PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Rank CFL Quarterback Depth?

jerrym
05-05-2016, 11:34 PM
The following article discusses the depth situation at each of the CFL franchises. I've only quoted from the Argo, Redblack and Tiger-Cat QB (the former Argo QBs situations but all teams' QB situations are summarized.

IMO, the Redblacks with Harris and Burris have the most depth, while the Argos have an untested backup in Kilgore who shows some promise, a very limited veteran in McPherson and a hope that they can sign Fajardo, who looks promising but lacks any experience beyond mini-camp.

How do you see the QB situation around the league?

And if the last two years are any indication, you’ll need more than one and maybe a third or fourth to win in the CFL.At times it’s been a battle of attrition for teams behind centre. The bad news: there have been too many injuries to stars like Darian Durant, Ricky Ray, Zach Collaros and Mike Reilly.
The good news: Jonathon Jennings, Rakeem Cato, Trevor Harris and James Franklin have gotten some of the spot light and looked like hidden gems. ...

The Ottawa REDBLACKS have two prime time starters in Henry Burris and Trevor Harris. The problem is whether it will be a blessing or a curse. A quarterback controversy won’t be hard to stir up at all if things are shaky to start with an offensive system being put in by new coordinator Jaime Elizondo, who has worked with Harris most recently in Toronto. But aside from the potential gnashing of teeth outside the locker room, Burris and Harris stand out as a powerful duo for the REDBLACKS to rely on if injuries creep in. It has been a remarkable run of health for Burris who, in his 40s, surely can’t be relied upon to go 14-18 games. ...
After Zach Collaros, they have the most depth behind #1 and #2 but the reason they aren’t higher is quantity does not equal quality. And when your number two is a big time question mark, that could be scary but in the Tiger-Cats’ case it is not. Jeremiah Masoli can win, as he proved in last year’s playoffs. Jacory Harris hasn’t reached his ceiling. Jeff Mathews definitely has the makings of a CFL quarterback and who knows what Kent Austin and newly appointed General Manager Eric Tillman have found in Jake Waters. With some questions over Collaros’ health for Week 1 of the season, Hamilton’s depth could be tested early, though there shouldn’t be too much anxiety in Tiger Town if Collaros needs a few more weeks to heal from the knee injury that ended a Most Outstanding Player calibre season. ...

The Argonauts don’t even have that. Logan Kilgore has been in Toronto to see the CFL game from the sideline but now has to take the bull by the horns and become to Ricky Ray what Zach Collaros and Trevor Harris were able to do. Those two case studies help make the case in Toronto that GM Jim Barker and Head Coach Scott Milanovich can find and develop the quarterback talent with the help of offensive coordinator and QBs coach Marcus Brady.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/03/nye-success-starts-centre-will-2016/

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="cosymantecnisbfw" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: -webkit-standard; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

PullTogether73
05-06-2016, 01:24 AM
Given the continuity and success rate of the Stampeders, I have to give a slight edge to the tandem of Bo Levi Mitchell and Drew Tate.
Ottawa's tandem looks good on paper, but until I see Harris play in Ottawa's system and with their receivers, I will reserve judgement.

KCargosfan
05-06-2016, 03:44 AM
So with depth you would be rating the back-ups, correct?

Hmm. Well, I guess I would go like this...

1. Travis Lulay.

2. Trevor Harris.

3. Drew Tate.

4. Kevin Glenn (assuming he is the back-up in Montreal)

5. Brett Smith

6. James Franklin

7. Jeremiah Masoli.

8. Kilgore. A complete unknown.

9. Whatever schmuck the Peg has backing up Willy

PullTogether73
05-06-2016, 04:49 AM
@KCargosfan...
I see where you went with your ranking, and can understand how you came to that.
I believe Kevin Glenn is actually Montreal's starter, making Rakeem Cato the backup. That may or may not change that ranking.
For me, I looked at the first and second string QBs together. I need to see more of Jennings in B.C. to trust that he is a number 1 QB. If he is, then putting B.C. (and Lulay) at the top of the list is plausible imo.

ArgoRavi
05-06-2016, 12:27 PM
So with depth you would be rating the back-ups, correct?

Hmm. Well, I guess I would go like this...

1. Travis Lulay.

2. Trevor Harris.

3. Drew Tate.

4. Kevin Glenn (assuming he is the back-up in Montreal)

5. Brett Smith

6. James Franklin

7. Jeremiah Masoli.

8. Kilgore. A complete unknown.

9. Whatever schmuck the Peg has backing up Willy

As mentioned in another post, Glenn is the starter in Montreal. The backup in Winnipeg is Matt Nichols which may or may not make any difference in your rankings.

