PDA

View Full Version : Why Offensive Linemen will Dominate the 2016 Draft

jerrym
04-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Once again, and in fact to an even greater extent than usual, mock drafts predict that offensive linemen will once again dominate the 2016 draft. A safe prediction, especially this year.

The 2016 CFL Canadian Draft is approaching quickly and there’s a theme starting to emerge.

Getting offensive (linemen)
CFL.ca’s latest mock draft was published last week and it doesn’t take an actuary to pick up on the overwhelming theme. It’s hard to miss that seven of the first nine selections as projected by Justin Dunk are offensive lineman. Whether offensive lineman dominate the first round quite like that come May is yet to be seen, but it’s definitely a telling sign. And it’s a trend that has been building for quite some time:
OFFENSIVE LINEMEN PICKED IN ROUND 1

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;">
YEAR
OL

</tbody>

Even with a dip here and there, you can see that teams have honed in on early offensive lineman picks steadily over the last seven years. Certain teams, like the Calgary Stampeders, have almost made it a rite of passage to select an offensive lineman in the first round. With John Murphy having swapped red and white for green, it’s not a leap at all to think the Riders would follow a similar path with their first overall pick.
So why has this started to become more and more of a trend in recent years? I think there are a few different reasons. First off, this country produces some really good players at the position. Over the last number of years, some of the best linemen in the league have been Canadian. From Chris Best and Josh Bourke to Brett Jones and Scott Flory, this country has pumped out some darn good players at the position.
Because of that, ratio advantages can present themselves. The ability to have Canadian talent at crucial positions like left tackle and centre allows a team to focus its international spots to other slots where there might not be as much Canadian depth, like running back and defensive back.
It’s no coincidence the most consistently high-end teams over the last decade (Montreal, Calgary, Saskatchewan) have made a habit of stacking their lines with national talent. It’s a position where multiple Canadian players can thrive simultaneously allowing for a more diverse mix throughout the rest of the team.
Now, every year isn’t going to be quite this stacked on the top end with offensive line products. Every year is different and 2016 just happens to be extremely strong, thanks in large part to an incredible graduating group from Laval. Most CFL teams have determined just how important it is stock up on offensive linemen at the Canadian Draft.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/28/steinbergs-mmqb-o-linemen-will-dominate-round-1/

OV Argo
04-05-2016, 01:40 AM
Once again, and in fact to an even greater extent than usual, mock drafts predict that offensive linemen will once again dominate the 2016 draft. A safe prediction, especially this year.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/28/steinbergs-mmqb-o-linemen-will-dominate-round-1/

O-linemen will continue to dominate the CFL draft as long as CFL thinkers want to deploy 3 or 4 of them as starters - a large position group. The Als have continued to stock up on NI O-linemen (like the Stamps have), and have been able to start 5 NIs there, and might be able to continue to do so even with the loss of a league best type OT in Bourke.

Good O-line crop this year, but I might argue the D-line crop this year is as good or better = a couple of outstanding DTs in Onyemata & Abdesmad (both probably NFL bound), plus a number of other good DTs, and one top notch DE maybe in Corney (Virginia) - Div I starter with some superb athletic testing #s.

doubleblue
04-05-2016, 09:14 AM
IMO the main reason teams look for Canadian OLinemen is it is a lot easier to teach a 6'4 300 lb guy to pass block than find a player at one of the "skill" position who can run a 4.4 plus have the size and talent to go with it. Ever since they changed the rules to allow O-Linemen to use their hands to block (and maybe hold a little) it became easier for less talented players to pass block effectively.

R.J
04-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Offensive linemen are coveted in the CFL and this in draft I don't see anything changing, but as OV mentioned there are some other top end players in this years draft. I suppose what might make this years first round very OL heavy is Smith, Onyemata and Colquhoun getting some serious looks down south (I don't expect to see Onyematta in the CFL for a long while), so at best they'll be draft in rounds 2-4.

OV Argo
04-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Offensive linemen are coveted in the CFL and this in draft I don't see anything changing, but as OV mentioned there are some other top end players in this years draft. I suppose what might make this years first round very OL heavy is Smith, Onyemata and Colquhoun getting some serious looks down south (I don't expect to see Onyematta in the CFL for a long while), so at best they'll be draft in rounds 2-4.

