PDA

View Full Version : Argos trying to bring back football culture to missed generations - Toronto Star

BATKINSON001
05-16-2016, 10:15 PM
https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2016/05/16/argos-trying-to-bring-back-football-culture-to-missed-generations.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Argos trying to bring back football culture to missed generations

The Argos will roll out a marketing campaign this week aimed at awakening latent interest among younger adults. Last week the team unveiled redesigned jerseys and casual wear as part of the CFL's new partnership with adidas. (CFL)
By Morgan CampbellStaff Reporter
7:10 PM, Mon., May 16, 2016

Four weeks before the CFL regular season kicks off, the Toronto Argonauts’ brain trust has already drawn up its first blitz.

This one involves marketing.

In the lead-up to the Argos’ first season at BMO Field, the club plans to plaster the city with ads — on TV, radio, bus shelters and more — hoping to boost ticket sales to games at the team’s new home.

The ad campaign is part of a broader brand makeover aimed at making the team relevant again. Overtaking one of the city’s Big Three pro sports franchises might not be realistic, but Argos executives think a renewed marketing buzz could propel the club to a less-distant fourth place in local fans’ minds.

Outdoor ads are set appear this week in the neighbourhood surrounding BMO Field.

“It will show our players in a whole new way,” Argos president Michael Copeland said during a conference call Monday. “It will really re-ignite the conversation around Argos football.”

It’s nearly impossible for the club to have a smaller footprint than they had last season, when the Pan Am Games kept the Argos away from their home field until August. Later in the season, Blue Jays playoff games at the Rogers Centre forced the Argos to play “home” games in Hamilton and Ottawa.

The team’s absence from its home stadium had a drag on attendance. The Argos averaged 12,430 at home games last season, a figure that includes the sparse crowds at the out-of-market games the team hosted.

The Star commissioned a poll late last year that found only two per cent of sports fans in Toronto listed the Argos as their primary rooting interest, tying them with Toronto FC but placing them well behind the Jays, Raptors and Leafs.

Not a single respondent between 18 and 34 identified as an Argos fan, but the club is confident the re-brand and move to BMO will help re-engage younger fans who have avoided home games at the cavernous Rogers Centre.

Argos executive Sara Moore says the club conducted extensive market research before embarking on its marketing program. She says younger adults routinely reported being open to embracing the Argos if the club could deliver an engaging game-day experience.

Specifically, they wanted to tailgate.

“In this market there never really has been great football culture,” says Moore, the Argos’ senior vice-president of business operations. “There are a couple generations here that haven’t been immersed in what is the best game-day experience . . . That’s been missing and that is everything we’re creating and investing in.”

To craft a campaign that speaks to the cherished 18-to-34 demographic, the club enlisted Bensimon Byrne, the same Toronto-based ad agency that oversaw the CFL’s re-brand late last year.

That movement kicked off during Grey Cup week with “What We’re Made Of,” a commercial that stresses the league’s national appeal and local flavour. In Calgary, a man riding a white horse holds a Stampeders flag overhead, while in the next shot a beefy offensive lineman-type grips a rope and pulls a tractor across a flat stretch of Saskatchewan highway.

One shot features the Argos sprinting onto their home field, and another features longtime receiver Chad Owens flexing his muscles for the camera.

But Owens, one of the club’s most recognizable players, signed with Hamilton this winter, depriving the club of a familiar, marketable face.

Similarly, Moore acknowledges re-branding risks the equity a company has built among loyal fans but says the gamble is minimal here because previous Argos regimes haven’t invested in cultivating younger fans.

“The fans we have now didn’t become fans at 55,” Moore said. “We got them when they were young. The problem is the Argos haven’t gone back to that well and captured more of those 20-somethings.”

timlb01
05-17-2016, 09:43 AM
I absolutely despise how they report last years average home attendance. With the 4k average at THF how the hell is that fair to keep rubbing that into our faces. I still think when you consider TFC in that poll tied us that really tells you something. TFC has had all kinds of marketing and hype. A good stadium and have had there chance with a Rocket Ismail type last year. Surely we will sell every single game out this year. A healthy Toronto will only help Hamilton's attendance and other revenue streams.

Downtownfan
05-17-2016, 10:19 AM
That article is so typical of the Star's' reporting the last few years-- mostly a rehash of what has been bad in the past, with very little on what is actually happening now and in the future. Remember when the Argos had 36k at a preseason game a few years ago, and they sent a reporter to interview kids on why the NFL was better? Compare it to Penton's piece in the Sun, which actually provides readers some information about the marketing campaign.

Its funny, and sad, because unlike the other papers, the Star has what is a called the "Atkinson Principles" which include "a strong, united and independent Canada." If you read their sports pages, however, they are only interested in the US professional sports, really. Since Randy Starkman left, they don't do amateur sports, and they CLEARLY are not interested in the Argos or CFL. Do you think the Star will run a special section for the Argos home opener, as they did for TFC? I would love to be proven wrong.

AngeloV
05-17-2016, 12:03 PM
Compare it to Penton's piece in the Sun, which actually provides readers some information about the marketing campaign.

Before we give the Toronto Sun to many kudos, I think it should be noted that Penton writes for the Winnipeg sun. The Toronto sun writers must have been too busy with Raptors and Bootista fight.

jerrym
05-17-2016, 12:07 PM
That article is so typical of the Star's' reporting the last few years-- mostly a rehash of what has been bad in the past, with very little on what is actually happening now and in the future. Remember when the Argos had 36k at a preseason game a few years ago, and they sent a reporter to interview kids on why the NFL was better?

You're right, It's the same old, same old from the Star.

Neely2005
05-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Toronto Sun article:

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/05/16/argonauts-set-to-unveil-new-branding

BATKINSON001
05-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Well if two papers are reporting it then it's probably not BS.

We should finally see the new owners put their money where their mouths are.

Also not sure where to out this but according to my ticket rep, there will be no fan day this year due to training camp in guelph. Also any new jerseys ordered online are 2-3 weeks from shipping. I asked as there has been no communication from the CFL other than that they got my money.

BATKINSON001
05-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Toronto Sun article:

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/05/16/argonauts-set-to-unveil-new-branding I posted this last night as it's own topic.

ArgoZ
05-17-2016, 12:52 PM
The Fan590 were really ripping on the CFL this morning. They had a Twitter poll, which is worse to watch, MLS or CFL. What was frustrating was the lack of factual knowledge they had while making the claims. They talked about the CFL draft and how silly it is drafting Americans that aren't good enough for the NFL and also how Toronto drafted a dead guy a few years ago. Obviously, both false statements. I know it's Dean Blundell and his American wannabe producer Ryan Fabro, but it will always be a challenge to win over fans when the media constantly pokes fun of the league. Young and new fans can be impressionable, and negative media always hurts.

