PDA

View Full Version : Predict the starting Argo offence

OV Argo
05-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Here goes my guesses:

QB - Fajardo, er, MacPherson; no wait - Ricky Ray-gun ;o)

RB - Whitaker; Dupuis at H-back; TBD import as back-up tailback (with Coombs able to take some reps there)

Receivers - Spencer (takes Owens' spot), the big 3 (Gurley, Hazelton, Elliott - i think they will survive challengers); Durie/Coombs at the hybrid slot spot; Brian Jones as the main back-up / other receiver on the roster (?)

O-line - Van Roten at C; Holmes & Van Zeyl at guard; Bourke & TBD import at OT; Wayne Smith & McEwen dressed as back-ups

AngeloV
05-21-2016, 11:54 PM
QB-Ray
RB-Whitaker Back up to be determined, but I would like to see 2 of Coombs, Whitaker and Durie always on the field between the hybrid and RB spot.
Receivers--Spencer, Durie, Hazelton, Elliott, Gurley (with Coombs, Jones, Dupuis and Wylie getting reps based on packages and situations)
O-line--T-Bourke and Van Zeyl; G--Homes and Van Roten, C-McEwan with Smith and Sewell as the main back-ups

I am convinced the Argos will start 4 Canadians on the o-line.

gilthethrill
05-22-2016, 07:52 AM
No mention of Cory Watman making the gameday lineup? I am going out on a limb, but I think McEwen starts the season as the starting C.

Will
05-22-2016, 09:48 AM
QB--Ricky Ray
HB--Brandon Whitaker
Receivers--Tori Gurley, Kevin Elliott, Vidal Hazelton, Anthony Coombs, Andre Durie (with Jones, Bates/Wylie in reserve)
OL--Bourke/Holmes/Van Roten/Smith/Van Zeyl (that's how I see it now; I'm not counting our eggs with McEwen until they hatch)

OV Argo
05-22-2016, 11:12 AM
QB--Ricky Ray
HB--Brandon Whitaker
Receivers--Tori Gurley, Kevin Elliott, Vidal Hazelton, Anthony Coombs, Andre Durie (with Jones, Bates/Wylie in reserve)
OL--Bourke/Holmes/Van Roten/Smith/Van Zeyl (that's how I see it now; I'm not counting our eggs with McEwen until they hatch)

Spencer is not going to make the team at receiver, and Durie AND Coombs will be in the starting 5 pack ?

Jayahre
05-22-2016, 12:18 PM
I think before the season starts the Argos will pick up Crompton from the Als and a good chance he will be at the helm on June 23rd

jerrym
05-22-2016, 12:22 PM
QB- Anybody's non-guess
RB - Whitaker
Receivers- Gurley, Elliott, Hazelton, Spencer, Durie/Coombs ( Jones and Wylie backups) (I suspect Durie will wear down at his age as season proceeds leading to Coombs being predominant Canadian receiver as season proceeds)
OL - Bourke-Holmes-Van Roten-Import-Van Zyl (Smith, Watman and McEwen backups with McEwen getting more snaps later in season as gains experience and Smith's injuries occur again)

Will
05-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Spencer is not going to make the team at receiver, and Durie AND Coombs will be in the starting 5 pack ?

Forgot about him.

I think before the season starts the Argos will pick up Crompton from the Als and a good chance he will be at the helm on June 23rd

Based on what?

Shatto
05-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Agree with AngeloV with exception that one of Hazelton, Elliott or Gurley will be replaced by Da'Rick. Also think Jones will see more action at various positions as the season progresses.

R.J
05-22-2016, 01:33 PM
OL = Bourke-Holmes-McEwen-Van Roten-Van Zeyl
Qb = Ray
Receivers = Hazelton-Wylie-Elliott-Durie-Gurley
RB = Whitaker
FB = Dupuis

You think Barker would pick Crompton up and that Crompton would start over Ray ?

Argo57
05-22-2016, 01:33 PM
Forgot about him.

Based on what?

