PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Durie doesn't make the team?

KCargosfan
05-28-2016, 02:42 AM
He turns 35 in less than two months, is coming off two seasons ended by injury, and plays a position where 90 percent of guys are ineffective after the age of 33 and aren't wanted by teams (unless you are the Riders and want to pay an over-the-hill Geroy Simon $210K to do nothing). It's not like we are hurting for receivers, either, and he also has a hefty salary.

PullTogether73
05-28-2016, 03:29 AM
I've been wondering the same thing.
The abundance of players on the team who could fill the SB role makes this a real possibility imo.

doubleblue
05-28-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm sure Durie would be asked to retire rather than have to cut him if he has slowed too much. But he should still have value to rotate at the slot back position, along with his passport.

Argo57
05-28-2016, 09:46 AM
I'm sure Durie would be asked to retire rather than have to cut him if he has slowed too much. But he should still have value to rotate at the slot back position, along with his passport.

Agree 100%.
Durie has been a great Argonaut over the years and has shown perseverance in overcoming injury to even play in the CFL.
If he has slowed and his effectiveness is in question I would assume he would retire, hopefully the organization would find a way to keep him around.
Above all let's see how he performs in camp.

paulwoods13
05-28-2016, 09:55 AM
If he's healthy, no chance IMO. We will start at least one NAT receiver and the only other one capable of starting at this time is Coombs. Jones isn't here yet.

OV Argo
05-28-2016, 10:06 AM
If he's healthy, no chance IMO. We will start at least one NAT receiver and the only other one capable of starting at this time is Coombs. Jones isn't here yet.

Llevi Noel is a top notch receiver talent IMO ; some outstanding college ball production, good size and some very good athletic testing #s; he should have no problem IMO competing with a Hazelton for playing time - should come down to TC competition & production there; but it won't if most of the receiver spots are pencilled in for imports only ... except the hybrid slot job - and a healthy Durie there is a special talent for that job - not sure most get this - the league leading YAC yards ability that comes from superb tailback open field running skills; Coombs is good that way too, but no Durie IMO; Spencer or that new little import guy might be able to learn and have the skill-set to do well at that position if they chose to deploy an import there. But give Durie the TC chance to see if he still has it - if not, he retires or gets cut = nature of the beast in a tough sport.

Wobbler
05-28-2016, 11:16 AM
In addition to the usual difficulties for rookies trying to take away jobs from vets (short camp, limited opportunity to showcase their skills in a game-like setting), we're hosting the cup this year. We'll be thinking more short-term than usual, and a rookie who has a strong camp and hopes to displace a healthy vet on the basis of potential is likely to be disappointed. Next year is a totally different story, but Durie's job is safe for now.

jerrym
05-28-2016, 02:22 PM

I agree. I also suspect the Argos would find some role for him, such as development coach or at least goodwill ambassador.

ArgoRavi
05-29-2016, 03:06 AM
Llevi Noel is a top notch receiver talent IMO ; some outstanding college ball production, good size and some very good athletic testing #s; he should have no problem IMO competing with a Hazelton for playing time - should come down to TC competition & production there;

Hazelton has been a pro for a few years now and was the East's rookie of the year last year. Noel is fresh out of the Canadian university ranks. While Noel is a terrific prospect, I can't see him taking Hazelton's job at this point.

OV Argo
05-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Hazelton has been a pro for a few years now and was the East's rookie of the year last year. Noel is fresh out of the Canadian university ranks. While Noel is a terrific prospect, I can't see him taking Hazelton's job at this point.

I can't see Noel taking a starter spot either Ravi; however - Hazelton was a CFL rookie last year (with no real pro playing experience) and with zero knowledge of or understanding of the rules and nuances of the Canadian game; did you think it was impossible for him to win a starting job last season in TC? What I'm saying is I believe Noel has the talent (plus familiarity with the Canadian game) to compete with a Hazelton who is not exactly Terry Greer type talent (and who I was the least impressed with of the so-called big 3 of last years - some drops, dumb penalties and hot-dog attitude at times it seems) - it would not be out of the question for a rookie to have a great camp and earn some playing time in real, open competition - unless you feel that is just out of the question for Canadian rookies, but to be expected out of favored import players ? Were you busy down-playing Hazelton as a receiver prospect for the Argos last TC if somebody here opined he might be a good player who could get playing time? - no, eh? = funny how that works.