Smith was nowhere to be found in the top 50 even on most NFL draft receiver prospect lists; that might have changed with the blazing speed times he posted at his Pro day for the scouts.

Colquhon is not exactly a highly rated NFL draft cornerback prospect either.

Still - the NFL draft and subsequent free agent signings SHOULD IMO have a big bearing on CFL draft thinking. With bigger NFL rosters now and players often trying to stick on various PRs for some time as well, I'd stay wayyyyy away from pretty well any guy who has gotten some decent NFL interest - with first few rounds CFL picks, if I was a CFL GM. Look at the Bombers still waiting on Mulumba and Bilukidi for example - might never see them; and this is happening more often, seems to me, as opposed to lucking out and getting your CFL draft pick to show up (like Greenwood did or Vaughn Martin recently for the Als). It's a gamble that some CFL GMs might be willing to take though. I'd prefer having a guy to compete in TC in an area of need.

And wether McEwen gets an NFL call, should IMO affect Argo draft thinking as well.

R.J
04-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Smith was nowhere to be found in the top 50 even on most NFL draft receiver prospect lists; that might have changed with the blazing speed times he posted at his Pro day for the scouts.

Colquhon is not exactly a highly rated NFL draft cornerback prospect either.

Still - the NFL draft and subsequent free agent signings SHOULD IMO have a big bearing on CFL draft thinking. With bigger NFL rosters now and players often trying to stick on various PRs for some time as well, I'd stay wayyyyy away from pretty well any guy who has gotten some decent NFL interest - with first few rounds CFL picks, if I was a CFL GM. Look at the Bombers still waiting on Mulumba and Bilukidi for example - might never see them; and this is happening more often, seems to me, as opposed to lucking out and getting your CFL draft pick to show up (like Greenwood did or Vaughn Martin recently for the Als). It's a gamble that some CFL GMs might be willing to take though. I'd prefer having a guy to compete in TC in an area of need.

And wether McEwen gets an NFL call, should IMO affect Argo draft thinking as well.
I don't recall stating that they were going to be drafted by the NFL. Pretty sure players can be invited to an NFL camp without being drafted in their draft year; nor do they need to be highly rated for the NFL draft.

OV Argo
04-05-2016, 03:35 PM
I don't recall stating that they were going to be drafted by the NFL. Pretty sure players can be invited to an NFL camp without being drafted in their draft year; nor do they need to be highly rated for the NFL draft.

???

I said NFL draftees and free agent signings (which could include I guess rookie mini camp invitees - but they are not as big an NFL roster chance threat). These guys I would stay away from in the early rounds of the CFL draft if I were a CFL GM; you are free to disagree with that thinking of course.

Do you mean CIS players can get invited to an NFL camp without being drafted in their draft year? - the NFL cannot invite any NCAA player unless it is their draft year (or they declare early).

R.J
04-05-2016, 03:52 PM
???

I said NFL draftees and free agent signings (which could include I guess rookie mini camp invitees - but they are not as big an NFL roster chance threat). These guys I would stay away from in the early rounds of the CFL draft if I were a CFL GM; you are free to disagree with that thinking of course.

Do you mean CIS players can get invited to an NFL camp without being drafted in their draft year? - the NFL cannot invite any NCAA player unless it is their draft year (or they declare early).
Just pointing out that the 3 names I mentioned are getting NFL looks currently, seemed to have impressed. Abdesmad currently isn't getting the same treatment as those 3 and his stock is going down. Yes for the second part.

OV Argo
04-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Just pointing out that the 3 names I mentioned are getting NFL looks currently, seemed to have impressed. Abdesmad currently isn't getting the same treatment as those 3 and his stock is going down. Yes for the second part.

I've seen Abdesmad rated in the top 20 of some DT prospect lists; never seen Smith anywhere close to that high; or Colquhon. As you point out though -draft stocks do go up or down closer to draft day. I believe Onyemata is really on the rise; I've also seen Vaillancourt on some guard lists.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8