PDA

View Full Version : Some Hijacked Thread on Smoking

Midnight Blue
03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Mr. Rudge, if you are reading this forum (and respectfully, you should be, Sir), please allow cigarette smokers a place to step out for a smoke. We do not want to be sneaking smokes in the Boy's Room (I used to, years ago, but no longer do, out of respect for non-smokers). We are Football Fans; we are not a Golf or Tennis crowd. Some of us do not spend our lives, constantly running and hiding from death. On a typical Game Day, I'll have a few beers and then want to go to the game. There are or where, apparently one or two outdoor patios at the Skydome (Level Two and maybe Level One), where smoking used to be allowed. It is no big deal, but it might encourage new fans, and perhaps some old diehard fans, who otherwise feel unwelcome. Football Fans are a breed apart. We are not asking for much, Sir. Anything you can do for us, would be much appreciated. Thank You.

DanTheFan
03-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Mr. Rudge, if you are reading this forum (and respectfully, you should be, Sir), please allow cigarette smokers a place to step out for a smoke. We do not want to be sneaking smokes in the Boy's Room (I used to, years ago, but no longer do, out of respect for non-smokers). We are Football Fans; we are not a Golf or Tennis crowd. Some of us do not spend our lives, constantly running and hiding from death. On a typical Game Day, I'll have a few beers and then want to go to the game. There are or where, apparently one or two outdoor patios at the Skydome (Level Two and maybe Level One), where smoking used to be allowed. It is no big deal, but it might encourage new fans, and perhaps some old diehard fans, who otherwise feel unwelcome. Football Fans are a breed apart. We are not asking for much, Sir. Anything you can do for us, would be much appreciated. Thank You.

I don't think Rudge is the man who has the say on where or where not people can smoke. I believe the laws governing the distance from the entrances of public buildings where one is allowed to smoke are provincially (if not federally) mandated. That being said, I know such laws are heavily enforced on college/university campuses but am unsure about sports venues.

Midnight Blue
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't think Rudge is the man who has the say on where or where not people can smoke. I believe the laws governing the distance from the entrances of public buildings where one is allowed to smoke are provincially (if not federally) mandated. That being said, I know such laws are heavily enforced on college/university campuses but am unsure about sports venues.

Thanks, and I appreciate your reply, but there was and maybe still is a bar/restaurant/outdoor patio there, and if anyone can look into it, perhaps Mr. Rudge is the man. Cheers!

marcwagz
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
smoking is gross

RoRoYoBoat
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
So is drinking milk full of pro-hormones and ant-biotics or eating food with aspertame and GHA/GHB. buying food and water sitting in byphenol A containers for months or smoking a J that has the tar equivalent of 32 cigarettes. Funny how cancer rate is sky rocketing in non smokers. Keep eating hot dogs and drinking Diet Rockstar, you will live forever LOL !

If someone wants to smoke let them. Got to Cuba five times a year and they smoke over there and their cancer rate is 10 percent of ours.

1argoholic
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Quit smoking, save money and your health. I think it's nasty as well. I don't care if someone wants to smoke the odd joint because at least you get something from it.

RoRoYoBoat
03-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Smokers, Drinkiers and Gamblers save us a pile of money. Think of what my taxes would be if these people stopped filling the kitty. The dope smokers may get a high but they aren't paying taxes. legalize pot and lower my taxes !:D

1argoholic
03-26-2012, 02:07 PM
I agree with that. Plus they'd save money on all of the policing involved with dope.

AngeloV
03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
If someone wants to smoke let them. Got to Cuba five times a year and they smoke over there and their cancer rate is 10 percent of ours.

Yeah, and they really make these statistics public for the rest of the world to see.

Smokers, Drinkiers and Gamblers save us a pile of money. Think of what my taxes would be if these people stopped filling the kitty. The dope smokers may get a high but they aren't paying taxes. legalize pot and lower my taxes !

They'd probably be lower because the overall health of the country would be better, thus needing less money to go into medicare. Not that I'm the healthiest man alive. LOL!!!

