View Full Version : CFL'sVP of Officiating Glen Johnson Expects Fewer Penalties and Shorter Games in 2016

jerrym
05-26-2016, 05:26 AM
The biggest change in the CFL this year is one the league is hoping you won't notice at all.
The CFL will add a video official to its crews for each and every game. He will be an eye in the sky to assist the officials on the field.
"The video official can weigh in only when the game has been stopped." said the CFL's vice president of officiating Glen Johnson. "They will never create a new penalty, they will never yell in the official's ear, 'throw a holding, throw a holding!' Their job, once the game has been stopped, is to make sure we're administratively doing things correct."
The CFL's top ref concluded his cross CFL tour on Wednesday in Regina. Johnson spent four hours with the Riders' coaches and one hour with the media to explain the list of changes in the league for this year. ...
Fans complained CFL games tended to drag on last year. The major culprits for that were penalties and video reviews.
The number of penalties was up nine per cent last year from 2014, mostly thanks to a new rule that forced players to change the way they played the game. Defensive players could no longer make contact with receivers past five yards down field.
Johnson said more penalty flags in the game is the opposite of what they want.
"Yeah it's not acceptable. There's too many penalties in the game, absolutely I believe that, I know fans believe that, coaches, everyone believes it, and we're working hard this year to fix that."
Johnson said they've changed a couple rules that, they hope, will take a couple hundred penalties out of the game. The league's goal is to get rid of two or three, if not more, penalties per game. ...

CFL training camps kick off Sunday. Training camp for officials will start sooner than that.
The CFL has eight new prospects that will have to first, pass a fitness test, a medical exam, and exams for rules and so on.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/cfl-officiating-1.3600255

AngeloV
05-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Chalk this up to I'll believe it when I see it.

jerrym
05-26-2016, 10:03 AM

I think there will be some improvement on both counts, but not as much as they think.

R.J
05-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Agreed.

AngeloV
05-26-2016, 12:05 PM
I think there will be some improvement on both counts, but not as much as they think.

IMO, the biggest problem in the league are the BS phantom roughing the passer penalties. One step after release of ball should not be a penalty. Not enough time for a rusher to hold up, and I won't even get into when a player barely brushes the QB and the flag is thrown.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8