PDA

View Full Version : Shame on CTV/TSN

argotom
04-10-2016, 07:33 PM
I couldn't believe it.
Both the CTV mother network and TSN are simulcasting the Masters this weekend.
Yesterday it was from 2-7 pm and today from 1-7pm.
All this over the top coverage for a US sport, that for me is not a sport.
Golf is leisure, it's like watching darts, poker and bowling.
These are not athletes, but I digress.
My beef is CTV providing this ridiculous amount of coverage when TSN is simulcasting the same.
The two will be lucky to combine 1 million viewers.
While the Grey Cup is constantly drawing 4+ million viewership and can't get on the main network.
There is absolutely no doubt the powers to be undersold the property yet again during the latest contract.
On top of which commissioner after commissioner fails to get the playoffs and GC game on the main network.
Again no doubt in my mind how the ad executives and various heads of programming and or sport are purposely keeping the league down a notch below the wannabe US sports.

Mookie Fan
04-10-2016, 11:44 PM
I couldn't believe it.
Both the CTV mother network and TSN are simulcasting the Masters this weekend.
Yesterday it was from 2-7 pm and today from 1-7pm.
All this over the top coverage for a US sport, that for me is not a sport.
Golf is leisure, it's like watching darts, poker and bowling.
These are not athletes, but I digress.
My beef is CTV providing this ridiculous amount of coverage when TSN is simulcasting the same.
The two will be lucky to combine 1 million viewers.
While the Grey Cup is constantly drawing 4+ million viewership and can't get on the main network.
There is absolutely no doubt the powers to be undersold the property yet again during the latest contract.
On top of which commissioner after commissioner fails to get the playoffs and GC game on the main network.
Again no doubt in my mind how the ad executives and various heads of programming and or sport are purposely keeping the league down a notch below the wannabe US sports.

It is an interesting issue. The argument given for keeping CFL games on only TSN and not CTV (from the broadcaster's point-of-view) seemed to be about ratings combined between the two channels, advertising revenue and compelling people to subscribe to pay TV packages to get TSN. This is what makes simulcasting the Masters a bit strange. Regardless of a lack of programming, why have the golf tournament on both channels? Why not just CTV, if the desire existed to have a bigger audience? The big difference is that the Masters is a short event, held only once a year. The CFL season is much longer, although the Grey Cup is a one-evening annual event.

CTV has had a huge amount of American programming for a very long time. I realize the Masters is a huge deal in the golf world, but dedicating 5 hours one day and 6 the next is very, very substantial coverage--even for CTV. I mean, even the Academy Awards is only about 4 hours. Of course, the Juno Awards, a Canadian music awards show, gets very little time on CTV. It gets only 2 hours, rather than the 3 or 4 hours it should get. Many major awards are awarded before the main show, and therefore many prominent Canadian recording artists (new and more established) don't get their special moment in front of Canadian viewers. All because there simply isn't nearly enough time to fit more awards into a two-hour show. The Junos used to be on CBC many years ago. I can't remember how long the main awards show was back then. My point being, Bell-owned CTV marginalizes Canadian music and other TV, not just sports like CFL football.

Personally I think it's time for a TV channel dedicated completely to Canadian sports. It would feature CFL, various CIS sports, and maybe even some high school sports, as well as other sports competitions. That could include of course different levels of hockey, lacrosse, soccer, basketball and so on. It could also feature international competitions that feature Canadian athletes (team and individual sports) located in Canada and around the world. This channel should be free over-the-air and on the internet. It should also be mandatory (included for free) in every company's pay TV packages in Canada--cable, satellite, fibe TV and so on. This would be so its success isn't dependent on viewership and ad-revenue for survival and it doesn't disappear like SUN TV. I'm not holding my breath, but we should already have this kind of channel, or potentially (even better) a group of channels like this. With digital signals over-the-air, several channels can exist over the same frequency, and obviously networks like TSN and Sportsnet now have multiple channels.

Ron
04-11-2016, 12:53 AM
The solution is to have the Grey Cup between 1-7pm leaving prime time free for CTV to do other things. Since the CFL wants to be in prime time ... then the only thing that can be done is to shut up about it.

ArgoZ
04-11-2016, 07:34 AM
Not a fair comparison. As Ron mentioned prime time is a big factor and we have debated the CTV Grey Cup numerous times. As far as the coverage of what many consider golf's most pretentious event, Bell has the rights and what else are they going to put on, on a slow Sunday afternoon that will get better ratings? I do think TSN could have showed some alternate programming though. It's possible that it is more cost efficient to broadcast the Masters on the main TSN feed, rather than some other sport that will get insignificant ratings.

Points on this forum can be made without trying to degrade other sports or franchises. I am quite sick of seeing the trend where a poster feels the need to take a shot at another avenue not named the Argonauts.

AngeloV
04-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Why are you getting so hot over this? The Grey Cup (as is every CFL game) is available to anyone that wants to watch. I don't know if you have noticed this, but TV coverage has changed over the years. Specialty channels are the thing now. To me, this is a complaint just for the sake of complaining. Can we just please stop whining about it?

ArgoGabe22
04-11-2016, 10:31 AM
I noticed TSN has a section on their site dedicated to video game tournaments and what not. Now that is not a sport.

PullTogether73
04-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Why are you getting so hot over this? The Grey Cup (as is every CFL game) is available to anyone that wants to watch. I don't know if you have noticed this, but TV coverage has changed over the years. Specialty channels are the thing now. To me, this is a complaint just for the sake of complaining. Can we just please stop whining about it?

Yes, every CFL game is available to anyone that wants to watch.
As was the Masters as it was being broadcast on TSN.
So why broadcast it on CTV at the same time as TSN?

I believe that argotom has a valid criticism, whether or not it was CFL-centred.
Should ABC and ESPN/Fox and Fox Sports/NBC and NBCSN, etc. show the same sporting event at the same time?
Weird decision on the part of CTV imo.

R.J
04-11-2016, 01:50 PM
I noticed TSN has a section on their site dedicated to video game tournaments and what not. Now that is not a sport.
Don't even get me started on the TSN Esports thing........................

OV Argo
04-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Yes, every CFL game is available to anyone that wants to watch.
As was the Masters as it was being broadcast on TSN.
So why broadcast it on CTV at the same time as TSN?

I believe that argotom has a valid criticism, whether or not it was CFL-centred.
Should ABC and ESPN/Fox and Fox Sports/NBC and NBCSN, etc. show the same sporting event at the same time?
Weird decision on the part of CTV imo.

The Masters is a very prestigious American & international sporting event. CTV head honcho types will fawn all over anything like that - "world class" don't ya know. The CFL is just a quaint little minor Canadian league to those wannabe types = not good enough for their main network - TSN will have to do.

