PDA

View Full Version : 2016 1st overall pick St. John holding out

R.J
05-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Hmmm....... I wonder who his agent could be ?
http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/saskatchewan-roughriders-first-overall-pick-josiah-st-john-may-miss-the-start-of-training-camp

Found this bit interesting as well

According to Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette, Mateas and Chungh were both signed to base salaries of approximately $80,000, with playing bonuses of $20,000.
That's a lot of money for a rookie IMO. Tricky situation as well, but maybe it's time the league implements a rookie cap.

ArgoRavi
05-27-2016, 12:24 AM
I think that it is weird that the player wants to sign a 2 + an option contract while the Riders are only offering 1 + an option.

ArgoRavi
05-29-2016, 08:43 PM
The problem St. John faces is that there is little to no NFL interest in him so he really doesn't have another football option. The Riders seem to have all of the leverage here.

R.J
05-29-2016, 09:05 PM
The problem St. John faces is that there is little to no NFL interest in him so he really doesn't have another football option. The Riders seem to have all of the leverage here.
I agree, but if the numbers that are being reported are true - IMO St. John wants too much and the Riders are offering too little. Personally I think 1st round picks should make more than the league minimum and have some playing bonuses, but again it's speculation at this point, so I have no idea if the numbers are true or not.

Argocister
05-29-2016, 11:20 PM
When looking at Jones on one side and
Hardaway on the other ..... This impasse may last awhile and perhaps , as mentioned, have the CFL set the earnings of the top 5 or so draft picks.

1argoholic
05-30-2016, 03:45 PM
We live in a very distorted sports world when it comes to salaries except when talking about the CFL. This guy is just greedy. He has to look at what top veteran stars are making.

R.J
06-02-2016, 04:59 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;We&#39;d love to have St. John here but his representation has made it very tough on us.&quot; - Chris Jones <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Riders?src=hash">#Riders</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/sskroughriders">@sskroughriders</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/738456740824526848">June 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I hope future prospects stay away from Hardaway; it will eventually get to the point where no GM will deal with him.

ArgoGabe22
06-02-2016, 05:43 PM
He's now asked for a trade. Hometown discount?

Anyone else a bit shocked the Riders offered only 52 and $53k? 1st pick in the draft practically getting league minimum.

R.J
06-02-2016, 06:07 PM
He's now asked for a trade. Hometown discount?

Anyone has a bit shocked the Risers offered only 52 and $53k? 1st pick in the draft practically getting league minimum.
This situation is getting a bit ridiculous. IIRC the $52 and $53k offers were the Riders trying to readjust the market after 3 draftees last season received big deals (rumoured to around $80k base and $20k incentives).

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/mcnuggets-roughriders-playing-hardball-in-st-john-negotiations
http://3downnation.com/2016/06/02/ol-josiah-st-john-asks-trade-riders/

R.J
06-03-2016, 08:44 PM
http://3downnation.com/2016/06/03/top-2016-cfl-draft-picks-got-paid-relates-josiah-st-john/

A good read.

Argo57
06-03-2016, 10:04 PM
This situation is getting a bit ridiculous. IIRC the $52 and $53k offers were the Riders trying to readjust the market after 3 draftees last season received big deals (rumoured to around $80k base and $20k incentives).

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/mcnuggets-roughriders-playing-hardball-in-st-john-negotiations
http://3downnation.com/2016/06/02/ol-josiah-st-john-asks-trade-riders/

2 knobs (Jones and Hardaway) seeing who will blink first.
Glad we have Barker and our management team.

jerrym
06-03-2016, 10:17 PM
2 knobs (Jones and Hardaway) seeing who will blink first.
Glad we have Barker and our management team.

Amen.

zontar
06-04-2016, 07:15 AM
Jamie Nye covering for Riders brass with "market correction" spin.

OV Argo
06-04-2016, 10:31 AM

Football super-hero ego-Jones can do no wrong !

IF reports are true - trying to low-ball the 1st overall pick with a league minimum type offer = they deserve to be dealing with Hardaway and be told to p!$$-off.

St-John would be just a back-up/project there anyways - ego-Jones has OT pencilled-in for imports only in his 7 NIs only need apply thinking; St-John might get to play at guard eventually there to replace vets like LaBatte & Best = so he should hang around at league minimum wage waiting for a chance ?

Argo57
06-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Football super-hero ego-Jones can do no wrong !