Wobbler
05-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Zicarelli's new article about Durie (http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/28/argonauts-andre-durie-returns-healthy-and-hopeful) is worth a look. Despite the title of the article, it doesn't sound like he's 100% to me. Fingers crossed...

jerrym
05-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Zicarelli's new article about Durie (http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/28/argonauts-andre-durie-returns-healthy-and-hopeful) is worth a look. Despite the title of the article, it doesn't sound like he's 100% to me. Fingers crossed...

Thanks for the article. Durie says "I'm going to ease my way back. I've got to really ease it back", which suggests he may not be ready for the regular season or even that he knows his health is still at risk. I hope he does make it. I love his style of play and his YAC yards, but I remain nervous about how long he can endure. Since many RBs go down during the season, maybe putting him on the injured list would be best in order to reduce the season-long wear-and-tear on his body.

Will
05-29-2016, 03:37 PM

FWIW, he was mostly off doing his own thing today separate from the rest of the team.

R.J
05-29-2016, 04:03 PM
I've said it before and all say it again - I think it's time to cut bait with Durie.

ArgoRavi
05-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Give Durie whatever time he needs to be fully recovered. The Argos are strong enough in the receiving corps that they can do without him for a bit if necessary.

R.J
05-29-2016, 09:07 PM
Give Durie whatever time he needs to be fully recovered. The Argos are strong enough in the receiving corps that they can do without him for a bit if necessary.
So why keep him then ? Especially considering Durie is most likely being paid on the higher end.

ArgoRavi
05-29-2016, 09:09 PM
So why keep him then ? Especially considering Durie is most likely being paid on the higher end.

Because he is still an impactful enough player that he makes the Argos better when he is in the lineup.

R.J
05-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Because he is still an impactful enough player that he makes the Argos better when he is in the lineup.
Did we miss him last year ? and with talented new players like Rogers, Wylie and potentially Jones do we need him ?

ArgoRavi
05-29-2016, 09:16 PM
Did we miss him last year ? and with talented new players like Rogers, Wylie and potentially Jones do we need him ?

Durie's absence could have been the difference between the Argos losing in the ESF and making the Grey Cup. You can't have enough good players and you especially can't have enough Canadians with the potential to produce significantly for you.

R.J
05-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Durie's absence could have been the difference between the Argos losing in the ESF and making the Grey Cup. You can't have enough good players and you especially can't have enough Canadians with the potential to produce significantly for you.
I disagree, but C'est la Vie.

AngeloV
05-29-2016, 09:24 PM

Until any of those guys prove they belong, they are only names. I didn't See Rogers at practice today, Jones is a rookie and injured, and Wylie didn't practice because of an injury, apparently a common theme in his pro career, so why would he be more impactful than Durie?

IMO, you keep the proven guys to start, and if they prove they are no longer capable, you still have the newcomers to come in and replace them. With the smaller TC rosters, not a lot of the guys in camp will be going home anyways.

R.J
05-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Until any of those guys prove they belong, they are only names. I didn't See Rogers at practice today, Jones is a rookie and injured, and Wylie didn't practice because of an injury, apparently a common theme in his pro career, so why would he be more impactful than Durie?

IMO, you keep the proven guys to start, and if they prove they are no longer capable, you still have the newcomers to come in and replace them. With the smaller TC rosters, not a lot of the guys in camp will be going home anyways.
From my understanding 75 (excluding non counters) is still the roster limit for Training Camps this season. I'm not saying those guys are as good as Durie, but IMO we didn't miss him last season and again IMO Durie is wasting a roster spot and cap room now. Those players could become impactful - they just need their shot. Durie can be an impact player when healthy, but that's a huge if as well.

AngeloV
05-29-2016, 09:43 PM
From my understanding 75 (excluding non counters) is still the roster limit for Training Camps this season. I'm not saying those guys are as good as Durie, but IMO we didn't miss him last season and again IMO Durie is wasting a roster spot and cap room now. Those players could become impactful - they just need their shot. Durie can be an impact player when healthy, but that's a huge if as well.

