PDA

View Full Version : Argos loading up

R.J
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/29/argos-loading-up

OV Argo
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/29/argos-loading-up

Compare the Argos off-season moves to the signings the Riders have reeled in - a whole whack of new players - mostly imports with impressive resumes (ex-NFL roster or NCAA stars).

Two teams who had disappointing seasons last year; seems to me - the Argos are putting most of their eggs in the Ricky Ray basket - which might not be a bad thing; but in terms of impressive new signings, plus getting rid of defensive stalwarts like Eiben, Parker and Shell - not sure I'd say the Argos are exactly "loading-up" for this season - so far.

UncleFester
03-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Some pricey vets unfortunately had to go because of the RR contract. But the departures on d are also a result of Chris Jones watching film and deciding who can't fit his system. I don't think the Argo d will be a concern its still keep your fingers crossed that they have some decent receivers amongst all these new signings.

RoRoYoBoat
03-29-2012, 11:04 PM
These guys had an opportunity last year with two different DC and didn't accomplish much. Sometimes you have to start over.

OV Argo
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
These guys had an opportunity last year with two different DC and didn't accomplish much. Sometimes you have to start over.

Yes - hope springs anew with every football season.

RoRoYoBoat
03-30-2012, 03:22 AM
There is still some time to acquire olinesmen. Wayne Smith would be a great start. As for the defense. Jones unit will consistantly improve over the season and by labor day he'll have an effective unit.

paulwoods13
03-30-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm not as worred as some folks are about the o-line. Van Zeyl is an excellent tackle, and I thought the o-line was better late in the season when Coughman and Eppele took over from Murphy and Robertson. Centre is a question mark -- I'd personally like to see Gagne-Marcoux moved there, but there are two other guys who can play centre in St. Pierre and Parenteau. Between those three, Andrew Jones and Jeff Keeping, I'm confident we'll find decent starters at centre and left guard. I wouldn't mind adding Wayne Smith but only at a low salary -- he has been injured far more often than he has played in recent seasons, and he hasn't been a consistent starter for a few years.

RoRoYoBoat
03-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Average line won't be good enough. You need to give Ray top notch protection otherwise this will be a fiasco.

paulwoods13
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Average line won't be good enough. You need to give Ray top notch protection otherwise this will be a fiasco.

VZ is definitely above average, and I saw nothing last year that led me to believe Eppele and Coughman can't also be above average. Other than Wayne Smith, who is pretty beaten up, whom would you like to see them pick up? Do you want them to start four NIs on the o-line? If so, it will be even harder to upgrade.

ArgoRavi
03-30-2012, 01:10 PM
I, like Paul, have confidence in the offensive line as it is presently constituted. Yes, I would have felt better if they could have retained Picard but I like the mix of youth and vets that the Argos have as well as their depth. The o-line played well - certainly above average - during the final half of last season IMO and, other than Picard, will return intact this year.

OV Argo
03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
I, like Paul, have confidence in the offensive line as it is presently constituted. Yes, I would have felt better if they could have retained Picard but I like the mix of youth and vets that the Argos have as well as their depth. The o-line played well - certainly above average - during the final half of last season IMO and, other than Picard, will return intact this year.

Tyler Holmes showing up for TC and given a chance to win an OT spot could be a very good thing; and not sold on the interior 3 now with Picard and Robertson gone; Gagne-Marcoux, St-Pierre and Parenteau could form a good 3 maybe though; count me in as worried about the O-Line somewhat.

Nob
03-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm not overly concerned about the potential starters that the Argos have. I would like to see them add more depth. Jones and Keeping help, but you can never have too much depth on OL. These guys get banged up all the time, and you are one hit away from having to sign a Pollari just to fill out the roster.

AngeloV
03-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Tyler Holmes showing up for TC and given a chance to win an OT spot could be a very good thing; and not sold on the interior 3 now with Picard and Robertson gone; Gagne-Marcoux, St-Pierre and Parenteau could form a good 3 maybe though; count me in as worried about the O-Line somewhat.

I would think Eppelle is a definite starter at RG. He looked pretty good when taking over for Robertson and should get better with each start.