IF reports are true - trying to low-ball the 1st overall pick with a league minimum type offer = they deserve to be dealing with Hardaway and be told to p!$$-off.

St-John would be just a back-up/project there anyways - ego-Jones has OT pencilled-in for imports only in his 7 NIs only need apply thinking; St-John might get to play at guard eventually there to replace vets like LaBatte & Best = so he should hang around at league minimum wage waiting for a chance ?

I hope Jones continues his hard ass ways, makes other teams more attractive than the Riders.
If I was the player and last years picks got $30-$40k more then I would tell Jones to f**k off as well.
Like I said in a previous post I like our management team and their philosophy which will make Toronto a more desirable destination for many players in the future!

OV Argo
06-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I hope Jones continues his hard ass ways, makes other teams more attractive than the Riders.
If I was the player and last years picks got $30-$40k more then I would tell Jones to f**k off as well.
Like I said in a previous post I like our management team and their philosophy which will make Toronto a more desirable destination for many players in the future!

I get a kick out of the Jones can do no wrong defenders; cuts outstanding player/ career Rider greats like Dressler & Chick saying it was all just about money (when wether actual reasonable pay-cut negotiations there ever took place is quite questionable); then goes out and signs over-rated Mo Price to decent bucks (stiffed there on the bonus looks good on them), and also signs lots of CFL free agents, including some other team's rejects (like Norwood, Denmark) to what would hardly be league minimum.

I guess the Jones defenders have no problem with low-balling the 1st overall draft pick - just a matter of "market correction" and shrewd management ? - LOL; and the notion by some that Jones has sooooo upgraded the Riders' Canadian content is very questionable too IMO = he's the exact same as Chamblin in thinking there = I only need to play 7 of those NI types - and it maybe shows in the way he's dealing with St John = views him as a back-up, "depth" player for the bench and those types do not make decent CFL pay-cheques.

R.J
06-04-2016, 12:29 PM
The Riders aren't to only team that tried to correct the market. St. John is the only one holding out though. TBH I'm kind of glad the Riders are taking this stance - if the $400k 3 year rumour is true; St. John is asking for way too much.

Argo57
06-04-2016, 03:16 PM
The Riders aren't to only team that tried to correct the market. St. John is the only one holding out though. TBH I'm kind of glad the Riders are taking this stance - if the $400k 3 year rumour is true; St. John is asking for way too much.

Agreed regarding his alleged contract demand, if he gets what last years top picks received that would be reasonable.
Either way I like seeing Jones struggle a little.

jerrym
06-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Agreed regarding his alleged contract demand, if he gets what last years top picks received that would be reasonable.
Either way I like seeing Jones struggle a little.

While from the Riders 52,000-53,000 is too low, his demand is too high. There should be a significant differential above the league minimum for a #1 overall draft choice, but nowhere near what they're demanding.

KCargosfan
06-04-2016, 11:18 PM

Agreed. There's no way St. John should sign for the league minimum when previous No. 1s got $80K.

The Riders print money. I find it absurd they are the ones trying to "correct" the market.

Wobbler
06-04-2016, 11:49 PM
http://3downnation.com/2016/06/03/top-2016-cfl-draft-picks-got-paid-relates-josiah-st-john/

A good read.
That *is* a good read. If Dunk's sources are correct, it sounds like the main reason for the standoff was an emotional/hysterical response by Riders' management to St. John's willingness to hold out, rather than any principled decision to reduce salary expectations.

If this could be resolved by our swapping Sewell for St. John and signing him to a $80/100/120K deal, that would be nice. It would be wonderful to help the Riders with their problem.

gilthethrill
06-05-2016, 08:02 AM
The two sides will come to an agreement before the season starts.

paulwoods13
06-05-2016, 08:42 AM
That *is* a good read. If Dunk's sources are correct, it sounds like the main reason for the standoff was an emotional/hysterical response by Riders' management to St. John's willingness to hold out, rather than any principled decision to reduce salary expectations.

If this could be resolved by our swapping Sewell for St. John and signing him to a $80/100/120K deal, that would be nice. It would be wonderful to help the Riders with their problem.

Sewell has been slow to develop, but I don't have any evidence he is going to turn out worse than or equal to St. John. I'd be OK with a deal but no way I'd offer that much money to a guy as unproven as St. John.

doubleblue
06-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Agreed. There's no way St. John should sign for the league minimum when previous No. 1s got $80K.