BATKINSON001
05-17-2016, 01:00 PM
The Fan590 were really ripping on the CFL this morning. They had a Twitter poll, which is worse to watch, MLS or CFL. What was frustrating was the lack of factual knowledge they had while making the claims. They talked about the CFL draft and how silly it is drafting Americans that aren't good enough for the NFL and also how Toronto drafted a dead guy a few years ago. Obviously, both false statements. I know it's Dean Blundell and his American wannabe producer Ryan Fabro, but it will always be a challenge to win over fans when the media constantly pokes fun if the league. Young and new fans can be impressionable, and negative media always hurts..F--- fan590. We don't need them.

R.J
05-17-2016, 01:06 PM
We saw proof earlier that the team was filming and Johany Jutras has been used quite a bit lately by the Argonauts and CFL taking pictures, so I wonder what the scale of the ad campaign will be. I'm excited to see it all - Copeland and Moore have both stated multiple times that previous regimes didn't market the team much and they were going to change that.

As for the tailgating - I'm not all that surprised we won't be able to BYOB, but bringing your own barbecues, food and non alcoholic drinks is a start. What rarely gets mentioned in terms of the pre game festivities is how aside from tailgating there will be activities and events for all ages. Mr. Copeland had a tweet awhile ago essentially a retweet and agreement that we could see something similar/recreate in our own way what Ottawa's pre game festivities are like. So I'm expecting to see something similar to Ottawa and Hamilton, both IMO provide a great overall game day experience.

Mightygoose
05-17-2016, 01:06 PM
The Fan590 were really ripping on the CFL this morning. They had a Twitter poll, which is worse to watch, MLS or CFL. What was frustrating was the lack of factual knowledge they had while making the claims. They talked about the CFL draft and how silly it is drafting Americans that aren't good enough for the NFL and also how Toronto drafted a dead guy a few years ago. Obviously, both false statements. I know it's Dean Blundell and his American wannabe producer Ryan Fabro, but it will always be a challenge to win over fans when the media constantly pokes fun if the league. Young and new fans can be impressionable, and negative media always hurts.

Sadly as long as Rogers have no stake in the CFL or Bell having exclusivity, this will always be the case. It's a by product of a media war than anything else.

Though, Blundell and the CFL News (Independent account) are having a good pissing match on twitter today....Blundell is getting schooled well and his narrow-mindedness exposed!

ArgoZ
05-17-2016, 01:09 PM
^
I saw that, good on CFL news, along with Mulder and DoubleBlue. Now if only Ricky Foley would join in!

Downtownfan
05-17-2016, 01:21 PM
re: Blundell and the branch planters at Rogers: It always strikes me as so funny that 2nd rate "media personalities", who could never make it in a major market outside of Canada, attack the CFL. I suppose self-awareness is not a strong suit, especially from a guy who works in a protected industry in Canada, in what is unquestionably a second tier market in North America. Also, notice that the Fan590 attacks the CFL/Argos on the day after they announce a major marketing campaign? This is not a coincidence, my friends, especially when the Jays are slowly falling downwards...

In any event, at some point Dean Blundell will be dead and the Argos and the CFL will still be here. That always makes me smile.

Mightygoose
05-17-2016, 01:31 PM
It's really sad when someone, or an organization has to go out of their way to tear up another brand as opposed to just ignoring it or better yet just continue to promote their existing properties (Jays, NHL and Raptors to some extent).

Rogers has the CHL rights, yet I don't see anyone at TSN tearing that organization apart. They give minimal coverage at best and move on.

It would be funny when the TSN rights are up, the CFL sells a part to Bell and a part to Rogers... and if Blundell is still at the 590, he's going to have to turn face or find a new career!

R.J
05-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Not solely Argonauts related, but TSN also ran a piece about getting the younger generations.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-targeting-younger-fans-with-new-look-innovations-1.491241

R.J
05-17-2016, 02:27 PM
http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/17/argos-re-branding-2016/

Neely2005
05-17-2016, 02:30 PM
The Fan590 were really ripping on the CFL this morning. They had a Twitter poll, which is worse to watch, MLS or CFL. What was frustrating was the lack of factual knowledge they had while making the claims. They talked about the CFL draft and how silly it is drafting Americans that aren't good enough for the NFL and also how Toronto drafted a dead guy a few years ago. Obviously, both false statements. I know it's Dean Blundell and his American wannabe producer Ryan Fabro, but it will always be a challenge to win over fans when the media constantly pokes fun of the league. Young and new fans can be impressionable, and negative media always hurts.

There's an article on it now too:

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/17/16252/

argotom
05-17-2016, 08:14 PM
This Blundell guy is a puke just like the vast majority on Fan 590.
I have stopped listening a long time ago, I would recommend the same for others here.

Will
05-17-2016, 08:30 PM
I have stopped listening a long time ago, I would recommend the same for others here.

...and what if I choose not to?

AngeloV
05-17-2016, 08:31 PM

I like to refer to him as John Derringer 2.0. For some reason they like to have pop culture guys on their sports stations, despite the fact that they know nothing about sports.

Maybe, like Derringer years ago, he will have to disappear for a few years...but that's another story.

argotom
05-17-2016, 08:40 PM
...and what if I choose not to?

Of course, to each his/her own you make the call if you want to listen to such one sided all American sports and the only minimal CFL/Argos talk is negative.

Will
05-17-2016, 09:49 PM
The fact remains that even if the Argos hypothetically sellout BMO Field, the critics won't go away. They will simply find another rationale to put in their heads as to why the CFL/Argos are inferior.

jerrym
05-18-2016, 12:34 AM

What else do you expect from a Rogers media outlet but to dump on the Argos when they announce a major program to build their fan base. As for criticizing the CFL for having foreign players who aren't good enough to play in the top league, that's a like calling the pot calling the kettle black when the comparison is with the MLS.

ArgoRavi
05-18-2016, 01:05 AM

Blundell is a Howard Stern wannabe who doesn't have one-tenth the talent of Stern.

argolio
05-18-2016, 01:13 AM
Before we give the Toronto Sun to many kudos, I think it should be noted that Penton writes for the Winnipeg sun. The Toronto sun writers must have been too busy with Raptors and Bootista fight.Bootista? I thought his name was Hometown Discount.

...and what if I choose not to?No soup for you!

Ron
05-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Good article. Nice to see some truth thrown out there. The team responses are also encouraging.

Ron
05-18-2016, 01:33 AM

For someone who stopped listening a long time ago ... you're quite informed. For example I stopped listening a long time ago and have no idea who Blundell is.

marcwagz
05-18-2016, 02:40 AM
Fan 590 is awful.
No clue why anyone would ever listen to it while tsn 1050 is available.
The difference is like night abd day.

