PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Campbell retires

paulwoods13
05-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Barker looking pretty smart.

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/03/riders-american-offensive-tackle-retires/

jerrym
05-03-2016, 12:15 PM
I wonder if the serious disease he had earlier in his life or injuries have taken their toll on Campbel at a relatively young football age or if he wasn't comfortable playing in Canada and Barker had some sense of this.

Campbell was a high school standout in both basketball and football, but during his sophomore year he was diagnosed with Chiari malformation, a rare disease where tissues in the brain can extend into the spinal column. He was told it was serious, he would need surgery and he faced a very uncertain future.
“It was going to happen, it was going to happen no matter what so I needed to have [surgery],” Campbell told Metro New York. “Basically — and I'm no doctor — but basically my spine and my skull stayed the same length as I was growing. And it needs to separate so the brain fluid can flow properly to my head. I was told I needed to have that surgery so I really didn't have a choice.”
Campbell was told before the surgery he might never play sports again — right as colleges were beginning to show interest in the sophomore as a basketball or football player. The surgery took place during his sophomore year and caused him to miss “a month-and-a-half” until he was finally able to walk again. But there were no serious complications and no red flags that would keep him from resuming a normal life again — including sports.
“I was able to come back and play both sports again, no limitations,” Campbell said. “That was great to be able to do that, to go on the field, go on the court and play. Just be a normal kid.”
But he isn't exactly a “normal kid” — not when you are 6-foot-7 and 272 pounds during your final year of prep school at the prestigious Hargrave Military Academy. His father was college basketball star and NBA player Bruce “Soup” Campbell, and he certainly didn't look or play normal.
The sports world was beginning to take notice. At Hargrave, Rivals.com listed the offensive tackle as a five-star recruit and the No. 3 prep player in the nation. He went on to play at Maryland.
His NFL career certainly hasn't matched the impressive numbers he put up at the 2010 NFL Combine, where he ran a 4.75-second time at 314 pounds in the 40-yard dash and rattled off 34 repetitions on the bench press. The Raiders drafted him in the fourth round, intrigued by his measurables, but sent him to the Panthers two years later for current Jets running back Mike Goodson.

http://www.metro.us/sports/bruce-campbell-goes-from-life-threatening-disease-to-nfl-career/tmWnfr---84q1db5rEaEr6/

gilthethrill
05-03-2016, 05:57 PM
A casualty of the low Canadian $$$ perhaps.

jerrym
05-05-2016, 12:04 PM
A casualty of the low Canadian $$$ perhaps.

Definitely another possible reason he retired.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8