Is what it is - and nothing wrong with argotom pointing it out; anybody on a CFL fan site not expecting some CFL fans to point out the obvious favortism shown towards American or other sports by some of our media and a corresponding lack of respect that a historic great CANADIAN sport receives - I don't get. Complain away CFL fans !

Mookie Fan
04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
The Masters is a very prestigious American & international sporting event. CTV head honcho types will fawn all over anything like that - "world class" don't ya know. The CFL is just a quaint little minor Canadian league to those wannabe types = not good enough for their main network - TSN will have to do.

Is what it is - and nothing wrong with argotom pointing it out; anybody on a CFL fan site not expecting some CFL fans to point out the obvious favortism shown towards American or other sports by some of our media and a corresponding lack of respect that a historic great CANADIAN sport receives - I don't get. Complain away CFL fans !

Good points. There is definitely a lack of respect for Canadian content on CTV. Many people don't have pay tv, and many who did are giving up paying for TV, or are using services like Netflix instead. Also many people who pay for TV packages don't get all of the TSN channels. The CFL is missing out on a lot of viewers who would otherwise have interest in the CFL product. Doesn't "CTV" stand for Canadian television? It is somewhat disturbing that someone can watch at least 2 NFL games on CTV over-the-air every Sunday and most of the NFL playoffs and Superbowl, but no CFL games. Many people growing up now will likely never or rarely see the CFL. They may never become fans, as many people fall in love with the CFL game as kids.

The NFL is smart. They make their game accessible and have many games on over-the-air television. This is increasingly important as it is harder and harder to get attention today in an environment saturated with entertainment options and other distractions. Casual fans are especially hard to capture.

It has been pointed out on this (or other?) CFL forum(s) that there once was a federal law that mandated that the Grey Cup game had to be broadcast over-the-air on both CTV and CBC, as not everyone in Canada got either CTV or CBC. Some only got one or the other. Some got both. There was a belief that every Canadian should be able to see the game if they wanted to. That was a long time ago. Now the Grey Cup game is on TSN, and TSN shows NFL scores on the bottom of the screen during the broadcast.

AngeloV
04-11-2016, 04:44 PM
I still don't get the outrage about this.

argotom
04-11-2016, 05:03 PM

So you don't think there is a US wannabe factor by the heads/executives/ad agencies in all of media to include TV here in the center of Canada?
If not, wow the old line about land for sale in the everglades, yes in the US.
On top of which I failed to mention how the golf was also on the CBS feed, channel 4 in Buffalo.
So 3 stations covering a tournament that the World Championship US media(here we go again) has determined to be the best in golf(??), again for me not a real sporting event.
Need I remind you during the playoffs and GC, CTV still showed then entire afternoon of NFL football.
Why not move the NFL to the TSN feed and show the playoffs and GC exclusively on the CTV network which as we all know has a larger audience.

Golden Fleece
04-11-2016, 05:28 PM
I get that TSN and other cable sports networks need their exclusive properties to attract a percentage of their subscribers. I still don't get why they don't broadcast the Grey Cup on CTV (even in prime time) when they could simultaneously market TSN and deliver millions of more viewers to their advertisers (adding $$$ to their bottom line). What may never happen again, but which would probably provide the CFL the best balance of exposure and rights fees would be to have a single game of the week broadcast on CBC or CTV to maintain contact with the casual fan who has cut the cord or will never subscribe to TSN.

argotom
04-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Not a fair comparison. As Ron mentioned prime time is a big factor and we have debated the CTV Grey Cup numerous times. As far as the coverage of what many consider golf's most pretentious event, Bell has the rights and what else are they going to put on, on a slow Sunday afternoon that will get better ratings? I do think TSN could have showed some alternate programming though. It's possible that it is more cost efficient to broadcast the Masters on the main TSN feed, rather than some other sport that will get insignificant ratings.

Points on this forum can be made without trying to degrade other sports or franchises. I am quite sick of seeing the trend where a poster feels the need to take a shot at another avenue not named the Argonauts.

I am not sure how to take that?
As far as I am concerned, I will take several shots at anything that is US sports and that some wannabe clown/executive has determined in this country is worthy above our disappearing institution(s).
The CFL is truly our sport, part of the very same Canadiana that is not defended enough.
And it's not like it has to be artificially propped up as it does well on TV. Just a level playing field.
In fact, an argument can also be made it should not be a level playing field as since when should US sports garner priority?
However, I wonder also how the vast majority here in the city of Toronto may not consider itself part of this country?
How very sad.
Why aren't more people including yourself doing its share to keep our traditions alive for the generations ahead?

argonaut11xx
04-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Say what you like, i very much enjoyed the coverage of the Masters, by TSN, watched most of it from Thursday onward.

That said i did switch to CBS for the final round on Sunday.

Its NOT CFL season,and quite frankly it was 4 days of an enjoyable TV experience. IMO much better than watching baseball.

(BTW,most of the TSN coverage was either based on a specific hole,or following a certain group)

paulwoods13
04-11-2016, 06:37 PM
I get that TSN and other cable sports networks need their exclusive properties to attract a percentage of their subscribers. I still don't get why they don't broadcast the Grey Cup on CTV (even in prime time) when they could simultaneously market TSN and deliver millions of more viewers to their advertisers (adding $$$ to their bottom line). What may never happen again, but which would probably provide the CFL the best balance of exposure and rights fees would be to have a single game of the week broadcast on CBC or CTV to maintain contact with the casual fan who has cut the cord or will never subscribe to TSN.

Here's why they don't simulcast the grey cup on ctv: at the same time it is on tsn, ctv is getting upwards of a million viewers watching its simulcast of programming on US networks. It charges advertisers a premium because anyone who wants to watch those shows on cable has to see Cdn commercials on ctv. So it gets say 4M viewers on tsn and say 1M viewers (who would watch the amazing race no matter what channel it was on, and would NOT watch football) on ctv. More viewers, and more ad revenue, than if the game was being simulcast. Pretty simple business decision for ctv.

argotom
04-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Here's why they don't simulcast the grey cup on ctv: at the same time it is on tsn, ctv is getting upwards of a million viewers watching its simulcast of programming on US networks. It charges advertisers a premium because anyone who wants to watch those shows on cable has to see Cdn commercials on ctv. So it gets say 4M viewers on tsn and say 1M viewers (who would watch the amazing race no matter what channel it was on, and would NOT watch football) on ctv. More viewers, and more ad revenue, than if the game was being simulcast. Pretty simple business decision for ctv.

