PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the League and TSN will do some marketing of it's own.

R.J
05-18-2016, 02:44 PM
https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2016/05/18/cfl-goes-on-marketing-offensive-in-its-biggest-markets.html

I can't remember the last time the League actually marketed itself outside of the tv spots ("No Lead is Safe" and "This is Our League"). TSN will also provide a big marketing push. The idea is to not drown each other out, but I'm damned excited about this.

I guess Commissioner Orridge isn't too bad. ;)

Scooter McCray
05-18-2016, 03:48 PM
That's what I'm talking about. A complimentary strategy from the network, league and teams. The best advertising would be TSN actually discussing on a daily basis the CFL on its formats in Toronto.

TheHammer
05-18-2016, 04:00 PM
That's what I'm talking about. A complimentary strategy from the network, league and teams. The best advertising would be TSN actually discussing on a daily basis the CFL on its formats in Toronto.

Agreed. I don't know if anyone hear listens to TSN 1150 from here in Hamilton, but EVERYDAY they have Ticat talk. The Jim Tatti show, Marsh and Milton (love that one), the Ticats and CFL is ALWAYS front and center. You might say, well, it's the only show in town in Hamilton, BUT we are still in Toronto's market, and the Craptors, Jays and Leafs still get plenty of attention, along with the Mac Marauders and Bulldogs. There's no reason TSN 1050 can't do the same. Plug the Argos like they ARE a big deal, and people will buy in, and eventually they WILL be a big deal.

R.J
05-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Agreed. I don't know if anyone hear listens to TSN 1150 from here in Hamilton, but EVERYDAY they have Ticat talk. The Jim Tatti show, Marsh and Milton (love that one), the Ticats and CFL is ALWAYS front and center. You might say, well, it's the only show in town in Hamilton, BUT we are still in Toronto's market, and the Craptors, Jays and Leafs still get plenty of attention, along with the Mac Marauders and Bulldogs. There's no reason TSN 1050 can't do the same. Plug the Argos like they ARE a big deal, and people will buy in, and eventually they WILL be a big deal.
Feel the same way.

PullTogether73
05-18-2016, 05:21 PM

TSN 1150 Hamilton is more and more becoming my go-to sports radio station (I live in South-west Scarborough FYI).
Way more CFL (Tiger-cats centric) and CIS (Marauders centric) coverage with lots of overflow discussion to include info on other teams.
Marsh & Milton over TSN 1050 Overdrive (can't stand Hayes and O'Neill) and Fan590 Prime Time Sports (can take McCown in small doses only).
Generally avoid Fan590 because it is essentially Canada's Blue Jays/MLB network and I'm not a baseball fan.
The other TSN 1050 shows are fine with me, but I like Tatti for the midday show, so 1150 Hamilton is taking over for me.

paulwoods13
05-18-2016, 06:46 PM
TSN 1150 is good twice a day: noon with Tatti and 4-7 with marsh and Milton. Otherwise it's American syndicated content. Great if you love US college hoops. So props to them for 25 hours per week, thumbs down for the rest.

TheHammer
05-18-2016, 07:55 PM
TSN 1150 is good twice a day: noon with Tatti and 4-7 with marsh and Milton. Otherwise it's American syndicated content. Great if you love US college hoops. So props to them for 25 hours per week, thumbs down for the rest.

I wish they had their own regional morning show. Not a huge 'Mike and Mike' fan. I don't know why but Americans shout a lot when they talk sports.

jerrym
05-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Good to see the marketing is occurring on multiple fronts, but since it took decades for the low level of interest in the Argos to develop, this campaign must not only be strong but also sustained if it is to have a lasting effect.

BATKINSON001
05-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Good go to see the marketing is occurring on multiple fronts, but since it took decades for the low level of interest in the Argos to develop, this campaign must not only be strong but also sustained if it is to have a lasting effect. they will have to do it every year.

R.J
05-19-2016, 12:22 AM
Good go to see the marketing is occurring on multiple fronts, but since it took decades for the low level of interest in the Argos to develop, this campaign must not only be strong but also sustained if it is to have a lasting effect.
Based on the article the CFL will be pushing in the 3 major markets (Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal) - while TSN at least for now will focus on Toronto (with exception to the tv ads).

