PDA

View Full Version : Hazleton Expecting to Improve in Second CFL season

jerrym
05-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Vidal Hazelton is looking to improve on a very good first season. He

expects to hit the ground running when the Toronto Argonauts open training camp. The New York native enjoyed a solid rookie campaign with Toronto, recording 70 catches for 803 yards (both team highs) and four touchdowns. Hazelton figures his familiarity with the Argos' offence and Canadian football in general will only expedite his preparation for the 2016 season. "The verbiage, the plays, once we get into the huddle I'm sure it's going to start snapping back real quick," he said. "The way I am, I never want to stay the same as last year. "I definitely know for sure I'm going to be better this year. I know exactly what I needed to improve on and I've improved those things so I'm excited."
Hazelton anchored a young receiving corps that included newcomers Tori Gurley (58 catches, 791 yards, 10 TDs), Kevin Elliott (50 catches, 642 yards, eight TDs), and Diontae Spencer (36 catches, 502 yards, three TDs) as well as sophomore slotback Anthony Coombs (57 catches, 486 yards, one TD). Phil Bates, who appeared in two late regular-season games, had six catches for 123 yards and a touchdown.
The six-foot-three 212-pound Hazelton admits he needed time to adjust to the nuances of Canadian football, namely the unlimited motion and receivers being allowed to get a running start on their routes. But learning with other CFL neophytes accelerated the process. "It makes things easier as you don't feel like you must compete with the guys around you because somebody knows more than you," he said. "Everybody was learning together. This year should be different because we know what to expect ... we know how to get open and how to do each route off the waggle." ...
"At the end of the day we're all competing for jobs." Including Hazelton. "You can never put your head down and be like, 'OK, I'm comfortable,' " he said. "There's no being comfortable in football. We all understand that."
Hazelton certainly does. He was USC's leading receiver in '07 with 50 catches for 540 yards and four TDs. Hazelton transferred to Cincinnati for his senior season then spent time with San Diego, Cincinnati, Tennessee and the New York Jets after being bypassed in the 2011 NFL draft.

He played with the Boston Brawlers of the Fall Experimental Football League in 2014 before coming to Toronto. "Last year was so much fun for me," said Hazelton. "There was so much passion from the years I didn't really get the chance to just go out and let it loose. I had an injury to my MCL (medial collateral knee ligament) the year before I got here and really hadn't had the chance to just play."
So is opening the regular season June 23 at a refurbished BMO Field against archrival Hamilton, who swept the '15 season series. "That's a great thing," Hazelton said. "I'm friends with (Ticats starter) Zach Collaros and (linebacker) Simoni Lawrence and I've never not let them know how much we're coming after them." But Toronto has a bigger goal in mind with BMO Field hosting the Grey Cup game. It was last played here in 2012 and the Argos beat Calgary at Rogers Centre in the game's historic 100th edition. "It's a beautiful thing knowing the Grey Cup will be here," Hazelton said. "I've talked to guys who won it in 2012 and they told me about the joy they experienced.

http://www.timescolonist.com/toronto-argonauts-receiver-vidal-hazelton-having-fun-playing-in-the-cfl-1.2254237

Will
05-17-2016, 07:50 AM
He, Elliott and Gurley all have improvements to make in their 2nd CFL season. They started off the season really, really well last year, but faded down the stretch (possibly to be blamed on QB struggles).

7dj83r8f78t4alf8