The Riders print money. I find it absurd they are the ones trying to "correct" the market.

If rumors are true that Hardaway was asking for 400,000 on a three year deal and that the Riders were offering 52,000 and 53,000 on a two year deal, I could then see where there would be a stand off. The St. John camp too high and the Riders too low. I could see the Riders coming up to 75,000 plus a small signing bonus. Put him on the 6 game injured list to start the season and they pretty well have their salary cap figure of around 50,000. But if Hardaway keeps insisting on something higher then this is headed for a train wreak. St. John IMO was the first pick more by default because of players going to the NFL and he was the only true CFL type Tackle available.
Sewell for St. John? Interesting. I guess we would see what each team thinks of Sewell's current value if it was ever discussed. Would Jones feel he is ready to play this year, or will he never be a player.

AngeloV
06-05-2016, 12:53 PM
I'm guessing that the only reason Hardaway is asking for 400k over 3 years is because of the ridiculously low ball offer they received from the Riders. I'm sure they know that he will not get that type of contract but probably are looking to force the Riders to trade him.

R.J
06-05-2016, 01:02 PM

Would be a bad deal for Saskatchewan IMO. Sewell still hasn't developed and might not have the ceiling that St. John has, but if a high pick were thrown in - IMO it would be a more equal deal.

I'm guessing that the only reason Hardaway is asking for 400k over 3 years is because of the ridiculously low ball offer they received from the Riders. I'm sure they know that he will not get that type of contract but probably are looking to force the Riders to trade him.
According to all of the reports - the low ball deal occured later on. Supposedly the first offer was around what the top picks got last season, but Hardaway and St. John wanted more. All speculation at this point I suppose.

paulwoods13
06-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Would be a bad deal for Saskatchewan IMO. Sewell still hasn't developed and might not have the ceiling that St. John has, but if a high pick were thrown in - IMO it would be a more equal deal.

I wouldn't do a straight-up swap for a 3 yr/$300k deal, and I wouldn't throw in a high pick no matter what St. John's contract cost. He's less proven even than Sewell, and there's no guarantee he will pan out as a 10-year starter, or even a starter at all. IMO that pick was a reach by Sask.

Wobbler
06-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Why would we want it to be a good deal for Saskatchewan?! ;) Such a trade would be, IMO, a face-saving gesture for Saskatchewan if St. John demands a trade to Toronto (a hypothetical situation to be sure). I've lost hope regarding Sewell, who has been awfully invisible for a guy Milanovich specifically called out as needing to step up in his third camp.

R.J
06-05-2016, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't do a straight-up swap for a 3 yr/$300k deal, and I wouldn't throw in a high pick no matter what St. John's contract cost. He's less proven even than Sewell, and there's no guarantee he will pan out as a 10-year starter, or even a starter at all. IMO that pick was a reach by Sask.
St. John was considered one of the top three offensive linemen and one of only a few that are believed to be able to play LT (very rare). Sorry, but IMO Jones would be an idiot if he took Sewell for St. John.
I hope you not suggesting that Sewell is better than St. John - if you are what are you basing this on ?

Why would we want it to be a good deal for Saskatchewan?! ;) Such a trade would be, IMO, a face-saving gesture for Saskatchewan if St. John demands a trade to Toronto (a hypothetical situation to be sure). I've lost hope regarding Sewell, who has been awfully invisible for a guy Milanovich specifically called out as needing to step up in his third camp.
Jones isn't going to make a deal to help out the Argonauts, so it's not about making the Riders a good deal, but given them a deal they find acceptable. I lost hope for Sewell last season - when two Americans with less than a week with the team started over him.

Argo57
06-05-2016, 03:01 PM
St. John was considered one of the top three offensive linemen and one of only a few that are believed to be able to play LT (very rare). Sorry, but IMO Jones would be an idiot if he took Sewell for St. John.
I hope you not suggesting that Sewell is better than St. John - if you are what are you basing this on ?

Jones isn't going to make a deal to help out the Argonauts, so it's not about making the Riders a good deal, but given them a deal they find acceptable. I lost hope for Sewell last season - when two Americans with less than a week with the team started over him.

Agree with what you are saying, if Sewell doesn't step up (and there is no indication he will at this point) that pick was a total bust.
Riders would be foolish to consider a 1 for 1 swap involving Sewell and St.John, it simply won't happen.

