PDA

View Full Version : Are the Argo Signings Filling the Team with Too Many Aging Stars

jerrym
04-04-2016, 09:22 PM
With the signing and resigning of so many players 30 or older, the question arises as whether the Argos have too many key players who are 30 or older - an age when decline and injury are common. Consider the age of the following signees: Bourke (33), Brown (35), Greenwood (30), Hickman (30), Ray (36), Raymond (33), Smith (36), and Whitaker (30).

Argo57
04-04-2016, 09:53 PM
With the signing and resigning of so many players 30 or older, the question arises as whether the Argos have too many key players who are 30 or older - an age when decline and injury are common. Consider the age of the following signees: Bourke (33), Brown (35), Greenwood (30), Hickman (30), Ray (36), Raymond (33), Smith (36), and Whitaker (30).

Good teams have a mix of youth and experience, most of the players listed play key positions and should provide leadership for the teams youth.

ArgoRavi
04-05-2016, 12:41 AM
This was a pretty young team last year. As Argo57 says, the inclusion of these vets should provide more leadership which this team may have lacked a little of last season. Looking at the list, the only new older players to the Argos are Bourke, Brown, Hickman and Raymond. Of course, the team lost Chad Owens who was part of the 30+ set.

AngeloV
04-05-2016, 12:11 PM
With the way free agency works in the CFL, it is impossible to lock players up for more than a year or 2 (why would a player sign long term with no contract guarantees). For this reason, it's hard to put too much worry into the age of a player, as rosters will be changing a great deal from year to year IMO.

R.J
04-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Stubler does love his veterans on defence, but honestly I don't really see a big issue here; Barker filled some gaps with some solid veterans. The only signing I can't get behind is Jerald Brown - 35 years old, ran into some injury trouble last season, IMO is not that good of a player and slow, but Bourke, resigning Greenwood, Ray and Whitaker were good moves. I've also come around on the Raymond signing - he's perfect for Stubler's defence and is a very smart defender; a future coach IMO.

bluto
04-05-2016, 03:37 PM
With the way free agency works in the CFL, it is impossible to lock players up for more than a year or 2 (why would a player sign long term with no contract guarantees). For this reason, it's hard to put too much worry into the age of a player, as rosters will be changing a great deal from year to year IMO.

Pretty much that.

I like the sort of personnel moves we've made so far. I like that nobody is paying us any mind. If Ricky and our skill players on O stay healthy I think we're a real dark horse this season. 4th new defence in 4 years... but defence is always playing at their peak before offence is and I think that Stubler has one last great defence in him.

Wobbler
04-06-2016, 12:07 AM
It's a good question that is worthy of off-season discussion. But considering that Toronto is hosting the GC this year and that Barker could be partially forgiven for thinking short-term, I think the off-season moves have been quite responsible.

True, we've brought in a couple of guys who won't be in the league in 2018, but we've let an equal number go.

AngeloV
04-06-2016, 11:53 AM
True, we've brought in a couple of guys who won't be in the league in 2018, but we've let an equal number go.

And IMO, you are going to see more of this on a yearly basis. Happens in the NFL as well, just not with the MAJOR stars. Such is life where there are no guaranteed contracts.

gilthethrill
04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
We must also keep in mind that these players still have to earn a roster spot.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8