OV Argo
03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Moral majority facists need not apply to comment on non-football stuff on an Argo/football forum, IMO. ;o)

Smoking kills? - really? - so do automobile accidents and excessive fat in diets; maybe Big Brother should ban driving and cheeseburgers too; attendance could go down at sporting events though.
;)

marcwagz
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
smoking is the number 1 reason people get sick that is easily preventable...
the fact that people usually only start to look cool shows how pathetic our society is
"I'll die 15 years early, but at least I'm cool!"

RoRoYoBoat
03-27-2012, 10:33 AM
No longer true if it ever was. Obesity and its friend Diabetes are the #1 cause of disease in Canada. Also Cancer rate is up 10 000 percent in juveniles compared with 1950 figures. I don't think smoking is healthy but it is not the main health problem in this country.

1-Obesity:
2-Prescription drugs (35% of kids on Ritalin !) 25% of the population on re=uptake inhibitors !
3-Air Pollution (Toronto and Montreal)
4-Antibiotic resistance

All would rank higher than smoking tobacco in this day and age. Just easy for people to feel good about their habits by transposition to smokers.

ArgoGabe22
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
#1 killer I believe is heart disease, no? Well that's what I learned in school.

marcwagz
03-27-2012, 11:15 AM
obesity and diabetes, although preventable, are far less preventable than smoking.
obesity can and is very genetic, many people eat normal amounts of calories but are still overweight, smoking is a deliberate choice to deteriorate your health.
yes a lot of people who are over weight could simply not eat so much, but a lot of people really can't do that.

ritalin doesn't have known cancer causing side effects, and its effects on the heart are much less documented than cigarettes
and having a depressed percentage of the population take re-uptake inhibitors (although cognitive/interpersonal therapy would also work but are not as easy to administer as simple drugs) is better then having them catatonic and in limbo of considering/attempting suicide. Considering not treating someone with something like Borderline personality disorder is a little ridiculous but even a major depressive episode left alone could be quite problematic.
I'm a psych grad, but I won't go on about all that.
Drugs are overused, yes, specifically for ADHD, but thats because the principles for diagnosing ADHD are stone dumb. It is supposed to be if the parents and teachers agree (which is dumb conjecture in its own right) but nowadays if a parent thinks it and can find a loose doctor (who is never a psychiatrist...) then they can get their child ritalin.

The main thing to note is, in most cases, especially personality disorders like borderline and bipolar the drugs are prolonging the expected life span a lot more than they are shrinking it.

Air pollution would be interesting to analyze. I don't live in toronto luckily, but comparing city and rural lifespans is surely something that has been done.

marcwagz
03-27-2012, 11:16 AM
and smoking is a major cause of heart disease!

ArgoGabe22
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
According to the stats I have via school powerpoint.

The leading causes of death are 38% cardiovascular, 28% cancer, respiratory 9% accidents 6%, and diabetes 2%.

Smoking is a major cause to cancer and type 2 diabetes. So is poor diet, family history, inactivity etc. I think everyone knows this.

40% of cancer is preventable. 21% of preventable cancer is caused by smoking. The next largest causes that are preventable are alcohol and poor dieting at both 5% each. Overweight and Obesity is only at 2% and air pollution is only 1%.

Some doctors would heavily argue that the obesity epidemic is largely inflated by the media. One of my profs who researches obesity came out with a study saying people who are obese aren't necessarily unhealthy and that there is actually nothing wrong with being overweight. Of course it all depends if they smoke, use drugs, are active, daily intake of fat, sugar, cancer causing chemicals.

Smoking is bad, I don't see how one can argue against this. It is legal and people have a right a smoke as long as they are smoking in the appropriate places and I don't care if one chooses to smoke as long as you don't blow it in my face.