I don't think so.
If you say CTV garnered more viewers I agree and the ad revenue went in their pot. Forget for a a second they own TSN.
Logically then the ad revenue for TSN is worthless as they lost because of the simulcast as they did not split the pie.

R.J
04-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I don't think so.
If you say CTV garnered more viewers I agree and the ad revenue went in their pot. Forget for a a second they own TSN.
Logically then the ad revenue for TSN is worthless as they lost because of the simulcast as they did not split the pie.
???
Grey Cup starts at 6:30 pm ET, not to mention the whole day of programming. CTV airs NFL Football from 1-7pm and then their American scripted programming. TSN2 airs NFL Sunday Night Football at 8:30 pm not including Pre game. BELL makes more money with this setup, then if they were to go with Grey Cup Sunday on CTV and TSN or even CTV by itself, because what would you air on TSN ? All day NFL ? it wouldn't generate as high ratings as the CTV games do and you also lose out on scripted programming.

I want to see the CFL on OTA tv just as much as anybody, but I also realize that BELL is in the business of making money, and there's a reason why they do Grey Cup weekend on TSN and fill programming elsewhere.

argotom
04-11-2016, 07:12 PM
???
Grey Cup starts at 6:30 pm ET, not to mention the whole day of programming. CTV airs NFL Football from 1-7pm and then their American scripted programming. TSN2 airs NFL Sunday Night Football at 8:30 pm not including Pre game. BELL makes more money with this setup, then if they were to go with Grey Cup Sunday on CTV and TSN or even CTV by itself, because what would you air on TSN ? All day NFL ? it wouldn't generate as high ratings as the CTV games do and you also lose out on scripted programming.

I want to see the CFL on OTA tv just as much as anybody, but I also realize that BELL is in the business of making money, and there's a reason why they do Grey Cup weekend on TSN and fill programming elsewhere.

No way.
You can't justify CTV for not showing the GC and the playoffs.
More viewership and ultimately exposure = more revenue, not the other way around by going with TSN.
You want to draw the biggest viewership number for the GC.
Otherwise why then doesn't TSN show the Super Bowl instead of CTV?

R.J
04-11-2016, 07:14 PM
No way.
You can't justify CTV for not showing the GC and the playoffs.
More viewership and ultimately exposure = more revenue, not the other way around by going with TSN.
You want to draw the biggest viewership number for the GC.
Otherwise why then doesn't TSN show the Super Bowl instead of CTV?
You're still not getting it, and TBH it's been explained to you so many times - I give up.

argotom
04-11-2016, 07:43 PM
You're still not getting it, and TBH it's been explained to you so many times - I give up.

Explain this then: Otherwise why then doesn't TSN show the Super Bowl instead of CTV?

AngeloV
04-11-2016, 07:50 PM
I don't think so.

AT, you're really out to lunch on this subject.

Just enjoy the games and don't worry about what the networks are showing.

Explain this then: Otherwise why then doesn't TSN show the Super Bowl instead of CTV?

Likely because the regular US programming that CTV simulcasts on a Sunday evening is not on in the US against the Superbowl.

ArgoZ
04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
I am not sure how to take that?
As far as I am concerned, I will take several shots at anything that is US sports and that some wannabe clown/executive has determined in this country is worthy above our disappearing institution(s).
The CFL is truly our sport, part of the very same Canadiana that is not defended enough.
And it's not like it has to be artificially propped up as it does well on TV. Just a level playing field.
In fact, an argument can also be made it should not be a level playing field as since when should US sports garner priority?
However, I wonder also how the vast majority here in the city of Toronto may not consider itself part of this country?
How very sad.
Why aren't more people including yourself doing its share to keep our traditions alive for the generations ahead?

When someone takes unfounded shots at other organizations, it exposes a personal bias, they sound misinformed, and it results in lost credibility to their options and posts. An intelligent discussion can be had without it.

As far as keeping traditions alive, I went to the Canadian Open a few years ago in Hamilton! Unfortunately there was no Canadian golf tournament on this weekend, so I was stuck watching The Masters.

OV Argo
04-11-2016, 08:24 PM

Who`s "outraged"? - was somebody already typing in all CAPS ? = SHOUTING ? ;o)

Try to rationalize or explain it away all you want with the wonderful business and advertising and maximizing profit decisions of the TV executive big-wig$ - good for those @$$-hat wannabes.

The Masters & the Super Bowl DO get shown on national TV in Canada, and even on secondary channels, when they could easily be viewed on just one of the main channels. The Grey Cup does NOT get shown on one of the big networks in it's own freakin' country - and is instead relegated to a sports specialty network - one that in the past has also failed to show the start of some CFL games so they could show some golf tournament or Ricky Bobby car racin' - that was already freakin' available on another channel for fans of those sports to watch !!! - but tough $HiTe for CFL fans who would like to see the entire CFL game on the network that is supposed to be the dedicated CFL station ??? - c'mon - total frickin' B$ !!!

If some believe these facts do not speak volumes about the attitude shown towards the CFL by SOME in it's OWN FREAKIN' COUNTRY - then fair enough. Speaks volumes to me - sorry bout that. ;o) OUTRAGE enough for ya AV ? ;o)

argotom
04-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Who`s "outraged"? - was somebody already typing in all CAPS ? = SHOUTING ? ;o)

Try to rationalize or explain it away all you want with the wonderful business and advertising and maximizing profit decisions of the TV executive big-wig$ - good for those @$$-hat wannabes.

The Masters & the Super Bowl DO get shown on national TV in Canada, and even on secondary channels, when they could easily be viewed on just one of the main channels. The Grey Cup does NOT get shown on one of the big networks in it's own freakin' country - and is instead relegated to a sports specialty network - one that in the past has also failed to show the start of some CFL games so they could show some golf tournament or Ricky Bobby car racin' - that was already on another channel !!!

If some don't believe these facts do not speak volumes about the attitude shown towards the CFL by SOME in it's OWN FREAKIN' COUNTRY - then fair enough. Speaks volumes to me - sorry bout that. ;o) OUTRAGE enough for ya AV ? ;o)

Great assessment OV.
The problem with some posters here, they cannot get into a meaningful discussion and instead resort to name calling or their typical great line "why don't you get it after all we have told you so many times"?
Told me or others nothing!
They don't get it, our country has been hijacked by people who do not know and incorrectly think they speak for the masses.