LLB997
05-19-2016, 12:25 AM
I saw one of those CFL posters posted around Church and Wellsley. I had business there really~!

AngeloV
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Based on the article the CFL will be pushing in the 3 major markets (Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal) - while TSN at least for now will focus on Toronto (with exception to the tv ads).

I guess we will see the rest of the country (particularly the west) start complaining about the Toronto Sports Network soon.

doubleblue
05-19-2016, 01:35 PM
I saw one of those CFL posters posted around Church and Wellsley. I had business there really~!

I heard that story before.

Will
05-19-2016, 06:34 PM
I wish they had their own regional morning show. Not a huge 'Mike and Mike' fan. I don't know why but Americans shout a lot when they talk sports.

I would have expected them to have local AM drive.

AngeloV
05-19-2016, 08:51 PM
I would have expected them to have local AM drive.

Jim Tatti has to sleep some time. He is the biggest workaholic in broadcasting. Yes Guy!!

KCargosfan
05-20-2016, 04:02 AM

Might be time to let that one go since they are in the Eastern Conference Finals.

jerrym
05-21-2016, 09:55 PM

A daily show would help address the void that is Argo visibility in Toronto.

ArgoRavi
05-22-2016, 02:52 PM
A daily show would help address the void that is Argo visibility in Toronto.

"Argos Lunch" sounds good. We can dream, can't we?

R.J
05-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Yes we can. Personally I (and Angelo for that matter) would love to see at least one 15 minute segment discussing the Argonauts during each programming block (excluding Leafs Lunch I suppose) - I think it's easy to pull of and would be "cheap" advertising for the team (and TanenBELL). Landsberg grew up an Argonauts fan and STH, Mike Richards loves the CFL (all football in general), Jamie Mclennan grew up going to Eskimos games, Hoagie ........... we already know about him, Cauz works for the CFL and on and on, so it should not be that difficult to make it happen.

BATKINSON001
05-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Yes we can. Personally I (and Angelo for that matter) would love to see at least one 15 minute segment discussing the Argonauts during each programming block (excluding Leafs Lunch I suppose) - I think it's easy to pull of and would be "cheap" advertising for the team (and TanenBELL). Landsberg grew up an Argonauts fan and STH, Mike Richards loves the CFL (all football in general), Jamie Mclennan grew up going to Eskimos games, Hoagie ........... we already know about him, Cauz works for the CFL and on and on, so it should not be that difficult to make it happen.. I would prefer atleast one half hour segment every day.

"Issues"Mcgee
05-22-2016, 04:51 PM

Hosted by Hogie and Naylor. With regular appearances from the CFL on TSN staff and Pinball.

argonaut11xx
05-22-2016, 07:31 PM

If TSN did "Argo's Appetizer", i'd be happy with that Mon thru Fri

R.J
05-22-2016, 08:05 PM
. I would prefer atleast one half hour segment every day.
Only 1 half hour segment per day or did you mean one half hour segment per block ?

BATKINSON001
05-22-2016, 09:45 PM
Only 1 half hour segment per day or did you mean one half hour segment per block ? 30 min a day minimum. Basically half an episode of Argos all access. Every day.

Or do a full hour cfl general show a day but a different team every day... so they don't run out of Argos content.

R.J
05-22-2016, 10:15 PM
30 min a day minimum. Basically half an episode of Argos all access. Every day.

Or do a full hour cfl general show a day but a different team every day... so they don't run out of Argos content.
So you want less Argonauts programming than what I and Angelo have discussed previously ?
One 15 minute segment each programming block - 15 (Naylor & Landsberg), 15 (Gameday Cauz & Wheeler), 15 (Richards 1-4), 15 (Overdrive) and 15 (Gamenight) = 1 hr 15 minutes everyday.

As for the second part of your post - Argos and now the Bombers have a weekly one hour "All Access" show, and we could eventually see the other TSN radio stations following suit, but I have a hard time believing TSN 1050 (or any other TSN Radio station) having a daily CFL show going in depth about the other markets.

BATKINSON001
05-22-2016, 10:19 PM
So you want less Argonauts programming than what I and Angelo have discussed previously ?
One 15 minute segment each programming block - 15 (Naylor & Landsberg), 15 (Gameday Cauz & Wheeler), 15 (Richards 1-4), 15 (Overdrive) and 15 (Gamenight) = 1 hr 15 minutes everyday.

