker had a fantastic start to the off season bringing in Barnes & Ricky Ray. Unfortunately, he failed with free agency. Can't let your best OLineman walk while bringing in nothing of comparative value and consider it to be an improvement.

It's as if all the work putting together the Ricky Ray deal winded Barker and he's had to stop and catch his breath for a few months.

You mean Picard specifically. I think you said you didn't mine Coughman taking over from Murphy. The Argos brought in those two guys, but I don't know whether there anything beyond depth.

KCargosfan
03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Great point. Until you mentioned it, I didn't realize there's more than three months until the season starts.

No point in being concerned about the draft since the Argos have no first round pick. And I don't think pre season and intra squad stats count, so what's the sense in bringing in talent for training camp?

Did Barker kill your dog or something? Again, outside of you, who cares if Barker took a couple of hours to be a judge?

And if you didn't realize there's more than 3 months, you need to look at a calendar more :)

1argoholic
03-25-2012, 07:28 PM
I've been thinking about the D Line since the season ended and Barker has done squat about it. Ray alone isn't going to win you games. The leg work done in the off season is what ends up showing up on the field during the season. Barker is against signing other teams free agents. You can't be close minded. You have to look at all avenues when rebuilding your team. If I was Barker I'd be copying Wally. He'll find talent out of Jr ball, CFL free agents, tryout camps, trades or whatever. I think after that burst of signing on new coaches, a few new receivers and the big Ray deal he's done very little. We've signed nobody in over a month. I was hoping to hear that they had found some guys to bring into camp to push the D lineman that we have. Perhaps it's in the plans but as I sit right now it'll be hard for us to even think of being in the Grey Cup this year. I'm a realist and just hope for improvement. It's very rare to be in the Grey cup you host let alone win it. BC is the last team to do it last year and in 94 so I don't expect it to happen this year. I just want to see us heading in the proper direction unlike the friggin Leafs down the road. Perhaps some TO sports fans are just pissed with all the crap they've seen from their teams. I have ZERO issue with people expressing their thoughts. I'm more interested in seeing The Toronto Argonauts develop a fan base who wants to come down game in and game out to have fun win or lose. I always had fun going to games and it's about the other fans that you meet and look forward to seeing. It doesn't hurt to win.

ArgoRavi
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
I've been thinking about the D Line since the season ended and Barker has done squat about it. Ray alone isn't going to win you games. The leg work done in the off season is what ends up showing up on the field during the season. Barker is against signing other teams free agents. You can't be close minded. You have to look at all avenues when rebuilding your team. If I was Barker I'd be copying Wally. He'll find talent out of Jr ball, CFL free agents, tryout camps, trades or whatever. I think after that burst of signing on new coaches, a few new receivers and the big Ray deal he's done very little. We've signed nobody in over a month. I was hoping to hear that they had found some guys to bring into camp to push the D lineman that we have. Perhaps it's in the plans but as I sit right now it'll be hard for us to even think of being in the Grey Cup this year. I'm a realist and just hope for improvement. It's very rare to be in the Grey cup you host let alone win it. BC is the last team to do it last year and in 94 so I don't expect it to happen this year. I just want to see us heading in the proper direction unlike the friggin Leafs down the road. Perhaps some TO sports fans are just pissed with all the crap they've seen from their teams. I have ZERO issue with people expressing their thoughts. I'm more interested in seeing The Toronto Argonauts develop a fan base who wants to come down game in and game out to have fun win or lose. I always had fun going to games and it's about the other fans that you meet and look forward to seeing. It doesn't hurt to win.

Funny that you mention Wally as I don't think that Area 51 has much use for him either. Anyway, there are still more than two months before training camp and there will undoubtedly be many more signings. I agree with Barker that you don't build teams in this league through signing other teams' free agents. You build them through recruiting and drafting and that is what the Argos have been focused upon. Let's give them the next couple of months or so to round out their roster for training camp before we start raking them over the coals for not doing enough.

Midnight Blue
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Funny that you mention Wally as I don't think that Area 51 has much use for him either. Anyway, there are still more than two months before training camp and there will undoubtedly be many more signings. I agree with Barker that you don't build teams in this league through signing other teams' free agents. You build them through recruiting and drafting and that is what the Argos have been focused upon. Let's give them the next couple of months or so to round out their roster for training camp before we start raking them over the coals for not doing enough.

Would everyone on this forum (not just you, Ravi), PLEASE stop picking on Area 51.

The Man has feelings, you know.

(Actually he doesn't; he'd probably make a great GM, but we already have a GM.)

Humour aside, I agree, Ravi, that people should just chill, and allow the Management to do its job.

Cheers !

I took today and yesterday off. I got an oil change, switched to summer tires and hooked up our new TV. I wish I could have judged cheerleaders though. That would have been something fun to do with my life.