PullTogether73
04-12-2016, 04:48 AM
As I said earlier, my criticism of this broadcast anomaly has nothing to do with where CFL games are broadcast (TSN or CTV).
Perhaps someone can explain why the same sporting event was shown on two networks owned by the same company AT THE SAME TIME?
If the ad revenue and viewership potential was greater on CTV, why show the same thing on TSN?

paulwoods13
04-12-2016, 06:33 AM
It's simple -- the network that owns the rights determines what is going to make it the most possible money in ad revenue. CTV has presumably determined that showing the Grey Cup only on TSN, the Super Bowl only on CTV and the Masters on both will make it the most money. Any argument that they are doing the wrong thing has to make a legitimate case that they can make more money doing something else. Anything else is pointless because they are in the business of maximizing revenues.

rdavies
04-12-2016, 12:39 PM
The Grey Cup (as is every CFL game) is available to anyone that wants to watch.I wouldn't quite say that. it is available to those who are able to access the service and are willing or able to pay. You'd be surprised at how many people fall into the latter category. I don't have TSN and I have to get it by hook or by crook. You may not believe this but I am in one of the few areas in the country (a fairly sizeable city) that doesn't have access to CBC.

paulwoods13
04-12-2016, 12:45 PM
You may not believe this but I am in one of the few areas in the country (a fairly sizeable city) that doesn't have access to CBC.

What?! You mean it's not available over the air? Surely it's available on cable. (I realize not everyone has or wants cable -- just trying to understand what you mean about not having access.)

rdavies
04-12-2016, 12:47 PM
It's simple -- the network that owns the rights determines what is going to make it the most possible money in ad revenue. CTV has presumably determined that showing the Grey Cup only on TSN, the Super Bowl only on CTV and the Masters on both will make it the most money. Any argument that they are doing the wrong thing has to make a legitimate case that they can make more money doing something else. Anything else is pointless because they are in the business of maximizing revenues.I think there is more to it than that.

More than 1.5 million viewers watched the Master's final round (704,000 on TSN; 585,000 on CTV; 242,000 on RDS),that right there is extremely interesting, 83% of the TSN number (almost doubling the amount of viewers) watched on CTV. We know that not everybody can access TSN and CTV has a nearly 20% larger audience coverage area.

OV Argo
04-12-2016, 12:51 PM
It's simple -- the network that owns the rights determines what is going to make it the most possible money in ad revenue. CTV has presumably determined that showing the Grey Cup only on TSN, the Super Bowl only on CTV and the Masters on both will make it the most money. Any argument that they are doing the wrong thing has to make a legitimate case that they can make more money doing something else. Anything else is pointless because they are in the business of maximizing revenues.

So, some money grubbing suits have "presumably determined" the GC doesn't rate being on the main network eh? - just a plain & simple objective financial decision is it? OK then.

:bored:

rdavies
04-12-2016, 12:51 PM
What?! You mean it's not available over the air? Surely it's available on cable. (I realize not everyone has or wants cable -- just trying to understand what you mean about not having access.)No OTA, you can check it out, there are a few other cities across the country as well. Shaw even came up with a free satellite service (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/free-very-basic-satellite-tv-shaw-those-certain-areas-update-feb-2013-a-1140577/) that my father was able to get (about 5 channels with outdated equipment) on a five year contract. I believe the CRTC and Shaw worked out a deal giving Shaw something else if they provided this service. I don't think a whole lotta people knew about it but it was advertised. My father asked me about, like others thinking it was too good to be true. I did the due diligence and it was true.

Shaw Direct: Shaw’s direct to home satellite service has developed the best offer around for qualifying residents in 20 Canadian cities set to lose analog television: free service.

“The Local Television Satellite Solution is [for] households in 20 designated cities that have been receiving their television services over-the-air, and will lose over-the-air access to their local broadcaster because the analog transmitter is being shut down and will not be replaced by a digital transmitter,” a Shaw spokesperson told the Toronto Star. “Shaw will provide a household in a qualifying area with a free satellite receiver and dish that is authorized to receive a package of local and regionally relevant signals from Shaw Direct. There are no monthly programming fees provided that a household qualifies to participate in the program.”

The qualifying cities:
Barrie Fredericton Moncton Sherbrooke
Burmis Halifax Québec St John’s
Calgary Kitchener Saguenay Thunder Bay
Charlottetown Lethbridge Saint John Trois-Rivières
Edmonton London Saskatoon Windsor

The basic Bell Satellite sub I had about four years ago didn't include TSN, not every basic service includes it.

And let's not forget there are quite a few people on fixed incomes who can't realistically have cable, and many of them just want the basic OTA channels to access their local news.

Reggiemac
04-12-2016, 12:54 PM
And I am thinking seriously about cutting the cable entirely and stream everything I want. The only problem Thats holding me back is watching cfl games. Not sure if there is a reliable streaming source for TSN. Anyone have advice as I would like to say goodbye to the cable monopoly. The cfl should maintain control over streaming rights as that is the future.

rdavies
04-12-2016, 01:00 PM
And I am thinking seriously about cutting the cable entirely and stream everything I want. The only problem Thats holding me back is watching cfl games. Not sure if there is a reliable streaming source for TSN. Anyone have advice as I would like to say goodbye to the cable monopoly. The cfl should maintain control over streaming rights as that is the future.You might want to peruse this (http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/28794-the-cord-cutting-thread/#comment-553364)

Hell, if you live in Toronto you're laughin' for OTA

argotom
04-12-2016, 01:27 PM
So, some money grubbing suits have "presumably determined" the GC doesn't rate being on the main network eh? - just a plain & simple objective financial decision is it? OK then.

OV, we have outlined many times how it cannot be just a financial decision by the suits there has to be more to it!
The TV numbers and popularity of the league country wide does not justify the decision.
Therefore one can only assume this is nothing more than a conspiracy to keep the CFL "down on the farm".

AngeloV
04-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Such is life with publicly traded corporations. It's all about maximizing the bottom line to keep the shareholders happy. We all should get used to this, because it will not change.

OV, we have outlined many times how it cannot be just a financial decision by the suits there has to be more to it!
The TV numbers and popularity of the league country wide does not justify the decision.
Therefore one can only assume this is nothing more than a conspiracy to keep the CFL "down on the farm".

Paranoia is running wild.

If it was Bell's motive to keep the CFL down, why on earth would they have bid the largest TV contract in league history, not to mention buy their financially weakest team? It's not like anyone else even came close.

gilthethrill
04-12-2016, 02:46 PM
And I am thinking seriously about cutting the cable entirely and stream everything I want. The only problem Thats holding me back is watching cfl games. Not sure if there is a reliable streaming source for TSN. Anyone have advice as I would like to say goodbye to the cable monopoly. The cfl should maintain control over streaming rights as that is the future.

What we do is put our satellite on “vacation" after the CFL season and take it off of "vacation" just prior to the season. That only costs about $10 per month. Honestly, with Netflix, the only thing I watch is CFL.

argotom
04-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Such is life with publicly traded corporations. It's all about maximizing the bottom line to keep the shareholders happy. We all should get used to this, because it will not change.