You couldn't restrain yourself from responding could you.

paulwoods13
05-22-2016, 01:41 PM
I'll wait until after the first ex game to make predictions, but man we look deep at receiver. I count six INTs with CFL experience, plus two or three prospects who look promising as hell. I am really hoping we can find a way to keep the Big Three plus Spencer, Bates and at least two new INTs (say Rogers and either Wylie or C. Jones). Among the NATs, I want to hang on to Durie, Coombs, B. Jones and (assuming he's not too raw) Williams. Can't see Bradfield sticking around except maybe on the PR or IR.

Jayahre
05-22-2016, 01:44 PM
OL = Bourke-Holmes-McEwen-Van Roten-Van Zeyl
Qb = Ray
Receivers = Hazelton-Wylie-Elliott-Durie-Gurley
RB = Whitaker
FB = Dupuis

You think Barker would pick Crompton up and that Crompton would start over Ray ?

I think they need an experienced backup especially with Ray's injury problems and the Als seem to be loaded up with QBs. NO I wouldn't see him as a starter over Ray if he's healthy

R.J
05-22-2016, 01:47 PM
I think they need an experienced backup especially with Ray's injury problems and the Als seem to be loaded up with QBs
McPherson is an experienced back-up. Not to mention how high Milanovich is on Kilgore and Fajardo.

KCargosfan
05-22-2016, 02:31 PM

I hope so. Can't have enough Tennessee players.

jerrym
05-22-2016, 02:37 PM
I think they need an experienced backup especially with Ray's injury problems and the Als seem to be loaded up with QBs. NO I wouldn't see him as a starter over Ray if he's healthy

I agree. McPherson has never impressed me beyond second and short situations and even there he has had a few slip-ups.

paulwoods13
05-22-2016, 03:53 PM
The only way Crompton comes here, IMO, is if Ricky gets injured. I believe SM and JB are prepared to go into the season with Kilgore as No. 2 and McPherson as injury insurance. If RR were to get seriously hurt in camp or early in the season I could see going after an experienced vet, but not heading into camp. And IMO McPherson is not nearly as bad as some fans believe.

gilthethrill
05-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Was Crompton released from Montreal? Even if he was available, I don't want him anywhere near the Argos.

argotom
05-22-2016, 06:58 PM
I don't see the Argos signing Crompton, as there is no guarantee he will be released, however the Als site is predicting how he will be together with at least two more.
Now that they traded for Adams in BC, there is also Cato, Bridge., Glenn and Medlock.

AngeloV
05-22-2016, 08:07 PM

Based on what?

Come on guys...this is obviously a troll job.

AngeloV
05-22-2016, 08:09 PM
I don't see the Argos signing Crompton, as there is no guarantee he will be released, however the Als site is predicting how he will be together with at least two more.
Now that they traded for Adams in BC, there is also Cato, Bridge., Glenn and Medlock.

Huh? Did the Bombers release him as a kicker to compete for the Als starting QB job?

R.J
05-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Was Crompton released from Montreal? Even if he was available, I don't want him anywhere near the Argos.
I agree - we don't need rainbow arm here. He's not a very good QB IMO and while I'm not a fan of Milanovich; I will admit that he along with Barker have done a solid job finding young qbs. Me thinks this was just mikem/slimjim stirring the pot.

AngeloV
05-22-2016, 08:13 PM
I agree - we don't need rainbow arm here. He's not a very good QB IMO and while I'm not a fan of Milanovich; I will admit that he along with Barker have done a solid job finding young qbs. Me thinks this was just mikem/slimjim stirring the pot.

I agree we don't need him, but not sure what you mean by "rainbow arm". He has a very strong arm..it's accuracy he has a problem with. Tanner Marsh...there was a rainbow arm.

R.J
05-22-2016, 08:19 PM
I agree we don't need him, but not sure what you mean by "rainbow arm". He has a very strong arm..it's accuracy he has a problem with. Tanner Marsh...there was a rainbow arm.
Crompton's throwing style reminds me of Brink - heave rainbows and hope to god his receivers come down with it. I had high expectations for Marsh; he had some talent IMO and last years camp was considered to have the best camp out of all the Alouettes QB's; his issues seemed to all be the mental part of the game.

AngeloV
05-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Crompton's throwing style reminds me of Brink - heave rainbows and hope to god his receivers come down with it. I had high expectations for Marsh; he had some talent IMO and last years camp was considered to have the best camp out of all the Alouettes QB's; his issues seemed to all be the mental part of the game.

