PDA

View Full Version : Barker on Prime Time Sports

R.J
04-19-2016, 07:15 PM
http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20160419_180057--Prime-Time-Sports---April-19---5pm.mp3
Starts just after the 29:10 mark.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Argos GM Jim Barker tells us what we've long expected: &quot;there looks like there will be tailgating&quot; outside BMO Field for Argos games. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/722541441411588098">April 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Neely2005
04-19-2016, 07:57 PM
That's great news. Still waiting on the details though.

rdavies
04-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Good interview (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20160419_180057--Prime-Time-Sports---April-19---5pm.mp3). Anyone notice Barker talking about how Tanenbaum was local ownership and McCoun said nothing re C and S. Also nice to see Barker selling the team and focusing on the younger demo.

Will
04-19-2016, 10:25 PM
Only Nixon could go to China?

R.J
04-20-2016, 12:57 PM
I wonder if McCown's tune will change now that Braley is gone ?
Would probably help if McCown is put on the Grey Cup committee.

paulwoods13
04-20-2016, 01:09 PM
I wonder if McCown's tune will change now that Braley is gone ?
Would probably help if McCown is put on the Grey Cup committee.

He was supposed to be on the 2012 committee but for some reason it never happened. IMO that committee was never intended to be a genuine committee but just a prop to give the Argo admin of the time the appearance of community outreach.

R.J
04-20-2016, 01:16 PM
He was supposed to be on the 2012 committee but for some reason it never happened. IMO that committee was never intended to be a genuine committee but just a prop to give the Argo admin of the time the appearance of community outreach.
McCown was given the boot last time, which has lead to the belief his tune towards the CFL and Argonauts changed around that time. Even though I rarely listen to his show now; I believe it's very important to get McCown on board.

paulwoods13
04-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Even though I rarely listen to his show now; I believe it's very important to get McCown on board.

100% agree. He's the most influential person in Toronto sports media (below the level of those who buy broadcast rights).

Golden Fleece
04-20-2016, 05:53 PM
McCown talked about a feud he had with Barker about a half hour before the GM came on for his interview. Not sure if they buried the hatchet, but at least he gave the impression that he was willing to let bygones be bygones and have Barker on his show again.

ArgoGabe22
04-20-2016, 06:28 PM
McCown talked about a feud he had with Barker about a half hour before the GM came on for his interview. Not sure if they buried the hatchet, but at least he gave the impression that he was willing to let bygones be bygones and have Barker on his show again.

Any details on the feud? Not sure if it was with McCown or not but I remember Barker once refusing to give details on why they released a player (Cory Boyd?)

R.J
04-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Any details on the feud? Not sure if it was with McCown or not but I remember Barker once refusing to give details on why they released a player (Cory Boyd?)
Lemon

Will
04-20-2016, 06:49 PM
All and all it wasn't a hostile interview I guess.
I'm not going to complain if the FAN decides to thaw relations with the Argos.

paulwoods13
04-20-2016, 07:33 PM
The Fan won't but mccown will. Just wait.

Golden Fleece
04-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Any details on the feud? Not sure if it was with McCown or not but I remember Barker once refusing to give details on why they released a player (Cory Boyd?) Here's what I recall. McCown claimed that when a rival radio station was starting (I'm presuming TSN 1050), Barker was speaking at an event and said that the new station was going to eat his [McCown's show] lunch. McCown spoke to Barker about it and reports that the latter denied saying it--which is what really got McCown's goat because he was 100% convinced Barker had said it. IIRC, this is the reason McCown hadn't had Barker on the show for the last 2-3 years. Keep in mind that I was navigating around a car accident while listening to this segment, so apologies in advance if I took any liberties paraphrasing.

Red Head
04-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Here's what I recall. McCown claimed that when a rival radio station was starting (I'm presuming TSN 1050), Barker was speaking at an event and said that the new station was going to eat his [McCown's show] lunch. McCown spoke to Barker about it and reports that the latter denied saying it--which is what really got McCown's goat because he was 100% convinced Barker had said it. IIRC, this is the reason McCown hadn't had Barker on the show for the last 2-3 years. Keep in mind that I was navigating around a car accident while listening to this segment, so apologies in advance if I took any liberties paraphrasing.