Paranoia is running wild.

If it was Bell's motive to keep the CFL down, why on earth would they have bid the largest TV contract in league history, not to mention buy there financially weakest team? It's not like anyone else even came close.

Yes that is a definite head scratcher!!!!
It makes no sense to have such a valuable property and treat it with disrespect more than on one occasion as there have been many examples in the past.

argolio
04-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Yes that is a definite head scratcher!!!!
It makes no sense to have such a valuable property and treat it with disrespect more than on one occasion as there have been many examples in the past.It obviously makes financial sense to them. Aren't you supposed to be a right-wing capitalist guy?

R.J
04-12-2016, 04:11 PM
I will not get pulled into the vortex. I will not get pulled into the vortex.

AngeloV
04-12-2016, 04:17 PM
I will not get pulled into the vortex. I will not get pulled into the vortex.

I'll take action on that.

R.J
04-12-2016, 04:28 PM
I'll take action on that.
It's getting hard not to. lol

Scooter McCray
04-12-2016, 04:53 PM
It's getting hard not to. lolmust resist, stomachs churning, bowels clenching....

paulwoods13
04-12-2016, 04:53 PM

Yes, that is exactly what it is. If they made a decision that reduced their revenue, they would be in line for termination. That's how business works, accept it or not.

OV Argo
04-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Yes, that is exactly what it is. If they made a decision that reduced their revenue, they would be in line for termination. That's how business works, accept it or not.

SO - you seem to be totally discounting the notion that media types here have little to no respect for the CFL and that could affect their decision making on the matter. You want me to accept that? - sorry, no can do. Exactly, my ar$e.

OV Argo
04-12-2016, 10:39 PM
It obviously makes financial sense to them. Aren't you supposed to be a right-wing capitalist guy?

SO - it makes "financial sense" for "them" to have The Masters or the Super Bowl shown on the main network, when it is readily available on other channels anyways, but it makes zero financial sense for them to do the same with the GC - the sporting event that has been close to or the highest rated sports TV event in the country in the past (The Masters is not even close - not remotely) ? OK then.

argotom
04-12-2016, 10:47 PM
SO - you seem to be totally discounting the notion that media types here have little to no respect for the CFL and that could affect their decision making on the matter. You want me to accept that? - sorry, no can do. Exactly, my ar$e.

Precisely. The wannabe media which also includes the ad executives and various sports heads clearly has no affection for our game.

SO - it makes "financial sense" for "them" to have The Masters or the Super Bowl shown on the main network, when it is readily available on other channels anyways, but it makes zero financial sense for them to do the same with the GC? OK then.

Exactly, let's have the Masters simulcast on 3 channels over the weekend and that's not overkill while hold on the CFL is fine on just the TSN during the playoffs and GC.
I have some land in the Everglades for those here that espouse such crap.

argolio
04-12-2016, 11:49 PM
SO - it makes "financial sense" for "them" to have The Masters or the Super Bowl shown on the main network, when it is readily available on other channels anyways, but it makes zero financial sense for them to do the same with the GC - the sporting event that has been close to or the highest rated sports TV event in the country in the past (The Masters is not even close - not remotely) ? OK then.It might be some overkill, but it's practically free programming since, as an afternoon/early evening show, the Masters doesn't cut into CTV Sunday prime time shows, and CTV/TSN pay nothing in production costs. There is also no new programming opposite the Super Bowl, so CTV loses nothing by airing it.

We could always copy England, where legislation requires the FA Cup final to be on over-the-air TV. Or we could appeal to CTV's sense of patriotism, if any can be found.

rdavies
04-13-2016, 07:48 AM
Or we could appeal to CTV's sense of patriotism, if any can be found.Yeah, good luck with that. They have never felt any obligation (for whatever reason) to promote long term, quality Canadian television production.

If you're into media history like I am, this is an interesting read CTV The Network That Means Business (https://books.google.ca/books?id=6c3FkFx0-uoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=ctv+the+network+that+means+business&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVwu7LxovMAhWDm4MKHbQ8DwIQuwUIHjAA#v=on epage&q=ctv%20the%20network%20that%20means%20business&f=false)

paulwoods13
04-13-2016, 08:35 AM

The problem with these conspiracy theories is that they require all kinds of people to be in on the conspiracy, including shareholders and securities regulators. CTV is a publicly traded company and accordingly its managers are obligated to maximize shareholder value. If they are reducing profits to shareholders because they lack respect for the CFL, then they are running afoul of securities law. Oh well, it's a nice theory that conveniently fits a particular mindset.

Scooter McCray
04-13-2016, 09:53 AM
I believe in capitalism. But I don't believe all business decisions made are ideal or the right ones. Otherwise there would be no corruption and more than 7 out of 10 startups would not fail. 20 years or more ago TSN took a risk by creating Friday night football. It rejuvenated the CFL brand. That was a good business decision but at the time it was a financial risk. It paid off. The CFL brand could move to the next level with the right people and decision makers championing it. But I don't see that being done at present.

rdavies
04-13-2016, 11:00 AM
The problem with these conspiracy theories is that they require all kinds of people to be in on the conspiracy, including shareholders and securities regulators. CTV is a publicly traded company and accordingly its managers are obligated to maximize shareholder value. If they are reducing profits to shareholders because they lack respect for the CFL, then they are running afoul of securities law. Oh well, it's a nice theory that conveniently fits a particular mindset.I don't believe in conspiracy theories per se, I'm a BIG Kennedy Assassination buff (Oswald did it) but that's not to say I don't believe in benign conspiracies, of the CYA type.

I look at how Bell sees Canadian product as a necessary evil, the cost of doing business. I could go all Spiro Agnew here and go on about a small elite, cabal of influential types in a certain geographical area who think there is no value in Canadian product and that it can't be immensely popular. Things like Corner Gas are an anomaly, we'll give the CFL enough to put on a broadcast but will we put out a few more bucks to add a few more cameras and graphic suites to make the quality a little closer to the NFL, naaaah.

As much as some of these American wannabe (living in the 80s) bubble types don't want to believe, but Canadians want to see Canadians. And the very best example of that (aside from the Olympics) are these NHL playoffs. Ratings have died without the Canadian rooting interest.

I can't believe the biggest area for growth, Canadian college sports hasn't been exploited. Take the top five teams in the country in basketball and hockey and start touring American schools. Of course the people whom you want to deliver the point will deny any positive results with the usual excuses "Oh, Michigan didn't play any starters or BU played their B team" but it would still be a very interesting TV property to renew and jumpstart an interest in Canadian college sports whose top teams would be competitive with NCAA.

jerrym
04-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Or we could appeal to CTV's sense of patriotism, if any can be found.

