PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign WR Samie Parker, QB Trevor Harris, DB Matt Estrada

Argonauter
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-add-receiver-quarterback-and-safety

ARGONAUTS.CA STAFF

MISSISSAUGA – The Toronto Argonauts Football Club is pleased to welcome WR Samie Parker (http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/4825), QB Trevor Harris (http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/4827), and DS Matt Estrada (http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/4823). Parker and Estrada have signed contracts through the 2013 season and Harris inked a contract through 2014.

Samie Parker played 47 regular season games over four years in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs. His career totals include 110 catches for 1,529 yards and 7 touchdowns. A track star and football player over five years at Oregon, Parker left the Ducks in 2003 as the program’s all-time career receiver in both receptions and receiving yards. During the 2003 Sun Bowl, he shattered records when he caught 16 passes for 200 yards and 2 touchdowns. More recently, he’s won back-to-back UFL championships as a member of the Las Vegas Locomotives and has been a member of the AFL’s Chicago Rush.

Trevor Harris owns every significant single game, season and career passing record for Edinboro University. A four-year starter, he missed one game in his career due to knee surgery; then returned the very next week to reclaim his position. He was a two-time finalist for the Harlon Hill trophy as the NCAA Division II MVP and was a final cut out of Jacksonville Jaguars’ 2010 training camp. He has also played for the Arizona Rattlers of the AFL, as well as the UFL’s Sacramento Mountain Lions.

If you type Matt Estrada’s name into YouTube, you’ll quickly find a highlight pack of one of the hardest hitting defensive backs in college football. As a three-year member of the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, his toughness and tenacity earned him two All-Conference nominations as a defensive back. Estrada transferred to Northern Arizona from Fullerton Junior College where he played one season and earned Second Team All-Mission, even returning two kickoffs for touchdowns. He began his career as a redshirt freshman at Idaho. In 2011, Estrada was a member of the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice roster for 13 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OlrPrpGFvA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sYuxagnAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ij1BHVrFB0

dmont
03-29-2012, 11:42 AM

I only watched about a minute-15 of Estrada's highlights, but one thing I noticed is that he doesn't wrap up. That drives me nuts. Hard hits look nice in the highlights, but not wrapping up = missed tackles in the CFL.

1argoholic
03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Harris is a big qb but he can also run which is nice. Estrada does like to stick his nose in there for sure but I hate the not wrapping up part as well. Obviously Parker can play. Now we shall see what they show the Argo brass at camp.
SWEET to hear some news!!!!!

ArgoGabe22
03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
When I heard we signed Parker first thing that crossed my mind was Bethel Johnson.

Argonut
03-29-2012, 06:10 PM
I was reading up on this quarterback He has true leadership skills and takes charge where ever he goes. Is very, very confident... sometimes a bit to cocky and can be abrasive He has the ability to run with the ball and a good arm. The cons with himis that he puts too much confidence in his abilities (Michael Bishop anyone?) Theknock against him making an Nfl team is that his style of play is not suited being confined in tight quarters but that should not be an issue in Our League I think he is going to be our quarterback of the future given that he signed a three year deal instead of the common two I think BJ Hall is done.
I would like to hear what KC Argo has to say about Parker

I was reading up on this quarterback He has true leadership skills and takes charge where ever he goes. Is very, very confident... sometimes a bit to cocky and can be abrasive He has the ability to run with the ball and a good arm. The cons with himis that he puts too much confidence in his abilities (Michael Bishop anyone?) Theknock against him making an Nfl team is that his style of play is not suited being confined in tight quarters but that should not be an issue in Our League I think he is going to be our quarterback of the future given that he signed a three year deal instead of the common two I think BJ Hall is done.
I would like to hear what KC Argo has to say about Parker What happened to all my periods?

1argoholic
03-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I know I'll rip through typing up a post then I read it after I post the mess. hahaha. Your second post made me laugh.

Argonut
03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
I know I'll rip through typing up a post then I read it after I post the mess. hahaha. Your second post made me laugh.Damn!It's these new touch screen tablets It takes me a half an hour to type two lines because i keep hitting the wrong areas of the screen

KCargosfan
03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Parker is kind of a smaller guy with lots of speed – he can really fly (track star at Oregon). But his hands aren't all that great. The bigger field of the CFL will benefit him greatly IF he can finalize the catch. He's worth a shot bringing in. I'd say he's similar to Chad Owens, but a little taller and probably faster.