1argoholic
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Anyone that thinks that sucking on a nic stick isn't harmful is a smoker or has their head in the clouds. I could care less if people die from smoking, over eating crap or being drug or alclohol abusers. I just want them to die fast, say of a massive heart attack so there isn't a strain on the health care system. Argogabe I'm with you on your last line.
I agree that it may not just be the smoking that kills someone but the triple chesseburger, biggy fries and super large coke they are sucking back just before the smoke.
Funny how there's an obesity problem that popped up not long after the drive through and home computers were invented. I barely can remember a fat kid in school when I was younger. 90% of kids in my day were out doing stuff on bikes or being active. Oh well this isn't about football.

paulwoods13
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
One post about the actual subject of the thread (Chris Rudge "game face") and 17 posts about smoking cigarettes. Glad it's the off-season.

RoRoYoBoat
03-27-2012, 04:27 PM
23 percent of Canadian are Obese. 34 percent of Americans. The rate is rising every year. I don't have figures but what is the percentage of Canadians that smoke ? 10 percent. What I am saying is far more Canadians are obese than are smokers but we don't talk about that... Caloric intake is not the major issue. I volunteer time to help people in a sheltered workshop. Over 90 percent of them are below the poverty line and about a third are obese. If most of your food intake is cheap carbs and processed hot dogs you will can get fat. And obesity is proven to shorten your life span in 100 percent of cases and it is proven that it will lead to back, hip and joint problems and other ailments.

So don't tell me Obesity is not preventable. That is where people need to focus their efforts if they want a healtyer society. Is all I am saying. I have a friend who has a 3 and a half year old child who is 92 pounds ! Was at their place for dinner. They split 2 large frozen lasagnas and had most of two litres of Royal Cola with their food, the 3 year old had at least 16 oz of that cola. Not preventable LOL !

ArgoGabe22
03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Smoking is far more preventable IMO. Yes people in low income neighborhoods have a greater risk because as you mentioned cheap food is unhealthy. How can you stop this? Well they should be buying healthy food then but that won't work because its too expensive. Higher income = greater health because they have a greater control of their lifestyle, its a fact. Greater economic status = greater opportunity for sport.

For low income families to live a more healthy life then healthy food has to be cheaper, more recreation needed but it has to be free/affordable. They also have less access to doctors where conditions are left untreated. For example a diabetic isn't controlling his/her blood sugar. This applies more to the U.S because fast food is way cheaper but why should I eat a healthy meal when I can have a Whopper for $1. Its really more complicated than they just need to eat healthier and cut down on the fast food. No one knows a true cause, but scientists have proved fat is not the cause. Lifestyle habits and social factors is what needs to be targeted to cut down on obesity.

Obesity can be genetic which makes it harder to prevent but like I said it doesn't necessarily mean you're unhealthy. Fat isn't bad, you can cut up a large person and their organs could be perfectly healthy. Traditional Inuit diet is very fatty yet they are healthy, same with Sumo wrestlers.When a person smokes it produces a lethal tar in your lungs and when you cut up a body of a heavy smoker you will see what looks like tar for your driveway.

Yes, Canadians and Americans are getting heavier but we are only on average 3-5 kg more than the previous generation. That's only 10 calories more a day which is minimal damage.In theory, if the obesity stats are correct—one out of three children should be fat, while one in four adults should be fat. I only see an obese person probably once is a few hundred. Also define obesity, is it a BMI of 25 or higher? BMI means nothing. If BMI was calculated then so many athletes would be considered obese. People who are underweight are more likely to die before a morbidly obese person does.

Yes being heavy will likely result in problems later in life with joints but I never heard of someone dying of a bad hip. Obesity is not a major problem and this so called epidemic is blown out of proportion. Lack of physical activity and poor dieting is a cause of bad health, heart disease and so on but this can happen to anyone not just obese people. Smoking causes cancer, fat doesn't but chemicals we eat do. High glucose syrup is horrible, someone who drinks 2L day can look skinny and healthy but is at more of a risk than a 300 pound who is active and eats right.