Certainly! They have always spent a lot of money on fine Canadian shows and never complained about having to do it.

OV Argo
04-13-2016, 12:04 PM
I don't believe in conspiracy theories per se, I'm a BIG Kennedy Assassination buff (Oswald did it) but that's not to say I don't believe in benign conspiracies, of the CYA type.

I look at how Bell sees Canadian product as a necessary evil, the cost of doing business. I could go all Spiro Agnew here and go on about a small elite, cabal of influential types in a certain geographical area who think there is no value in Canadian product and that it can't be immensely popular. Things like Corner Gas are an anomaly, we'll give the CFL enough to put on a broadcast but will we put out a few more bucks to add a few more cameras and graphic suites to make the quality a little closer to the NFL, naaaah.

As much as some of these American wannabe (living in the 80s) bubble types don't want to believe, but Canadians want to see Canadians. And the very best example of that (aside from the Olympics) are these NHL playoffs. Ratings have died without the Canadian rooting interest.

I can't believe the biggest area for growth, Canadian college sports hasn't been exploited. Take the top five teams in the country in basketball and hockey and start touring American schools. Of course the people whom you want to deliver the point will deny any positive results with the usual excuses "Oh, Michigan didn't play any starters or BU played their B team" but it would still be a very interesting TV property to renew and jumpstart an interest in Canadian college sports whose top teams would be competitive with NCAA.

Just FYI - the Carelton Ravens (men's CIS basketball powerhouse), have played some exhibition games against some NCAA teams (including some highly ranked ones) in the past few years, and won a bunch of those games, including some convincing wins, and against starters.

I don't think it would take playing against NCAA teams to promote Canadian college sports (though it might help) - just give it more exposure and fans of those sports would be won over. The lack of TV coverage for a lot of CIS football is appalling IMO - a historic Canadian sport that is a good, entertaining product (IMO), but the a$$-hat suits at CTV or CBC or TSN, or SportsNet, etc. have no interest in it I guess. The same wannabe dorks that will fawn all over pretty well anything American when they get the chance.

As far as JFK - I've read quite a bit on that (way back mind you), and if the facts/truth were to be known, I'd place big money on a bet that Oswald did not act alone, and maybe was just a "patsy" as he said - no way IMO he was that kind of marksman with that POS rifle to pull those shots off alone. ;o)

AngeloV
04-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Again, I think way too much concern is going into this topic. If the league is satisfied (and judging by the long term renewal, they are), who are we to argue?

ENOUGH OF THE WHINING!!

OV Argo
04-13-2016, 12:19 PM
The problem with these conspiracy theories is that they require all kinds of people to be in on the conspiracy, including shareholders and securities regulators. CTV is a publicly traded company and accordingly its managers are obligated to maximize shareholder value. If they are reducing profits to shareholders because they lack respect for the CFL, then they are running afoul of securities law. Oh well, it's a nice theory that conveniently fits a particular mindset.

Who said anything about "conspiracy" ??? And what is with you types who feel need to trot out the "what conspiracy" card to try to discredit and opposing view or opinion ???

Did anyone here suggest a bunch of media big-wig suits were holding clandestine meetings to figure out ways to shaft or ignore the CFL ? Sorry- it's nothing so nefarious - it just some money grubbing wannabes who share an ingrained belief that something that is purely or even mostly Canadian is somehow inferior or not worth their attention for the most part, and this thinking can influence their business decisions at times. If you want to believe it's all just simple and objective maximizing of profits that is the only thing at play there, feel free to do so / good for you. - Mr GullLeBull.

"Conspiracy theory" eh - that same Shite gets trotted out almost every single time / like clockwork - when the subject of Canadian QBs not often getting CFL real looks or respect is brought up. The defenders of the gob faith always bleat "what conspiracy" when they are unable to discuss specifics on the matter or want to make a topic they are uncomfortable with go away. No conspiracies involved in that matter either; just deeply ingrained ignorance, bias & myopia. ;o)

paulwoods13
04-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Things like Corner Gas are an anomaly, we'll give the CFL enough to put on a broadcast but will we put out a few more bucks to add a few more cameras and graphic suites to make the quality a little closer to the NFL, naaaah.

I actually agree CTV/TSN could and in fact should spend more on the quality of the CFL broadcasts, and could do so as part of the normal cost of doing business. That's way different, though, than forgoing revenue, which is what would happen IMO if they placed the Grey Cup or playoffs on CTV.

As much as some of these American wannabe (living in the 80s) bubble types don't want to believe, but Canadians want to see Canadians. And the very best example of that (aside from the Olympics) are these NHL playoffs. Ratings have died without the Canadian rooting interest.[

Well, the playoffs haven't actually started so this ratings decline hasn't happened yet. But undoubtedly it will.

rdavies
04-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Just FYI - the Carelton Ravens (men's CIS basketball powerhouse), have played some exhibition games against some NCAA teams (including some highly ranked ones) in the past few years, and won a bunch of those games, including some convincing wins, and against starters.

I don't think it would take playing against NCAA teams to promote Canadian college sports (though it might help) - just give it more exposure and fans of those sports would be won over. The lack of TV coverage for a lot of CIS football is appalling IMO - a historic Canadian sport that is a good, entertaining product (IMO), but the a$$-hat suits at CTV or CBC or TSN, or SportsNet, etc. have no interest in it I guess. The same wannabe dorks that will fawn all over pretty well anything American when they get the chance.

As far as JFK - I've read quite a bit on that (way back mind you), and if the facts/truth were to be known, I'd place big money on a bet that Oswald did not act alone, and maybe was just a "patsy" as he said - no way IMO he was that kind of marksman with that POS rifle to pull those shots off alone. ;o)Carleton went into OT with the number one ranked Syracuse and beat Wisconsin who were one point away from the March Madness final in 2014.

As for the last part, there was nothing wrong with the rifle (slightly misaligned scope, possibly by the rifle being dropped when he fled) or Oswald's shooting ability. He likely would have used the iron sights on his rifle (faster). I'll try and find it but there is a hilarious article about him being the "unluckiest man in America" pointing out all the things that would have had to have happened for him to be a patsy. The easiest way to start being an assassination buff is to read Vincent Bugliosi's book and move on from there. He disproves every assassination conspiracy theory one by one. It took him 20 years to write. After all the ridiculous theories have been removed then one can concentrate on more plausible things that could have happened.

And if you're interested in first hand news, this is the greatest collection of JFK assassination videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidVonPeinJFK/playlists) out there. I waited years to see the ABC TV coverage

argotom
04-13-2016, 03:37 PM
Who said anything about "conspiracy" ??? And what is with you types who feel need to trot out the "what conspiracy" card to try to discredit and opposing view or opinion ???