ArgoRavi
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
When I heard we signed Parker first thing that crossed my mind was Bethel Johnson.

The first thing that I thought of is what will KCargofan think as he would be quite familiar with Parker.

Damn!It's these new touch screen tablets It takes me a half an hour to type two lines because i keep hitting the wrong areas of the screen

I finally broke down recently and got a superphone from Bell (I sure wasn't giving Rogers any business). Having to tap the screen to post is a bit of an adjustment.

KCargosfan
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Here's a recent article on Parker from the Independent weekly newspaper in Kansas City.

http://www.pitch.com/gyrobase/samie-parker-kansas-city-chiefs-command/Content?oid=2800873&storyPage=1

gilthethrill
03-29-2012, 08:25 PM
After voicing my displeasure on another thread about TSN radio not having enough Argo content, Samie Parker will be a guest on Game Day with Mike Hogan and the veteran Jim Tatti at 2100 hours tonight....also known as 9pm.

DanTheFan
03-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Here's a recent article on Parker from the Independent weekly newspaper in Kansas City.

http://www.pitch.com/gyrobase/samie-parker-kansas-city-chiefs-command/Content?oid=2800873&storyPage=1

LOL at the 2 comments underneath.

Area 51
03-29-2012, 09:20 PM

I only watched about a minute-15 of Estrada's highlights, but one thing I noticed is that he doesn't wrap up. That drives me nuts. Hard hits look nice in the highlights, but not wrapping up = missed tackles in the CFL.

That's what got David Hyland cut from BC. Huge hitting S, but would end up missing too many tackles going for the knockout hit. But at the same time, Toronto could really use the intimidation factor of a couple of big hitters in the secondary and LB corp and Estrada looks like he can lay the wood. Prototypical Chris Jones player - - agressive and hard hitting. Hopefully a sign of hte style he envisions for the defence.

argotom
03-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Since I do not follow the NFL, was this guy any good and does he have anything left in the tank.
Or is this one of those failed projects made (in)famous by the Argos such as Rison, et...

ArgoRavi
03-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Did my eyes deceive me? There's a player named O.J. Simpson on that AFL team?

Parker's pro football future is clearly no longer in the NFL given his age and salary.

UncleFester
03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Parker is kind of a smaller guy with lots of speed – he can really fly (track star at Oregon). But his hands aren't all that great. The bigger field of the CFL will benefit him greatly IF he can finalize the catch. He's worth a shot bringing in. I'd say he's similar to Chad Owens, but a little taller and probably faster.

Wow...faster than CO then the dude can FLY!!!

OV Argo
03-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Wow...faster than CO then the dude can FLY!!!

Yeah - and what happened with Argo draft pick Steven Turner who smashed the CFL E-Camp 40 time record a couple of years back?

Another QB for TC competition - to fight for the 3rd stringer job with Hall and Trafalis; wasn't some poster here hoping for the Argos to draft Quinlan for a look at QB? - ya figure?

argolio
03-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Another QB for TC competition - to fight for the 3rd stringer job with Hall and Trafalis; wasn't some poster here hoping for the Argos to draft Quinlan for a look at QB? - ya figure?They could always cut Hall if they drafted Quinlan, or they might not have any interest in him.

OV Argo
03-29-2012, 11:38 PM
They could always cut Hall if they drafted Quinlan, or they might not have any interest in him.

Yeah they could cut Hall; didn't they cut Brannagan to keep him though?; and besides - NI QBs are so far behind guys like Hall or this new guy - they would take years to "develop" - so, tough decision or pill to swallow.

argolio
03-29-2012, 11:49 PM
For what it's worth I thought Hall had a better 2011 camp than Brannagan, but I doubt Hall will make this year's team even if he makes it to camp.

R.J
03-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah they could cut Hall; didn't they cut Brannagan to keep him though?; and besides - NI QBs are so far behind guys like Hall or this new guy - they would take years to "develop" - so, tough decision or pill to swallow.
I would think that now would be the time to take the chance to develop a guy like Quinlan, with the consistent Ray as the starter, Jackson as the back-up, and Tafralis also in the fold, not to mention having both Milanovich and Maas as coaches I would think the time is now. Obviously just my opinion and I know how you feel about Canadian QB's and the ratio OV, I could honestly see this being the PERFECT time to actual "waste" time on developing a young QB for the future................ Remind me again the last time the Argos did that ? lol

KCargosfan
03-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Since I do not follow the NFL, was this guy any good and does he have anything left in the tank.
Or is this one of those failed projects made (in)famous by the Argos such as Rison, et...