Fan 590 will take a 3 hour baseball game and talk about it for 2 out of a 3 hour show, and the broadcaster who comes on after raptors games is a know it all terd who constantly makes fun of the people who call in to his show.

Will
05-18-2016, 07:22 AM
Blundell is a Howard Stern wannabe who doesn't have one-tenth the talent of Stern.

This is true, but nevertheless the goal of such a host is to rile up the audience. Blundell was very successful at that yesterday.

AngeloV
05-18-2016, 09:33 AM
This is true, but nevertheless the goal of such a host is to rile up the audience. Blundell was very successful at that yesterday.

Problem is, he's not a shock jock anymore. He works at a sports station.

Will
05-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Problem is, he's not a shock jock anymore. He works at a sports station.

Your correct, but hasn't the FAN tried to mix in that edgier element ever since Millman left?

Argoknot
05-18-2016, 10:54 AM
The Fan590 were really ripping on the CFL this morning. They had a Twitter poll, which is worse to watch, MLS or CFL. What was frustrating was the lack of factual knowledge they had while making the claims and also how Toronto drafted a dead guy a few years ago. it will always be a challenge to win over fans when the media constantly pokes fun of the league. Young and new fans can be impressionable, and negative media always hurts.That's why things like that can't be ignored and fans have to fight back. People who aren't informed often accept these sources as fact. And that old joke about Ottawa drafting a player who was tragically killed in a car accident (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrell_Robertson) is in extreme poor taste. Why not ask his family how funny they think it is.

AngeloV
05-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Your correct, but hasn't the FAN tried to mix in that edgier element ever since Millman left?

Good question. I only listen if I'm in the car and they are carrying a Leafs game. Other than that, I never tune in anymore.

Argoknot
05-18-2016, 10:57 AM
As for the tailgating, Mr. Copeland had a tweet awhile ago essentially a retweet and agreement that we could see something similar/recreate in our own way what Ottawa's pre game festivities are like. So I'm expecting to see something similar to Ottawa and Hamilton, both IMO provide a great overall game day experience.On another occasion, he spoke about having three distinct tail gait experiences. One for kids and family, one rowdy one, and one for the corporate set.

Argoknot
05-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Though, Blundell and the CFL News (Independent account) are having a good pissing match on twitter today....Blundell is getting schooled well and his narrow-mindedness exposed!If you want to stop this kind of thing dead in its tracks you have to hit them where it hurts. Whoever this guy is and I haven't heard of him so he can't be too big, he is expendable in that business. The turnover for those guys is crazy, even Bob McCown has been on dicy ground at times.

The easy way to stop it is to not respond to him, but to start threatening a Rogers boycott. You don't have to do much just have everyone who responds threaten to take action. Trust me, you won't hear from Mr Blundell again. In the age of cord cutting, any eyeball and eardrums he gets over controversy is gravy, but involve a negative impression of Rogers and it's ta ta Deano and goodbye "unconscionable" Rogers behaviour

Mulder
05-18-2016, 11:28 AM
^
I saw that, good on CFL news, along with Mulder and DoubleBlue. Now if only Ricky Foley would join in!

I do what I can to protect the Argos, and the league from those who wish to talk ill of it, fabricate stories, or pass their own opinion as fact. I think it really boils down to the lack of knowledge or pure ignorance of those 'haters'. When you prove them wrong they either resort to insults, shut up or block/ban you.

Argoknot
05-18-2016, 11:31 AM
When you prove them wrong they either resort to insults, shut up or block/ban you.That's not a nice thing to do.

Neely2005
05-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Fan 590 is awful.
No clue why anyone would ever listen to it while tsn 1050 is available.
The difference is like night abd day.

Fan 590 will take a 3 hour baseball game and talk about it for 2 out of a 3 hour show, and the broadcaster who comes on after raptors games is a know it all terd who constantly makes fun of the people who call in to his show.

Aside from Mike Hogan does TSN 1050 even know that the Argonauts exist? I have to listen to TSN 1150 for any CFL coverage.

argofan81
05-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Well if two papers are reporting it then it's probably not BS.

We should finally see the new owners put their money where their mouths are.

Also not sure where to out this but according to my ticket rep, there will be no fan day this year due to training camp in guelph. Also any new jerseys ordered online are 2-3 weeks from shipping. I asked as there has been no communication from the CFL other than that they got my money.

If fans can make the trek out to Oshawa for fan day surely they can make the trek out to Guelph. Using the location of Guelph as an excuse seems like a cop-out to me.....so much for making the team more accessible to its fans (seeing as how Fan day is one of the only opportunities for the public to seek out autographs and meet the players).

BATKINSON001
05-18-2016, 12:04 PM
If fans can make the trek out to Oshawa for fan day surely they can make the trek out to Guelph. Using the location of Guelph as an excuse seems like a cop-out to me.....so much for making the team more accessible to its fans (seeing as how Fan day is one of the only opportunities for the public to seek out autographs and meet the players).

Yeah since they stopped doing See you on the field, haven't heard one announced since 2012.

Also, my jersey arrived today. Thinking Rob may have been mistaken.

AngeloV
05-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Aside from Mike Hogan does TSN 1050 even know that the Argonauts exist? I have to listen to TSN 1150 for any CFL coverage.

Mike Richards does, but has admitted though he would like to talk more CFL, he gets a lot of backlash when he does. At least he had Orridge live in studio last week.

BATKINSON001
05-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Mike Richards does, but has admitted though he would like to talk more CFL, he gets a lot of backlash when he does. At least he had Orridge live in studio last week. who are the idiots who complain? Ratings Nazis. Or cfl haters?

Will
05-18-2016, 02:32 PM
It would be very disappointing if it is indeed true that there is no Fan Day. I was hoping to have an Argofans table like Mark had in the past.

ArgoGabe22
05-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Fan Day may require some sort of approval from the University. I'm sure Oshawa would accommodate again but the players wouldn't be happy bussing there I would think.

ArgoZ
05-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Fan Day may require some sort of approval from the University. I'm sure Oshawa would accommodate again but the players wouldn't be happy bussing there I would think.

It would be very disappointing and a huge step back if there was no fan day. I really have a hard time believing this to be true. There is no problem in Guelph, they simply rent the stadium, which is fenced, and have it there on a weekend. Training camp was not in Oshawa and they had fan day there, so any alternative site will work. How about our own great training facility? Seems like a no brainier. This would be the first true mistake for the new regime, that I would really be critical of. It contradicts everything that has been in the news lately regarding promoting the team.

BATKINSON001
05-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Could the Oshawa group step up again and host fan day?