OV Argo
06-05-2016, 03:10 PM

Sewell was a repeat CIS all-star at OT; St John has precious little college ball starting experience on his resume and couldn't hold his starting OT job in his senior season at Oklahoma; Sewell is quite a bit bigger (taller & heavier) than St John - OTs are often valued for massive weight and longer frame/ arm reach;. St John might be favored by a lot of CFL thinkers because of his Div I resume, but smart scouts go by actual on football playing evidence - maybe you would have suggested that Eric Deslauriers was the way better receiver than Andy Fantuz coming out of college ball?. Sewell getting snubbed for playing time in favor or rookie imports instead? - gee, what a CFL shocker that is.

As far as NI rookie O-linemen pay-days - believe I read in the Ottawa Sun today that RedBlacks 1st round pick Jadson Lauzon-Seguin is being guaranteed 75 K this season.

R.J
06-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Agree with what you are saying, if Sewell doesn't step up (and there is no indication he will at this point) that pick was a total bust.
Riders would be foolish to consider a 1 for 1 swap involving Sewell and St.John, it simply won't happen.
While I haven't completely lost hope for Sewell - it's not looking good. At this point it doesn't even look like he's the number 1 back-up (Smith when healthy is ahead of him) and who knows about McEwen. I do think they need to keep Sewell around, because if Van Zeyl or Bourke go down they'll need him, but if they continue to play guys ahead of him - time to cut bait. As a fan of the Argos I'd take the Sewell for St. John trade in a second, but I wouldn't if I was Jones or anyone associated with the Riders.

Sewell was a repeat CIS all-star at OT; St John has precious little college ball starting experience on his resume and couldn't hold his starting OT job in his senior season at Oklahoma; Sewell is quite a bit bigger (taller & heavier) than St John - OTs are often valued for massive weight and longer frame/ arm reach;. St John might be favored by a lot of CFL thinkers because of his Div I resume, but smart scouts go by actual on football playing evidence - maybe you would have suggested that Eric Deslauriers was the way better receiver than Andy Fantuz coming out of college ball?. Sewell getting snubbed for playing time in favor or rookie imports instead? - gee, what a CFL shocker that is.

As far as NI rookie O-linemen pay-days - believe I read in the Ottawa Sun today that RedBlacks 1st round pick Jadson Lauzon-Seguin is being guaranteed 75 K this season.
I was very vocal about wanting the Argonauts to grab St. John.
What a stupid assumption. Why would I think that Deslauriers was better than Fantuz ? I saw them both play and Fantuz looked like a true slot; which is very hard to find IMO.

paulwoods13
06-05-2016, 03:39 PM

No, I'm suggesting that there is no evidence whatsoever at this point to prove St. John is better than Sewell, and the latter has at least taken snaps as a pro. St. John barely played in college, IIRC. So yes, trade one-for-one and sign St. John to a reasonable deal for an unproven player who could become another Mark Moroz. But no to a deal where we sweeten the pot, and no to a 3-yr/$300k deal.

OV Argo
06-05-2016, 03:41 PM
While I haven't completely lost hope for Sewell - it's not looking good. At this point it doesn't even look like he's the number 1 back-up (Smith when healthy is ahead of him) and who knows about McEwen. I do think they need to keep Sewell around, because if Van Zeyl or Bourke go down they'll need him, but if they continue to play guys ahead of him - time to cut bait. As a fan of the Argos I'd take the Sewell for St. John trade in a second, but I wouldn't if I was Jones or anyone associated with the Riders.

I was very vocal about wanting the Argonauts to grab St. John.
What a stupid assumption. Why would I think that Deslauriers was better than Fantuz ? I saw them both play and Fantuz looked like a true slot; which is very hard to find IMO.

OK - so what on earth would possibly suggest to you that St John is the better pro OT prospect than Sewell? - because you saw them both play college ball?; because St John was highly rated for the CFL draft (so was Sewell)/; because Sewell has not got much CFL playing time yet (and struggled in a start against the best DE in the league - Chick) - in a league where imports are vastly favored for playing time at a lot of positions including OT ?

Deslauriers had a huge receiving season playing Div I US college ball; Fantuz was a 4 time (! rare feat) CIS all-Canadian - both were top receiver prospects in the same draft class. Pretty obvious who turned out the better pro/CFL receiver; my guess is that some of CFL "scouts" would have assumed/bet on Deslauriers - just by the Div I resume.