As for the second part of your post - Argos and now the Bombers have a weekly one hour "All Access" show, and we could eventually see the other TSN radio stations following suit, but I have a hard time believing TSN 1050 (or any other TSN Radio station) having a daily CFL show going in depth about the other markets.. I will Take whatever I can get as a fan. Any content is better than none. I had not seen those posts.

T-Bone
05-23-2016, 10:16 AM
I went for a walk yesterday and spotted this at Queen and Dovercourt:

BATKINSON001
05-23-2016, 10:30 AM
I went for a walk yesterday and spotted this at Queen and Dovercourt:

735cool. Hard to see, the site wont let me zoom in on the image before it closes it.

T-Bone
05-23-2016, 10:59 AM
cool. Hard to see, the site wont let me zoom in on the image before it closes it.
It's four posters put out by the league glued onto the side of a wooden construction barrier. Looks like they're building a condo there. They say "Bring the Grit", "Bring the Hype", "Bring the Soul", and "What we're made of".

Scooter McCray
05-23-2016, 01:43 PM
I hold out hope that TSN will cover the team and CFL the way it should be on radio. Daily.

Kenners
05-23-2016, 09:54 PM
Glad to see the cfl commercial during the raps game as well as reilly being interviewed during the game.

R.J
05-31-2016, 03:22 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Downtown TO bus shelter ad for <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL">@CFL</a> not featuring <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a>. Brilliant for a market struggling to attract fans. <a href="https://t.co/c46Vgc5pCC">pic.twitter.com/c46Vgc5pCC</a></p>&mdash; Jason Osler (@jasonosler) <a href="https://twitter.com/jasonosler/status/737708989530640384">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PullTogether73
05-31-2016, 07:08 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Downtown TO bus shelter ad for <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL">@CFL</a> not featuring <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos">@TorontoArgos</a>. Brilliant for a market struggling to attract fans. <a href="https://t.co/c46Vgc5pCC">pic.twitter.com/c46Vgc5pCC</a></p>&mdash; Jason Osler (@jasonosler) <a href="https://twitter.com/jasonosler/status/737708989530640384">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sigh.
Well, technically the league is promoting the CFL, not just the Argos.
But this ad isn't going to resonate with people in Toronto. I can't imagine that the non or marginal fan will identify with the Ottawa REDBLACKS.
Sigh.

gilthethrill
05-31-2016, 07:26 PM
I may get in trouble for this, but will Jennifer Hedger be helping TSN promote the CFL?

ArgoGabe22
05-31-2016, 07:33 PM
I may get in trouble for this, but will Jennifer Hedger be helping TSN promote the CFL?

Well Foley suggests she wears a jersey during a broadcast. That won't happen me thinks.

R.J
05-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Sigh.
Well, technically the league is promoting the CFL, not just the Argos.
But this ad isn't going to resonate with people in Toronto. I can't imagine that the non or marginal fan will identify with the Ottawa REDBLACKS.
Sigh.
There are three promos going on right now. The League promoting itself, the Argonauts promos, and TSN promoting the League. I don't see what the issue is - it shouldn't be up to the League to promote the Argonauts.

R.J
05-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Dundas Subway Station
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjfbEUOXEAEs1oR.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjfbFkSW0AA_06U.jpg

Will
05-31-2016, 08:03 PM
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="737708989530640384" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This guy isn't wrong.
Promote the league featuring a player from that team's city. Shouldn't be rocket science. <iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

R.J
05-31-2016, 08:20 PM
This guy isn't wrong.
Promote the league featuring a player from that team's city. Shouldn't be rocket science. <iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>
As I noted 3 posts above - it shouldn't be up to the League to promote the Argonauts; again I don't see what the issue is. Should the League feature more Argonauts players in their Toronto promos; likewise BC players in the lower Mainland and Alouettes in Montreal; I suppose they should to a degree, but it's also about promoted the stars across the league and the league brand as a whole in the big 3 markets. The new Argonauts regime is upping their game here; maybe the Lions and Alouettes should do the same.

jerrym
05-31-2016, 11:28 PM
This guy isn't wrong.

Definitely. Fans cheer for their own team not some generic league team.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8