PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts TV commericial

R.J
05-23-2016, 03:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ67WkHerao&feature=youtu.be

ArgoGabe22
05-23-2016, 03:11 PM
FYI will debut during the Raptors game. Somewhere a Mr. Braley will be watching (ok maybe not).

Will
05-23-2016, 03:39 PM
It is pretty clear that the marketing team is selling the "total game experience," and that the 4 quarters themselves are almost secondary. We as die-hards may not like that as much, but it is a necessary part of this marketing campaign. Torontonians always feel the need to feel like they are a part of something bigger, and that's what these commercials are going for.

R.J
05-23-2016, 03:54 PM
Part of the campaign
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/argos--new-ad-campaign-shows-off-how-different-things-are-for-the-team-now-192739268.html
https://s2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/JbPnn3wRj7PX8GLSJqufnQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2016-05-23/9fe8b340-211b-11e6-be94-17065fb7e432_Argos-ads-1.png
https://s1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/fqWZLlR76dN0eSgRwsRwqw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2016-05-23/a3edcb50-211c-11e6-b075-e312b5e22c6b_Argos-ads-2.jpg

Will
05-23-2016, 04:00 PM
They are also really emphasizing the tailgate. I can also imagine that the negotiations to allow tailgating took a long time and were not easy as there was likely resistance towards it. Probably important that nobody goes off half-cocked and ruins the tailgating experience for the rest of us.

R.J
05-23-2016, 04:03 PM
They are also really emphasizing the tailgate. I can also imagine that the negotiations to allow tailgating took a long time. Probably important that nobody goes off half-cocked and ruins the tailgating experience for the rest of us.Tailgating seemed to be the main component that Copeland always brought up.

paulwoods13
05-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Man, I really wish our org would get off its *&^ and do something this off-season.

R.J
05-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Man, I really wish our org would get off its *&^ and do something this off-season.
https://media.giphy.com/media/ZqlvCTNHpqrio/giphy.gif

Will
05-23-2016, 04:25 PM

No need to be snide about it.

Will
05-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Is Ricky Ray going to be involved with this ad campaign at all? Does it really matter?

I think not actually. The people that the Argos are trying to target here wouldn't have any idea who Ricky Ray is, IMO.

R.J
05-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Is Ricky Ray going to be involved with this ad campaign at all? Does it really matter?

I think not actually. The people that the Argos are trying to target here wouldn't have any idea who Ricky Ray is, IMO.
I think it would have been different if Collaros was our starting QB.

Wobbler
05-23-2016, 05:37 PM
The Argos' site has also abandoned the idea of using a player (or two) as the "face of the Argos", it would appear. I'm all for trying something different; Chad Owens was our most distinctive and photogenic player since... Pinball? but I never got the impression that he was well known in the city. Even if I'm wrong about that, Ricky Ray is no Chad Owens.

ArgoGabe22
05-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Maybe Ricky isn't the young energetic player they want to market to the younger crowd. I know the QB is usually the face of the franchise but I think a Luke Skywalker is needed more for this market rather than a Obi Wan or Yoda.

Will
05-23-2016, 06:15 PM
The Argos' site has also abandoned the idea of using a player (or two) as the "face of the Argos", it would appear. I'm all for trying something different; Chad Owens was our most distinctive and photogenic player since... Pinball? but I never got the impression that he was well known in the city. Even if I'm wrong about that, Ricky Ray is no Chad Owens.

He is probably going to go down as one of the more popular players in team history, but Owens had the misfortune of playing for the Argos at a time where their stock in the Toronto sports market was perhaps at its lowest.

As I said earlier, putting a "face" to the franchise probably doesn't apply for the Argos right now. It is something that may matter several years down the road, but not right now for who the Argos are going after.

AngeloV
05-23-2016, 06:55 PM
No need to be snide about it.

I disagree. Paul's remark was perfect.

OV Argo
05-23-2016, 07:02 PM
I disagree. Paul's remark was perfect.

Sure it was - if you're a team shill or employee maybe.

The "off-season" started about 6 or 7 months ago; just getting some marketing going now? - better late than never I suppose.

OMG - you're being critical of this amazing football organization ? - how dare you !