Not to worry, ArgoZ. Here's a tape of recent Montreal Alouettes' Cheerleader try-outs....

Fun, Wow! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0gb16apZQ

RoRoYoBoat
03-25-2012, 10:17 PM

I am certain scouting of defensive players is in the hands of Chris Jones who is running a number of camps down south. Argos have 58 guys registered with the leagues. They are short another 17 and another 12 on standby that would normally be rotated in during camp.

I think we will have a better idea of what is going on during mini-camp.

Don't count on Barker to identify talent on defense...

AngeloV
03-25-2012, 11:22 PM
How many hours do you figure the average coach or GM of a professional football franchise puts in each week....45? Maybe 50? Woah, that's a lot. Better have them slow down and scale back to something more reasonable like 37.5hrs with paid lunches. Don't forget vacation time - - at least one week off during the season to relax and take in some theatre. A 40hr work week is fine if you've got a 9-to-5 job, but this is professional football.

The roster page lists 58 players. If Toronto's allowed to have 75 under contract, where are the other 17 hiding?

But this is the same guy who took almost two years to realize Chip Lemon was hopeless as a starting QB, so maybe it's best to just have Barker evaluating cheerleaders and leave the player evaluation to more competent scouts.

Must really suck to be you. Is it true that you have a 3-3 record against yourself?

argolio
03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
The sky has fallen and I can't get up.

1argoholic
03-25-2012, 11:35 PM
What's the issue with a fan showing concerns.

argolio
03-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Reports show that Barker was spotted at a Tim Horton's last week and stayed for close to 90 minutes. He could have signed at least five guys in that time!

Nob
03-26-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't know about that. If he's looking for talent at the local Timmy's then this team is in big trouble......lol.

1argoholic
03-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Plus Tims is CRAP!!!!

ArgoGabe22
03-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Why was Barker at the town hall meeting? We missed out on Tebow because Jimbo couldn't resist the nachos lol

1argoholic
03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Tims is a huge corporation that has many Canadians sucked into their crap junk food and brown swamp water they like to call coffee.

Ron
03-26-2012, 05:07 PM

For a normal GM you'd be right. But Barker has shown himself to be wanting to keep his fingers in every Argo pie.

- On the one hand he allegedly shows disrespect to women in the "dismissal" scandal ... but he hungrily shows support when it comes to looking at them as meat objects.

- He shows up to the Town Hall and allegedly takes it upon himself to answer questions about how players will be used instead of saying that it is the HC's job .. so ask the HC instead. Nope, why miss the chance to make a paying customer look dumb (By putting them on a spot they weren't expecting in such a proceeding) in front of a large crowd?

But that ties into his past comment that the new HC is the only guy he trusts with "HIS" offense. Leading many to wonder aloud whether he will always be a meddler.

- He's stated that TV documentary was a bad idea in hindsight. Allegedly the idea that the show exposed his darker side, (though he was on his best behaviour with a camera on him) as well as his obvious expectations of allegedly pushing injured players to push harder in practice than they should. Don't matter what you do in game ... you better practice fully even when hurting.

So keep up the good work 51. Every site needs someone who will expose the real issues about the real team, in real time.

ArgoRavi
03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Interesting that Barker says about Byron Parker what Area 51 has been saying for some time now on here: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/26/argos-jim-barker-happy-to-let-new-coach-scott-milanovich-take-the-reins/

AngeloV
03-26-2012, 09:57 PM
What's the issue with a fan showing concerns.

Nothing, except in this case it's complaining for the sake of complaining. He makes you look incredibly optimistic.

Interesting that Barker says about Byron Parker what Area 51 has been saying for some time now on here: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/26/argos-jim-barker-happy-to-let-new-coach-scott-milanovich-take-the-reins/

I don't buy that. I think Barker is just doing the political thing. They likely had to go cheaper at that position to fit in with the SMS.

OV Argo
03-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I don't buy that. I think Barker is just doing the political thing. They likely had to go cheaper at that position to fit in with the SMS.

Yeah - Bouno, Benevides, Stubler and the GC Champs Lions must be making a big mistake showing interest in Parker for a shot on their weak D.

1argoholic
03-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Barker came across like a used car salemen or polititian in the article for sure. No crap OV. I know people have to look at the bight side and hope for an improved team but I really don't see Grey Cup 100 in the cards for this group. Why Barkers slinging this sounds so political. He talks in circles. Maybe I should stop posting because I'm just pissed with the world these days and it shows bigtime. My hate of where I'm stuck living has me crapping on everything.

Nob
03-27-2012, 12:48 AM
1argoholic - and here I thought that I was the only one miserable for being stuck in this land that time forgot, otherwise known as BC??!!?? Maybe we should form a club?