Area 51
03-30-2012, 10:58 PM
If the OLine is going to have question marks, it's better to be on the interior because it's easier to find a G than a T. Argos are solid at OT with Van Zeyl and Coughman, no worries there. The good thing is they have an excellent OLine coach in McAdoo to help compensate for the unsettled interior.

OV Argo
03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I would think Eppelle is a definite starter at RG. He looked pretty good when taking over for Robertson and should get better with each start.

Not sure i can picture him beating out Gagne-Marcoux or Parenteau for a starting OG spot - both these guys have extensive CFL experience and Eppelle is an OT type with a bit of CFL guard experience; maybe if G-M has to go to C (if St-Pierre can't cut it there)?

And Van Zeyl and Coughman as "no worries there" type CFL OTs? - hard to believe they compare to any other CFL teams' starting OTs in terms of experience or ability; but maybe; and again - I'm hoping Tyler Holmes can show up for TC to be in the mix for an OT job.

paulwoods13
03-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Not sure i can picture him beating out Gagne-Marcoux or Parenteau for a starting OG spot - both these guys have extensive CFL experience and Eppelle is an OT type with a bit of CFL guard experience; maybe if G-M has to go to C (if St-Pierre can't cut it there)?

And Van Zeyl and Coughman as "no worries there" type CFL OTs? - hard to believe they compare to any other CFL teams' starting OTs in terms of experience or ability; but maybe; and again - I'm hoping Tyler Holmes can show up for TC to be in the mix for an OT job.

OV, I also used to think Eppele was made to play OT, but I was really impressed by what I saw from him at RG late last season and I will be very surprised if he does not start there this year. Coughman and Eppele were both better than the guys they replaced last year (which admittedly isn't exactly showering them with praise). As for Van Zeyl, I'm surprised you don't seem to rate him highly -- I think he has been consistently very good throughout his tenure at RT and could be on the cusp of an all-star-type season. I hope Holmes gets here, obviously, as it will really add depth and potential.

ArgoRavi
03-31-2012, 12:22 PM
OV, I also used to think Eppele was made to play OT, but I was really impressed by what I saw from him at RG late last season and I will be very surprised if he does not start there this year. Coughman and Eppele were both better than the guys they replaced last year (which admittedly isn't exactly showering them with praise). As for Van Zeyl, I'm surprised you don't seem to rate him highly -- I think he has been consistently very good throughout his tenure at RT and could be on the cusp of an all-star-type season. I hope Holmes gets here, obviously, as it will really add depth and potential.

I agree with you on all points, Paul. And if the rumours are true and Wayne Smith has now signed with the Argos, there may be the best training camp competition along the offensive line that we have seen in many years in Toronto.

gilthethrill
03-31-2012, 02:21 PM
I thought the o-line played admirably last season after starters Murphy, Van Z & Robertson went down. In Winnipeg late in the season, the o-line looked like a MASH unit during the game with Keeping coming off the bench when another starter went down. Late in that game, clinging to a lead with Dalton Bell at the helm, everyone & I mean everyone watching that game knew they were going to run the ball. The line opened up hole after hole for Boyd enabling the Argos to run out the clock & preserve the victory.

The addition of Wayne Smith is interesting. More competition in TC.

1argoholic
03-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Well they just added more O line depth according to another post in Wayne Smith. TO guy which is a bonus.

Argocister
03-31-2012, 04:31 PM
So we now have, Coughman and Van Zehl as the tackles.
For the inside line , those with some CFL experience are ;
Keeping, Jones, Eppele, Parenteau, St.Pierre, Gagne-Marcoux, Smith
With Pollari and McKenzie as "in training" ?
So which ones have the preference for right or left guard? And am I correct that there are 3 that can play centre? (Parenteau, St.Pierre and G-M?)

RoRoYoBoat
03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
VZ is definitely above average, and I saw nothing last year that led me to believe Eppele and Coughman can't also be above average. Other than Wayne Smith, who is pretty beaten up, whom would you like to see them pick up? Do you want them to start four NIs on the o-line? If so, it will be even harder to upgrade.

I would like five but four would satisfy me for this year.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8