R.J
06-05-2016, 04:01 PM
IMO 1 for 1 doesn't make sense for Saskatchewan, but if it does to others so be it. I don't know if St. John is better than Sewell at tackle, but what I do know is that Sewell in 3 years still hasn't worked his way onto the starting roster.

Wobbler
06-05-2016, 04:09 PM
I don't think anyone would argue that St. John has "shown more" than Sewell at this point. JSJ hasn't failed to contribute meaningfully to a pro team, though... which is more than can be said about Sewell.

I'd love to be hilariously wrong, by the way. My hypothetical trade is pretty unlikely, and it would be fantastic if Sewell split reps with CVZ this year and went on to become our new RT.

R.J
06-05-2016, 04:34 PM
I don't think anyone would argue that St. John has "shown more" than Sewell at this point. JSJ hasn't failed to contribute meaningfully to a pro team, though... which is more than can be said about Sewell.

I'd love to be hilariously wrong, by the way. My hypothetical trade is pretty unlikely, and it would be fantastic if Sewell split reps with CVZ this year and went on to become our new RT.
I'd have no issue with that - future RT sounds good to me, but how much longer does the team have to wait for Sewell to be ready ?
A little confused with the first part. St. John hasn't even shown more in college; Sewell has only shown that he's still not ready. I think it's more unknown vs relatively unknown if that makes sense.

jerrym
06-05-2016, 06:58 PM
No, I'm suggesting that there is no evidence whatsoever at this point to prove St. John is better than Sewell, and the latter has at least taken snaps as a pro. St. John barely played in college, IIRC. So yes, trade one-for-one and sign St. John to a reasonable deal for an unproven player who could become another Mark Moroz. But no to a deal where we sweeten the pot, and no to a 3-yr/$300k deal.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade provided the Riders allowed us to see if we can get a deal that works for both sides.

AngeloV
06-05-2016, 09:15 PM
According to all of the reports - the low ball deal occured later on. Supposedly the first offer was around what the top picks got last season, but Hardaway and St. John wanted more. All speculation at this point I suppose.

Yeah, I don't buy it. Riders media are the biggest group of homers in the country. They will always take the side of the team.

KCargosfan
06-05-2016, 10:49 PM
OK - so what on earth would possibly suggest to you that St John is the better pro OT prospect than Sewell? - because you saw them both play college ball?; because St John was highly rated for the CFL draft (so was Sewell)/; because Sewell has not got much CFL playing time yet (and struggled in a start against the best DE in the league - Chick) - in a league where imports are vastly favored for playing time at a lot of positions including OT ?

Deslauriers had a huge receiving season playing Div I US college ball; Fantuz was a 4 time (! rare feat) CIS all-Canadian - both were top receiver prospects in the same draft class. Pretty obvious who turned out the better pro/CFL receiver; my guess is that some of CFL "scouts" would have assumed/bet on Deslauriers - just by the Div I resume.

Are people not allowed to make opinions based on their own eyes?

Deslauriers putting up big numbers at Eastern Michigan doesn't count, because it's Eastern Michigan. :)

OV Argo
06-06-2016, 01:05 AM
Are people not allowed to make opinions based on their own eyes?

Deslauriers putting up big numbers at Eastern Michigan doesn't count, because it's Eastern Michigan. :)

I wuz asking a simple question - if he had seen both play college ball and concluded St John was the much better OT = i would have lots of respect for that opinion; drawing a conclusion on a player based only on media reports or the CFL's Scouting Bureau or assumptions based on the college ball program = much more questionable IMO.

NO E. Michigan guys ever made an impact in the CFL or NFL I suppose ?

KCargosfan
06-06-2016, 02:17 PM
I wuz asking a simple question - if he had seen both play college ball and concluded St John was the much better OT = i would have lots of respect for that opinion; drawing a conclusion on a player based only on media reports or the CFL's Scouting Bureau or assumptions based on the college ball program = much more questionable IMO.

NO E. Michigan guys ever made an impact in the CFL or NFL I suppose ?

Right on.

I was being sarcastic on the Eastern Michigan comment (hence the smiley face) because it is one of the three worst I-A programs in the country and is thinking of dropping the sport.

jerrym
06-10-2016, 03:06 AM
This seems to have become an ego game rather than a negotiation.

argolio
06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
This seems to have become an ego game rather than a negotiation.Better them than us.