Will
05-23-2016, 07:04 PM

The "off-season" started about 6 or 7 months ago; just getting some marketing going now? - better late than never I suppose.

OMG - you're being critical of this amazing football organization ? - how dare you !

Totally not what I was thinking when I posted that.

Argo57
05-23-2016, 07:05 PM

Owens?
Is that the old Hawaiian guy that now plays in the Hammer?

jerrym
05-23-2016, 07:47 PM
It is pretty clear that the marketing team is selling the "total game experience," and that the 4 quarters themselves are almost secondary. We as die-hards may not like that as much, but it is a necessary part of this marketing campaign. Torontonians always feel the need to feel like they are a part of something bigger, and that's what these commercials are going for.

You've hit the nail on the head.

jerrym
05-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Even though Ricky Ray is key to a winning season, he was a young QB was already old emotionally and not likely to appeal to the casual or non-fan. Foley, or until he left Owens, would be or were better as salesmen. It looks like newcomer Bryan Hall could also fit the bill.

paulwoods13
05-23-2016, 08:17 PM

Some of us are never critical. Some of us are critical at times and not critical at times. Some of us are always critical. IMO the vast majority are in the middle category, a few are in the latter and a very tiny few are in the former. Everyone can sort themselves into whatever category they feel applies.

AngeloV
05-23-2016, 08:31 PM

Well we can't all be contrarians.

PullTogether73
05-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Advertise in the off season?
Yah, in the middle of winter, with the Maple Leafs and Raptors seasons in full swing, Torontonians are thinking about buying CFL tickets.
You must be wondering why you're not seeing Maple Leafs advertisements right now, correct?
Or perhaps you're too busy poring over the Christmas sale flyers for this December?:ohno:

jerrym
05-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Well we can't all be contrarians.

It would take all the fun of life if there were no contrarians.

Neely2005
05-23-2016, 09:01 PM

I'm not happy with Copeland not following through on his statement that they're going to focus on season ticket holders but the marketing campaign is looking good and I've said all along that it makes sense to start the campaign in May. Personally I would have started at the beginning of May but it's not very effective to start too early.

TheHammer
05-23-2016, 09:12 PM
That is a great commercial. Ads are good too. Clearly marketed toward 18-34 crowd. I noticed too how they did away with traditional marketing strategy, such as players, mascots, history or rivalry with Hamilton or Montreal, all of which means absolutely nothing to the people they are trying to engage. Get them to the games, engage them with the experience, and then they will learn about all that other stuff.

AngeloV
05-23-2016, 09:19 PM
That is a great commercial. Ads are good too. Clearly marketed toward 18-34 crowd. I noticed too how they did away with traditional marketing strategy, such as players, mascots, history or rivalry with Hamilton or Montreal, all of which means absolutely nothing to the people they are trying to engage. Get them to the games, engage them with the experience, and then they will learn about all that other stuff.

Well said.

R.J
05-23-2016, 09:32 PM
Some of us are never critical. Some of us are critical at times and not critical at times. Some of us are always critical. IMO the vast majority are in the middle category, a few are in the latter and a very tiny few are in the former. Everyone can sort themselves into whatever category they feel applies.
I hope I'm at least in the middle category.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> 30sec spot kicks off full marketing campaign (TV, digital &amp; radio) throughout Toronto that will hit the streets this week. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts PR (@Argonauts_PR) <a href="https://twitter.com/Argonauts_PR/status/734906901188743168">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

paulwoods13
05-23-2016, 09:39 PM
I hope I'm at least in the middle category.

Mos' def.

ArgoZ
05-23-2016, 09:44 PM
The marketing campaign looks to be a great start. It's time to promote the team now, no need to be paying for commercials in winter. The video has a cool vibe and not dorky or cheap like previous CFL spots I have seen. I still don't understand how filing some permits for a tailgate and paying someone to produce a commercial constitutes to no team related events, but that's just me.

TheHammer
05-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Well said.

