PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Grey Cup Team to be honoured?

Stevoman
05-15-2016, 03:47 PM
I have a feeling that some within the Argonauts organization view this forum and so I post this question: 20 years since the first of our back to back championships led by Doug Flutie, is anything being done to honour this team? I would love for them to have a reunion for the week 9 game (Aug. 20th) against Edmonton (Grey Cup opponent). I felt that the 91 team reunion was well organized and would like to see something similar done with this team. Archival footage available via their website and a reunion dinner open to the public, along with maybe even wearing the "Jason" era uniform would all be great. I'm also hoping to see team championship banners and team history on display at BMO (with TFC also having their share of displays as well). The Argos have such a rich history and I'm hoping for it to be recognized much more under the new ownership.

Will
05-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Given that it was a back-to-back championship, the Argos do have the option of doing this next year to mark the 20th anniversary of the 1997 victory. These two teams definitely deserve the honor as the 1997 team is arguably the greatest team ever assembled in the history of the Canadian Football League. I think what you'd see is the Argos honor the 1996 and 1997 teams at the same time. This is what the Blue Jays did in 2009 when they honored the 1992 and 1993 teams. I don't think there were significant changes between the two years except that Derrell Mitchell joined the team in 1997. You can also work in some sort of Norm Casola tribute to the thing as well.

jerrym
05-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Given that it was a back-to-back championship, the Argos do have the option of doing this next year to mark the 20th anniversary of the 1997 victory. These two teams definitely deserve the honor as the 1997 team is arguably the greatest team ever assembled in the history of the Canadian Football League. I think what you'd see is the Argos honor the 1996 and 1997 teams at the same time.
IMO theses were the two greatest Argo teams of all time and possibly the greatest CFL teams, although the Eskimos of 78-82 would rank up there also.

timlb01
05-15-2016, 05:32 PM
Given that it was a back-to-back championship, the Argos do have the option of doing this next year to mark the 20th anniversary of the 1997 victory. These two teams definitely deserve the honor as the 1997 team is arguably the greatest team ever assembled in the history of the Canadian Football League. I think what you'd see is the Argos honor the 1996 and 1997 teams at the same time. This is what the Blue Jays did in 2009 when they honored the 1992 and 1993 teams. I don't think there were significant changes between the two years except that Derrell Mitchell joined the team in 1997. You can also work in some sort of Norm Casola tribute to the thing as well.

I think these were definitely the greatest football teams in the history of football. As long as the game is played under CFL rules this team could have beaten any team throughout the history of football. I enjoyed these two years so much. Maybe my favourite years ever. I did love the 1982 / 83 seasons along with the extra hyped 1991 season. Just from a pure football perspective these guys were the best from the coaching staff to the water boy.

PullTogether73
05-15-2016, 06:14 PM
(with TFC also having their share of displays as well).

Kind of you to be equitable with the co-tenants, but you realize that TFC have nothing to celebrate or display.:p

7dj83r8f78t4alf8