ArgoZ
05-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Could the Oshawa group step up again and host fan day?

I'm sure they would. It was a huge success, partly due to the Hawkeyes. But I must ask, why though, when we have our own perfectly good field and training facility, where all the players lockers are located, with lots of parking, right here in Toronto? Am I missing something here?

Neely2005
05-18-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm sure they would. It was a huge success, partly due to the Hawkeyes. But I must ask, why though, when we have our own perfectly good field and training facility, where all the players lockers are located, with lots of parking, right here in Toronto? Am I missing something here?

Apparently we have to give the new ownership a free pass for the first year.

BATKINSON001
05-18-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm sure they would. It was a huge success, partly due to the Hawkeyes. But I must ask, why though, when we have our own perfectly good field and training facility, where all the players lockers are located, with lots of parking, right here in Toronto? Am I missing something here?. I don't know why they don't do it at downsview... are the general public not allowed in there?

Neely2005
05-18-2016, 09:23 PM
Mike Richards does, but has admitted though he would like to talk more CFL, he gets a lot of backlash when he does. At least he had Orridge live in studio last week.

True, unfortunately I rarely hear his show now in the new time slot.

Neely2005
05-18-2016, 09:24 PM
. I don't know why they don't do it at downsview... are the general public not allowed in there?

I haven't been to the Argonauts practice facility specifically but I've been in Downsview for a hockey tournament and there didn't seem to be any restrictions.

ArgoZ
05-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Apparently we have to give the new ownership a free pass for the first year.

Funny. I'm willing to let some things go and wait and see, but Fan Day really hits a nerve. Mostly because a lot of my family are Ti-Cat fans and while they will be having fun, it sure makes it hard to turn any of them to the "better side", you know the one with no fan interaction or events. Sigh. We haven't heard anything official yet and maybe we're overreacting. The same rep could be the one that told a member that they already sold 15000 ST in February :D

PullTogether73
05-18-2016, 11:49 PM
Tailgating means nothing to me.
Fan Day, with access to players and coaches in a fan-focused environment, means a lot more.
Dropping Fan Day would be a big mistake imo.

R.J
05-19-2016, 12:20 AM
Has it even been confirmed that there will be no fan day ?

BATKINSON001
05-19-2016, 12:40 AM
Has it even been confirmed that there will be no fan day ?. All I have is what I was told when I asked.

May 17, 2016, 11:29 AM

Brandon,

Thank you for your email. The jerseys will take 2-3 weeks and your season will be early June. I will tell Foley his jersey got snapped up.

We do not have Fan Day on our calendar this season with camp taking part in Guelph.

I was at BMO Field yesterday for a meeting and I cannot wait to get in there.

http://cfl.wp.uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/02/Argos-Email.jpg

Rob Richardson
Manager, Ticket Sales & Client Services
Toronto Argonauts Football Club
10 Lower Spadina Ave, Suite 500
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2Z2

Email: RRichardson@argonauts.ca Phone: 416-341-2755 Fax: 416-341-2714
-

ArgoGabe22
05-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Doesn't mean they're not working on something. I hope.

AngeloV
05-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Tailgating means nothing to me.
Fan Day, with access to players and coaches in a fan-focused environment, means a lot more.
Dropping Fan Day would be a big mistake imo.

Agreed on the tailgating. Fan Day is really good for the kids, and the fact that they have recently turned it into the mock game as well, has made it better for the rest of us as well. I really hope they have one.

sthfan1988
05-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Every day is fan day at training camp. Anyone who has gone on a regular day would probably attest to that. I try to go every year and get right at the side lines. You really get an appreciation on how fast and athletic these guys are. I took my son and his friend a few years ago and the players were awesome, coming over to say high, shake hands and such. I highly recommend going for a day.

argotom
05-19-2016, 01:52 PM
. I don't know why they don't do it at downsview... are the general public not allowed in there?

I liked the Oshawa practice.
In fact, too bad the team can't move around to promote such events all over the GTA.
I know it must be a pain for this type of a traveling show but when you are near the bottom in the pecking order all bets are off.

paulwoods13
05-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Michael Copeland has addressed the fan day issue (and the town hall issue raised earlier) in an email to the Argo mailing list:

Unfortunately, in order to accomplish everything we are planning, we have had to make some sacrifices. With all of our focus on moving to BMO Field and re-inventing the Argos game day experience, we haven’t been able to host some of the off-season events that you have come to expect like a town hall and our annual Double Blue Game and Fan Day. Throughout the season, I look forward to meeting you and talking about what events you would like to see. This will help us plan for next off-season after we successfully get you and our team into BMO Field this year.

R.J
05-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Michael Copeland has addressed the fan day issue (and the town hall issue raised earlier) in an email to the Argo mailing list:

Unfortunately, in order to accomplish everything we are planning, we have had to make some sacrifices. With all of our focus on moving to BMO Field and re-inventing the Argos game day experience, we haven’t been able to host some of the off-season events that you have come to expect like a town hall and our annual Double Blue Game and Fan Day. Throughout the season, I look forward to meeting you and talking about what events you would like to see. This will help us plan for next off-season after we successfully get you and our team into BMO Field this year.
Well at least it's confirmed now and I hope this is just a one off. Personally I was looking forward to a town hall, but C'est la Vie. I hope Copeland is serious about not only hearing what we want, but ensuring we see some changes for 2017.

ArgoGabe22
05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
How much planning goes into a Fan Day? Not criticizing, I'm just saying all the team really has to do is schedule a mock game on a weekend, promote via social media and the fans will come. Other than that, nothing else isn't really needed except time for fans to interact with players and one another.

Any Argo fan could even organize their own "day" via social media where the goal is to get as many fans out on the same day to show support.

Scooter McCray
05-19-2016, 03:07 PM
With the season upon us I hope they focus on filling the stadium and the Grey Cup experience. If they do all if that they will have a happy STH base. They can consult us next winter. Eagerly awaiting game day details. They need to knock that out of the park to attract new fans. The other teams don't have the ability to tailgate due to the location constraints and number of games played.

ArgoZ
05-19-2016, 03:14 PM
^

I am not buying any excuses mentioned for a missing Fan Day. Especially when your trying to grow the brand and market the team. They have owned the team since January and camp has not even started yet. No time to plan he says? What is so complicated? Have it at Downsview or Guelph, during a practice day. All you need is for everyone (cheerleaders, the Mascot, retailers with new Argo swag) to show up. Players will be there. I can understand an absent Town Hall or draft party, I have gave the team lots of slack on this topic, but those are some of the lamest excuses from this regime yet. I wonder if I let Mr. President know that I will be attending the Cats fan event (I live in Niagara) and will probably buy a shirt to fit in, if that might help them reconsider. Hopefully I don't have too much fun and start becoming interested in following the Hamilton franchise, for the Argos sake of course. What do I know anyway about this teams challenges, being a fan for over 25 years? We supposedly already got 20000 ST sold, so what's one less fan?