Jayahre
06-14-2016, 09:52 AM
This seems to have become an ego game rather than a negotiation.

Probably not, it's his agent that is calling all the shots. Players don't negotiate, they pay agents to do that.

doubleblue
06-14-2016, 05:00 PM
I think it is very unfortunate for the young man St. John to be caught in the middle of this standoff. He should be in camp somewhere in the League as Canadian players with his size and skill don't grow on trees. This agent is an American I believe and probably doesn't understand the CFL all that well. Players seem to keep signing up with him apparently because he gets them NFL looks (or the promise to) more than others.
Somebody is going to come along one of these years and go to court against the Draft and may win if they get the right Judge. They have chipped away at most of the monopolies in Pro Sports. If they can have free agency after one or two years in the League, why not free agency coming out of College.
The argument would be that the rich teams would get all the best players. But with the current salary cap that would be difficult.

paulwoods13
06-14-2016, 05:17 PM
I think it is very unfortunate for the young man St. John to be caught in the middle of this standoff. He should be in camp somewhere in the League as Canadian players with his size and skill don't grow on trees. This agent is an American I believe and probably doesn't understand the CFL all that well.

St. John is an adult capable of making his own decisions. He chose to hire a high-profile agent and he chose to hold out. Presumably he was advised to do so by his agent, but he is not an innocent victim "caught in the middle" of circumstances beyond his control.

His agent's nationality is irrelevant, and I would suggest Hardaway has a deep understanding of the CFL -- he has been representing players in the league for years.

R.J
06-29-2016, 11:44 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Riders have signed #1 overall pick Josiah St. John!</p>&mdash; Rod Pedersen (@rodpedersen) <a href="https://twitter.com/rodpedersen/status/748299768074428424">June 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

About time.

doubleblue
06-30-2016, 06:58 AM
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="748299768074428424" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

About time.

I guess it will come out sometime down the road, but it appears Hardaway got a maybe 70-30 or 60-40 win if St. John finally agreed to a 3 year contract. Didn't hurt that RG Best is injured though. Everybody apparently made their point. Whatever that is.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

Jayahre
06-30-2016, 12:31 PM
His agent didn't do a very good job

According to TSN's Gary Lawless, the deal is for three years (https://twitter.com/garylawless/status/748302436683571200) and less money than St. John was offered on draft night (https://twitter.com/garylawless/status/748303918275256320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw), so it sounds like Saskatchewan got more of what they wanted in the end. If that's true, it's curious to see St. John end his holdout before the team even plays a game (their opener is against the Toronto Argonauts Thursday). If their offensive line depth had been exposed in competition, it might have given him more leverage to get a better deal. Also, St. John's agent, Johnathan Hardaway, has been known for plenty of hardball over the years, from NBA tryouts (http://sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/cfl_experts/post/matt-odonnell-works-out-for-raptors-but-is-nfl-his-goal?urn=cfl,wp71) toreturns to school (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric-plesius-kirby-fabien-carson-rockhill-among-prospects-090405705.html) (not really an option for St. John, though, as he played in the four-year NCAA rather than five-year CIS) to actual (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/what-happened-with-chris-ackie-s-holdout--how-will-increased-rookie-deals-work-000235622.html) holdouts (https://sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/cfl_experts/post/Muamba-Bombers-contract-talks-stall-over-optio?urn=cfl-358452), so it would seem curious that he would cave here. Maybe St. John wanted to get on the field, but doing so for what's likely less money than guys picked after him are making (http://3downnation.com/2016/06/03/top-2016-cfl-draft-picks-got-paid-relates-josiah-st-john/) doesn't seem that logical from this standpoint, especially as his leverage might have only risen if the Riders' line and Canadian content struggled without him.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/riders-save-money-on-josiah-st--john-deal--but-at-what-cost-014032801.html

AngeloV
06-30-2016, 01:27 PM
He should have fired Hardaway and started from scratch in negotiations. I think that would have looked good on him with the Riders, and he may have received more.

Argo57
06-30-2016, 02:45 PM
He should have fired Hardaway and started from scratch in negotiations. I think that would have looked good on him with the Riders, and he may have received more.

Agreed, what an idiotic scenario.
Wonder if players in the future will stay clear from Hardaway??

gilthethrill
06-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Let's see if this young man's CFL career can compare to another former lineman named St John...I am referring to retired former Ticat and Argo Jude.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8