I was the other way. I thought Crompton had a chance, but none for Marsh. Marsh is one of the worst passers I have ever seen.

R.J
05-22-2016, 09:07 PM
I was the other way. I thought Crompton had a chance, but none for Marsh. Marsh is one of the worst passers I have ever seen.
Crompton still has a chance IMO, but it's pretty clear that Glenn is the stop gap starter, so I'm not sure what happens to Crompton beyond the 6 game IR. Marsh threw away all his chances - I wanted him to succeed, but he made the same mistakes over and over again.

Reggiemac
05-23-2016, 02:12 PM
I will be watching to see if Dillon Campbell beats out Coombs and I expect both Wylie and Jones to earn first team spots.

ArgoGabe22
05-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Some would argue Campbell won't get a fair shot. But I think Coombs will be a full time receiver now and won't get any reps at RB unless for the odd play. Campbell would be competing with Imports.

R.J
05-23-2016, 02:25 PM
I will be watching to see if Dillon Campbell beats out Coombs and I expect both Wylie and Jones to earn first team spots.
Campbell doesn't have to beat out Coombs; they play two different spots. I expect Wylie to earn a starting post; Jones would be nice as well, but I could see him start off as Wylie's back-up.

Some would argue Campbell won't get a fair shot. But I think Coombs will be a full time receiver now and won't get any reps at RB unless for the odd play. Campbell would be competing with Imports.
I hope Campbell gets a legitimate shot - I was very impressed with him in college; he reminds me of Cory Boyd.

OV Argo
05-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Coombs plays the hybrid slot spot but he could see some duty at tailback too. He may be 2nd string to Durie (if Andre stays healthy) or they may platoon at the spot.

Dillon Campbell is a tailback (though i guess he could learn the hybrid slot position - like Durie & Coombs = converted college ball tailbacks); I'd say Campbell has next to zero shot to beat out a vet like Whitaker - who is a fit as an all around back for the Argo offence, plus has led the entire league in rushing in a season befor); however - Campbell might win the main back-up tailback job, IF it is not pencilled-in for imports only (bet it is) = I believe Campbell could make the PR, or, plain get cut.

Brian Jones is a big bruising, old style slotback type and IMO he could easily win a starting spot there IF the offence wanted to deploy such style receiver - they did not last season, and anyways, all the other receiver spots in the 5 pack will IMO be pencilled-in for imports (Spencer, Hazelton, Gurley, Elliott - i'll guess); not sure how Wylie fits in, unless he is sensational at receiver in TC and beats out one of the above starters from last year; bet he has a shot as the main kick returner as a DI who gets some reps at receiver as well. Brian Jones might get some initial work as both a back-up slotback and H-back (subbing for Dupuis)?

KCargosfan
05-23-2016, 03:21 PM
How did Campbell do his last year of college?

R.J
05-23-2016, 04:01 PM
How did Campbell do his last year of college?
Rushing = 8 GP - 186 caries - 1115 yards - 139.4 YPG - 6.0 avg - 5 TD - longest gain 40 yards
Receiving = 8 GP - 15 REC - 1.9 Rec/GP - 208 Yds - 26 YPG - 13.9 avg - 0 TD - longest gain 40 yards

paulwoods13
05-23-2016, 04:09 PM
I expect Wylie to earn a starting post; Jones would be nice as well, but I could see him start off as Wylie's back-up.

Whom do you see Wylie beating out for a starting spot?

R.J
05-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Spencer

Will
05-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Spencer

Interesting.

Wobbler
05-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Campbell had a very good year (201 touches and zero fumbles? Very nice). His durability has been quite impressive; 371 carries over two seasons means he can handle a lot of work.

jerrym
05-23-2016, 08:05 PM

I think both will make the team, especially because both are receivers and returners, but Spencer will be the starter considering how well he performed in his few starts last year.

paulwoods13
05-23-2016, 08:12 PM
Spencer

I'll be very surprised. If he does, he's a hell of a player.