No, I am not Rocket. HA!

Scooter McCray
05-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Maybe they don't want to have their traditional fan day where a couple of hundred people turnout. That would give haters like we saw this week a chance to pile on some more. It appears these haters stand ready to criticize at every turn. The haters, like us, know the next couple of years are pivotal on whether the Argos survive or not. The organization has to do everything big time or not bother at all to throw it back in the faces of those that wish them dead. As much as I hate what Blundell did it will look more and more like desperation when the Argos start to gain traction.

ArgoGabe22
05-19-2016, 03:41 PM
Maybe they don't want to have their traditional fan day where a couple of hundred people turnout. That would give haters like we saw this week a chance to pile on some more. It appears these haters stand ready to criticize at every turn. The haters, like us, know the next couple of years are pivotal on whether the Argos survive or not. The organization has to do everything big time or not bother at all to throw it back in the faces of those that wish them dead. As much as I hate what Blundell did it will look more and more like desperation when the Argos start to gain traction.

Id be very surprised if they were even aware of such events taking place unless they are really in the closet fans.

argofan81
05-19-2016, 04:01 PM
So what exactly are we getting this year? Tailgating.....with cheerleaders!! I think that most of the true Argo fans would concede that they would rather interact with the players for a few hours than to mingle with our cheerleaders at a tailgate. As much as I hate to admit it, at this point, the old owners gave more in terms of season ticket holder appreciation compared to what I have seen so far from the new owners...from price increases, no ticket exchanges, a reduced payment plan from 3 payments to 2 payments, no "thank you" gift, no discount on merchandise and now no fan day or season ticket holder events with the team. I would have thought that if for no other reason than to hold on to all the new season tickets that they have sold this year come next year that they would have ensured that season ticket holders are happy.

paulwoods13
05-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Has anyone complaining about how easy it would be to organize a fan day actually undertaken such an exercise themselves? I've been part of "events" that are much smaller and less logistically challenging than a fan day, like family day in a men's touch football league, and even those have a lot of issues to deal with and jobs to do. Is there insurance in case fans get injured somehow? Are there refreshments? Is there a merch table? Are there speeches, or play-by-play? How many staff are needed, and what are they all assigned to do? Honestly, I'd far rather the org devote its efforts to marketing the team to the community at large, and making great game-day experiences, than spend a lot of effort on something that will make a couple of hundred (at most IMO, given it's way out of town) diehards happy.

paulwoods13
05-19-2016, 04:15 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, at this point, the old owners gave more in terms of season ticket holder appreciation compared to what I have seen so far from the new owners...from price increases, no ticket exchanges, a reduced payment plan from 3 payments to 2 payments, no "thank you" gift, no discount on merchandise and now no fan day or season ticket holder events with the team.

Ticket prices are incredibly reasonable and I would be willing to bet are lowest in the league. "Thank you" gifts are never given before tickets are distributed, so we don't know if that is happening or not. Same with merch discounts.

If I were Larry Tanenbaum or Michael Copeland reading this forum, I'd think I just signed on to provide services to a group of people with an acute sense of entitlement.

Rich
05-19-2016, 04:20 PM
^

I wonder if I let Mr. President know that I will be attending the Cats fan event (I live in Niagara) and will probably buy a shirt to fit in, if that might help them reconsider. Hopefully I don't have too much fun and start becoming interested in following the Hamilton franchise, for the Argos sake of course. What do I know anyway about this teams challenges, being a fan for over 25 years? We supposedly already got 20000 ST sold, so what's one less fan?

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. The rest of us will be enjoying the biggest revival of Argonauts football in history.

BATKINSON001
05-19-2016, 04:29 PM
I am more concerned with the longevity of the team, I have faith in the owners and hope they will come through l. As a sth all I ask for is better communication between us and them and decent marketing of the team in the off season.

argofan81
05-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Ticket prices are incredibly reasonable and I would be willing to bet are lowest in the league. "Thank you" gifts are never given before tickets are distributed, so we don't know if that is happening or not. Same with merch discounts.

If I were Larry Tanenbaum or Michael Copeland reading this forum, I'd think I just signed on to provide services to a group of people with an acute sense of entitlement.

Last year the "thank you" gift and merchandise discounts were announced as part of what you get by buying season tickets (i.e. as a benefit), no mention this year of these benefits so I would not be surprised if they are non-existent. I'm not complaining about the pricing (as I would much rather pay an increase to not have to endure another year at the dome) but it is worth mentioning that there has been an increase for comparable seat locations.

AngeloV
05-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Although I do enjoy going to fan day, it's not like these fan days have resulted in growing the fan base the last few years. I can understand the team not putting a priority on it. In fact, I would hope that they are looking bigger overall picture.

I plan on taking in at least a couple of days at Guelph. That works fine for me.

argofan81
05-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Although I do enjoy going to fan day, it's not like these fan days have resulted in growing the fan base the last few years. I can understand the team not putting a priority on it. In fact, I would hope that they are looking bigger overall picture.

I plan on taking in at least a couple of days at Guelph. That works fine for me.

We are all going to have our own opinions about the lack of a fan day. Personally it is something that I look forward to every season and have attended for about the last 10 years (in the years where one has been held), maybe more, so to not have it is disappointing. I am hopeful that there will be training camp sessions held on weekends so that perhaps I can take in a couple of those, otherwise I'll be out of luck since I work during the week (as do most).

timlb01
05-19-2016, 06:52 PM
So what exactly are we getting this year? Tailgating.....with cheerleaders!! I think that most of the true Argo fans would concede that they would rather interact with the players for a few hours than to mingle with our cheerleaders at a tailgate. As much as I hate to admit it, at this point, the old owners gave more in terms of season ticket holder appreciation compared to what I have seen so far from the new owners...from price increases, no ticket exchanges, a reduced payment plan from 3 payments to 2 payments, no "thank you" gift, no discount on merchandise and now no fan day or season ticket holder events with the team. I would have thought that if for no other reason than to hold on to all the new season tickets that they have sold this year come next year that they would have ensured that season ticket holders are happy.

I personally don't care about the tailgating and other side shows, but all the their actions are to attract new fans and fill the stadium for years to come. All I care about is the on field product and I believe the new management team will fill the stadium every game this year. Let's see how they do for the years to come. It will be interesting in 3 years where this team is at.