You are correct except it was not Barker that "dissed " McCown (as McCown called it) rather the ex President who McCown did not name so he stopped talking all things Argos and would not have anyone including Barker who he claims to be a friend on his show. They did laugh about Cleo Lemon and something Barker had said. Anyway hopefully Barker and other Argo stuff now gets back on the Prime Time because as much as I am tired of the show it still has lots of listeners.
As an aside my favourite drive sports is now by far TSN 1150 from Hamilton. They actually talk sports rather than just bullshit and laugh at each other like the new show on TSN. 1050. And I get it all the way to Oshawa which is a bonus on the way home.

Golden Fleece
04-20-2016, 10:02 PM
You are correct except it was not Barker that "dissed " McCown (as McCown called it) rather the ex President who McCown did not name so he stopped talking all things Argos and would not have anyone including Barker who he claims to be a friend on his show. They did laugh about Cleo Lemon and something Barker had said. Anyway hopefully Barker and other Argo stuff now gets back on the Prime Time because as much as I am tired of the show it still has lots of listeners.
As an aside my favourite drive sports is now by far TSN 1150 from Hamilton. They actually talk sports rather than just bullshit and laugh at each other like the new show on TSN. 1050. And I get it all the way to Oshawa which is a bonus on the way home.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

ArgoGabe22
04-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. This the first I've heard about this feud.

R.J
04-21-2016, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty sure McCown's issue was with Rudge. He brings up the "former" or "fired" President a couple of times. I also don't recall McCown ever saying anything about negative Barker - actually McCown has brought up quite a few times on air that he has no issue with Barker and that he considers him a friend. I do recall McCown stating multiple times that he's never been able to forgive the CFL for going exclusive with "that other network" and also has issues with the league for how Cynamon and Sokolowski were booted out.

AngeloV
04-21-2016, 09:59 AM

I've been on the Marsh and Milton bandwagon since Naylor moved to mornings. I do not like Hayes.

gilthethrill
04-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Can't help but wonder if Bobcat would discontinue talking Leafs if Harold Ballard was around to tick off McCown...haha.

Argo
04-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Lemon

The fact that he wasn't good enough should have been good enough (explanation).

jerrym
04-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Lemon left a bitter taste not only for poor play but also for dissing the fans at Rogers Centre in his last game to put the icing on the cake.

PullTogether73
04-21-2016, 12:13 PM
I've been on the Marsh and Milton bandwagon since Naylor moved to mornings. I do not like Hayes.

Don't like Hayes and O'Neill myself.

And I can't take Fan590 generally because I am not a baseball fan and they are SO heavy on baseball.

I have to remember to tune in to Marsh and Milton. I keep forgetting them as another option.

R.J
04-21-2016, 12:45 PM
It wasn't so much the release, but more so what happened during half time when Lemon was pulled in favour of Bell.
Anyone remember "The Extra Yard" ? It featured an episode when the incident occurred, although very little of it was shown, just what was happening around the situation so to speak. I do recall Barker chasing down Pinball, taking off the mic and asking the crew not to film them, then walking off with Pinball. Cut to Chad Owens; who was asked about it and brought up how riled up Lemon was - to which Owens thought he was just getting ready to for the next half and Lemon's reply was "nah dawg, I just got benched". Supposedly it was quite the scene and Lemon was released quickly after.

AngeloV
04-21-2016, 02:11 PM
It wasn't so much the release, but more so what happened during half time when Lemon was pulled in favour of Bell.
Anyone remember "The Extra Yard" ? It featured an episode when the incident occurred, although very little of it was shown, just what was happening around the situation so to speak. I do recall Barker chasing down Pinball, taking off the mic and asking the crew not to film them, then walking off with Pinball. Cut to Chad Owens; who was asked about it and brought up how riled up Lemon was - to which Owens thought he was just getting ready to for the next half and Lemon's reply was "nah dawg, I just got benched". Supposedly it was quite the scene and Lemon was released quickly after.

I took a lot of flack on here for defending Lemon as a player. Even I had to admit at the time though, that he handled that very unprofessionally. He was much better than Bell, IMO, but you don't show up your coach the way he did. Especially considering the way Barker had handled him up to that point.

R.J
04-21-2016, 02:17 PM
I took a lot of flack on here for defending Lemon as a player. Even I had to admit at the time though, that he handled that very unprofessionally. He was much better than Bell, IMO, but you don't show up your coach the way he did. Especially considering the way Barker had handled him up to that point.
Those were some dark days - I remember FOA not being the funnest place in the world at that time. If people think the Collaors vs Ray vs Harris thing is bad - they should be happy that's the worst of it.

jerrym
04-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Lemon left a bitter taste not only for poor play but also for dissing the fans at Rogers Centre in his last game to put the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the elaboration on what I said. I remember it well.