Really rooting for you guys (off the field)

R.J
05-23-2016, 09:53 PM
The marketing campaign looks to be a great start. It's time to promote the team now, no need to be paying for commercials in winter..
One thing to keep in mind is the CRTC only allows a percentage of advertising slots to be sold for profit (tv and radio), and now with the team being partly owned by BELL; the team could easily have commercials during the winter. The only cost would be the production of the ad not the airing of the ad.

AngeloV
05-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Really rooting for you guys (off the field)

I may out myself by admitting this, but there were times when I felt the same way about the tabbies.

paulwoods13
05-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Great to see the commercial during Raps game, which undoubtedly had a huge audience. Also couple of CFL commercials, and Mike Reilly in the house and interviewed during the game. TSN is ramping it up.

LLB997
05-23-2016, 11:34 PM
Owens?
Is that the old Hawaiian guy that now plays in the Hammer?

the thought here seems to revolve around interest in the sport and franchise as opposed to any particular player. I think that there needs to be a bit of both, Fans like to invest themselves in a face. The blue jays didn't get punched in the mouth, bautista did. The Argos need a face to rally behind...i thought Owens would be that guy but apparently not. Hopefully some unknown player steps into that role because i dont think Ray is the guy.

AngeloV
05-23-2016, 11:42 PM
the thought here seems to revolve around interest in the sport and franchise as opposed to any particular player. I think that there needs to be a bit of both, Fans like to invest themselves in a face. The blue jays didn't get punched in the mouth, bautista did. The Argos need a face to rally behind...i thought Owens would be that guy but apparently not. Hopefully some unknown player steps into that role because i dont think Ray is the guy.

Should be Ricky Foley. That twitter fight he had with Jeff O'Neil last year was priceless.

Kenners
05-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Should be Ricky Foley. That twitter fight he had with Jeff O'Neil last year was priceless. i feel like Foley is starting to step into that role. Being home grown, outspoken and proud...it makes sense. I wouldnt be suprised if hes the one who will design the next Argos version for the CFL player inspired New Era hats...if they do it this year...which i really hope they do.

Ron
05-24-2016, 02:55 AM

First things first. Nobody would care that Bautista got smacked if they didn't care about the Jays first. In the grand scheme of things ... few give a crap about the Argos and the target market doesn't know (or care) who any players are. Thus they have to rebuild the brand first before anyone will start to care who puts on the jersey.

This is a great first step as it puts focus on what was a miserable failure in the Bills series.

PullTogether73
05-24-2016, 03:28 AM
This is a great first step as it puts focus on what was a miserable failure in the Bills series.

How does the current Argonauts advertising put a focus on the the Bills series?
Seems to me that the focus is on the Argonauts game day experience.
No mention of the Bills series.

Neely2005
05-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Do you guys think that the Argonauts should spend some of their marketing budget to run their advertisements on Rogers properties? Do you think that would help to buy some peace from Rogers?

BATKINSON001
05-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Do you guys think that the Argonauts should spend some of their marketing budget to run their advertisements on Rogers properties? Do you think that would help to buy some peace from Rogers?they'd probably air them with the overnight Infomercials just to spite the Argos. Anyhow the ad rocks and the posters look great, people are talking about them, hopefully that talk will become sales.

R.J
05-24-2016, 12:00 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/23/behind-the-scenes-of-the-argonauts-campaign-shoot/

Neely2005
05-24-2016, 12:06 PM
they'd probably air them with the overnight Infomercials just to spite the Argos. Anyhow the ad rocks and the posters look great, people are talking about them, hopefully that talk will become sales.

When you buy advertising air time you get a range (for example 7 PM to 9 PM) when your commercial will air.

Will
05-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Do you guys think that the Argonauts should spend some of their marketing budget to run their advertisements on Rogers properties? Do you think that would help to buy some peace from Rogers?

Do we know for sure that they haven't?

Neely2005
05-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Do we know for sure that they haven't?

I don't know. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

R.J
05-24-2016, 03:51 PM
http://strategyonline.ca/2016/05/24/what-is-toronto-argos-football/

Argo57
05-24-2016, 06:30 PM
I may out myself by admitting this, but there were times when I felt the same way about the tabbies.

I agree with this sentiment Angelo, Ticats are a pretty classy organization.
I was at a Hamilton open house a couple of years ago to which they said they want the Argonauts to be prosperous and healthy and sympathized with their plight (at the time).