It was reduced to 68 + non counters this season. That means probably a dozen or so get sent home. And like I said, why is Durie's health a bigger concern than Wylie's? New players need to wait their turn if they are battling capable guys ahead of them on the depth chart. Derel Walker for Edmonton is a good example. Football has a lot of injuries, they will eventually get their chance.

R.J
05-29-2016, 09:49 PM
It was reduced to 68 + non counters this season. That means probably a dozen or so get sent home. And like I said, why is Durie's health a bigger concern than Wylie's? New players need to wait their turn if they are battling capable guys ahead of them on the depth chart. Derel Walker for Edmonton is a good example. Football has a lot of injuries, they will eventually get their chance.
I've read the 68 roster limit as well, but there's been a bunch of tweets from other teams media about the 75 rule, so either the media doesn't know about it (possible) or it's still 75 at least for this season.
As for the Durie part - we'll have to agree to disagree.

EDIT: AV just did a check and it does seem like the media members are getting it wrong. Sorry bout that.
https://cfldb.ca/faq/rosters/

As defined in the CFL By-laws, modified by the Section 14.02 of the CBA, teams are limited to 75 players under contract during the off-season. Training camp roster sizes are set at 68 players plus any non-counting players (current year's draft picks, two additional non-counter players, previous year draft picks which have never attended a professional training camp and any junior player). Non-counter players are defined as:

Players who have graduated from junior football and are within the club's territorial rights.
A current year draft eligible player who was undrafted.
A player who had been eligible for the preceding year's draft or one who may have been treated as a non-counter in the previous year's camp, provided that he has not participated in a CFL regular season or post-season game.

Starting in 2012, teams are allowed 12 roster moves during training camp. Previously, the number of player moves was unlimited.

On a date and time set by the league each season after each team has played their first pre-season game, teams must reduce their rosters to 65 players excluding non-counters. Roster cut-down to the standard 46-man roster is slated for 21 days after the start of training camp each year. The CFLdb Statistics main page under Important Dates will usually have the exact 65 and 46-man cut-down dates listed each year.

AngeloV
05-29-2016, 10:05 PM
I've read the 68 roster limit as well, but there's been a bunch of tweets from other teams media about the 75 rule, so either the media doesn't know about it (possible) or it's still 75 at least for this season.
As for the Durie part - we'll have to agree to disagree.

EDIT: AV just did a check and it does seem like the media members are getting it wrong. Sorry bout that.
https://cfldb.ca/faq/rosters/

No worries. And I have no problem disagreeing here. I admit that you have valid reasoning for your point of view. I just have a lot of faith in Durie. He looks in phenomenal shape.

R.J
05-29-2016, 10:09 PM
I just have a lot of faith in Durie. He looks in phenomenal shape.
Being Buck Pierce's biggest fan has changed my view on keeping certain veterans lol. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here - I like Durie - I just think it's time.

Scooter McCray
05-29-2016, 11:08 PM
He went down in the 2nd game last year. Surprised he's not ready to go. I want to give him the time to comeback if that is realistic and still possible.

jerrym
05-30-2016, 12:14 AM
Being Buck Pierce's biggest fan has changed my view on keeping certain veterans lol. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here - I like Durie - I just think it's time.

I saw Pierce in BC before he even went to Winnipeg and it was obvious then he was deeply damaged goods. His own family was begging him to retire before the concussion damage got worse.
Durie is not in the same position, but his health is a question mark.

R.J
05-30-2016, 12:40 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;He&#39;s a dog. He doesn&#39;t quit. He&#39;s got that killer instinct that you need&quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/AD3TWO">@AD3TWO</a> excited to be back on the field!<a href="https://t.co/Os6A1GJZpW">https://t.co/Os6A1GJZpW</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/737263605675085824">May 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

doubleblue
05-30-2016, 04:43 PM
Durie looks to be running ok to me. He probably doesn't run a 4.3 anymore buts he looks fast and is making all the cuts. I expect Milanovich to hold him out of the 2 ex games, or just give him a few plays to shake off the rust. A couple of swing passes or maybe a deep fly pattern. Something where he won't get blind sided going over the middle.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8