He was OK. Had dropsie problems at times, but had the disadvantage of being the 4th or 5th WR on a team that was transitioning from pass-happy Dick Vermeil to run-happy Herm Edwards. His fourth year in KC he also had lackeys like Brody Croyle and Tyler Thigpen throwing him the ball after Trent Green his first 3 years.

I'd say he's got something left in the tank, as he is much younger than Rison when the Argos signed him. Rison was 37 and Parker just turned 31.

If he can hold onto the ball and learn the Canadian game, I'd say he can be an asset.

paulwoods13
03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
I would think that now would be the time to take the chance to develop a guy like Quinlan, with the consistent Ray as the starter, Jackson as the back-up, and Tafralis also in the fold, not to mention having both Milanovich and Maas as coaches I would think the time is now. Obviously just my opinion and I know how you feel about Canadian QB's and the ratio OV, I could honestly see this being the PERFECT time to actual "waste" time on developing a young QB for the future................ Remind me again the last time the Argos did that ? lol

Best scenario would be to draft Quinlan and either keep him around all season as 4th string or send him back to McMaster with assurances he will re-sign for 2013. He's a better prospect than Brannagan because he has better footwork when passing and is a stronger runner, not to mention he's bigger. He would definitely be worth taking a chance on if he's still available when our second pick (which I seem to recall is around 24th) comes along.

jerrym
03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
I think what the Argos need more than a fast receiver with a tendency to dropsy (one is OK but we've already got too many of them) is a Ben Cahoon/Dave Stala type possession receiver to sustain drives. Last year it seemed that if the qb could find a receiver, he then proceeded to drop very catchable balls again and again, killing the drive.

Ballstothewall
03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I think the Argos should sign, Scott Ross, I mean why not, he's still got some gas in the tank

AngeloV
03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Where did Barker find the time to sign these guys AND judge cheerleaders? :D

Yeah - and what happened with Argo draft pick Steven Turner who smashed the CFL E-Camp 40 time record a couple of years back?

Turner had a horrible camp last year. Couldn't catch a cold any of the days I was there.

1argoholic
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Scott Ross is more of a beer league guy at this point plus he doesn't play well with others. He might just get way to many penalties. He hasn't lost a step he's just lost. Last I heard he was playing for The Old Credit Brewery Guzzlers

OV Argo
03-30-2012, 05:23 PM
I think what the Argos need more than a fast receiver with a tendency to dropsy (one is OK but we've already got too many of them) is a Ben Cahoon/Dave Stala type possession receiver to sustain drives. Last year it seemed that if the qb could find a receiver, he then proceeded to drop very catchable balls again and again, killing the drive.

I've been saying that about the Argos receiving corps needs for years now (and Copeland was that and more in his prime); and still burns me that Stala sat around for most of an off-season , un-signed as a FA, till the Ticats signed him. The Argos might be tempted to take one of the big-target receivers up in this draft (Charbonneau-Campeau or Brescacin) at #9 with their first pick - and one of them could be that type of receiver maybe; but maybe Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino could be that type of solid possession receiver? (and I suspect it will be all imports at receiver for this team anyways, outside of Durie if his role/position is kept); and maybe the Argos are looking at another position in the draft - which could mean the best receiver prospects are gone by the time they pick again at #24?

Turner had a horrible camp last year. Couldn't catch a cold any of the days I was there.

Yep - and guys who are mostly just burners with hands of stone or lacking other receiver finesse skills - we've seen enough of them with the Argos - sounds like a possible knock on Parker - but maybe he could put together a great CFL season with all his pro experience - has to pick-up the nuances of CFL offence though.

AngeloV
03-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Yep - and guys who are mostly just burners with hands of stone or lacking other receiver finesse skills - we've seen enough of them with the Argos - sounds like a possible knock on Parker - but maybe he could put together a great CFL season with all his pro experience - has to pick-up the nuances of CFL offence though.

I agree. Nothing wrong with bringing him in and see if he can turn a few heads. At the very least the competition should bring out the best in the rest of the receivers he is competing against.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8