AngeloV
05-23-2016, 08:29 PM
I expect Wylie to make the team out of camp as the primary punt returner and spelling any of the starting receivers on occasion. IMO, he won't start ahead of Spencer out of camp.

doubleblue
05-24-2016, 10:59 AM
I believe Milanovich will start the season with almost all veterans barring injuries and work in the newcomers as required or when they show they are ready to take over.
I'm not so sure the Big Three receivers will automatically be pencilled in to start, because of the trouble Milanovich had with the continual penalties guys like Hazelton were taking. A game suspension was finally tried, but real competition might do wonders. That why I think Rogers and Wylie will get every chance to make the team if they are up to the job. I believe the signing of these top rated WR's was for the reason to give Milo some ammunition if certain players aren't getting the message this year.

AngeloV
05-24-2016, 11:07 AM
I believe Milanovich will start the season with almost all veterans barring injuries and work in the newcomers as required or when they show they are ready to take over.
I'm not so sure the Big Three receivers will automatically be pencilled in to start, because of the trouble Milanovich had with the continual penalties guys like Hazelton were taking. A game suspension was finally tried, but real competition might do wonders. That why I think Rogers and Wylie will get every chance to make the team if they are up to the job. I believe the signing of these top rated WR's was for the reason to give Milo some ammunition if certain players aren't getting the message this year.

I agree they will both make the team, but won't start..at least not at the start. A lot of good receivers have had to wait their time in this league before stepping into the starting line-up. Most notably SJ Green and more recently Derel Walker.

Jayahre
05-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Come on guys...this is obviously a troll job.

Is that trolling?? What I said was that the Als are loaded at QB. I can see them dumping and trading a couple of QBs, Crompton would be a good back who has CFL paying time experience. With the health of Ray in question and the possibility of not starting then Crompton could step in.

R.J
05-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Is that trolling?? What I said was that the Als are loaded at QB. I can see them dumping and trading a couple of QBs, Crompton would be a good back who has CFL paying time experience. With the health of Ray in question and the possibility of not starting then Crompton could step in.
You realize that Crompton's still in recovery from shoulder surgery and he will start the season on the 6 game IR, right ?

AngeloV
05-24-2016, 11:47 AM

Yeah, because anyone that follows the league knows that a vet QB that barely completes 50% of his passes will not have the interest of other teams. I believe you follow the league, so I believe it is a troll job.

paulwoods13
05-24-2016, 11:54 AM

Umm, what you said was: "I think before the season starts the Argos will pick up Crompton from the Als and a good chance he will be at the helm on June 23rd" That's nothing at all like the above statement.

Jayahre
05-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Umm, what you said was: "I think before the season starts the Argos will pick up Crompton from the Als and a good chance he will be at the helm on June 23rd" That's nothing at all like the above statement.

Well you can probably forget what I said, this announcement today about Cato so maybe the Argos can pick up Cato. Crompton could stay in Montreal.

Herb Zurkowsky @HerbZurkowsky1
Am told QB Rakeem Cato might be one of a number of #Als' veterans released this week. Team tried trading him recently.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HerbZurkowsky1/status/734865669540438016?ref_src=twsrc

R.J
05-24-2016, 12:10 PM
We still have Bates as well.

AngeloV
05-24-2016, 01:07 PM
We still have Bates as well.

No one is guaranteed a job, that's for sure.

R.J
05-24-2016, 01:54 PM
No one is guaranteed a job, that's for sure.
Hence why I think Wylie will start.

AngeloV
05-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Hence why I think Wylie will start.

Yeah, I just think that Spencer will have to lose his job before it's taken away. Camp is too short to determine these things, IMO. After the season starts, the incumbents will have to perform (and stay healthy) to keep their jobs.