Did anyone here suggest a bunch of media big-wig suits were holding clandestine meetings to figure out ways to shaft or ignore the CFL ? Sorry- it's nothing so nefarious - it just some money grubbing wannabes who share an ingrained belief that something that is purely or even mostly Canadian is somehow inferior or not worth their attention for the most part, and this thinking can influence their business decisions at times. If you want to believe it's all just simple and objective maximizing of profits that is the only thing at play there, feel free to do so / good for you. - Mr GullLeBull.

"Conspiracy theory" eh - that same Shite gets trotted out almost every single time / like clockwork - when the subject of Canadian QBs not often getting CFL real looks or respect is brought up. The defenders of the gob faith always bleat "what conspiracy" when they are unable to discuss specifics on the matter or want to make a topic they are uncomfortable with go away. No conspiracies involved in that matter either; just deeply ingrained ignorance, bias & myopia. ;o)

Bang on again OV.
The same cast and crew here trying to shut down debate when it's not their brand or flavour.
Who knows, likely the ones that are part of the wannabe mass here in the city who periodically provide lip service in favour of our CFL and our disappearing traditions?

OV Argo
04-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Bang on again OV.
The same cast and crew here trying to shut down debate when it's not their brand or flavour.
Who knows, likely the ones that are part of the wannabe mass here in the city who periodically provide lip service in favour of our CFL and our disappearing traditions?

Settle down - we're all big Argo fans here - far as I can tell.

:hug:

OV Argo
04-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Carleton went into OT with the number one ranked Syracuse and beat Wisconsin who were one point away from the March Madness final in 2014.

As for the last part, there was nothing wrong with the rifle (slightly misaligned scope, possibly by the rifle being dropped when he fled) or Oswald's shooting ability. He likely would have used the iron sights on his rifle (faster). I'll try and find it but there is a hilarious article about him being the "unluckiest man in America" pointing out all the things that would have had to have happened for him to be a patsy. The easiest way to start being an assassination buff is to read Vincent Bugliosi's book and move on from there. He disproves every assassination conspiracy theory one by one. It took him 20 years to write. After all the ridiculous theories have been removed then one can concentrate on more plausible things that could have happened.

And if you're interested in first hand news, this is the greatest collection of JFK assassination videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidVonPeinJFK/playlists) out there. I waited years to see the ABC TV coverage

Don't think we should really be getting into the JFK thing here on an Argo forum (hey - John Candy did appear in that Oliver Stone movie - so maybe it's OK ;o)); just have to say I disagree on the patsy part and his supposed marksmanship ability (no way to prove any of that stuff - maybe Oswald was a superb sniper who acted alone; I doubt I could be convinced of that though. Some of the recent TV documentaries I've seen do seem to lean (more like spin) to Oswald as the lone actor and no conspiracy, but I found them most unconvincing.) Ludicrous theories aside, I have seen no definitive "disproves" stuff.

paulwoods13
04-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Bang on again OV.

Sorry tom but arguing against an opinion does not constitute "trying to shut down debate." If it did then you would be guilty of doing exactly that in this very post. It is interesting and mildly disappointing that you and your partner in this debate have resorted to personal attacks and/or name-calling while at the same time expressing outrage at the words being used to counter your arguments. I should have taken Snowrogue's approach on this.

paulwoods13
04-13-2016, 07:11 PM
OV, you are free to believe a business would deliberately make decisions that would reduce its profits out of anti-CFL enmity if you wish. I happen to think that is the kind of decision that could cause shareholders to demand heads. To each his own.

Argo57
04-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Bang on again OV.

Ahh yes, the "same cast and crew here" many who cough up for season tickets and actually care enough to regularly post on a site called argofans.com

Will
04-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Tom,

I would strongly advise attempting to question the loyalties of people on here to the CFL and the Argos just because (i) they happen to disagree with your position on this topic and (ii) they do not buy or support your hatred for any sport that isn't the CFL. You do not help yourself one bit trying to bring that into the equation.

OV Argo
04-13-2016, 07:56 PM
OV, you are free to believe a business would deliberately make decisions that would reduce its profits out of anti-CFL enmity if you wish. I happen to think that is the kind of decision that could cause shareholders to demand heads. To each his own.

That's a nice theory that fits a particular mind-set.

The big-wigs who make such decisions are often IMO clueless clowns, inspite of what the shareholders know or believe. And they don't make the decisions to purposely make less profits; they do those type of things because they believe their all-american wannabe fawning attitudes will automatically equal more profits; like they believe that some Canadian things are automatically inferior and equal less profits.

You are of course free to believe that these decisions are solely based on some sort of scientific model for business profits that is infallible . Yes agreed - to each his own.

rdavies
04-13-2016, 08:51 PM
And they don't make the decisions to purposely make less profits; they do those type of things because they believe their all-american wannabe fawning attitudes will automatically equal more profits; like they believe that some Canadian things are automatically inferior and equal less profits.I think there is a plausible point being made here.

argolio
04-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Too bad the CFL has basically cut all ties with CBC. I don't know if it would cost the league money to bring back CBC, but it's seems clear the Grey Cup on network TV isn't a big priority for the league. So why blame CTV for doing exactly what the CFL wants?

Wobbler
04-14-2016, 03:29 AM
Wait, so now it's the CFL conspiring against the CFL? And to think, if Tom liked golf we'd never have experienced this informative thread!

rdavies
04-14-2016, 08:05 AM
but it's seems clear the Grey Cup on network TV isn't a big priority for the league. So why blame CTV for doing exactly what the CFL wants?Not sure where that idea comes from?

AngeloV
04-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Not sure where that idea comes from?

Obviously it comes from the fact that they were quick to re-up on the TV deal as it was. Hence why it isn't a priority for the league.

rdavies
04-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Obviously it comes from the fact that they were quick to re-up on the TV deal as it was. Hence why it isn't a priority for the league.I somehow doubt that there wouldn't be a clause (to the benefit and agreement of both parties) that a game or games couldn't be flipped to another outlet.

paulwoods13
04-14-2016, 01:07 PM
I somehow doubt that there wouldn't be a clause (to the benefit and agreement of both parties) that a game or games couldn't be flipped to another outlet.

Maybe so, but the deal has allowed all games to be shown on TSN to date, so the league clearly accepts that, regardless of what the contract might say. If the league was adamant about games being shown on a non-sports network, it would not have signed the deal it signed.

rdavies
04-14-2016, 01:14 PM
If the league was adamant about games being shown on a non-sports network, it would not have signed the deal it signed.Except we don't know that and I think if they were offered the GC on the full network they wouldn't have an issue with it, especially considering it might near double the exposure.

