PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Quarterbacks in CFL history!

R.J
05-24-2016, 12:14 PM
http://thegruelingtruth.net/football/t-2/

Calvillo may have the records, but IMO he shouldn't be #1 - Moon or Flutie deserve that honour. McManus being on the list was a bit of a shock, but I think I'm in the minority when it comes to him.

paulwoods13
05-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Laughable post. Tracy (misspelled name) Ham gets four long paragraphs at No. 6, No. 1 AC gets one sentence. Guess the writer got tired?

Regardless, Jackson at 10 is way under-rated; Allen at 4, McManus at 6 and Calvillo at 1 are all over-rated. Brock and Dunigan are probably under-rated. Moon and Flutie are close to where they should be, but neither should be behind Calvillo.

Off top of my head my order would be:

Flutie
Moon
Jackson
Dunigan
Calvillo
Allen
Lancaster
Brock
Ray
Dickenson

argonaut11xx
05-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Ham and Mc Manus, are a joke as far as top ten EVER are concerned.

That said, what a subjective question, yet a fun discussion anyway.

Damon Allen IMO was a "ham and egger", but he stuck around long enough to be the Cal Ripken of the CFL, not great but had longevity., damon would be my number 11 in a top ten.

Flutie has to edge out Moon as #1, Jackson is a lock at #3.

After that, so many to pick from, and Calvillo is most likely #4.

Add in the generational bias, i'd say a top ten is near impossible, but a top 3 is a lock.

R.J
05-24-2016, 06:45 PM
I agree with paul's list for the most part, but I'd take out Ray (for now) and add Kenny Ploen.

argonaut11xx
05-24-2016, 06:49 PM
I agree with paul's list for the most part, but I'd take out Ray (for now) and add Kenny Ploen.

Kenny Pleon, or Sam Etcheverry?..."and the beat goes on"

OV Argo
05-24-2016, 06:52 PM
Havent we had this discussion or list here before ?

Subjective for sure but IMO that list is a total joke.

Sorry, Calvillo would probably not make my top 10 - great longevity and played so many years when the league had evolved to heavy pass offence - kudos for the all-time passing records, but overall, pure talent wise - not NEAR the best : Pure QB skills/talent package + won lots of big games (GCs, play-offs) :

Big 3 (nobody else close to these 3 IMO): Russ Jackson, Doug Flutie & Warren Moon (and probably in that order but a toss-up)

4 - Dunigan

5 - Clements

6 - Ray

7 - Brock

8 - Garcia

9 - Lancaster

10 - Allen or Holloway or maybe Calvillo; or Kenny Ploen, or Bernie Faloney

Tracy Ham is IMO the all-time greatest running QB in football history (any league) and he had a pretty good arm, but just not near good enough a pure passer, and also had some weak seasons or did not come through in plenty of big games.

McManus - played a long-time and a gunslinger, but should be nowhere near this list pure talent wise - guys who had shorter carreers but way more QB talent than McManus - Dickenson, Dewalt, Austin for example IMO.

OV Argo
05-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Kenny Pleon, or Sam Etcheverry?..."and the beat goes on"

Joe King Kroll? Not including guys way back who I never saw play - might have seen Etchevarry a bit but don't recall seeing him - he should probably be in the top 10; did see some of Ploen and Bernie Faloney and IMO they were as good or better QB talents than Calvillo.

jerrym
05-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Its hard to compare across eras but I included Krol and Etcheverry because they dominated their eras before I even seen OV's comment. My top ten are

Flutie
Moon
Calvillo
Jackson
Ray
Dunigan
Lancaster
Allen
Etcheverry
Krol

paulwoods13
05-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Etcheverry was a major omission on my part altho I didn't see him play. I'd place him fourth on my list and drop everyone else down a spot. I'm also sentimental for Holloway but he really had only three best-in-class seasons (1982-84).

Will
05-24-2016, 09:30 PM
I would have Russ Jackson higher on the list. His statistics might not translate well into 2016, but the guy was a leader and his teams won, won, won. He retired in 1969 after what was arguably his greatest season.

Dieter Brock is probably in the right place (plus or minus a few slots); he along with Clements, Moon and Holloway helped usher in the pass-first era in the Canadian Football League. Brock is likely hurt by the lack of Grey Cup ring that resulted from playing second fiddle in the CFL West to Tom Wilkinson and Warren Moon.

Matt Dunigan should be higher than McManus, Ham and frankly Damon Allen.

Doug Flutie, Warren Moon > Anthony Calvillo​ but don't tell Als fans that or they might throw a tantrum.

Shatto
05-25-2016, 12:03 AM
There is one player not mentioned, who at least deserves to be considered in the top 10---Jackie Parker. Yes, he did play half back, safety as well as QB. He played in an era when salaries for NFL and CFL players were on a par. He was described by Ray Willsey,a long standing NFL coach as the best player he ever saw NFL or CFL. In the early 70's, 6 St Louis Cardinal coaches, while playing cards, discussed, if it were 4th down on the 5 yard line, with the game on the line, which player would they choose to get the ball in the end zone--2 chose Jim Brown, 1 chose Joe Namath but 3 chose Jackie Parker. He may not have been a classic QB but in the day when NFL and CFL were close to par, many picked Parker as the best ever. For that he should get consideration to be included in the list.

AngeloV
05-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Well, I really can only comment on the ones that I have actually seen play. So my post 1977 top 10 are as follows:
1-Flutie
2-Moon
3-Brock
4-Dunnigan
5-Garcia
6-Hollaway
7-Allen
8-Ham
9-Calvillo
10-Dickenson

Note: I think a lot of Argos fans may not realize how good Ham was, because Dennis Meyer tried to have him QB an offence he wasn't suited for his 1 and only year in Toronto.

I also admit to not liking Tom Clements as a QB, so please not comments on his omission....we've been through this 100 times.

R.J
05-25-2016, 12:52 PM
There is one player not mentioned, who at least deserves to be considered in the top 10---Jackie Parker. Yes, he did play half back, safety as well as QB. He played in an era when salaries for NFL and CFL players were on a par. He was described by Ray Willsey,a long standing NFL coach as the best player he ever saw NFL or CFL. In the early 70's, 6 St Louis Cardinal coaches, while playing cards, discussed, if it were 4th down on the 5 yard line, with the game on the line, which player would they choose to get the ball in the end zone--2 chose Jim Brown, 1 chose Joe Namath but 3 chose Jackie Parker. He may not have been a classic QB but in the day when NFL and CFL were close to par, many picked Parker as the best ever. For that he should get consideration to be included in the list.
Not including Parker in my list was an oversight. While I never saw Parker play; there are quite a few older generation fans that would put him in their top 3.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8