R.J
05-24-2016, 06:42 PM

I agree with this sentiment Angelo, Ticats are a pretty classy organization.
I was at a Hamilton open house a couple of years ago to which they said they want the Argonauts to be prosperous and healthy and sympathized with their plight (at the time).
I agree. While I would like to see the Argonauts beat every team on the field (especially the Ticats) - I also want to see every team do well off the field. It's great for us fans and the league.

paulwoods13
05-24-2016, 06:51 PM
There are some ticats fans on the CFL forums who hate the Argos so much they'd like them to fold. Have no idea that without the Argos as a rival, the business model for ticats starts to look iffy. Both teams need the other to be successful, business-wise, but the ticats need the Argos more than the reverse. And the league needs both teams to prosper. Bob Young has understood this from the day he bought the Cats.

R.J
05-24-2016, 07:02 PM
but the ticats need the Argos more than the reverse. And the league needs both teams to prosper. Bob Young has understood this from the day he bought the Cats.
I don't know if the first part is true anymore - second and third are absolutely bang on IMO.

AngeloV
05-24-2016, 08:24 PM
There are some ticats fans on the CFL forums who hate the Argos so much they'd like them to fold. Have no idea that without the Argos as a rival, the business model for ticats starts to look iffy. Both teams need the other to be successful,

100% agree with this. We have all seen these people at games in Hamilton, too. I would say the majority of their fans are pretty good, but their bad 10% are a thousand times worse than any other teams bad 10%.

paulwoods13
05-24-2016, 08:43 PM
I don't know if the first part is true anymore - second and third are absolutely bang on IMO.

I think it's true in the sense that a CFL without the Argos might morph into an all-western league, but a CFL without the Ticats wouldn't really faze Argo fans or sponsors. If you're saying the Ticats are strong enough to stand on their own without the Argos, I think that may be true for a time, but not for a long time. There are too many other sports and entertainment options in the GTHA and eventually they'd start to seem like an afterthought. Hatred of the Argos drives a large-ish portion of their fanbase.

TheHammer
05-24-2016, 09:11 PM
100% agree with this. We have all seen these people at games in Hamilton, too. I would say the majority of their fans are pretty good, but their bad 10% are a thousand times worse than any other teams bad 10%.

Agreed. There are a few Ticat fans who are so blinded by their hatred of the Argos that they fail to see the big picture. But the majority of sensible Ticat fans understand the importance of the Argos. Bottom line is, if you're a CFL fan, you really don't want to see any team fold.

I think it's true in the sense that a CFL without the Argos might morph into an all-western league, but a CFL without the Ticats wouldn't really faze Argo fans or sponsors. If you're saying the Ticats are strong enough to stand on their own without the Argos, I think that may be true for a time, but not for a long time. There are too many other sports and entertainment options in the GTHA and eventually they'd start to seem like an afterthought. Hatred of the Argos drives a large-ish portion of their fanbase.

Huh. I'm not sure how things would go with the Ticats if the Argos ever folded. Rivalry with the Argos is a huge part of our culture, but we've also developed a pretty heated rivalry with Montreal and Ottawa (I still remember last year in Hamilton post-game show when they ran a poll asking who Ticat fans hate more.. TO or MTL... it was close, but more people actually said MTL). I think the Ticats would survive, but I do think the CFL would be basically non-existent in S. Ontario despite a team in Hamilton. People in Guelph, KW, Mississauga, London, and even St. Kitts look to TO for their major sports... not Hamilton. Hamilton would be a pocket of CFL fandom in a sea of indifference.

Neely2005
05-24-2016, 10:39 PM

Yeah when they start cursing at kids because they're wearing Argonauts gear it really says it all.

Neely2005
05-24-2016, 10:43 PM

Well said Paul. The funny thing is that a lot of those fans go on about how much the Argonauts and the City of Toronto suck, and then they cheer for the leafs, Raptors, Jays...

TheHammer
05-24-2016, 11:40 PM
Yeah when they start cursing at kids because they're wearing Argonauts gear it really says it all.

We're not all like that. A few bad apples in every bunch.