ArgoZ
05-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. The rest of us will be enjoying the biggest revival of Argonauts football in history.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Make it sound like I am missing out on something. As a long time fan, obviously I have been through a lot worse than a missed Fan Day and I am not going anywhere. My factitious like post was to illustrate how frustrating it is to see many members of my family and friends having fun becoming Ti-Cat fans and here's me sitting with Angelo watching practice (which I'm looking forward too). If any of you go to a Black and Gold day, you will be amazed, jealous, happy and then finally depressed. I want what's best for this team. This thread is about football culture and missed generations, I would think I'm on point here!

I don't see Fan Day as entitlement. It is what we do! Have a great time getting together, meeting the players and getting jacked up for the new season! Last year was so great, it's so hard to fathom that better owners can somehow do a worse job. I would rather hear that they are just gonna half ass it and will only get a few hundred fans than "we're to busy working on the tailgate". Maybe that is what they are saying, in not so many words. Let me say though, this must be some awesome tailgate if it requires missed events and this kind of planning. I'll give them another chance, make me eat my words.

Buffalo Bills eat your heart out. We have to be expecting laid minature sod fields for touch football (beer in hand of course). Winner gets to play the cheerleaders (Angelo, can we make a team? Your QB). Bon Jovi reconciliation/apology free concerts (Ping in the front row). Ex rides showing up and running weeks before the Ex even opens, just for us Argos families. With our MLS connections, Auston Mathews should be there signing autographs. It's gonna be a blast and worth missing stupid Fan Day.

Neely2005
05-19-2016, 07:34 PM

Don't worry, Michael Copeland is making Season Ticket holders his focus:

You make it seem like planning some events and reaching out to Season Ticket holders is some massive undertaking. He's had since July to plan and has had since January to implement.

So far other than 1 Email to Season Ticket holders they've done 0 while other CFL teams have been busy engaging their fanbases.

Here are Some of the things that he's said (in print) he has said more in radio interviews which you can search out yourself. In my opinion he hasn't delivered:

"What’s your vision for next season?

We can’t just rely on the stadium itself. This is about changing what it means to be an Argonauts fan. This isn’t going to be a great experience. This is going to be a spectacular experience."

"But the Argonauts have a regular season to worry about first. Copeland says that they will be focused on season ticket holders, a group that he called “amazingly resilient.” He’s aware of the damage that has been done to the team’s brand, which has been so severe that the 2015 season caused even the most loyal Argo fans to throw up their hands in frustration."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/11/20/qa-with-michael-copeland-argonauts-will-create-magic.html

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/new-boss-copeland-embraces-challenge-of-argos-rebuild-1.397166

R.J
05-19-2016, 09:40 PM
Copeland = Rudge 2.0

:D

argofan81
05-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Don't worry, Michael Copeland is making Season Ticket holders his focus:

And there is also an old saying "actions speak louder than words ". So far all I'm hearing is a bunch of words and no action. I do hope that I am eating my words later this season otherwise I fear that some may reconsider being a season ticket holder next year and we will have lost all of the positive momentum that we gained this year.

paulwoods13
05-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Man, this complaining is getting tiresome.

Neely2005
05-19-2016, 10:42 PM

Man, this complaining about complaining is getting tiresome.
;-)

Golden Fleece
05-19-2016, 10:56 PM
I am a little stunned at the negative reaction to the Copeland email. When I first read it, it sounded sensible and on point. The new regime took over less than five months ago. They have managed a major transition, still taken care of their core business, and they have a Grey Cup to plan. It makes me wonder what kind of jobs people have had around here. I know in my experience, when dealing with major changes and upheaval, sometimes it is necessary to cut back in certain areas to deliver on the priorities. Is this not what Argos management has done so far? Give them 13 more months before pressing the panic button and making the Rudge comparisons. If they don't deliver on Fan Appreciation Days etc. in 2017, call them on it then. I'll join you. But until then give them credit for what they have accomplished so far. The last thing we need is new fans checking out this forum and concluding that the base is a bunch of self-defeating complainers. Who would want to get on that boat? Rant done.

AngeloV
05-19-2016, 11:10 PM
I am a little stunned at the negative reaction to the Copeland email. When I first read it, it sounded sensible and on point. The new regime took over less than five months ago. They have managed a major transition, still taken care of their core business, and they have a Grey Cup to plan. It makes me wonder what kind of jobs people have had around here. I know in my experience, when dealing with major changes and upheaval, sometimes it is necessary to cut back in certain areas to deliver on the priorities. Is this not what Argos management has done so far? Give them 13 more months before pressing the panic button and making the Rudge comparisons. If they don't deliver on Fan Appreciation Days etc. in 2017, call them on it then. I'll join you. But until then give them credit for what they have accomplished so far. The last thing we need is new fans checking out this forum and concluding that the base is a bunch of self-defeating complainers. Who would want to get on that boat? Rant done.

As has been said many times, some people are only happy when the are complaining. WGR radio in Buffalo has a segment on their morning show called the whiner line. This at times seems like the online version.

PullTogether73
05-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Last year the "thank you" gift and merchandise discounts were announced as part of what you get by buying season tickets (i.e. as a benefit), no mention this year of these benefits so I would not be surprised if they are non-existent. I'm not complaining about the pricing (as I would much rather pay an increase to not have to endure another year at the dome) but it is worth mentioning that there has been an increase for comparable seat locations.

So, you stated as fact something of which you have no confirmation.
I was wondering where you got the information that there would be no gift or merchandise discount for STHs.
I suggest you state that you are making assumptions rather than making statements as fact when they are not facts.

PullTogether73
05-19-2016, 11:38 PM
I am a little stunned at the negative reaction to the Copeland email. When I first read it, it sounded sensible and on point. The new regime took over less than five months ago. They have managed a major transition, still taken care of their core business, and they have a Grey Cup to plan.

I think that the last part above is important when evaluating the new management.
We are so focused on the revival of the Argos that we (seem to) forget that these people also have to organize the Grey Cup in a relatively short period.

So far, I personally have only been disappointed by the lack of Fan Day because I find it a great way to interact with the players, coaches and other dedicated Argos fans. (Okay, the lack of a significant rebranding - uniforms, was a smaller disappointment.)
I'm good with giving the team a year to work on rejuvenating the fan base and game day experience as they have targeted, and then look at the other elements of engaging fans.

BATKINSON001
05-19-2016, 11:58 PM
I was wondering where you got the information that there would be no gift or merchandise discount for STHs.
I suggest you state that you are making assumptions rather than making statements as fact when they are not facts.. What was last year's gift? 2010 had the helmet, 11 had the photo frame, 12 was the t-shirt I think, 13 the grey cup DVD doc with bad recording of grey cup 100, 14 the flag with the hashtag on it...

argofan81
05-20-2016, 12:01 AM
I suggest you state that you are making assumptions rather than making statements as fact when they are not facts.