Why should we just target fat people? Not everyone who is fat is unhealthy. Atkins had a high carb diet and died of a suspected heart attack but some French guy had a high fat diet and died when he was 80 something. When they opened him up doctors said his heart, lungs, kidney was like a young mans. Being fat is not a problem. Obesity is so much harder to prevent especially when the cause is unknown. Smoking pure tobacco isn't as bad as cigarettes that put chemicals in them like rat poison, shoe polish. To prevent smoking all it takes is to stop smoking. I already said this before and its from health professionals, smoking leads the way in preventable cancer. Obesity is only at 5%.

P.S. I apolgize being off topic, its a slow week CFL news wise lol

paulwoods13
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry but I've got to ask what in the **** does any of this have anything to do with my original post ?

Precisely. This is the all-time thread hijack.

argotom
03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Speaking of hijack, let's ask this offseason question.
Who here smokes the legal cigs?
Never have either the legal or the wacky stuff.

ArgoGabe22
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Well geez its not the first time a threads been hijacked. Yea it got off topic but I don't see why you're so concerned. Its not like I even started it, someone just raises a few points I will post my own opinion and if someone follows up on it, if i feel I need too then I will post a reply. I'm a health major so I obviously have a passion for it.

In every forum a post will somehow get off topic, that's just how it is. I honestly don't get what your point is with that video. Are you're trying to attempt to "hijack" an already hijacked thread? If so at least in your Rudge thread you can clearly see how it got started. This is just random. If that's not the case then I apologize because I just don't get it. I usually keep my opinions to my self but I think Family Guy is the stupidest show ever created.

R.J
03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Cancer is no the number 1, at least of Oct. 2011, and the leading form of cancer is.................... Breast Cancer. Heart disease is #2, and #3 is strokes.
BTW people can easily get heart disease and strokes without smoking.

ArgoGabe22
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Cancer is no the number 1, at least of Oct. 2011, and the leading form of cancer is.................... Breast Cancer. Heart disease is #2, and #3 is strokes.
BTW people can easily get heart disease and strokes without smoking.

From what source? If its true then it is. All previous data is based from 2008, the last year stats can came out with a report.

People can get cancer from anything, I was arguing that smoking is worse than obesity and that smoking leads the way in preventable cancers/death.

Midnight Blue
03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SnowRogue http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?p=5099#post5099)
I'm sorry but I've got to ask what in the **** does any of this have anything to do with my original post ?

Precisely. This is the all-time thread hijack.

Sorry guys and gals, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but since approximately 20% of the population smokes (probably more, though the fun-police will say it is 15%), and since Mr. Rudge (and we all) want to improve attendance at the Skydome (sorry, I don't use the "R" word), I thought that if we smokers were allowed a place to step out for a puff at half-time, more people might be encouraged to visit the Dome, and hence increase attendance. I really thought this was entirely ON TOPIC. Hell, what greater topic could there be than increasing attendance at the Dome, so that this team doesn't fold? And the funny thing is, I'm just a part-time smoker -- only smoke after several drinks/beers. Personally, I don't care what people think of smoking, or us smokers -- I will always do what I want, and will always have fun. But if attendance at the Dome is an issue, I say again that it wouldn't hurt to have smokers feel welcome, by giving them/us a place (the outdoor patio/bar, which may still exist) where we can step out for a puff. And if I'm not mistaken, these are just the kind of issues which are Mr. Rudge's purvue. Hence the request.
Cheers !

R.J
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
No worries Midnight, I thought your post was spot on, wasn't your fault the thread got off topic. I'm in the same boat, it sucks essentially being "forced" to stay inside after I've been drinking. There should be a designated area outside for smokers to go out and in, I don't know if that would help sales, but couldn't hurt I suppose.

Midnight Blue
03-28-2012, 10:57 PM
No worries Midnight, I thought your post was spot on, wasn't your fault the thread got off topic. I'm in the same boat, it sucks essentially being "forced" to stay inside after I've been drinking. There should be a designated area outside for smokers to go out and in, I don't know if that would help sales, but couldn't hurt I suppose.

Thanks, SnowRogue ... and Cheers !

7dj83r8f78t4alf8