Well said Paul. The funny thing is that a lot of those fans go on about how much the Argonauts and the City of Toronto suck, and then they cheer for the leafs, Raptors, Jays...

Yeah, I've noticed that. I think with Raptors and Jays is they're seen more as Canada's Team. Although I don't like basketball, and while I did enjoy the playoff run last year, I can't bring myself to fully invest in the Blue Jays seeing as they're owned by Rogers.

But yeah the Leafs... don't get it. Hate the Argos but love the Leafs is something that's puzzled me for a long time.

Neely2005
05-25-2016, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that. I think with Raptors and Jays is they're seen more as Canada's Team. Although I don't like basketball, and while I did enjoy the playoff run last year, I can't bring myself to fully invest in the Blue Jays seeing as they're owned by Rogers.

But yeah the Leafs... don't get it. Hate the Argos but love the Leafs is something that's puzzled me for a long time.

I agree that you're not all like that however the group of bad Ticats fans seem to be a lot worse than any other group of CFL fans that we've ever encountered.

Well I'm glad that it's not just me that's confused by that.
:-)

PullTogether73
05-25-2016, 12:42 PM

I don't see any conflict with Hamilton sports fans hating the Argos while supporting the other Toronto sports teams.
Hamilton has a CFL team and they should support it. A local, long-running rivalry with the Argonauts is only natural imo.

Hamilton does not have a MLB/NHL/NBA team, so their local team would be the Blue Jays/Maple Leafs/Raptors. Fans can easily attend those teams' games.

The conflict imo is Hamilton sports fans dumping on the city of Toronto while supporting Toronto sports teams.

And I agree that there are many Tiger-cats fans that are terrific to talk with and have a terrific sports passion.
But, the ones that are obnoxious are over the top with their hatred of Toronto and give Tiger-cats fans a bad name as a result.
After attending both Argos "home" games at THF last year and listening to Tiger-cats fans who showed up specifically to cheer against the displaced Argos, I do not plan to ever go back to THF.

TheHammer
05-25-2016, 02:07 PM
I don't see any conflict with Hamilton sports fans hating the Argos while supporting the other Toronto sports teams.
Hamilton has a CFL team and they should support it. A local, long-running rivalry with the Argonauts is only natural imo.

Hamilton does not have a MLB/NHL/NBA team, so their local team would be the Blue Jays/Maple Leafs/Raptors. Fans can easily attend those teams' games.

The conflict imo is Hamilton sports fans dumping on the city of Toronto while supporting Toronto sports teams.

And I agree that there are many Tiger-cats fans that are terrific to talk with and have a terrific sports passion.
But, the ones that are obnoxious are over the top with their hatred of Toronto and give Tiger-cats fans a bad name as a result.
After attending both Argos "home" games at THF last year and listening to Tiger-cats fans who showed up specifically to cheer against the displaced Argos, I do not plan to ever go back to THF.

I love the City of Toronto. Beautiful, world class city. Wonderful, diverse people. Spent many childhood days at ROM, OSC, Ontario Place, Toronto Zoo, the Ex, ..

Will
05-25-2016, 06:57 PM
I don't know if I've heard of a Ticat shit on Toronto in general as opposed to just the Argos. You know what they say, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

PullTogether73
05-25-2016, 08:30 PM
I don't know if I've heard of a Ticat shit on Toronto in general as opposed to just the Argos. You know what they say, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Go to the CFL forum.
You'll get your fill there.
Toronto in general, as well as the Argos.

TheHammer
05-25-2016, 09:27 PM

Most Hamiltonians that I know really don't have anything against Toronto. Most complaints are concerning traffic, parking prices, and the fact that Toronto looks down on Hamilton.

Kenners
05-25-2016, 11:55 PM
Most Hamiltonians that I know really don't have anything against Toronto. Most complaints are concerning traffic, parking prices, and the fact that Toronto looks down on Hamilton. Torontomians complain about traffic and parking as well...and well we as a city tend to look down on pretty much every city in Canada....its why most of Canada hates us...hell we hate on ourselves sometimes....theres a reason why we're called "home of the screwface" :D

7dj83r8f78t4alf8