You are correct, I am making an assumption. Sorry I did not state that. However, the facts are that most teams advertise the 'perks' of being a season ticket holder to entice potential buyers. The Argos advertise zero perks (hence my assumption). The only other teams to not advertise 'perks' of membership are saskatchewan (who has a wait list for season tickets) and Ottawa -- CFL wise. Do I need to provide my proof of this via website links? As for 'proof' all I have is the word of my ticket rep but we all know that their 'words' are only taken with a grain of salt on here. I'm not trying to be a complainer but as a paid season ticket holder (for 2 tickets!), I do have a right to voice if I don't like something....and I will try to refrain from voicing my opinions in the future since they appear to not be welcomed on here if they don't go with the flow.

KCargosfan
05-20-2016, 04:07 AM

Surely you aren't suggesting you want Braley to own the team again, are you?

PullTogether73
05-20-2016, 04:28 AM
. What was last year's gift? 2010 had the helmet, 11 had the photo frame, 12 was the t-shirt I think, 13 the grey cup DVD doc with bad recording of grey cup 100, 14 the flag with the hashtag on it...

2 Argonauts branded drink glasses per season ticket.

PullTogether73
05-20-2016, 04:32 AM
You are correct, I am making an assumption. Sorry I did not state that. However, the facts are that most teams advertise the 'perks' of being a season ticket holder to entice potential buyers. The Argos advertise zero perks (hence my assumption). The only other teams to not advertise 'perks' of membership are saskatchewan (who has a wait list for season tickets) and Ottawa -- CFL wise. Do I need to provide my proof of this via website links? As for 'proof' all I have is the word of my ticket rep but we all know that their 'words' are only taken with a grain of salt on here. I'm not trying to be a complainer but as a paid season ticket holder (for 2 tickets!), I do have a right to voice if I don't like something....and I will try to refrain from voicing my opinions in the future since they appear to not be welcomed on here if they don't go with the flow.

You absolutely have a right to complain if you don't like something.
Just base it on a fact.
My complaint about your post was that you stated that STHs are not getting two benefits which they previously had.
As a STH myself, I wanted to know where you heard that as I had not seen any notice of those "facts", so your statement affected my perception of the benefits of being a STH.

Of course, your assumption may still prove to be correct - but not yet.

Neely2005
05-20-2016, 07:41 AM
. What was last year's gift? 2010 had the helmet, 11 had the photo frame, 12 was the t-shirt I think, 13 the grey cup DVD doc with bad recording of grey cup 100, 14 the flag with the hashtag on it...

Last year was the Argonauts glasses.

You forgot about the 100 Grey Cups hardcover book. That was the best gift so far IMO.

Does anyone know if they're doing prizes for the Season Ticket holders this year? In the past they gave away autographed merchandise and seat upgrades. etc.

BATKINSON001
05-20-2016, 07:50 AM
Last year was the Argonauts glasses.

You forgot about the 100 Grey Cups hardcover book. That was the best gift so far IMO.

Does anyone know if they're doing prizes for the Season Ticket holders this year? In the past they gave away autographed merchandise and seat upgrades. etc. I had forgotten it as it was not shipped with my tickets but earlier as a early bird gift. I think it was for the 2013 season. I still haven't read mine lol.

argofan81
05-20-2016, 08:19 AM
You absolutely have a right to complain if you don't like something.
Just base it on a fact.
My complaint about your post was that you stated that STHs are not getting two benefits which they previously had.
As a STH myself, I wanted to know where you heard that as I had not seen any notice of those "facts", so your statement affected my perception of the benefits of being a STH.

Of course, your assumption may still prove to be correct - but not yet.

I also stated "As much as I hate to admit it, at this point, the old owners gave more in terms of season ticket holder appreciation compared to what I have seen so far from the new owners"

My assumptions are true (based on nothing in print to the contrary and also based on a convo with my ticket rep) at this point in time and so far. So yes, I may be proven wrong in the future, but as of today, I was merely stating that season ticket holders had more benefits under the old ownership. My post wasn't intended as a rant about the lack of benefits so much as they want to make STH happy and yet they are making the team less accessible (in my opinion) by eliminating fan day.

ArgoZ
05-20-2016, 08:35 AM

These issues are legitimate concerns and subsequent disappointments by the most dedicated fans of the team, made up of ST holders and "die hards". A group the teams own President claims to recognize. We are so few, I personally know many of you by name! To pass issues off as simple complaining is unfair. There is no better place than the #1 Argo forum to discuss these matters.

You can't tell me that almost every one of our members are not disappointed due to no Fan Day. I see most of you there. The excuse there is no time due to planing a tailgate doesn't cut it for me. I ask again, what possible things are we going to see on a Thursday night before kickoff that warrants the cancelation of all these events? Events that every other CFL team do and you could argue are even more important to this fragile fanbase. Collectively, sure a few missed events are not going to have an immediate impact, but slowly they are going to alienate us one by one, unless things change and this forum serves as a chance to be heard.

Mightygoose
05-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Though I'm disappointed about the lack of off-season events, I'd rather have ownership put their resources towards a good season on and more importantly off the field. I don't see how yesterday's email is alienating the fan base. There's lots of planning to do behind the scenes.

They haven't been owning this team for 5 months so far. Too early to assess. Aside from an expansion or relocation, how many teams in North American pro sports go through a change in ownership AND venue in the same off season?

paulwoods13
05-20-2016, 10:58 AM
These issues are legitimate concerns and subsequent disappointments by the most dedicated fans of the team, made up of ST holders and "die hards". A group the teams own President claims to recognize. We are so few, I personally know many of you by name! To pass issues off as simple complaining is unfair. There is no better place than the #1 Argo forum to discuss these matters.

You can't tell me that almost every one of our members are not disappointed due to no Fan Day. I see most of you there. The excuse there is no time due to planing a tailgate doesn't cut it for me. I ask again, what possible things are we going to see on a Thursday night before kickoff that warrants the cancelation of all these events? Events that every other CFL team do and you could argue are even more important to this fragile fanbase. Collectively, sure a few missed events are not going to have an immediate impact, but slowly they are going to alienate us one by one, unless things change and this forum serves as a chance to be heard.

OK, it's not simple complaining. It's whining.

The notion that what the team is doing this off-season is going to slowly alienate fans one by one is beyond laughable. We have endured years where the team was being driven into the ground, could barely afford players on the practice roster, had to dress only two QBs for financial reasons, had nowhere to play and nowhere to practise, etc etc, and now we're going to abandon ship because they won't cater to a couple of hundred people by throwing a "day" in their honour or give them a token gift? Really?

