PDA

View Full Version : The Tiger Cats Are Thriving. Could the Argos Follow a Similar Pattern?

jerrym
05-24-2016, 09:30 AM
The Hamilton Tiger Cats are doing well both on and off the field? Could the Argos be following a similar pattern?

With the Hamilton Tiger-Cats thriving on and off the field, President Scott Mitchell says the corner was turned a few years ago.
A new stadium, 17 consecutive sellouts, two appearances in Grey Cup Championships and confidence in the on-field product are among what the Ticats have brought to the table over the last few years, emerging successful in all facets of the organization.
The transformation, Mitchell says, started with the vision of Kent Austin and a brand new stadium in Tim Hortons Field.
“I think we turned that corner a few years back,” said Mitchell. “The reality is you can only do so much when you don’t have a great facility and you also can only do so much when you don’t have a great product on the field.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/23/austin-tim-hortons-field-helped-ticats-turn-corner/

R.J
05-24-2016, 12:18 PM
To follow a similar pattern we would have needed to hire a better coach no ? ;)

AngeloV
05-24-2016, 01:07 PM
To follow a similar pattern we would have needed to hire a better coach no ? ;)

Boo to SnowRogue!!

R.J
05-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Boo to SnowRogue!!
Just pointing out what the story was about. Mitchell points out that it wasn't a coincidence the new Stadium and Austin came around the same time. We've got the new stadium, but no new coach - I'm expecting the same old same old from Milanovich & Co.

Neely2005
05-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Just pointing out what the story was about. Mitchell points out that it wasn't a coincidence the new Stadium and Austin came around the same time. We've got the new stadium, but no new coach - I'm expecting the same old same old from Milanovich & Co.

So more playoff games and Grey Cup wins?

R.J
05-24-2016, 02:04 PM
So more playoff games and Grey Cup wins?
I really don't want to go through this thing again, but it's been a couple of years since Milanovich has won a playoff game and a few since the Grey Cup.

jerrym
05-24-2016, 08:38 PM
I consider the problem in terms of winning to be more about the incredible rate of turnover, especially on defence, than on Milanovich.

ArgoRavi
05-25-2016, 02:03 AM
I consider the problem in terms of winning to be more about the incredible rate of turnover, especially on defence, than on Milanovich.

Milanovich has had to coach with one hand tied behind his back compared to Austin given the ownership issues and challenges resulting from those. They should be on equal footing finally this year.

KCargosfan
05-25-2016, 05:26 PM
I really don't want to go through this thing again, but it's been a couple of years since Milanovich has won a playoff game and a few since the Grey Cup.

Surprising, because it's not like he hasn't had the full support of ownership and a constant home field to play in.

Seriously, the fact we did what we did last year under the circumstances is incredible. Most clubs would have gone 4-14 under those conditions.

Neely2005
05-25-2016, 05:57 PM

If you don't want to go through it again why did you bring it up?

Milanovich has won 1 Grey Cup and 1 CFL Coach of the Year award in his 4 years as a head coach. Considering the circumstances I'd say that's pretty impressive.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/coach/scott-milanovich/

R.J
05-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Surprising, because it's not like he hasn't had the full support of ownership and a constant home field to play in.

Seriously, the fact we did what we did last year under the circumstances is incredible. Most clubs would have gone 4-14 under those conditions.
Are you trying to imply that Kent Austin, John Hufnagel, Chris Jones and Wally Buono couldn't pull of the same ?

If you don't want to go through it again why did you bring it up?

Milanovich has won 1 Grey Cup and 1 CFL Coach of the Year award in his 4 years as a head coach. Considering the circumstances I'd say that's pretty impressive.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/coach/scott-milanovich/
It was a joke. In the article Scott Mitchell brings up how Austin and the new stadium coming together around the same time was no coincidence. Jerrym in his op and thread title brought up "could the Argos follow a similar pattern". Which is why I made the remark - "To follow a similar pattern we would have needed to hire a better coach no ?" and winked to ensure people understood that it was a joke. We've got the stadium, but no new coach; get it ?

But seeing as how you want to bring it up and defend Milanovich. Yes, Milanovich has done relatively well considering the circumstances, but now that he has the new ownership and a permanent home for the team; does that mean we'll win considerably more games ? If Milanovich is such an amazing coach as some seem to heavily imply then we should lead the league in wins no ?
BTW, I'd love know know why the "offensive genius" has never lead this team to being the #1 offense in the league. It's funny how people overlook or forget that in Montreal Milanovich was OC in name only - it was Trestman's playbook, Trestman calling the plays and Trestman's game plan - Milanovich was essentially the QB coach; which I happily admit he's pretty good at.

Lastly, and I want to make this as clear as I possibly can. While I'm not a big Milanovich fan, the fact of the reality is he's our Head Coach, so I want him to succeed, but I will not apologize for expecting and wanting more from him and this team.

AngeloV
05-25-2016, 10:45 PM
It was a joke.

I guess I was the only one that got that. Hence the sarcastic Boo I gave you.

R.J
05-26-2016, 12:07 AM
I guess I was the only one that got that. Hence the sarcastic Boo I gave you.
Sometimes I think you're the only one that gets me AV.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/9MVH5pg8U2aJ2/200.gif

paulwoods13
05-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Sometimes I think you're the only one that gets me AV.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/9MVH5pg8U2aJ2/200.gif

I'm starting to. I think. 😏

7dj83r8f78t4alf8