AngeloV
04-14-2016, 01:24 PM
I somehow doubt that there wouldn't be a clause (to the benefit and agreement of both parties) that a game or games couldn't be flipped to another outlet.

Who would control this clause? League or Bell? I really doubt such clause is in the contract.

Except we don't know that and I think if they were offered the GC on the full network they wouldn't have an issue with it, especially considering it might near double the exposure.

Of course they wouldn't have an issue with it, but the point is that it obviously wasn't a high priority for the league, or they would not have signed the deal...not once, but TWICE.

argotom
04-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Who would control this clause? League or Bell? I really doubt such clause is in the contract.

Of course they wouldn't have an issue with it, but the point is that it obviously wasn't a high priority for the league, or they would not have signed the deal...not once, but TWICE.

We have debated this issue for years and I would further guess how most of us here agree on this part how the league was negligent at worst and stupid at best for failing to negotiate how the playoffs and GC must be seen on the main network.

ArgoZ
04-14-2016, 07:02 PM
We have debated this issue for years and I would further guess how most of us here agree on this part how the league was negligent at worst and stupid at best for failing to negotiate how the playoffs and GC must be seen on the main network.

Easy to second guess and criticize something we have little insight on. Would it be preferential to have the games on a channel like CBC for say 25 million? I'm sure the owners, (which is the CFL), are quite happy with the $40 mill they are receiving now, especially considering the current unstable television market. In fact, you could almost make a case that they fleeced TSN. A far cry from "stupid at best".

argotom
04-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Easy to second guess and criticize something we have little insight on. Would it be preferential to have the games on a channel like CBC for say 25 million? I'm sure the owners, (which is the CFL), are quite happy with the $40 mill they are receiving now, especially considering the current unstable television market. In fact, you could almost make a case that they fleeced TSN. A far cry from "stupid at best".

It did not have to be that way, all or nothing as you suggest that's what negotiations is all about.
As for the contract, some have said this latest contract again was a bargain for TSN as the property remains undervalued?
For me any way, the league should have received a minimum $50M ++.

argos1873
04-14-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure if this has been answered correctly in this thread or not, but I've explained it here before. The moment the Grey Cup or ANY CFL game ever would get broadcast on a main US network (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) is the moment you will see CTV broadcasting those games. Why? Because of the simulcasting rules. Its the very reason why CTV airs the Superbowl. If the Superbowl wasn't available to Canadian viewers either OTA or on regular cable, it would be on TSN (assuming Bell holds the rights, which they do). But it is on OTA or regular cable, so CTV can simulcast it on its OTA and regular cable outlets, thus getting all the advertising from the cable feeds, and since many people use cable compared to OTA or can't get American OTA, its still ok. The Masters was on CBS, therefore available on OTA and regular cable. The Grey Cup and other CFL games are not on American OTA or regular cable outlets, so Bell media says lets force viewers to TSN if they want to watch this product. This way they get both subscription fees, and advertising dollars. The viewer can't say forget it, I'll just watch it on ABC for free, for example. If you want the Grey Cup you have to subscribe to TSN. Bottom line, its about money.

rdavies
04-14-2016, 09:15 PM
For years the NHL had one terrible US TV contract after another by accepting the best money deal over growth potential. The classic was opting for SportsChannel America over ESPN. Now hindsight is 20/20 and the deal with SCA garnered them twice the money that ESPN had paid but SCA was only available in 1/3 the homes as opposed to ESPN. Sometimes it just isn't about the money, although in this case it was.

R.J
04-14-2016, 10:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vwMin.gif

As for the contract, some have said this latest contract again was a bargain for TSN as the property remains undervalued?
???
Name one - provide just one source.
Everyone who regularly reports on the CFL thought this was a huge win for the League.

AngeloV
04-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Some who? passionate CFL fans on forums? I'm sure they all know exactly how the business of the CFL and broadcasting works.

If the league felt the way that delusional fans do, they would A) not have signed the deal, and B) put up the "out of business sign on the front door of the head office.

argotom
04-14-2016, 10:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vwMin.gif

???
Name one - provide just one source.
Everyone who regularly reports on the CFL thought this was a huge win for the League.

Stop with the source nonsense!
Look at the crazy contract of $3.5B Sportsnet overpaid to the NHL, while the CFL being the second highest rated TV viewership received only $40M annually.
Everything that came out after the fact indicates the league did a poor job of bringing other suitors to the table and therefore not creating a bidding war.
Announcing in advance before the deal that you want to remain with TSN was a further blow and no doubt caused a low ball proposal.

argos1873
04-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Look at the crazy contract of $3.5B Sportsnet overpaid to the NHL, while the CFL being the second highest rated TV viewership received only $40M annually.
Everything that came out after the fact indicates the league did a poor job of bringing other suitors to the table and therefore not creating a bidding war.
Announcing in advance before the deal that you want to remain with TSN was a further blow and no doubt caused a low ball proposal.

Which other suitors? CBC? Under Harper? Not likely. Rogers? Lol ok. Which other suitors? The Score? Who else was going to pay the CFL near to what Bell Media was going to pay?

R.J
04-15-2016, 12:18 AM
Still waiting for a source..................... You said "some have said"............................ Who are these some ?????
Seems to me Angelo's got it right - the some you speak of is fans on other CFL Forums.................... or just your own perspective.

argolio
04-15-2016, 12:43 AM
The CFL really should have accepted Chinese state television's offer of a billion dollars (source: my imagination).

Fools!

paulwoods13
04-15-2016, 06:32 AM
This is an endless tape loop. Now can we please go back to arguing about whether or not the Argos should keep Zach and let Ricky go? Or whether the Argos were stupid to release Arland Bruce?

argotom
04-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Still waiting for a source..................... You said "some have said"............................ Who are these some ?????
Seems to me Angelo's got it right - the some you speak of is fans on other CFL Forums.................... or just your own perspective.

Source, source name one source..................give it up.

R.J
04-15-2016, 11:49 AM
The CFL really should have accepted Chinese state television's offer of a billion dollars (source: my imagination).

Fools!
Now is that $1 Billion paid in Yuan or Cdn ?

So as per usual, you don't have one.

AngeloV
04-15-2016, 09:42 PM

The more you respond, the worse you make yourself look. Take your own advice and give it up.

argotom
04-15-2016, 10:50 PM
The more you respond, the worse you make yourself look. Take your own advice and give it up.

Here we go again, the same cast of characters when they have nothing of substance to add let's start attacking.
You and your cast are more than pathetic.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8