ArgoZ
05-20-2016, 12:38 PM

The notion that what the team is doing this off-season is going to slowly alienate fans one by one is beyond laughable. We have endured years where the team was being driven into the ground, could barely afford players on the practice roster, had to dress only two QBs for financial reasons, had nowhere to play and nowhere to practise, etc etc, and now we're going to abandon ship because they won't cater to a couple of hundred people by throwing a "day" in their honour or give them a token gift? Really?

I agree, not any one decision or off season will make a significant impact. I never mentioned or cared about a gift. That's not the point here. They are giving us lame excuses why were are not getting team related events that we are used to. All those instances you mentioned are part of the collective reason we have such few fans. At this time, this current ownership is making some mistakes too, maybe not as big, but enough to disappoint the small number of great fans we have.

If Copeland read this thread, would you prefer him to see that the fans are upset or indifferent that there is no Fan Day? If anything, it could increase the notion that we might as well not have one next year either, if no one really cares and there is only couple hundred of us.

This thread is titled "Argos trying to bring back football culture and missed generations" How are they going to do that by holding zero events for this team? I am at a loss how anyone could counter argue this.

argofan81
05-20-2016, 01:27 PM

I'm not that upset about no thank you gift, it was merely one item that I listed in a bunch of others (again, up to this point in time -- yes, they may still come) of things that we as STH had last year that we don't have this year. Even in those times where the team was being driven into the ground, we still had the opportunity to meet, greet and interact with coaches, players and staff through Fan Day. That is what I am upset about -- taking away the one event that provides that opportunity. Fan Day is something that has been done in the past and there is a model that could have been used to create one for this season, it's not as if a brand new event had to be created. To be clear, I'm not complaining that they haven't implemented new things like a draft party or a town hall -- those are things that I expect to evolve in the future and not come to us instantaneously.

AngeloV
05-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Let's brighten up the mood.

Bring on the games!!!!
22 days until the pre-season game at BMO (AKA Pinball Clemons stadium).

ArgoZ
05-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Let's brighten up the mood.

Bring on the games!!!!
22 days until the pre-season game at BMO (AKA Pinball Clemons stadium).

We're all friends sharing opinions over a beer. No biggie, but ya can't wait for the new season and the new amazing tailgate,,, ah crap I gone and done it.

In the absence of Fan Day, will the team still put in some version of a game or very organized scrimmage? Any tips to attending camp Angelo? I would like to take in some days, preferably after first cuts, but have to know the best time to go. There is only so much I can watch lineman run from sideline to sideline before my ADD kicks in.

Neely2005
05-20-2016, 03:49 PM
I agree, not any one decision or off season will make a significant impact. I never mentioned or cared about a gift. That's not the point here. They are giving us lame excuses why were are not getting team related events that we are used to. All those instances you mentioned are part of the collective reason we have such few fans. At this time, this current ownership is making some mistakes too, maybe not as big, but enough to disappoint the small number of great fans we have.

If Copeland read this thread, would you prefer him to see that the fans are upset or indifferent that there is no Fan Day? If anything, it could increase the notion that we might as well not have one next year either, if no one really cares and there is only couple hundred of us.

This thread is titled "Argos trying to bring back football culture and missed generations" How are they going to do that by holding zero events for this team? I am at a loss how anyone could counter argue this.

I agree with you.

I would like to point out that the annual Argonauts Corn Roast is on August 13th. It's not put on by the team but I find it to be a mini Fan Day and in a lot of ways I actually prefer it to Fan Day.

Mightygoose
05-20-2016, 04:05 PM
I agree with you.

I would like to point out that the annual Argonauts Corn Roast is on August 13th. It's not put on by the team but I find it to be a mini Fan Day and in a lot of ways I actually prefer it to Fan Day.

Where is this posted? I went to the Friends of the Argonauts website but it says it's suspended? I guess it's on their facebook site? (can't access FB from work)

AngeloV
05-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Where is this posted? I went to the Friends of the Argonauts website but it says it's suspended? I guess it's on their facebook site? (can't access FB from work)

Check out Friends of the Argonauts. They run the corn roast.

AngeloV
05-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Any tips to attending camp Angelo?

Actually, I prefer to go to early camp. More actual scrimmage. Having said that, I have never been to camp in Guelph. Looking at going on the 29th (Day 1 of full camp).

Neely2005
05-20-2016, 08:15 PM

https://m.facebook.com/events/1716244215323656?acontext={"ref"%3A2%2C"ref_dashboard_filter"%3A"upcoming"%2C"action_history"%3A"[{\"surface\"%3A\"dashboard\"%2C\"mechanism\"%3A\"surface\"%2C\"extra_data\"%3A{\"dashboard_filter\"%3A\"upcoming\"}}]"}&aref=2&arefdashboardfilter=upcoming&ref=bookmarks

Will
05-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Actually, I prefer to go to early camp. More actual scrimmage. Having said that, I have never been to camp in Guelph. Looking at going on the 29th (Day 1 of full camp).

Earlier in the day or earlier in the month of camp itself?

AngeloV
05-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Earlier in the day or earlier in the month of camp itself?

Earlier in the month of camp itself.

R.J
06-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Can BMO Field save the Toronto Argonauts?
http://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-argonauts-move-bmo-field

Golden Fleece
06-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Can BMO Field save the Toronto Argonauts?
http://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-argonauts-move-bmo-field The most priceless line was "Granted, the Argos don’t have two World Series rings to draw off of".

Was he too lazy to look up how many Grey Cups the Argos have won in the last X number of years or is he faulting the Argos for not winning a World Series yet?:ohno:

1argoholic
06-01-2016, 07:07 PM
What kind of a STUPID ASS line was that? Toronto is filled with band wagon jumping fools! Just look at the all the wagon jumpers wearing their new Jays hats since last year. Most couldn't tell a ball from a strike.

jerrym
06-02-2016, 02:04 AM
The most priceless line was "Granted, the Argos don’t have two World Series rings to draw off of".

Paul Edwards wins the Jennifer Hedger Award of the week (its a weekly award because winners must remember nothing for more than one week).

Double Dare
06-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Paul Edwards wins the Jennifer Hedger Award of the week (its a weekly award because winners must remember nothing for more than one week). Is he a blonde also?

AngeloV
06-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Is he a blonde also?

Apparently he's not as hot as he used to be. Barely top 5 in his field. What can I say. Contrary to some beliefs, I'm an equal opportunist.

Note the smiley added.

:p

Double Dare
06-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Apparently he's not as hot as he used to be. Barely top 5 in his field. What can I say. Contrary to some beliefs, I'm an equal opportunist.

Note the smiley added.

:p Not that there is anything wrong with that. : )

7dj83r8f78t4alf8