LLB997
04-22-2016, 01:03 AM
McClown is a goof and i see no need to bring him back into the CFL fold after years of dumping on the league. He even admits that he was dissed at a party so he ignored the CFL because of it. Worlds oldest child. He's a dinosaur, the young demo doesnt even know who he is. hope he is banned from BMO XD

Neely2005
04-22-2016, 07:48 AM
McClown is a goof and i see no need to bring him back into the CFL fold after years of dumping on the league. He even admits that he was dissed at a party so he ignored the CFL because of it. Worlds oldest child. He's a dinosaur, the young demo doesnt even know who he is. hope he is banned from BMO XD

He also has the highest rated sports talk show in the country. So having him talk about the Argonauts and the CFL is only going to help the team.

Scooter McCray
04-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Lots of guests have rubbed BM the wrong way over the years and they have been banned from his show. Unfortunately the CFL is the only league that got banned from his show. He obviously would never ban discussions of the other major leagues. This was unfortunate and unprofessional. Having said that if he is ready to talk CFL and Argos again it will help make the team relevant in the city again.

AngeloV
04-22-2016, 11:18 AM
To use a term that he has used on many an aging player, McCowan is a thousand years old, so it's anyone's guess as to how long he continues. For now, I do believe the Argos should use him for positive publicity, but it comes with a risk. Do anything to piss him off, and he will do what he can to try an ruin them.

R.J
04-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Lots of guests have rubbed BM the wrong way over the years and they have been banned from his show. Unfortunately the CFL is the only league that got banned from his show. He obviously would never ban discussions of the other major leagues. This was unfortunate and unprofessional. Having said that if he is ready to talk CFL and Argos again it will help make the team relevant in the city again.
Bob's didn't ban the CFL on his show - he stopped talking Argos. He's had Jeffrey Orridge, Ticats C.E.O Scott Mitchell, and Ticats GM Eric Tillman on Primetime Sports a few times within the last 6 months. Mitchell and Tillman are guests on his show a few times a year.

To use a term that he has used on many an aging player, McCowan is a thousand years old, so it's anyone's guess as to how long he continues. For now, I do believe the Argos should use him for positive publicity, but it comes with a risk. Do anything to piss him off, and he will do what he can to try an ruin them.
I agree - Bob's ego has gotten the better of him for quite some time now, which I've always found odd since he has little time for players because of their egos. Anyways, the fact of the reality is Primetime Sports is the most listened to sports radio show in the Country and more specifically the GTA - it could be useful having Bob on our side.

LLB997
04-23-2016, 12:36 AM
He also has the highest rated sports talk show in the country. So having him talk about the Argonauts and the CFL is only going to help the team.

Donald trump is making world headlines and i wouldnt want him talking up Argos to the media. Bob is a complete cynic. He puts a negative spin on something even when he praises it. The Leagues mandate is to sell itself to 20 somethings and McClown will not acheive that as his demographic are 40 something sports haters (baseball,golf fans).

He's 1 of those goofs you have to walk on eggshells around for fear of bruising his fragile narcissitic ego. The day the CFL makes nice with Bob will be Day 1 of the countdown to the day he bans the CFL from his show again.

The best scenario is a distant relationship i.e. Barker coming on the show. The last thing we need is nonsense ideas like him being involved in grey cup commitee's and stuff like that. Why does it have to be all or nothing with this guy?

Ron
04-23-2016, 04:43 AM
Donald trump is making world headlines and i wouldnt want him talking up Argos to the media. Bob is a complete cynic. He puts a negative spin on something even when he praises it. The Leagues mandate is to sell itself to 20 somethings and McClown will not acheive that as his demographic are 40 something sports haters (baseball,golf fans).

He's 1 of those goofs you have to walk on eggshells around for fear of bruising his fragile narcissitic ego. The day the CFL makes nice with Bob will be Day 1 of the countdown to the day he bans the CFL from his show again.

The best scenario is a distant relationship i.e. Barker coming on the show. The last thing we need is nonsense ideas like him being involved in grey cup commitee's and stuff like that. Why does it have to be all or nothing with this guy?

So if I have this right .... You are really mad at Bob because he's just like you?

Neely2005
04-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Who said that it has to be all or nothing?

You're the one who is hoping that he's banned from BMO Field. That seems like an all or nothing attitude to me.

argolio
04-23-2016, 01:16 PM
The best scenario is a distant relationship i.e. Barker coming on the show.Seems like that's what's happening. Not warm and fuzzy, but also not completely shut out.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8