PDA

View Full Version : Who lasts longer as GM, Burke or Barker?

1argoholic
03-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Barker because Burke must go at years end!! Why the question? Why the hell not! Since things are dull around here other than Area 51's good post.

DanTheFan
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I think Burke would be first to go. This coming out of pessimism and assuming the Leafs miss the playoffs yet again.

Thinking of other Toronto GMs, excluding the teams I don't really follow like FC and the Rock, the only one who I see having a secure job following each team's upcoming season is Alex Anthopolous.

AngeloV
03-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Neither should go IMO. The only problem Burke has had is the high hopes he has publicly had for his team. Everyone knew this team was a long ways away when he took over and they have a very young team. IMO, a couple of vets in the right area's are all they need.

As for Barker, give the guy a break. The whining that has gone on here is just killing me. All the crying about not bringing in quality players to replace some underachievers. How can anybody know that for sure? Had anybody ever heard of the Geroy Simon's, and the John Chick's (or closer to home, Jonathan Brown) of the world before they came here and became all-stars? If you say yes, chances are you are a liar. Wait until you see what newcomers make the team and see how they perform before you start complaining about lack of talent the man has brought in.

1argoholic
03-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Observation is not whining. My main issue is with the D line. He better bring in guys to push them. They blew last year. I don't want people getting their hopes all up that this team will make the Grey Cup. To rebuild while trying to push for that is unrealistic. Too many changes but they had to be made. I just want to see this team have a shot in the not so distant future.

R.J
03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Observation is not whining. My main issue is with the D line. He better bring in guys to push them. They blew last year. I don't want people getting their hopes all up that this team will make the Grey Cup. To rebuild while trying to push for that is unrealistic. Too many changes but they had to be made. I just want to see this team have a shot in the not so distant future.
Anything that isn't praising/worshiping the Argonauts is not accepted here, it is viewed as negative to point out that the Argos have major issues both on and off the field. IMO Chris Jones can only do so much and the Argos still have major issues on defence.

ArgoRavi
03-27-2012, 12:58 AM
The problem that some have is the expectation of others to have these problems all fixed by now. There is still a fair bit of the off-season left and the Argos are running free agent camps galore currently trying to find players. Can we at least give them a chance to do this before we crap all over them?

What I also find interesting is that some players who had subpar seasons in 2011 are being cut much less slack than others. Many seem to want Huntley, Wroten and Flemons released immediately but Byron Parker gets a pass although he too did not have his usual stellar season. Yes, I believe that Parker was hurting but so was Huntley.

KCargosfan
03-27-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't want people getting their hopes all up that this team will make the Grey Cup.

Don't think you have to worry about that.

argonaut11xx
03-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Hey....at least Barker has given the Argonauts thier first REAL quarterback since Flutie in 1998....

1argoholic
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh yah I'm excited that the O might finally be heading in the right direction.

AngeloV
03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Anything that isn't praising/worshiping the Argonauts is not accepted here, it is viewed as negative to point out that the Argos have major issues both on and off the field. IMO Chris Jones can only do so much and the Argos still have major issues on defence.

The point I was trying to make is that we really don't know weather or not any of the new players that are going to be brought in are going to turn into solid players. Just because they are not household names, doesn't mean the team hasn't done a good job in bringing in new talent (not to mention players that may be on the radar but not yet signed).

argotom
03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Burke should have been toast at the end of last year and most definitely after this years disaster.
I doubt the stupid MLSE will can him.

1argoholic
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Flutie was made for the CFL. I remember his first game as an Argo. We used to sit pretty high and I can remember watching him sprint towards our sideline and let go of a pass as I said, "where the hell is that going" only to have the receiver turn and have the ball land in his arms. Right then I knew we were in for some fun as fans. He would have torn the league up if he played his whole career in Canada.

argonaut11xx
03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Flutie was awesome..in BC..in Calgary..in Toronto....

and he got SCREWED worse than Bret Hart when he was in Buffalo....

Will
03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Flutie was awesome..in BC..in Calgary..in Toronto....

and he got SCREWED worse than Bret Hart when he was in Buffalo....

You know what? Buffalo has not had any success since.

Barker has more time than Burke, IMO, but I don't think Burke gets the ax after this season.

Midnight Blue
03-29-2012, 12:18 AM
The problem that some have is the expectation of others to have these problems all fixed by now. [...]

Hey Ravi, would you mind if I got that printed on a T-shirt?

And maybe on my Girlfriend's home-mirror as well?

In any case, I've started a "Ravi Quotes" section, saved on my computer.

1argoholic
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
That's deep. hahaha.

ArgoRavi
03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey Ravi, would you mind if I got that printed on a T-shirt?

And maybe on my Girlfriend's home-mirror as well?

In any case, I've started a "Ravi Quotes" section, saved on my computer.

You can sell those t-shirts and give me a cut of the profits. :D

7dj83r8f78t4alf8