R.J
05-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I just think that Spencer will have to lose his job before it's taken away. Camp is too short to determine these things, IMO. After the season starts, the incumbents will have to perform (and stay healthy) to keep their jobs.
Not disagreeing nor do I think Spencer doesn't deserve to start, but Wylie looks very impressive and I don't see Durie, Gurley or Elliott losing there spots. Bates for Elliott maybe, but I hope not as I'd rather see them both on the field, and IMO Hazelton and Spencer's spots could be up for grabs. Oline is an even bigger question mark to me - I think only Bourke and Holmes are locked in. Barker also brought in a lot of dbs (which Ravi called), so I'm really interested to see what happens there as you know how I feel about our defensive backfield. Sullen looks like a gamer IMO.

paulwoods13
05-24-2016, 04:34 PM
As I said previously, we need to find a way to keep all of our good INT receivers, which IMO means the five main returnees (discounting Kenny Shaw) and at least two more (possibly Wylie and Rogers altho other guys could emerge). Hamilton seems to have an endless supply of talented receivers and we need to (a) match that and (b) not lose real players for nothing. In this league some teams keep as many as 65 guys around (46 roster plus lots more stashed on IR and PR). With new owners, I sure as hell hope we are able to become one of those teams.

R.J
05-24-2016, 04:36 PM
In this league some teams keep as many as 65 guys around (46 roster plus lots more stashed on IR and PR). With new owners, I sure as hell hope we are able to become one of those teams.
Off topic, but I'd like to see the league put an end to this ("hiding players").

Will
05-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Off topic, but I'd like to see the league put an end to this ("hiding players").

But, until they do, and if it gives a team a competitive advantage then use it!

R.J
05-24-2016, 06:48 PM
But, until they do, and if it gives a team a competitive advantage then use it!
Tillman is notorious for it. IIRC Tillman and Austin's first year in Hamilton they went through over 70 players and when Tillman was canned in Edmonton; Hervey saved over $200k on the injured list. I agree that if every team's doing it you should take advantage - something that IMO we haven't seen the Argonauts do the last couple of years.

doubleblue
05-25-2016, 08:24 AM
I believe the main reason teams are starting to keep more players around now on the different lists, PR, 1 game, 6 game is the concussion factor. Player gets a whack on the head now and they are out until the Doctors give the ok to return. Whole different ball game now from the old way of taking a headache pill and getting back in there. But Hamilton did take the cake last year. They must have had 90 players floating around. Maybe the Tillman factor. Made for lots of free agents being available on the open market.

ArgoRavi
05-25-2016, 12:09 PM
I believe the main reason teams are starting to keep more players around now on the different lists, PR, 1 game, 6 game is the concussion factor. Player gets a whack on the head now and they are out until the Doctors give the ok to return. Whole different ball game now from the old way of taking a headache pill and getting back in there. But Hamilton did take the cake last year. They must have had 90 players floating around. Maybe the Tillman factor. Made for lots of free agents being available on the open market.

Since Tillman and Austin got to Hamilton, they have had 90 players floating around. You make a good point about concussions and I would extend that to saying that teams are more careful with injuries, in general, today than they used to be. If you look at player participation records from the late 1970s, it is is amazing how few players some teams used such as the dynasty Eskimos. I believe that Edmonton used fewer than 40 players for the entire season during at least one of their dynasty years.

paulwoods13
05-25-2016, 12:50 PM
I believe that Edmonton used fewer than 40 players for the entire season during at least one of their dynasty years.

The 1983 Argos team picture has 42 players, of which about 33 dressed for most games. The roster limit then was 34, I believe. Now Hamilton has 34 guys on various inactive rosters. What's good for the goose . . .

ArgoRavi
05-25-2016, 01:54 PM
The 1983 Argos team picture has 42 players, of which about 33 dressed for most games. The roster limit then was 34, I believe. Now Hamilton has 34 guys on various inactive rosters. What's good for the goose . . .

And the Argos didn't rest players during their final two meaningless regular season games that year either. Not resting Terry Greer allowed him to become the first receiver in history to go over 2000 yards in a season. He broke that mark late in the 4th quarter of the final game against Winnipeg.

argotom
05-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Huh? Did the Bombers release him as a kicker to compete for the Als starting QB job?

Not the same guy, they signed Jake Medlock out of Valdosta State who attended the Stamps mini camp, memory serves me where Matt Dunnigan was the HC before taking the disastrous position with the Stamps years ago.

AngeloV
05-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Not the same guy, they signed Jake Medlock out of Valdosta State who attended the Stamps mini camp, memory serves me where Matt Dunnigan was the HC before taking the disastrous position with the Stamps years ago.

Sorry, my bad.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8