R.J
05-06-2016, 01:27 PM
If I had to rank them based on depth and not solely the starters - I'd go with:
1. Calgary
2. Ottawa
And here's where it gets tricky due to multiple unknowns - it could easily be the reverse order.
3. Edmonton - Franklin showed well IMO, but limited reps
4. Saskatchewan - A healthy Durant and Smith IMO showed to be a decent back-up, but I don't think Smith is starting material.
5. BC - Jennings limited reps, but Lulay can still play if healthy.
6. Toronto - A healthy Ray means a lot, but Kilgore and Fajardo are question marks.
7. Winnipeg - Not sold on Willy as a starter and Nichols is a lower end back-up IMO.
8. Hamilton - Collaros healthy would move them up, but I'm not sold on Masoli and IMO Matthews is a walking pylon.
9. Montreal - Glenn is not a top end starter, I think Cato is ridiculously overrated and while I think Brdige has the talent 1 nothing game doesn't make a career.

OV Argo
05-06-2016, 10:55 PM
If I had to rank them based on depth and not solely the starters - I'd go with:
1. Calgary
2. Ottawa
And here's where it gets tricky due to multiple unknowns - it could easily be the reverse order.
3. Edmonton - Franklin showed well IMO, but limited reps
4. Saskatchewan - A healthy Durant and Smith IMO showed to be a decent back-up, but I don't think Smith is starting material.
5. BC - Jennings limited reps, but Lulay can still play if healthy.
6. Toronto - A healthy Ray means a lot, but Kilgore and Fajardo are question marks.
7. Winnipeg - Not sold on Willy as a starter and Nichols is a lower end back-up IMO.
8. Hamilton - Collaros healthy would move them up, but I'm not sold on Masoli and IMO Matthews is a walking pylon.
9. Montreal - Glenn is not a top end starter, I think Cato is ridiculously overrated and while I think Brdige has the talent 1 nothing game doesn't make a career.

Hmm - have to disagree on Cato with Montreal - IMO he flashed some excellent talent for a young QB last year, and I'll bet on him having the potential to be a very good CFL starter; Glenn is just a stop-gap there for the sake of some CFL experience; Bridge has LOTS of potential IMO.

Agreed - on not being sold on Willy as a starter for the Bummers - guy is mediocre to average at best and they will never win much with him as the starter; Nichols is no answer either IMO - iffy at best. The Bombers should be buried at last in CFL QB rankings IMO.

Reilly, with Franklin as a good young up and comer should have the Esks near the top IMO.

R.J
05-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Hmm - have to disagree on Cato with Montreal - IMO he flashed some excellent talent for a young QB last year, and I'll bet on him having the potential to be a very good CFL starter; Glenn is just a stop-gap there for the sake of some CFL experience; Bridge has LOTS of potential IMO.
Agree about Bridge - Cato not so much.

KCargosfan
05-07-2016, 03:12 AM
@KCargosfan...
I see where you went with your ranking, and can understand how you came to that.
I believe Kevin Glenn is actually Montreal's starter, making Rakeem Cato the backup. That may or may not change that ranking.
For me, I looked at the first and second string QBs together. I need to see more of Jennings in B.C. to trust that he is a number 1 QB. If he is, then putting B.C. (and Lulay) at the top of the list is plausible imo.

I think the Als are nuts if they are starting Glenn. It's not 2006-2012 anymore.

That said, my rankings would stay the same. Matt Nichols has never impressed me.

AngeloV
05-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Agreed - on not being sold on Willy as a starter for the Bummers - guy is mediocre to average at best and they will never win much with him as the starter; Nichols is no answer either IMO - iffy at best. The Bombers should be buried at last in CFL QB rankings IMO.

I really disagree on Willy. The only issue he has had is that he's gotten killed the last 2 years on that team. Their record in games that he finishes is actually quite good.

OV Argo
05-07-2016, 09:45 AM
I really disagree on Willy. The only issue he has had is that he's gotten killed the last 2 years on that team. Their record in games that he finishes is actually quite good.

We shall see this season, if he can stay healthy, and with his CFL experience now; I hope he does well for getting the Bummers & O'Shea past hapless. ;o)

I thought he was pretty decent when he was first starting for the Bummers ... till I saw him live/ in person against the RedBlacks - missed open receivers far too many times and was hesitant in decision making and not mobile enough - seemed more glaring watching from the stands as opposed to seeing him on TV.

jerrym
05-07-2016, 02:20 PM

IMO Cato showed a lot of uncoachable quick adaptation to the QB position in Canadian football when he was so quickly thrown in as a starter and could develop into a first stringer, as could Bridge who stands out for a different reason - his arm.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8