KCargosfan
03-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Reports show that Barker was spotted at a Tim Horton's last week and stayed for close to 90 minutes. He could have signed at least five guys in that time!

Agreed. Barker should just be drug out in the street and shot.

argolio
03-27-2012, 02:15 AM
On the one hand he allegedly shows disrespect to women in the "dismissal" scandal ... but he hungrily shows support when it comes to looking at them as meat objects.Or meet objects perhaps?

argonaut11xx
03-27-2012, 08:51 AM
this is the same guy who took almost two years to realize Chip Lemon was hopeless as a starting QB, so maybe it's best to just have Barker evaluating cheerleaders

Did any check and see if "Cleo" was trying out for the squad?, maybe Jimmy was there for moral support?

RoRoYoBoat
03-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Agreed. Barker should just be drug out in the street and shot.

Barker had one good season and one bad. I think he should be judged on the improvements the team makes this season. It is a team effort like he says and I am excited to see what they come up with. Do I expect them to be in the GC this year? NO. I do expect them to be competititve and win their share of ball games. You never know what teams will get hit with rash of injuries so a competitive team always has a shot. A lot of the success on this team ride on Chris Jones building a young defense in a hurry and Barker fixing the oline. Those two markers are what I will be looking at from now to the end of July.

I think fans need to get behind them because if fans don't who will ?

1argoholic
03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Nob it's getting worse by the day. Friggin Vit D does squat for my mood anymore. Didn't know what it was until I moved here and had to deal with the so called winter weather. BC is strange indeed but at least you have a productive job. My landscape company has struggled bigtime. Being college educated and all about nature means zero in Duncan.

AngeloV
03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Barker had one good season and one bad. I think he should be judged on the improvements the team makes this season.

Basically, that's all I've been trying to say.

KCargosfan
03-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Barker had one good season and one bad. I think he should be judged on the improvements the team makes this season. It is a team effort like he says and I am excited to see what they come up with. Do I expect them to be in the GC this year? NO. I do expect them to be competititve and win their share of ball games. You never know what teams will get hit with rash of injuries so a competitive team always has a shot. A lot of the success on this team ride on Chris Jones building a young defense in a hurry and Barker fixing the oline. Those two markers are what I will be looking at from now to the end of July.

I think fans need to get behind them because if fans don't who will ?

I agree with everything you said.

I was being sarcastic with my comment, which was playing off the great sarcastic comment by argolio.

RoRoYoBoat
03-27-2012, 11:33 PM
I agree with everything you said.

I was being sarcastic with my comment, which was playing off the great sarcastic comment by argolio.

I know... Just important to remember what's at stake here. Next two years will decide on the survival of CFL football in Toronto. BTW you guys can BBQ ribs out there...

KCargosfan
03-27-2012, 11:58 PM
I know... Just important to remember what's at stake here. Next two years will decide on the survival of CFL football in Toronto. BTW you guys can BBQ ribs out there...

Right on. ... Yeah, the BBQ here is pretty insane. Growing up here you don't realize it until you go other places. You can literally do a BBQ tour here if you wanted to, though I'm not sure how healthy it would be, haha.

argolio
03-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Mmmmm, BBQ ribs! :snack:

Argocister
03-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Mmmmm, BBQ ribs! :snack:

Best post yet!

RoRoYoBoat
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Right on. ... Yeah, the BBQ here is pretty insane. Growing up here you don't realize it until you go other places. You can literally do a BBQ tour here if you wanted to, though I'm not sure how healthy it would be, haha.

We'll have to keep Barker and his endangered gastric bypass out of KC :shhhh:

Ron
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Has anyone ever seen Area 51 and Barker together?

1argoholic
03-28-2012, 06:26 PM
hahahaha. Barker was born in an Area in 51. I think we got it. haha.

KCargosfan
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
We'll have to keep Barker and his endangered gastric bypass out of KC :shhhh:

haha, If he came here he'd stop being a vegetarian immediately.

RoRoYoBoat
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Boss Hog Barker :fart:

R.J
03-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Boss Hog Barker :fart:
lol so who'd be Enos ?

Midnight Blue
03-29-2012, 12:02 AM
lol so who'd be Enos ?

Ron MacLean.

UncleFester
03-29-2012, 10:43 PM
I am certain scouting of defensive players is in the hands of Chris Jones who is running a number of camps down south. Argos have 58 guys registered with the leagues. They are short another 17 and another 12 on standby that would normally be rotated in during camp.

I think we will have a better idea of what is going on during mini-camp.

Don't count on Barker to identify talent on defense...

Bingo. Jones is the assistant GM and will obviously identify the guys he wants to bring to camp to fit his system.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8