PDA

View Full Version : 2 Signings and 2 retirements at the start of training camp

R.J
05-25-2016, 02:25 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/05/25/187789/

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the club has signed international defensive lineman Ken Bishop and international receiver Deontay Greenberry.

The Argonauts also announced today that international defensive lineman Andre Monroe and international defensive back Devin Smith have retired.

Sucks that Monroe retired; I was really interested to see if he could progress from what he showed last season in Saskatchewan. Devin Smith IMO is no big loss as Barker brought in quite a few solid dbs for camp. Greenberry could be an intriguing prospect, and Bishop's a big boy - not in height (6ft), but 300lbs.

ArgoGabe22
05-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Just disappointing to see a DB with experience retire. It's something that the secondary lacked the last couple of years but at least Jefferson and AK are back.

AngeloV
05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Just disappointing to see a DB with experience retire. It's something that the secondary lacked the last couple of years but at least Jefferson and AK are back.

He has considerably less experience than Gerald Brown. I think he would have been hard pressed to make the team.

Will
05-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Well, the trade between Saskatchewan and the Argos was pointless as both players involved have now retired.

Jon Gonzo
05-25-2016, 07:16 PM
naw, Jerriel King is still with the Roughies. You may be getting confused with the Bruce Campbell Trade. From that we see Declan Cross and the neg rights to Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

gilthethrill
05-25-2016, 09:51 PM
I though Devin Smith is recovering from an offseason leg injury? Perhaps I have him confused with another Argo DB.

R.J
05-26-2016, 12:10 AM
I though Devin Smith is recovering from an offseason leg injury? Perhaps I have him confused with another Argo DB.
Smith did have off season surgery on his leg.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/25/argos-could-be-calling-cato

He hurt his knee and underwent surgery in December, placing Smith’s availability for camp in doubt.

Part of the reason why the Argos went out in free agency to sign veteran Gerald Brown was to fill the void for Smith, but at the same time, the club was hopeful Smith would one day return to the lineup.

ArgoRavi
05-26-2016, 02:14 AM
Is it possible that Devin Smith's "retirement" is only occurring to make room for another player on the training camp roster? Smith wasn't going to be ready for another few weeks but the Argos, by all accounts, still like him. Having him retire while he completes his rehab makes sense IMO.

AngeloV
05-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Is it possible that Devin Smith's "retirement" is only occurring to make room for another player on the training camp roster? Smith wasn't going to be ready for another few weeks but the Argos, by all accounts, still like him. Having him retire while he completes his rehab makes sense IMO.

Absolutely possible. As mentioned, teams are going to be pretty creative in camp with the reduced TC roster this year. Not surprised to see so many moves being made this early. I think anyone in the 3 day rookie camp needs to impress right away, or moves can happen before Sunday.

jerrym
05-26-2016, 10:01 AM

Isn't that called playing the game?

1argoholic
05-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Real nice to see a guy with great potential pack it in, speaking of Monroe.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8